Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter Rise

Posts 361 to 380 of 868

Northwind

@Ryu_Niiyama, nice! Welcome (back) to the club! If you ever wanna hit some random stuff, feel free to hmu. I always keep a stock of low-rank weapons on hand so as to help without carrying (or I could just run healing cats, lol).

Ralizah wrote:

lol out of stock already.

That's alright. I think I'll be getting this digitally. I bought all my other portable MH games digitally as well. It's just the sort of game I'm going to want available on my system all the time.

I'll get the DE even if I have to sell a kidney to do it, lol. I'll probs get it digitally, and I can do without the CE. There's nothing in the CE that I really want other than the amiibo. Since the amiibo are GameStop exclusive, it's pretty unlikely I'll be able to get them since I don't really have a GameStop near me anymore; they've all closed. That makes me sad, but not sad enough to pay for the CE.

EDIT: Just checked: GameStop still does not have anything on their website to indicate that the amiibo even exist. AFAICT even the page for Rise (DE) doesn't mention the existence of the amiibo. I know that GameStop stores have been taking pre-orders on the amiibo since the day after the game was announced, so this suggests that GameStop may have no intention of selling the amiibo on their website. Or that their entire allocation as a company has already been pre-ordered in-store.

Edited on by Northwind

Autocorrect keeps causing me to write things I didn't Nintendo.

My Nintendo: Northwind | Twitter:

JaxonH

Ralizah wrote:

lol out of stock already.

That's alright. I think I'll be getting this digitally. I bought all my other portable MH games digitally as well. It's just the sort of game I'm going to want available on my system all the time.

It WAS still up on BestBuy just a few hrs ago when I posted that, but now it’s gone. May be worth keeping an eye on though if you are thinking about grabbing the CE.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/monster-hunter-rise-collectors-e...

Definitely a digital purchase for me too, even though I do have the CE preordered. MH is a game you come back to time and again. Just having MHGU, MH Rise and MH Stories 2 all on one system digitally is going to be so dope

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: Monster Hunter Rise demo
PC: -----
PS5: -----
EXCITED FOR
NS: Monster Hunter Rise

Jesus is Lord.

Northwind

OMG. I just looked actually looked carefully at the name of the flagship monster for the first time.

Magnamalo.

That...is the least creative name ever, lmao. Going by Latin roots, it literally means 'big bad' (or 'great evil').

• 'Magna' = 'big (in size)' or 'great (in status)'. As in: magnify, magnificent, Charlemagne
  • 'Malo' = 'bad, evil'. As in: malignant, malicious, Maleficent, the professional cyclist named Malacarne (whose name literally means 'bad meat', lol)

In other words, the flagship monster of Rise is literally the BBEG! (Or, BBEM, I guess.)

Edited on by Northwind

Ulysses

JaxonH wrote:

@GilbertXI
With 14 weapon types, the Hunter definitely wouldn’t be just another sword character though. Dual blades, hammer, insect glaive, bow, etc. They could make a ton of rad moves for the Hunter. And like you said, traps, bait, barrel bombs... what if the final Smash is sleep bombing everyone on screen lol. Nah, they’d have to have a monster fly in and wreck everyone. Up B with wirebug for recovery is too perfect.

Palico would indeed make a terrific assist trophy. Which I totally expect they’d do if Hunter was added as a character.

Wouldn't it be crazy if each alt costume in Smash was a different weapon type?

Palicos would make a fine Amiibo Fighter skin.

Edited on by Ulysses

Ulysses

GilbertXI

This game answered my question as to what I'll be doing the entire month of April. Why do all the games I love so dearly take up chunks of my life? A blessing and a curse I guess. Either way, I'm loving Capcom right now, most of their IPs I love. Resident Evil looks mighty promising, I don't see it as being a bad game, par the performance issues that might occur on the PS5, the platform I will most likely play it on. DMC is looking great, hopefully something about 6 by end of 2021 at least. The same guy who leaked Rise, also said I believe a street fighter game might be coming soon, my poor wallet and free time. Monster hunter rise and stories 2 is self explanatory, and I feel like I'm forgetting something.

MvC cries in corner*

GilbertXI

Northwind

JaxonH wrote:

@GilbertXI
With 14 weapon types, the Hunter definitely wouldn’t be just another sword character though. Dual blades, hammer, insect glaive, bow, etc. They could make a ton of rad moves for the Hunter. And like you said, traps, bait, barrel bombs... what if the final Smash is sleep bombing everyone on screen lol. Nah, they’d have to have a monster fly in and wreck everyone. Up B with wirebug for recovery is too perfect..

I'm of two minds about this. On the one hand, nothing here is false. They absolutely could do all of this, and it would be bloody amazing if they did.

OTOH, though, I'm sceptical about their ability to do it within the confines of Smash. Byleth was supposedly not just another sword character too - but that proved to be overselling it by quite a bit. Yes, Byleth has a lot of different weapons at their disposal - but for all intents and purposes, they almost all function like a sword would. You could keep the moves the same, the hitboxes and damage the same, and reskin each as a sword. Nothing material would change. And, when you really think about it, that makes a lot of sense. In Smash, like most fighting games, there are several things that can make a character really unbalanced. One of those things is having too many different tools in their kit.

So, yeah, I agree that would be amazing. I'm not sure it's feasible within the architecture of Smash, tho. What we don't want is for the character to have so many tools that they're broken, since that would create negative reactions. Nor, for that matter, for the character to have a ton of tools but for 90% of those tools to be impotent; that might prevent them from being broken, but it also wouldn't be a good representation.

SOURCE: Am swordie main. Like Byleth well enough, but really play a lot of Roy, Chrom and Lucina. ETA: And Hero.

Edited on by Northwind

GilbertXI

@Northwind eyyy, fellow swordy main. I main Ike, and Lucina before that. But I'm recently picking up R.O.B, nice change of pace.

GilbertXI

Northwind

@GilbertXI, nice! Full disclosure, I am really really bad at Smash. That's why I do competitive amiibo training, lol: it's a different skill set. And I'm bad at that too - just not as bad.

EDIT: I've been on hiatus from the circuit lately (including missing the most-recent major ) because of life getting in the way...but yeah. You can find me in 32nd place as of this tweet - which doesn't sound too bad until you compare me to the top placements, lmao.

Edited on by Northwind

GilbertXI

@Northwind Im hot garbage as well, I know enough to beat my casual friends, but when I went online I got my ass handed too, my problem Is I can't choose a main. I am gonna practice really hard with Steve when he comes out just to spite everyone, that's what I did with Byleth as well.

GilbertXI

Northwind

@GilbertXI, when I play as a human I typically prefer either Roy (because I favour a super-agressive rushdown style in general) or Hero (basically the same reason as Roy, but with a few extra shenanigans mixed in).

That said, if we're gonna continue this convo we probably ought to take it out of the Rise thread.

Ralizah

@Northwind @JaxonH It feels like a pretty ruddy CE. honestly. The Ys IX one, which is roughly the same price, comes with a bunch of interesting stuff, including a damn novel! This one is a pin, some stickers, and an amiibo.

ACTIVELY PLAYING
Super Mario Galaxy/Piczle Lines DX (Switch)
Persona 5 Royal (PS4)

Northwind

Ralizah wrote:

It feels like a pretty ruddy CE. honestly. The Ys IX one, which is roughly the same price, comes with a bunch of interesting stuff, including a damn novel! This one is a pin, some stickers, and an amiibo.

Nail. Head.

JaxonH

@Ralizah
It is. I'm very disappointed they didnt give us a good one like World got. But, at least the amiibo is awesome (even though its sold separately). And it's the collector box for display that interests me more than anything.

PLAYING
EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Ulysses

More and more, I feel strongly about going dark from here on out. I would much rather discover everything else about the game as I play, rather than from more marketing trailers.

TGS has shown us about half~ of Shrine Ruins already. I don't even want to know about the existence of any other map until I discover them in Rise hands-on. Or any other monster for that matter.

Super Mario Odyssey really helped remind me how video games can feel special; it's that feeling of wonder when you discover new things in a game that wraps up the experience with a little dose of magic. More than any other game in the past few years, I went into Super Mario Odyssey blind, aside from the initial E3 trailer revealing New Donk City and the first two Kingdoms.

Even with Breath of the Wild, I mistakenly spoiled a few significant pieces of the game with gameplay videos and the like, so even though I still regard BOTW as one of my favorite games of all time, that magic feeling was just slightly diminished compared to my time with Odyssey.

Ulysses

JaxonH

Collector Edition back up on Amazon

Monster Hunter Rise Collector Edition

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

JaxonH

@Ulysses
I totally understand the sentiment. The feeling of playing a shiny new MH and discovering all the maps for yourself the first time is unreal. I would love to experience it with this game.

That being said, I’m not sure I would be able to restrain myself from devouring every little morsel of new information given about this game. I just don’t have it in me.

PLAYING
EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Ulysses

@JaxonH I fully admit, it's terribly difficult to opt out after we've all gotten used to being plugged in, so to speak. Always keeping our ears to the ground for the latest bits of info shared online. But I am set on trying my best!

I'll still keep an eye out for a Switch Pro tie in announced sometime in January-February. I absolutely cannot miss out on the Limited Edition Switch whenever it goes online.

@Northwind @Ryu_Niiyama I'm up for hunting together in GU while we wait for March! I haven't completed a single Guild Quest however lol, so I'm completely beginning from scratch!

Edited on by Ulysses

Ulysses

Northwind

@Ulysses, happy to help you rank up!

urrutiap

I beat the Valstrax of the game's main Village story urgent yada yada

Time to get back into Freedom Unite and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and maybe get back into Monster Hunter World and start using food skills in World if there are any

urrutiap

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic