Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin

Posts 121 to 140 of 646

VoidofLight

Looking back at the trailer, it seems that you can actually switch your weapons out mid-fight.

(Insert creative or cool phrase here.)

Joeynator3000

Also, Gunlance is in...the reveal was also revealing Plesioth, so...of course he ruins that weapon reveal...Plesioth ruins everything.

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/joeynator3001

SViper

Can't wait for this game and plan to buy first game too.

http://twitch.tv/TheSViper

Switch Friend Code: SW-7289-6600-2802 | 3DS Friend Code: 4270-5974-5136 | My Nintendo: SViper | Nintendo Network ID: TheSViper | Twitter:

JaxonH

Plesioth is awesome. Especially Green Plessy. I can understand some frustrations with older hit boxes in previous games but, this is an RPG spinoff. It’s turn based battles. I’m not sure why anyone would hate any monster in this game. They’re all so gorgeous and well done. Even Gammoth, a monster I’m not typically fond of in the main series, looks so cool in Stories 2.

Btw, GameStop website now has listings for collector edition and all 3 amiibo, but they’re not yet live. If I catch it I will try to post a notification here for everyone.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: MH Stories 2, Zelda Skyward Sword, Neo TWEWY
3DS: MH Stories, Metroid Samus Returns
PC/SteamDeck: Mass Effect Legendary Ed.
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR
NS: Metroid Dread, SMTV, Monkey Ball, Cruis'n Blast

Jesus is Lord.

Snaplocket

I'd probably buy it if there weren't so many other Switch games coming out around the same time. Disgaea 6, Ys IX, NEO TWEWY you name it.

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

Joeynator3000

I just know, that even in an turn-based RPG...Plesioth will still be infuriating and broken. lol

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/joeynator3001

Dezzy

This is one of the best looking games on the Switch! Capcom always nailing the graphics on Nintendo systems.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

JoyBoy

Yeah, game is looking very attractive. I'm normally not that into rpgs but something about it is really inviting.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

JaxonH

Collector Edition is live. Just got my order in for 2.

Amiibo are not yet live.

https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/nintendo-switch/games/pr...

PLAYING
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

JaxonH

New trailer from the Digital Event. This game is looking oh so tasty.

PLAYING
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

VoidofLight

I didn't watch most of the trailer when watching the digital event, since they're starting to get into territory where it's spoiling the game's story now.

Tyranexx

JaxonH wrote:

New trailer from the Digital Event. This game is looking oh so tasty.

Loved the trailer! Watched it after it dropped yesterday (Couldn't watch the event live). Glad to see more characters from the first game return, though I still doubt the stories of the two are linked in any meaningful way.

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Professor Layton and the Spectre's Call

Switch Friend Code: SW-3478-2466-4791 | Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

JaxonH

Pokémon fans should buy this game. I just think they’d really enjoy it. As much as the Pokémon fandom complains about that series, I think it would be good for them to find something that really strongly delivers.

PLAYING
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

VoidofLight

I'm kind of tired of people comparing monster collectors to pokemon, since usually it's what ends up killing the series.

Octane

@JaxonH I mean, it definitely looks better than Pokemon, but I'm not sure this is the game I'm looking for. The thing I like about Pokemon is the combat. Is there a gameplay video that details the combat of MHS2? Ideally it's something in-depth as Pokemon, but I don't think the first game had any of that. So I'm cautiously optimistic.

Octane

JaxonH

@VoidofLight
That's not what ends up killing series. For one, many if not most of them aren't dead. DQM is alive and well and a new one is in the works. Digimon has been going strong for decades. Yokai Watch isn't in a good place now, but it was insane for years and would probably still have a fair bit of relevance if they localized Yokai Watch 1 and 4 on Switch (that's just poor management). Even SMT gets compared to Pokémon and it's been around even longer. Many diifferent series, all of which have various amounts of success, but none of it has to do with being compared to Pokémon.

And for two, comparisons are appropriate for games in the same genre or which share similarities, and even inevitable. Can't avoid them. Especially when there's not that many games in a particular genre. There's like 30-40 2D fighting games, but the number of games which center around collecting creatures, breeding them with skill inheritance and battling them I can count on one hand.

@Octane
They haven't fully revealed all aspects of the combat, but they have shown quite a bit. Here's a breakdown of the combat. 8 minute video and should explain everything you need to know to get a good understanding of the cadence of combat.

Of course, they are different games and as such won't be identical. But here's my thoughts. Combat aside, I think one the appealing aspects of Pokémon for many is the Pokémon themselves, their designs, and the appeal of collecting them, and then working toward making customized versions of them with the best skill set. And that's where I think MH Stories 2 can potentially outshine Pokémon. The monsters in the series are incredibly designed with lavish detail and behavioral quirks, to the extent they actually feel like real monsters that could have walked the earth at one point (disregarding blowing giant beams of electricity and stuff like that).

It's also considerably more story focused, and that's an appealing aspect. The customization for monsties is also insane. You can end up getting skills on monsters that normally aren't one of their skills. So you can have a Lagombi that normally does ice attacks, you can have it learn the electricity beam attack that Rajang does. Or whatever you want. That really opens up the customization. Sky is the limit.

There's not as many monsters as in Pokémon, but each monsters is so much more richly detailed, as previously mentioned, with behaviors to the nth degree where devs come up with the craziest details. The Somnacanth (a siren inspired monster in Rise) makes these musical noises in the wild. And just recently it was discovered it mimics the theme song playing in the map or area it happens to be in. Tons of small details like that which really make it a joy learning about the monsters and naturally observing their various characteristics. Every little detail is designed with purpose. The devs explain in the art books how this monster would breath fire, with special glands producing a propellant, etc etc. It's not just fantasy creatures. It's like they sit down as a National Geographic team and delineate the purpose and survival function of every single detail of each monster when designing them. Everything is well thought out.

It's definitely a fresh take on the genre, that's for sure.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Snaplocket

So far, this looks far more promising then Pokemon Legends. Having more of a story is definitely a positive and if the combat really is more fun and less luck based I'd be willing to try it.

Also, I highly doubt localizing Yokai Watch 4 would've made a big difference for the franchise's success.

Edited on by Snaplocket

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

JaxonH

@Snaplocket
Depends on your definition of big success.

Do I think localizing it would have made it a multi million selling global phenomenon? No, of course not. But even Ni No Kuni and Tales of Vesperia did 300-500k in the west. I'm pretty sure YW4 could have at least pulled 200k. And that would have been enough to keep the series alive. Doesn't need to be a star franchise to be profitable and continue the series.

As it stands, they just gave up on it. Ported it to PS4 thinking that would do anything. It didn't even chart in its debut week. Had they instead just localized the game, that 200k (potentially more though) could have easily covered costs of development and ensured we saw a YW5. Unfortunately, they relied too much on Japan and now they've sunk the entire franchise.

PLAYING
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

VoidofLight

@JaxonH I mean, they did promise a localized version, but it's probably canceled now. Also 4 feels like it was always sort of meant to be the end of the series anyways.

Edited on by VoidofLight

JaxonH

Check out these screenshots. Gorgeous.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR