Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin

Posts 101 to 120 of 652

JaxonH

@VoidofLight
Ya. Mile wide, inch deep comes to mind.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that. Not every game needs to go that deep. Pokémon does just fine with its approach. But that’s not the MH approach. In this series, each and every monster in the MH universe is meticulously designed with insanely good animations, wide variety of attacks, movements, individual behaviors, etc. Depth is the heart of MH. You can saddle and ride every monstie around the world- that alone must have taken a huge amount of resources to implement. It’s the best part of Rise, and I already know it’s going to be one of my favorite aspects of Stories 2.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: MH Stories 2, Zelda Skyward Sword, Neo TWEWY
3DS: MH Stories, Metroid Samus Returns
PC/SteamDeck: Mass Effect Legendary Ed.
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR
NS: Metroid Dread, SMTV, Monkey Ball, Cruis'n Blast

Jesus is Lord.

VoidofLight

I kind of wish that they could've added some of the monsters from Rise, but I'm guessing that'll be DLC and for a third game if they make one.

(Insert creative or cool phrase here.)

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Same. I understand the style for the first was a good fit for 3DS. But this style appeals to me much more. And it makes more sense for more powerful hardware like Switch. It’s kind of like Bravely Default 2- they aged up the look of the characters and reduced the exaggerated features like disproportional head size, while retaining the art style people praised. I think they did a much better job though, which is to be expected since Capcom makes the best looking games in the industry, and are probably on par with Nintendo in terms of optimization and quality.

I’m just glad this game exists. I never thought we’d see a sequel after the first one failed to meet expectations. But Capcom said the passionate fan response was one factor in deciding on making another. When the news of MH Rise and Stories 2 first dropped, I almost couldn’t believe it. Sounded too good to be true. Just getting a new MH in RE Engine alone was more than I dared to hope for. But here we are. Rise is everything I dreamed it would be and Stories 2 looks to be the same.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

VoidofLight

@JaxonH I just hope the footage in the trailers and the screenshots aren't just the pc build. I want to know what it looks like on switch, not just what it looks like on the PC. This is why I kind of wish they would've done a PC release at a later date, like with Monster Hunter Rise..

Ralizah

@VoidofLight I doubt there'll be any substantial differences between the Switch and PC builds, other than support for higher framerate and resolutions. The game was clearly built with the Switch hardware in mind.

Edited on by Ralizah

Most Anticipated Games
Shin Megami Tensei V (Switch)
Breath of the Wild 2 (Switch)
The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles (Switch)
Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re-Boot Camp (Switch)
Metroid Dread (Switch)

Snaplocket

@JaxonH Bravely Default II was less a case of the graphics being inherently low tech and more just a bad art choice. The combination of highly detailed faces and chibi just does not work in HD. Secret of Mana HD and Pokemon Brilliant Diamond look much better namely because the anime art style lends itself much better to that look (even if they look like mobile games).

Also the game is being developed primarily for the Switch so I'm certain the performance will be at least passable (the worst performing Switch exclusive so far is Age of Calamity and even that was far from unplayable).

Edited on by Snaplocket

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

JaxonH

@Snaplocket
I actually really like the art choice in Bravely Default II. I know there’s some outspoken critics who think it’s the worst thing ever, but I liked it. Obviously I think Stories 2 looks better, but by no means do I think BD2 style was bad.

As for Stories 2, I’m quite confident the game will look and run top shelf. Just look at MH Rise. The game is being built for Switch in mind. We’ve seen Switch specific footage (you can tell when you zoom in and see small imperfections that wouldn’t be present on PC), and it’s essentially indiscernible from the Steam store page screenshots

PLAYING
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

VoidofLight

Bravely Default 2's style was honestly pretty good in my opinion. It's a more detailed version of the original game's style. Some animations look a bit weird in cinematic cutscenes and such, but other than that I think it looks pretty nice. @Snaplocket

Snaplocket

@JaxonH Seriously, it's amazing how well MH Rise runs. It even outdoes several first-party titles.

BD II had goregous backgrounds and great costume design, but the character models just looked..... wrong.

Edited on by Snaplocket

Tyranexx

Overall I liked the combat in Monster Hunter Stories. On the surface it's deceptively simple. But when you factor in critical hits, different monster gene combinations, and elemental weaknesses, things get way easier. The only thing I disliked were the randomly triggered button-mashing events. I really hope those have been done away with in the second game.

On the art style: While I didn't mind how chibified everything was - I don't mind chibi aesthetics as long as I feel it fits with the game - I was weirdly bothered that the monster companions were smaller than their wild counterparts. XD Really trivial I know, but I'm glad that seems to have been addressed.

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Professor Layton and the Spectre's Call

Switch Friend Code: SW-3478-2466-4791 | Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

VoidofLight

One thing I really hopes happens in Monster Hunter Stories 2 is that each area has a theme constantly playing, instead of just a theme when you enter and then total silence afterwards.

Balta666

Well I was on the fence but today's new info sold me on the game. And the artstyle is just awesome!!

Balta666

1ofUs

I'm very excited for this game. I couldn't play the first one and this looks great

If you spoil a game i will find you.
It's not quite a me, Mario!

Twitter:

Snatcher

@1ofUs If you have a phone that can run it, they have it on app store's, plus i'm pretty sure its on sale right now to.

Edited on by Snatcher

Nintendo is like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside.

Snaplocket

Don't see any big improvements in combat aside from more party members.

VoidofLight

@Snaplocket Yeah, the combat's the same, but apparently they made it easier to tell the enemy attack patterns, so it won't be as frustrating as the original game.

Snaplocket

@VoidofLight That's a pretty minor change in the grand scheme of things.

VoidofLight

@Snaplocket Yes, but a minor change such as that would go a long way to improve the battles. My main issue with the combat in the original was due to the inability to tell what the enemies were about to do before they do it.

Joeynator3000

...Ugh, freakin' Plesioth...well, at least it's just this game and not Rise. lol

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/joeynator3001

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic