Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate

Posts 1,121 to 1,140 of 1,843

toiletduck

Ok then at least my weapon selection instincts still work thanks for the advice.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

SKTTR

The game has no tutorial, but it has a notebook with all attacks and combos in it. Press the Plus-button and scroll through the various options until you find it.

The Maccao was easy. I beat him on my first try, even though my hunting skills were a bit rusted since the last time I played MH Tri (back in 2011 on Wii with USB keyboard and Wii Speak voice chat).
Also, my team was pretty good.

In my two fights against Barioth there was only one guy in my team who knew how to play the game. There are new players coming online, trying the game out for 5 minutes, then leaving the mission, and others that seem to learn the controls and explore the map before engaging in any combat.

Like I said, the demo isn't a representation of the final game. It has no hub, no story. All 3 demo missions throw you into a land full of monsters and you get a 25-minute time-limit to kill the biggest of them. It doesn't go well with all kinds of players. You cannot experience the calm times that the full game offers. You cannot experience the city hub, and you can't go collecting, exploring, and hunting at your own leisure (without a time limit), so don't be put off by the demo.

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

zionich

I think I might do Bow this go around. Watched Gaijin Hunters tutorial. Anyone else have any pointers?

3DS FC : 4914-6709-6917
Xbox Live : Zionich
PS4: Zionich
Switch FC: SW-1208-7413-3716

Azooooz

@SKTTR The demo isn't ideal for newcomers. Capcom did the same thing with its MHU3 demo on Wii U. I was literally smashing buttons with no idea what to do. The game is great, but Capcom should at least add control layout screen before the start of the game. I like Monster Hunter in general, and I can't wait for next week's release.

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

SKTTR

@Azooooz

The Switch Demo is better than the Wii U Demo though. That one was mainly arena combat. At least in the Switch demo you can explore and try stuff out on the Single Player maps, even though you still have only 25 minutes for each run and have to watch out for the big beast as it travels around the map.

Really, the best demo would be giving out the beginning of the game for free and then let players transfer their save file over to the full version (like Octopath Traveler and Disgaea 5 Complete).

I can see three good things coming from the Monster Hunter demo though:

1. If someone decides to download the full game based on what is shown in the demo, he will be positively surprised that he will get so much more and better than what he was shown.

2. With its focus on combat (in fact the demo has all weapon classes available), players that aren't into battle are automatically in the minority. Most players are longtime fans that are already skilled warriors/hunters that you can depend on in the full online game, but the demo makes clear that you can't stroll around all day; more fighters are wanted!

3. The demo is useful to get used to the controls and to learn battle mechanics. That might lower the appearance of absolute noobs in the full game.

In my opinion, the demo misses out on roughly 40% of the Monster Hunter essence.
Yes, combat and online are the main part of the game, let's say 60%, but the demo is 100% about it.
It's the other 40% that glues it perfectly together and gives it the right flavour that's missing in the demo.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

FattyWhale_42

Does anyone know if Wycademy points transfer? I have over 4.3m and I'd like to know if I need to go on a shopping spree.

FattyWhale_42

Switch Friend Code: SW-4410-3079-4430

FattyWhale_42

@Yosheel Yeah, but I haven't read anything at all on Wycademy points; so I was curious.

FattyWhale_42

FattyWhale_42

@Tsurii I've read that... I've also read DLC stuff gets deleted. So it's hard to know what's accurate, and what isn't.

FattyWhale_42

JaxonH

Oh my gosh, aerial Switchaxe is incredible!

Never played an aerial style before, and never played Switchaxe, so it's a perfect combination. I went with valor style Longsword in MHXX, and adept Charge Blade in Generations, so I wanna change it up this time.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ralizah

@JaxonH Aerial dual blades is amazing fun. You just jump around and attack like a hopped-up a-hole, and it makes pretty much any non-flying monster into a bad joke.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PC); Unicorn Overlord (NS)

Ralizah

@Tsurii Interesting. I might try that out in the demo!

Aerial-ing everything to death does end up feeling kind of cheap anyway.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PC); Unicorn Overlord (NS)

Eel

I've grown used to the adept style. It kinda helps me with evasion since I'm usually up there in the face of the monster or being chased by it.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

JaxonH

Seems adept, aerial and valor are the A-class styles. Guild has its place for classic combat, striker has its place as an art-heavy noob-friendly style, and alchemy is kind of the quirky odd-ball style, but I love it just because of how different it is. It'll be great for shaking up your play style every now and then if things get boring.

But adept, aerial and valor are all crazy fun. 3 versions of this game I'll have played, which is perfect because it offers a chance to run each of those 3 styles with a different play through.

Still need to give Prowler Mode a real, honest try though. I have tinkered around with it but I don't really know what I'm doing. I got my butt handed to me when I tried fighting a Glavenus as a Prowler. I couldn't figure out how to heal, and every time I died and ate an acorn I would come back to life with just a tiny portion of HP, which would then result in me dying again rather quickly, and again, and again.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

Striker gives 3 full arts, which is about as noob friendly as it gets. This is Monster Hunter. Everything is relative. Relying on arts is probably a good strategy for somebody who is new.

And aerial is fun, which is what it's all about. It's one of the absolute best styles to enjoy the game. Obviously if you're just spamming stuff and don't know what you're doing you're going to get yourself killed. That applies to valor style and everything else as well. I'm having a blast with aerial, which along with valor and adept, most definitely shine above the other 3 styles.

And nobody said anything about the other 3 styles not being good in any situation. Only that these three stand tall above the other three. These three stand out as the star of the show. Disagree or agree, I don't really care, but I stand by my opinion. Guild style isn't even really a style so that one doesn't garner any special appeal, striker style doesn't really do anything except give you more arts, so that one doesn't really garner any special appeal (unless you're new, and would rather depend on single button specials than learning special combat techniques that accompany the other styles) and alchemy which is pretty much panned universally as the worst of the 6.

So ya, I say those 3 are the best. Doesn't mean the other three can't be good in certain situations, doesn't mean certain combinations of weapons can't be great, or any other black and white inference someone wants to make out of that statement. But when looked at from a macro perspective, these three are easily the main appeal of the game. Everything else is either something you could already do in a previous game, something that people universally dislike the most, or something that just gives you one extra art.

Edited on by JaxonH

zionich

I have been just trying the guild bow style my self. It will take me a while to get use to the valor sheathing sense that's seems to be a viable way to do bows.

JaxonH

@zionich
I've found it best to learn the weapon in an unadulterated form (in your case, Guild style) before moving on to more advanced styles. I tried Switchaxe with Guild style to test the weapon before going aerial, because I wanted to get a feel for the weapon's full moveset. Now that I kind of know my way around the Switchaxe, I've transitioned over to the aerial style.

Once you get the bow down, i'd recommend seeing if gaijin hunter has any videos for valor bow. I hear it's a pretty rockin combination. But then again, valor with pretty much any weapon is a rockin combination

zionich

@JaxonH Thats some good advice sir.

I watched his video first before I have it a go. I just have a bad tenancy to always be Sword and Shield and I am trying to make myself try something different.

MsJubilee

Capcom released an awful demo. The game just throws into the fire without any explanation. That's gonna turn off a lot of newcomers(like myself) off.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic