Forums

Topic: Next Nintendo Direct?

Posts 13,081 to 13,100 of 15,474

jump

skywake wrote:

Does anyone even care about CoD anymore? Not exactly the sort of game that ever comes up in my circle of influence.....

Depends on who you're talking to, for casual gamers it's a must play thing but for hardcore gamers it's a giant yawn. Kinda like movie buffs who can't be arsed watching something like Marvel and Minions or rock fans who aren't into Limp Bizkit and Nickelback or readers who don't want to read anything as stupid as 50 Shades Of Grey and Harry Potter.

In anycase having Call Of Duty wont hurt so why not.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Magician

@skywake @jump

Jump's perspective is on point. CoD, along with Madden / FIFA Futball, are the casual gamer's kool-aid. CoD is typically a best-selling game in Murica year in and year out. Although personally the last time I played a CoD was fifteen years ago, lol.

Top 10 Best-Selling Games Of 2022 In The US
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II
Elden Ring
Madden NFL 23
God of War Ragnarok
Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
Pokemon Scarlet/Violet
FIFA 23
Pokemon Legends: Arceus
Horizon Forbidden West
MLB The Show 22

Untitled

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

TheBigBlue

@Grumblevolcano I saw that just now. Again, this doesn’t mean a full direct is on the way. It could mean a Mini or a Partner Direct instead. Let us hype responsibly unlike the twitter folk

Wait, why do we need a signature? Eh, I don’t know. Here’s your signature.

FragRed

@TheBigBlue I agree. That’s much more likely what it’s going to be. A mini Direct or a Partner Direct. I’m not convinced the update to the site means anything more than that.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Grumblevolcano

@TheBigBlue Wave 5 is still unannounced even though the last Booster Course Pass exclusive track (GCN Waluigi Stadium) was announced for Tour today:

So I figure Nintendo's saving wave 5 for the next general Direct. Mini's possible though I feel it's unlikely, Nintendo's only had 2 of them in the Switch's lifespan (counting Mini and Partner Showcase as 2 different types of Directs) which were in January 2018 and March 2020. Even then, we know the latter was a result of the pandemic as GAME (the UK retailer) leaked that a general Direct was announcing the Lego Mario toys earlier that month.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Bolt_Strike

@Professor_Plumber Time doesn't really affect my reception. It was a disappointing Direct at the time and it still feels disappointing. I do like 3D World more now, but only because of Bowser's Fury. The main campaign still feels thoroughly unimpressive.

Really this E3 was a microcosm of my issue with the Wii U. I was expecting to see the more open exploration games, but never really got them and they had way too many rehashy linear platformers. The Switch has handled its lineup far better. It's everything I wanted the Wii U's lineup to be.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

GrailUK

I can't help feeling 'intense matches' is a hint, but I can't recall where I heard it before.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Noble_Haltmann

How long is it usually between the page updating and a direct dropping? Not to get my hopes up too much, but I feel like if Nintendo’s throwing their hat in the ring next week (the usual e3 week when the Xbox presentation, and summer game fest are happening) then it’s probably something pretty big so that they can compete. Otherwise they would probably drop it at the end of the month when they have the spotlight to themselves rather than get lost in the shuffle or look pathetic compared to other companies. That’s what they did last year with the partner showcase even though it was pretty loaded.

As far as the twitter drops we’ve had go, I personally don’t think they completely deconfirm a full direct. The vague 1-2 switch announcement could serve as a “brace yourself” for the actual footage we’ll see in the direct since Nintendo knows the game tested like trash and nobody asked for it. The Pikmin trailer was probably just the last little tease they want us to see before the game gets it’s own direct next month, and could have been deemed too small to be a direct headline (or maybe the game’s direct headline is the announcement of its own direct coming.) and the Mario kart dlc, as noted by others, could very well be in the direct too since it’s been suspiciously long since that twitter tease.

All that being said, I do think the switch is nearing the end of its life so while we could see a full direct, it might be more slight on the first party announcements similar to the February one. The only other things I would predict we see on the first party front are the Splatoon dlc, TOTK dlc, Prime 4 as the big holiday game and headline maker, and then one fall release to pad out the year like the long rumored 2D Mario or DK (and maybe primes 2 and 3, but I honestly have no clue what the chances of that are lol)

Edited on by Noble_Haltmann

One of two people in the world who thinks Sunshine is the best Mario game.

Anti-Matter

I will watch Wholesome Direct 2023 on 10 June 2023 for upcoming cute indie games.
Here is the link if you want to watch the Wholesome Direct 2023.

Anti-Matter

TheBigBlue

@Grumblevolcano I’m only basing wave 5 being twitter shadowdropped instead of appearing at a general direct because of last year. I remember people were on their hands and knees in the Nintendo comment sections begging for Wave 2 last year, and I believe it got announced at the very end of July. That’s a 4 month wait between waves 1 and 2. I think July is also going to be the Wave 5 announcement and release, because the same thing happened last year, Wave 2 was announced out of nowhere on Nintendo’s youtube and Twitter, so the same will probably happen to Wave 5 I would bet. But who really knows at this point

Grumblevolcano

More teasing about wave 5:

Nintendo very well knows that "I'm using tilt controls!" is a phrase most associated with Mario Kart (the online lobby message).

@TheBigBlue Wave 2 was a standalone trailer though the overall picture is important to take into account. If a general Direct happened last June, lots of people would've been massively disappointed because no TotK news and only 1 unannounced 1st party game being announced (Kirby's Dream Buffet).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

TheBigBlue

Here’s some Nintendo direct humor for y’all. This YouTube thumbnail makes me die laughing every time I look at it

Untitled

blindsquirrel

@TheBigBlue
I just love how it is a direct mini and the thumbnail has all these huge titles on it.

Currently playing: Pokemon Soul Silver, Mario RPG
Enos 1:15

skywake

@jump @Magician
I like stats so I did some stats RE CoD.... picked the PS4, took the ratio of PS4s per copy sold then adjusted each game so that the region with the highest attach rate was 1.... and .....
Untitled
Yep, America.....

Relatively speaking, almost twice as much love for CoD in NA than in any other region

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

jump

@skywake Call Of Duty having a higher rate in Japan than Europe is a surprise, I had always assumed it was more popular in the West and Japanese gamers don't care about it.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

skywake

@jump
Honestly the stat that surprised me more when I ran the numbers was how GTA was relatively more popular in Europe than NA. Not sure what that's about. Maybe Europe is more into the absurdity of GTA than NA?

But yeah, CoD is significantly more popular in the US. Probably explains some of how I'm able to be a bit confused about people talking about it like it's still the big system mover it was 15 years ago. I guess in the US, with almost double the interest, it still is

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

jump

@skywake GTA is a British game though, it appeals to us Brits sensibilities. We are more proud of it than
T̶h̶e̶ ̶Q̶u̶e̶e̶n̶ The King, sausage rolls and Man U all combined!

Nicolai wrote:

FragRed

@jump That depends, what sausage rolls are we talking about here? Greggs? Because of its Greggs then there’s no way us Brits would rate anything higher.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Grumblevolcano

Looking back, Nintendo gave BotW 5 weeks and 5 days in the spotlight before moving onto the next big thing (April 2017 general Direct). If they use the same approach for TotK, that would mean June 21st general Direct.

Though the gap after Big Run, the mystery of Everybody 1-2-Switch and the constant teasing about wave 5 does make me wonder if they'll do June 14th. Looking back at the Xbox showcase, the non-Xbox announcement embargo was 48 hours so Nintendo could still announce the Persona games Atlus accidentally announced for Xbox/PC yesterday for Switch in a Direct if it happened on June 14th.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

TheBigBlue

This reminds me of last year when people were trying to lock down a date for the June General Direct. The YouTuber Switchforce (total goof for the record) said that he was 99.998% sure or something like that, that a June direct would happen on the 15th. Then when he was wrong, he swung again after reading twitter rumors and said the 27. Lots of others said the same. Not only were they all wrong, a general direct didn’t even happen. It was a partner direct on the 28th.

I think the same may happen this year. Grubb said (guessed) July direct, so we receive a July Partner Direct, if we even get one.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic