Forums

Topic: Metroid Dread

Posts 721 to 740 of 862

RR529

Got the Cross Bombs & Wave Beam last night. Glad to finally be finished with "that" E.M.M.I., and got super lucky too, as it managed to catch me 3 times while chasing me through that little maze, and I somehow managed to counter it everytime & put it down.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RupeeClock

@RR529
That's impressive if true, the window of opportunity for countering an E.M.M.I. is 0.2s on the first capture, and 0.1s on subsequent captures, with different timing on every capture.

RupeeClock

rallydefault

I've only just progressed to the second area and beaten that beast-type monster, but it's really fun. It doesn't seem like it's going to be as overwhelming as Hollow Knight, which was a good game, but just way too massive.

rallydefault

NintendoByNature

@rallydefault it's not. It's very accessible imo. I never felt lost or confused in the slightest. Just struggled against a few bosses is all.

NintendoByNature

jump

I've just finished the game and overall it's very impressive, it's not just another 2D Metroid in both gameplay and expectations which was my main concern when hearing rumours of it.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Buizel

@rallydefault I agree, and that's what I particularly like about this game. Hollow Knight was great at first, but became a bit too open and outstayed its welcome for a Metroidvania (at least for me - anything longer than 10 hours feels long for the genre and I spent almost 20 without an end in sight).

Dread is very streamlined and generally does a good job of indicating where to go next. Plus the pace is never broken as you're frequently finding upgrades.

At least 2'8".

RR529

I got to Raven Beak last night, and routinely got my butt kicked.

To be fair, by about the 3rd time I could clear the first phase with (near) full health, but he always seems to get me during the second phase, even only through war of attrition (I got good at dodging most of his attacks, but he always nickel & dimes me with that rapid fire attack & eventually wears me down before I can complete the phase).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Bolt_Strike

@RR529 I actually found the second phase to be the easiest. I'm surprised to hear he's hitting you more than you're hitting him.

Are you hitting him with Storm Missiles at every opportunity? His shield is down during the second phase (Samus destroyed it during the cutscene leading into the second phase), and as far as I know there's no Melee Counter opportunity during this phase, so you can just barrage him with Storm Missiles at your leisure. Just make sure you hit him when you're not at risk of being hit by one of his attacks of course, you can quickly dodge most of them and fire away when you're out or range (except for the rapid fire attack, best to avoid attack him until he's done with that attack).

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

NEStalgia

I, too, am having such a hard time with him I'm thinking of just ending the game there. Many retries and the farthest I get is one or two melee counters. I can't imagine surviving 3 phases of that.

Only other thing that gave me Hard time other than running from ohko rng Ennis was z57. The pink waves attacks were terrible. But rb, I just can't get anywhere at all. I do ok dodging but I can't stay perfect indefinitely.

NEStalgia

RR529

Untitled

That final boss can @#$& right off, lol. Seriously, I played Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1 & 2 a few months ago, and that was still one of the toughest bosses I've experienced all year. Satisfying to put him down, though.

@Bolt_Strike, since he was susceptible to all attacks at that point I was just spamming him with uncharged beam blasts (and while I was hitting him much more than the other way around, he can take more damage than I can, so he still came out on top). I remembered to throw in some missiles as well tonight, so after a few more tries I got him.

After I was done I watched one of those insane YouTube videos where someone managed to beat him with no E-Tanks & only beam attacks, and it turns out you can make him miss his beam barrage attack in phase 2! Apparently if you do a running melee counter & immediately transition to free aim while he's aiming his laser sight at you, Samus will be standing in an angled crouch position & he'll fire right over you, allowing you to lay into him the entire time he's firing away. Insane & I'd never have thought of that.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Bolt_Strike

@RR529 I'm not really good at button mashing, I just used Storm Missiles and I never had an issue with him dealing damage to me faster than I could to him. I think beam shots just aren't as efficient (either that or you didn't bother to collect all of the Energy Tanks like I did). Now IDK, maybe regular missiles are more efficient than Storm Missiles for someone who is really good at button mashing, but Storm Missiles have generally gotten the job done for me in every boss battle since I got them.

I also managed to beat him without knowing that you could Power Bomb the golden orbs in the third phase which would've made my life a lot easier. So if I'd have known about that I could've easily breezed through it.

I think part of the reason why some people are struggling has to do with their choice of weapon, I struggled with several other bosses like Escue and the Twin Chozo Robots but when I switched to Missiles/Storm Missiles I had less problems. It seems like the game's bosses are really encouraging you to use them as much as possible.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

MarioBrickLayer

I had a fairly productive session last night, I beat Z-57, the 2 Robot Chozo Soldiers in Burenia, Golzuna and the EMMI in Ferenia pretty much straight after each other.

Z-57 was interesting, it took a while, I think I was making a mistake for a while, I was dodging an attack rather than parrying it, if i'd realised that sooner it wouldn't have taken very long. [/spoiler] I agree with @783NEStalgia - I didn't like the pink waves!

Golzuna was straightforward, the biggest problem I had was catching the top of him whilst jumping which drains quite a bit of energy.

I'm finding the robot Chozo soldier fairly easy to dispatch now.

The toughest EMMI for me so far has been the one in [spoiler] Ghavoran, as I was trying to beat him on the ground for ages rather than at the top, and I was never able to get it hot enough to get past the first stage.

Edited on by MarioBrickLayer

MarioBrickLayer

Henmii

I am almost at the end: 17+ hours in (20+ according to my account), 90% completion. Lets hope I can get the remaining 10% and then go to the endboss. Its a meaty game, though I did spend quite some time on the map and I am the type who just wants to fill in every black spot on the map (as useless as that may be). Its a lovely game.

Beautiful graphics

beautiful music

Smooth controls (for the most part)

A big labyrinth-like world (I did get lost a couple of times)

EMMI zones where fun (and super exciting when you finally get to beat them and you can finally roam free)

Very hard and good bosses (and the EMMI parts where hard too)

And hard to get items! Some are sooo hard to get, especially everything involving shinespark. Shinespark was always tricky, and here you need perfect timing to get the items. Besides, you have to start the speedboost by pressing the analogue button while running, wich is pretty bad.

One thing I don't understand though: It seems using Storm missiles on bosses (wich use 5 missiles at a time) is more usefull then using lots of Super missiles (wich use 10 missiles each).

Really looking forward to that endboss!

Edited on by Henmii

Henmii

Octane

I beat Experiment Z 57. I took a little break since I last played the game, and I got stuck on this boss. Just beat him in three attempts. I knew about the shinespark trick to kill him instantly, but I couldn't pull it off, and defeated him the normal way. Not complaining lol.

Octane

link3710

Honestly, it's impressive how consistent it is with boss fights once you've played through the game a few times. With the exclusion of that one attack on the Cross Bombs boss, everything feels perfectly fair. Although the Cross Bombs boss in general is a pain without Spin Boost (or better yet, Space Jump).

link3710

Ninfan

How many Nintendo gold points does metroid dread special edition give, I got 60 gold points. The download version of metroid dread gives 300

Ninfan

NEStalgia

Dang, the more I try RB, the worse I do. I occasionally get to phase 2 and get chewed up rapidly. I hate multi part bosses without checkpoints. It's a mini rogue like, and I hate those too.

I don't have the reflexes for the rapid dodges. Never did, it's why I suck at souls and mh, too. I hate to leave this game unfinished but I think it's time to quit it and just watch the end on YouTube.

NEStalgia

NintendoByNature

@NEStalgia maybe check out some let's plays on YT to get some tips. Might help you overcome it.

NintendoByNature

Ryu_Niiyama

Tried the demo. Was a better time than I expected. The paths are obvious so it doesn’t feel as tedious (back tracking is to me as annoying as grinding in RPGs is to some people) as I normally get from metroid games. May have to dig out my 3ds and play returns. I will say Dread is totally on my must buy list next year. Will likely get it in the summer.

Sort wished Samus made some sounds though. Not voice acting, but she seems really quiet when the world around her isn’t. Granted stuff is trying to murder her and she is in a space suit, so it makes sense. I think it hits me weird because I am an introvert that likes to think out loud so I would be muttering under my breath in that suit. As I normally don’t like voice acting in games and it isn’t like the computer doesn’t fill in the blanks.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic