Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter Rise

Posts 381 to 400 of 871

Tyranexx

It's been a bit since I've bought an Amiibo, but they're $20 now? Darn inflation lol.

Currently playing: LoZ: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Donkey Kong Country 3 (Wii U VC)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3478-2466-4791 | Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

JaxonH

@Tyranexx
Lol, and $25 for Magnamalo 😂

But ya, prices went up from $13 to $16, now $20. I think it’s the rising costs due to C19 though that’s affecting future production. The fact Magnamalo costs more also leads me to believe its more expensive to make due to its complexity.

But ya, inflation also likely plays a small part as well, accounting for $2-3 of price increase. After all, it’s been like 5-6 years now since they first launched on the market. Maybe 7 years by the time these release.

PLAYING
NS: Monster Hunter Rise demo
PC: -----
PS5: -----
EXCITED FOR
NS: Monster Hunter Rise

Jesus is Lord.

Tyranexx

@JaxonH I'm used to some larger/more complex ones like Magnamalo being more expensive. I was used to a lot of them being up to $16, but $20 took me by surprise when I clicked the link for Palamute. XD

Thanks for the heads up. Pre-ordered!

Currently playing: LoZ: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Donkey Kong Country 3 (Wii U VC)

-Green-

Is it March yet?

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

JaxonH

@-Green-
Ugh, tell me about it. I can only rewatch the trailer and gameplay segment so many times...

How bout a playthrough of MH World on Steam while we wait? (to anyone here that’s interested). Since I switched over from PS/Xbox to PC and rebought all my games, I started a new save file, which is perfect timing given the final update with Fatalis just released, all the updates and patches are out and the game now uses DLSS 2.0, which helped me see a 20-30 FPS jump for 4k 60fps Ultra settings using the High Quality Texture Pack.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

urrutiap

while Monster Hunter Rise will arrive here in the US in March next year, I might jump back into Monster Hunter World besides getting back into Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for my 3DS along with Freedom Unite for my PSP.

I still have alot to do in Monster Hunter 3 such as fighting the first Goldy Caedus and another go at a Shen Mohran whatever its called the giant desert monster which is like fighting a Lao Shan in Freedom Unite.

Ive played enough of Generations and Generations Ultimate. nothing else to do in those two games anytway.

Plus online multiplayer for Monster Hunter 4 noone pops up except maybe for the G rank Elder Hall but everyone there still bunch of elitists

urrutiap

JaxonH

@urrutiap
Gosh dang, you’re getting it in! 3 MH games?! Even just one is a serious commitment.

I played so much of MH3U on Wii U, farmed a mixed Ceadus set for end game and got a pretty great charm, too. Put more hours into that game than any other game I’ve ever played. 600 hrs, actually.

I haven’t played all of Iceborn in MH World though. It kinda lost my interest with the clutch claw and how you weren’t rewarded for softening a monster’s parts, you were punished for not softening. But this time I’m just gonna ignore the clutch claw and play it normally. If it means monsters take less damage, so be it. I welcome the extra challenge.

PLAYING
EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Northwind

@JaxonH @Tyranexx: as a hardcore amiibo user, I can say that $16 is MSRP for all the new waves of amiibo - incuding the batch of new SSBU amiibo that just launched two days ago. Also, I can confirm that amiibo MSRP is determined by date of printing (with every amiibo in a given wave having the same MSRP, not varying by 'complexity', etc.); only possible exception to this that I know of is the Detective Pikachu amiibo, because it's physically like 2-3 times as tall and as wide as a regular amiibo. (Seriously, the thing is flippin' massive.)

If all three of these were $20, I might speculate that the MSRP was being raised again to compensate for C19 troubles. But since one of them (arguably the most desirable one) is $25, I'm betting this is GameStop jacking up the price to take advantage of their exclusivity deal; 'split MSRP' amongst amiibo with the same release date, in the same series, has never been a thing with amiibo. EDIT: Also, $6 each for standard shipping is sort of ridiculous. Best Buy charged me like $2-3 for release-day shipping of the SSBU Hero amiibo; I pre-ordered that one from Best Buy and had it on release day for less than $21, including both shipping and tax.

I added all three to a cart on the website, and saw it was going to come to $90 for the three amiibo. That breaks down to nearly double the current MSRP each, and roughly 50% more each than the latest wave of SSBU amiibo were available for at GameStop's competitor after shipping costs are factored in. I've seen scalped amiibo sell with lower markups!

I simply can't afford that. I do appreciate the links, tho!

LATE EDIT: Every single amiibo printed and released in North America since November 2014 is listed on NoA’s website - including super-limited edition ones like the Super Mario Cereal one, upcoming ones like Cat Peach, and GameStop-exclusive ones like Loot Goblin. Yet, for some reason the three Rise amiibo are not listed.
https://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/line-up/#release

Edited on by Northwind

Autocorrect keeps causing me to write things I didn't Nintendo.

My Nintendo: Northwind | Twitter:

JaxonH

@Northwind
I own every amiibo ever made, barring the Mario cereal box and amiibo cards. Just got the Joker and Hero amiibo the other day. And I'm a huge MH fan. So I'll eat the cost.

But ya, Gamestop absolutely tears into customers wallets when they can. The shipping is outrageous. And they may have jacked up the price to help recoup costs of paying for exclusivity. But I've definitely paid all kinds of pieces for amiibo over the years. Usually Smash line is consistent but the other releases, less so. Yarn yoshi amiibo in 3 colors, Poochie and the large one, Detective Pikachu, the 5 Shovel Knight amiibo, Box Boy, etc.

In any case, you can always consider importing the amiibo from Japan, if you can score an order on Amazon JP. Probably come out to be less that way than Gamestop.

PLAYING
EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Northwind

Yeah, I love MH, but $160 (DE + 3 amiibo, or CE if one can get it + 2 amiibo) for a 'complete' new MH game is still not a cost I'd pay even if I could afford it. There are two different ways one can think about that price:

• It's over 75% the cost of a new Switch Lite and over 50% the cost of a new Switch, for a single game.
  • If Capcom were selling layered armour sets for $30 each usng in-game MTX, players would riot. (Yes, in this case that's not a perfect analogy because in this case one gets the amiibo itself too and that has value to collectors - but this is not one of those amiibo like Smash Bros amiibo that continues to have in-game functionality after its initial scan; this is one of those 'scan once and put on a shelf for eternity' amiibo - which is fine if people like those, but which objectively has less use than some others because after the first scan it becomes just a display piece, whereas many others both are display pieces and retain in-game use after their first scan.)

I'll settle for the 'incomplete' version of MH Rise. If the amiibo had been more reasonably priced I'd have found a way to afford them, but with the markups to both shipping and (probably) to the amiibo themselves there is no world (pun intended) in which I could justify that cost. I'm sure GameStop will sell through their stock, though, so I doubt they have any reason to care that any given person isn't buying (nor, for that matter, if some of the stock sells to scalpers).

Edited on by Northwind

Ulysses

@Northwind Yeah, that's a terrible markup by Gamestop. If I wasn't such a huge fan and bought collector's editions for both MHTri and 4U, I would have passed on Rise's.

Ulysses

JaxonH

@Northwind
Actually, the amiibo aren’t one time use.

They’re one time use for special layered armor, but after that you can scan daily for a lottery of items. What those items are I don’t know. Maybe like, get 5 mega potions or get 5 demon drugs? If it’s a lottery, that means you can reap infinite rewards from the amiibo as long as you own them. That’s a ton of content over time. Not that I think that justifies them jacking up the price but it is something to consider. I hope they do drop rates with special percentages for all the items, with like, a 1-2% chance of getting 5 slickaxes. That would be so dope.

@Ulysses
Ya, it’s not so much the price, because eh, they’re an extra $4 each and $9 more for Magda, which sucks but, not really a big deal if that’s all it was. It’s the fact there’s also shipping, charged individually, on top of the premium, that really hurts the consumer.

If it were any other franchise I would take a long, hard pause. But it’s Monster Hunter. Hell would freeze over before I passed up on the amiibo for my favorite series of all time coming to my favorite system of all time. And, the layered armor and subsequent daily item lottery does at least add some value. Something I actually care about and will use, as opposed to the benefits of other amiibo I will never use (like Joker and Hero, which I love but will never actually use in a game).

Edited on by antdickens

PLAYING
EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Northwind

@JaxonH, I’m aware, but I also consider that an ‘artificial’ use. For comparison, FE3H has effectively the exact same mechanic but only requires the amiibo be scanned once and then you get random items every in-game month across all your save files. There’s no reason that Rise or any other game could not do it the same.

To put it another way, requiring the amiibo to be scanned every time serves no in-game purpose (unlike Smash Bros amiibo, etc., where the amiibo chip is actually the repository of the training data and the player actually writes to the amiibo instead of just reading and rereading a static set of hex values over and over).

My guess is that the requirement to rescan is to discourage players from reselling the amiibo after unlocking the armour sets to recoup their costs - but to a large extent that could be avoided by making the amiibo reasonably available (that is, as available as other print runs, which are generally findable at least right after their launch) and/or by not price-gouging in the first place. Of course, some people would be scalping or reselling the amiibo either way - but a lot more people will be now, on account of limited availability and on account of people who bought them at their current prices being more inclined to want to recoup those costs (compared to if those costs had been more modest).

Tyranexx

@Northwind Hmm, could definitely be GameStop inflating the price thanks to the exclusivity. I'm only interested in one of the Amiibo - the Palamute - and am fine with passing on the others. I do wish I could have picked cheaper shipping though. I'm fine with paying less for a longer delivery time in 99/100 cases. $6 is a bit steep for my liking, and the same day option was $10-11. The GS store near me has awesome employees for the most part, but things at the corporate level are getting increasingly scummy.

Northwind

@Tyranexx, I totally agree. All the GameStops closest to me closed; this was a college town, and now the campus is mostly shut down for who-knows-how-long. I’m guessing students were GameStop’s primary customer base around here, so they probably decided to permanently close all the local shops. Closest shop to me now is a roughly-two-hour return trip away.

JaxonH

@Northwind
Well, they haven’t actually specified we need to rescan. The video said, “also, you can enter a daily lottery”. It’s a fair assumption we’ll need to rescan, and I’m thinking that’s a likely outcome, but that is just an assumption, for now anyways.

Also, irrespective of the quality of content or opinions of being artificial, it is still content. And if we’re talking about what you get in terms of content, it would be remiss to simply omit the fact you do indeed get more than just layered armor. Personally I don’t really care whether or not I have to rescan. I mean, ya it’s less hassle if you don’t, but it takes like five seconds either way so, it’s really not an issue to me.

I’m not entirely convinced they’re worried about reselling, as the amiibo allotments always sell out regardless. Plus again, we don’t know if we even have to rescan yet anyways.

But ya, the item lottery is actually far more valuable to me than a single layered armor set. Not that the armor set isn’t appreciated, but items in MH are like currency. Good as gold. If I can get a steady passive income of random items, that’ll actually come in quite handy.

PLAYING
EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Northwind

@JaxonH, I’m definitely not denying that it’s content. But the context in which it was presented, I read as ‘this is a reason you’ll need/want to scan the amiibo more than once’. If they haven’t specified that you’ll have to rescan every time, then I’d wager it probably isn’t the case; as I mentioned, games with near-identical functionality have set a precedent for rescanning not being necessary. OTOH, if rescanning is necessary, then yes that’s an artificial hurdle - not because it’s not content, but because there’s no reason rescanning should be necessary if the data on the amiibo chip itself isn’t changing (ie. if the player isn’t writing any data to the amiibo chip).

If rescanning is necessary, that goes against both how other games with the same mechanic do it and against common sense regarding how amiibo work - so I‘d really have to wonder why they’d do it that way. It’s an extra step for the player that has no obvious reason to be there (ie. it’s not a challenge, it doesn’t require an additional purchase, etc.).

If rescanning is not necessary, then that’s definitely better overall but in that case this entire sub-convo is moot because my original point holds.

JaxonH

@Northwind
Your original point was your personal opinion on how you view content. Your point holds for you, certainly, but not necessarily for anyone else. That opinion doesn’t make discussion moot. After all, opinions are the driving force of discussion. If anything, your original point (your personal viewpoint) makes discussion desirable.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Northwind

JaxonH wrote:

@Northwind
Actually, the amiibo aren’t one time use.

They’re one time use for special layered armor, but after that you can scan daily for a lottery of items.

No, my original point was about the price, not about ‘how I view content’. My subsequent point was in response to this quoted passage, and was also not about what is or is not content; that point was about artificial hurdles or hoops added by developers that have no reason to exist. Neither of these have anything to do with ‘how I view content’. (One might argue that these points have to do with access to content, but they have nothing to do with that content itself and would remain exactly the same regardless of what that ‘content’ is or how one viewed it.)

I agree that opinions are the driving force of discussion. That’s why it makes me so upset when you misrepresent mine.

ETA: Going forward, I’d really appreciate it if you’d read what I’ve actually said before mentioning me. I never said the content was artificial. I said the ‘use’ (as in, the use of the amiibo) was artificial, and I explained precisely why. All of those comments are still posted, so anyone who cares to can verify what I actually said - and I’m always willing to clarify when asked if what I’ve said is unclear to someone. But, seeing as this is not the first time you’ve misrepresented what I’ve said despite it being posted and verifiable, I would like to respectfully request that you read more carefully in the future.

Edited on by Northwind

Tyranexx

@Northwind The one in the town I'm near is still thankfully open, though with restrictions; I typically only use it to buy used games and offload games that aren't worth the hassle of selling on eBay. The next closest one is a 35-40 minute drive. There used to be another in a different direction, but that one closed down years ago.

I figure it's only a matter of time before the entire chain goes under. I'm mixed about that. On one hand, I dislike many of the company's practices and corporate decisions. On the other, that would result in many lost jobs, plus that would only leave Walmart as the brick and mortar store of choice for game purchases here. No Targets or Best Buys within short driving distance.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic