JaxonH

@Joeynator3000
You have a capture card?

PLAYING
NS: Sniper Elite 4, Hyrule Warriors AoC, Pikmin 3, Ori Will of the Wisps
PC: Cyberpunk 2077
PS5: Demons Souls
EXCITED FOR
NS: MH Rise, MH Stories 2, SMTV, Neo TWEWY, Bravely Default 2, Trails of Cold Steel 4, Ys IX

Jesus is Lord.

Joeynator3000

@JaxonH I've had one for a long while now. o.o lol

I upload videos all the time. xD Just not recently since I'm moving very soon, and now I have wrist problems. >.<

Pokemon Stream Clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZmNX5mNuNc

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/joeynator3001

Ralizah

@JaxonH Alright, thanks. That sounds like a good compromise, as it makes exploration/navigation more freeing while preventing aerial spam in battle.

Anthropomorphic cats creep me out, and the way palicoes bounce around is off-putting, too. The palamutes look and act more like normal animals, which is appealing to me.

Can they also serve support roles in battle like palicoes?

ACTIVELY PLAYING
Switch Lite: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Ya, totally. They attack just like the palicos do. They have HP, but can’t die. If they get low on HP, they run off to eat doggie treats to recover for a while, then come back.

And they allow you to traverse quickly, unlike palicos, so I imagine in MP it will be all palamutes people bring (since you can now bring one partner in multiplayer even with 3-4 players). In solo I’ll likely do 1 Palamute and 1 palico.

Check out the gameplay. They show off the tent at base camp, and the wirebug for a bit, but then they hunt a Tetranadon and Arzuros. Can see the palamutes during battle.

PLAYING
EXCITED FOR
NS: MH Rise, MH Stories 2, SMTV, Neo TWEWY, Bravely Default 2, Trails of Cold Steel 4, Ys IX

Jesus is Lord.

urrutiap

last time i ever tried using the new glaive bo staff weapon was Monster Hunter 4 . I didnt like feeding it bug upgrades to level a glaive staff to a different monster glaive but i was kind of impressed with how the attack power was pretty strong. Most of the time i just used the glaive weapon plain like a great sword or long sword. Never went wild like a ninja with the glaive staff weapon

JaxonH wrote:

@Rexenoboy
Ya no problem.

Those are 3 really awesome weapons. And you’re right, the Glaive is probably the most complex weapon in the game. I mean, they’re all complex, but the glaive is the only one with a kinsect that can either be cutting damage or blunt damage, which means certain glaives can cut tails while other glaives can break horns, which means you can keep one of each type and choose strategically for each hunt. It’s the only melee weapon that can do either cutting damage or blunt damage. And that’s awesome. Glaive becomes really amazing once you get the hang of it and learn it properly, but it’s definitely got a higher learning curve for a new player. Tons of fun to play with though. It’s a blast just pogo bouncing all over the place.

I think the charge blade and switch axe are a really strong choice of weapons. Both are incredibly versatile by having axe-morphing capabilities. And both are super fun to use. They are more on the complex end of the spectrum and demand a slightly higher learning curve, but the payoff is certainly worthwhile.

@Joeynator3000
Ah man, I would LOVE to see Prowler Mode return. MHGU is unique inasmuch that, it’s the only MH game to date that let you play as a felyne (and the base game, Generations, obviously). I know you got a ton of use out of Prowler Mode, too. I always saw screenshots on your twitter playing as a cat. Unfortunately I don’t think we’re going to see Prowler Mode return.

urrutiap

urrutiap

the new weird green swamp turtle monster in Rise. The heck is that? LOL. Looks like something DC Comics Swamp Thing could keep as a pet.

So I supposed that big green turtle thing will be tough to some players but pretty sure itll be weak to fire at least?

urrutiap

Ulysses

@Ralizah Capcom designated Palamutes as Attack-based and Palicoes as Support-based, which leads me to believe some end-game team builds might choose Palicoes to have one or two dedicated healers. But since multiplayer only lets you bring one companion, I have a feeling Palamutes will be picked by a majority of players for casual hunts due to that subtle pressure to "keep up."

Edited on by Ulysses

Ulysses

JaxonH

@Ulysses
What’s interesting is, the palico still fights in the gameplay footage shown. At least, I’m pretty sure they do, anyways (might need to double check). They definitely have weapons and stuff, so it would make sense, even if they are support type, they still fight some. But the palamutes definitely didn’t do any healing. So it seems palamutes = attack + traversal, while palicos = attack + healing

PLAYING
EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Ralizah

@Ulysses Alright, thanks. Not ideal, but I can handle healing by myself if need be.

@JaxonH I watched a bit of a fight with the Tetranadon the other day. I really like the interconnected map, and how monsters seem to stay on the map once you find them.

Have I missed them, or are the styles/arts from Gen/GU not here anymore?

ACTIVELY PLAYING

Joeynator3000

Arts/Styles are a Generations thing, but some of the moves from those will make their way into the game in some way. I think it happened with World/Icebourne, so, yeah.

As for Palicoes, I'm pretty sure they'll do more than healing, maybe they'll have blinding moves or something that'll mess the monster up in general. As well as buffs and all that, they're supporters, not healers. lol

Also I'm gonna guess that maybe they'll focus more on ranged attacks since the dogs are more about melee.

Edited on by Joeynator3000

Pokemon Stream Clip

Keep it PG-13-ish.

Northwind

Meanwhile, in my old MHGU save file I had a maxed Healing prowler whose only role was to keep novice hunters alive whilst they practised the basics. It's much easier to learn monsters' patterns and to practise your weapons when you have someone dedicated to keeping you from carting. I so wish I'd had someone like that back in 2008, lmao; if I had, maybe it wouldn't have taken me nearly a decade to git gud. (Or not, lol)

Autocorrect keeps causing me to write things I didn't Nintendo.

My Nintendo: Northwind | Twitter:

TheFrenchiestFry

So I managed to revive my nearly 10 year old PSP

Strongly considering getting some MH background experience by properly playing the Freedom Unite games since I now have some experience with MH's gameplay through World and some of the 3DS titles

Crazy to think MH was like one of the first major examples of a former PlayStation exclusive franchise jumping ship to Nintendo completely after a few games. It used to be the other way around back then lol

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Like Joey said, styles/arts don’t seem to be returning. But the movesets of styles and arts do seem to be integrated into the MH Rise moveset portfolio, albeit some with the wirebug. Most of the moves seem identical to MH World (which is a very good thing), but with a move here and there that seem to be an old MHGU art or style-exclusive move.

One thing I noticed is, the maps do seem a lot smaller than World’s maps, and a lot of it is taken up by vertical hills and mountains. Still way larger than old games, but it’s also interconnected so, that’s expected. So finding the monsters will actually be really fast. This is a game built for handheld play through and through. World needed huge, lush environments to accommodate the tracking mechanic. But remove the scout flies and tracking, and the need for such massive maps is eliminated. And the result is what we see here. World - hugely immense maps = Rise. It’s a game designed to get you right into the action. With 3 monsters per map and only half the map actually being available for the monsters to traverse, it really is going to be action focused. Of course, that doesn’t mean exploration doesn’t play a part because a good portion of the map is actually designed around exploration. In fact I’d say all of it is, but a good portion is designed around wirebug exploration.

PLAYING
EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Northwind

TheFrenchiestFry wrote:

So I managed to revive my nearly 10 year old PSP

Strongly considering getting some MH background experience by properly playing the Freedom Unite games since I now have some experience with MH's gameplay through World and some of the 3DS titles

|

You got out without battery expansion? Lucky you. (My old PSP is in storage and I'm slightly terrified, lol.)

Freedom Unite was my first 'real' MH. I actually started with F2, but didn't get serious until FU. (FWIW, I know FU is currently available on iOS too, so it doesn't require a PSP if you just want to experience it and don't care about rubbish controls.)

You'll quickly notice a few things about FU that I'd class as 'showing its age':

1. Upgrading bowguns is different (overall easier but less useful) than upgrading any other weapon
2. Gunlance combos are nonexistent, and many gunlance moves (overhead smash, burst fire, etc.) don't exist
3. Certain weapon trees can branch into different weapon types (SnS can branch into DB, etc.)
4. If you make it to the endgame, SnS becomes nearly non-viable; it just doesn't have enough DPS to solo-kill many endgame monsters within 50 minutes.

Autocorrect keeps causing me to write things I didn't Nintendo.

My Nintendo: Northwind | Twitter:

Joeynator3000

Yeah, I mean, it's just one map at the moment, but I was hoping for something a bit smaller and less complicated than the maps in World. There were times where I would get lost so easily somewhere and I was never used to the mmo stuff that World had. (fast travel, the stupid scoutflies that sometimes wouldn't make up their minds on where to go, lol)

Pokemon Stream Clip

Keep it PG-13-ish.

JaxonH

@TheFrenchiestFry
I’m not sure we’ll ever know for sure, but the word is Sony didn’t want to pay for promotion and advertising for their handheld entries. So they moved over to Nintendo. And the time spent on 3DS built up a massive fanbase, which is good, because otherwise handheld Monster Hunter might have gone extinct after the PSP. And I doubt they’d take a risk on Nintendo nowadays without an existing fanbase present for a big, new, exclusive AAA game.

In any case, Freedom Unite is pretty rough to go back to. I played it some on Vita and... ya. Even MH3U, the game I started with, feels too rigid to go back to now. Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate is the only old style game I can stomach just because it’s sooooo much more fluid than previous entries. Coming from World they may all seem identical pre-World, but that’s definitely not the case. They made huge strides with MH4U and MH Generations.

But if you’ve played the 3DS entries you at least have an idea of what you’re getting into. Personally I would recommend MHGU on Switch, if you haven’t played it before. Not only because it’s a much more modern entry than Freedom Unite, but you also have a right analog stick and can play on the TV and in HD for either TV or handheld. And there’s actually a TON of QoL improvements even just compared to MH4U. It feels night and day from MHFU. That said, I think everyone at some point should play a bit of Freedom Unite, just to see how far we’ve come. It’s still a MH game, and is still fun. If you have thick enough skin to power through.

PLAYING
EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Ralizah

@JaxonH @Joeynator3000 It's like this game was specifically designed to address my every complaint about Generations, lol.

OK, yeah, I'm excited now.

ACTIVELY PLAYING

Joeynator3000

Sony was being stubborn back then, too. Capcom really wanted to localize Portable 3rd over here, but Sony wanted them to change stuff with the game and all that. I can't remember the whole story, but yeah...I think Sony wanted the game to have achievements and trophies or something. lol

Pokemon Stream Clip

Keep it PG-13-ish.

Tyranexx

@JaxonH If you praise the series that highly - ranked above some of my own fav franchises, even - how can I NOT try it? It really does look like this title will be more accessible than previous entries. Heck, now I'm even curious about Monster Hunter World and would seriously consider it if I owned a reliable means to play it. Just gonna have to settle for Rise. Thanks again for another video; I'll be giving that one a watch when I have a few spare moments before long.

I also appreciate the weapon rundown on the previous page. Dual blades and the Longsword both sound interesting. I've always preferred melee combat in a lot of games I've played. Magic users are too squishy, and I've never cared for ranged weapons other than for supplemental damage.

Currently playing: Secret of Mana (CoM/Switch), Pushmo

Switch Friend Code: SW-3478-2466-4791 | Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

JaxonH

@Tyranexx
Have you considered PC? I played MH World on PS4 when it released because the PC port came later, Plus I didn’t have a good gaming PC at the time anyways. But now, with those new 3080 cards that outperform my $1100 2080 ti it’s never been a better time to get a decent PC build. My PC cost $2800 before additional SSD storage, yet you could probably buy one for $1200 that not only outperforms PS5 and Series X, but even my PC. Just thanks to the cost of these new GPUs being insanely cheap, a true top tier build for $1200 is a reality now. 4K 60fps Ultra across the board. Good way to gain access to the bigger games that skip Switch without having to worry about $60/yr online, and having gyro aiming for every game (and ya, I use gyro for aiming my slinger and clutch claw in MH World, it’s awesome). Sorry for the sales pitch there but just thought I’d chime in with my thoughts. Of course, with Rise releasing you get access to a top tier MH right here on the Switch, with hybrid portability. So missing out on MH World isn’t as detrimental. Still, once you do play Rise, don’t be surprised if you’re foaming at the mouth to play World. Of course, we’ll get free monsters added in updates and the Ultimate version will release as a DLC expansion a year later, so you’ll be set on content for at least 2 years after release. But eventually, when you’re 500-1000 hrs in and decide to put it down, that day may come where you’re curious to play MH World (and the next MH that comes after Rise). And when that day comes, having a PC would be a great asset (of course, a $300 Series S would also buy access to any future games, and World).

Anyways, no problem. Nothing brings me joy like seeing new players get turned onto Monster Hunter. Dual blades and long sword are a great choice for starter weapons. I’m definitely a melee combat person, too. I like playing as a mage in Dragon Age, but for games like this, up close and personal is where all the action is. Picking a weapon in MH is such a huge decision. It will impact your experience for hundreds of hours. Not that you can’t change weapons at any point because you totally can. In my first game I actually learned three different weapons before I was done. Longsword, Dual blades and hunting horn. In fact I think it’s good to learn a couple weapons in your first game so that you have a bit of perspective and choice moving forward. But don’t worry about that yet. Just focus on learning one weapon and once you master it then you can branch out and maybe try to learn something else.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic