Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin

Posts 141 to 160 of 652

Snaplocket

@JaxonH There's no way Yokai Watch 4 would sell 200k in the West when neither 2 or 3 sold anywhere near that in the West.

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

JaxonH

@Snaplocket
I disagree. 3DS was not nearly as popular as Switch in the west, and niche Japanese titles are consistently selling 500k and up. And Yokai Watch 4 was a lot higher budget and had caught alot of attention.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: MH Stories 2, Zelda Skyward Sword, Neo TWEWY
3DS: MH Stories, Metroid Samus Returns
PC/SteamDeck: Mass Effect Legendary Ed.
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR
NS: Metroid Dread, SMTV, Monkey Ball, Cruis'n Blast

Jesus is Lord.

Grumblevolcano

@Snaplocket 2 and 3 were localized for 3DS too close to the Switch era to truly determine its potential. Pokemon Gen 7 were the only 3DS games from fall 2016 onwards that weren't affected by the Switch.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Snaplocket

@JaxonH Yokai Watch 4 barely broke 200k in Japan where the series regularly sold millions. That alone says everything.

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

JaxonH

@Snaplocket
It doesn't say everything though. It's poor performance in Japan was in Japan, and would not necessarily translate to the west. Besides which,, nearly every single game nowadays sells far more in the west than Japan. For whatever reason, it didn't do as well as previous entries in Japan. But it still could have matched if not doubled the JP performance with a western release, especially at a time people were thirsty for a new home console Pokémon and were disappointed by Let's Go.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Dezzy

Octane wrote:

@JaxonH I mean, it definitely looks better than Pokemon,

Yeah why doesn't Pokemon look this good? They clearly have the budget.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

VoidofLight

@Dezzy Games are second thought and the devs aren't good with 3D games. They're masters of the art of pixel art, but switched to 3D given that people were complaining that they didn't switch. Not to mention most of the budget goes to the merch and anime, with the games only really being produced to keep the flow of regions and pokemon for said merch.

(Insert creative or cool phrase here.)

Octane

@JaxonH One of my complaints of Pokemon is the wide movepools, making a lot of them redudant, so I'm not sure if putting any move on any creature is a good idea

Does MH Stories also have more than one move slot? Is there something like elements/types, physical/special moves. Status moves that don't inflict any damage? I'm trying to find out how much of a strategy there is. I assume all the monsters have their own stats, like attack, defence, speed.

@Dezzy Why put more resources into something that is going to sell regardless? I mean, I agree, it can be a lot better, but a lot of people buy anything with Pokemon slapped on it. The fact that they do games annually doesn't help either (though this could be alleviated with more/larger dev teams).

Octane

JaxonH

@Octane
There's a wide variety of moves in MH, but they're not like Pokémon where they're redundant. Each monster is meticulously designed, with a moveset unique to them and only them. Basically it's letting us customize what moves we want on which monster through skill transfer. You're not stuck with just it's natural moves forever if you don't want it to be. Not freely, obviously, there's systems in place to customize moves. But it does mean you're not necessarily confined to only using a specific element for a monster. Or confined to no element if its a monster without any elemental attacks.

So ya, elemental damage is a thing. Certain monsters have certain weaknesses. And each attack in the triangle can be predicted by the monster tells, so the better you learn the monsters' tells the more you'll be able to use an attack type they're weak to

There's plenty of strategy. It's Monster Hunter, after all. That said, don't expect brutal difficulty for the main story. Obviously they're changing some things about combat this time to improve it, so we don't have all the details.

PLAYING
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

DomGC

@Octane it's basically Pokemon/Megaten combat with the regular attack being split into three for that rock-paper-scissors mechanic.
I'm not sure if there's an actual physical and special attack stat split but the game does have elemental attacks, status moves and buffs/debuffs. The demo on mobile /3ds ends just shy off unlocking the Gen transferring and it being the start of the game means it's fairly easy but that should give you a decent enough idea of what's gonna be possible later on.

Edited on by DomGC

DomGC

DomGC

@JaxonH they don't actually seem to change anything about the combat outside of adding a partner during battles. I've not seen anything that's different or new in the previews so far.

DomGC

Octane

@DomGC As in, you can pick between three different moves? Or are the moves in a rock/paper/scissors category (instead of physical/special)?

Octane

DomGC

@Octane if you go for a regular attack you pick one of the three types.
Everything else is in a list, most of those moves cost "kinship" which is basically like mana that builds up during each fight depending on what you do (for example, if you pick the strong attack type to whatever the enemy does you get a little more kinship, you get a little kinship with each turn regardless tho)
The moves that cost kinship can be the three types or neutral. It's got a decent amount of depth to it but, unfortunately, the main game doesn't really make use of it.

I felt the level curve was a little off in that it starts off challenging but not impossible with an easier second and final stretch. The mid-game has a pretty weird difficulty spike, imo

DomGC

VoidofLight

It's honestly nothing like Pokemon, since it's it's own thing. It's like saying "Persona is like pokemon" or "SMT is like Pokemon". They're all different series with nothing similar except for collecting monsters.

DomGC

@VoidofLight the basic concept and gameplay of all of those is the exact same.

DomGC

VoidofLight

@DomGC The concept of collecting creatures is the same, but that's effectively it. All the rest are entirely different in comparison.

DomGC

@VoidofLight the only big difference between the battle mechanics of (more recent) Megaten and Pokémon is the press turn system. 🤷‍♂️

DomGC

JaxonH

Fact sheet

Untitled

Btw, you can never say the only similarity is catching monsters (although that is the biggest aspect defining the games, which means it’s the main point of comparison). There are infinite degrees of freedom along which you could make comparisons. Both are video games. Both are on Switch. Both are RPGs. Both have turn based battles. Both have a separate battle screen. Both have monsters appearing on the overworld. Both have monster weaknesses. Both allow skill customization. Both involve collecting. Both involve elements. Both have special attacks that use a limited resource (MP, Kinship, etc). Both have P2P. Both have co-op. Both have somewhat open areas. Etc. Etc. Comparisons can be made between anything. You can compare Zelda and Tetris and probably list 50 similar aspects they have in common. Likewise, there are infinite degrees of freedom along which you could contrast differences.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Tyranexx

As much as I enjoyed the first MHS, the fact that they kept the term "Monsties" makes me both smile and groan lol.

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Professor Layton and the Spectre's Call

Switch Friend Code: SW-3478-2466-4791 | Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

Joeynator3000

Yeah...the game is similar to Pokemon, but at the same time very different. For one, you're fighting alongside them, and your moves/skills are based on your weapon. Monsties act on their own and the attack type depends on the monster (Nargacuga prefers speed, Brachydios uses power, etc.), you can give them orders if you have enough kinship...meter...ness. Monsties can also have more than 4 moves, and the amount and type also depends on the monstie. If that wasn't enough, you can go further with the rite of channeling thing. Want a Zamtrios that can breathe fire? Go for it, lol

Anyways decided to check on this thread, we're getting closer. I do hope this doesn't do what the first game to us...The Japanese version got a big update and the west never got it...not even the mobile version.

That said, if you're unsure about everything...not only does both versions of the first game have a demo...I'm pretty certain the sequel get a demo as well. The demo literally just gives you the first couple of hours of the game.

Edited on by Joeynator3000

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/joeynator3001

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic