Forums

Topic: Metroid Dread

Posts 121 to 140 of 862

I-U

The Spider Ball, as it is in 2D Metroid, is not a classic upgrade. It has been only in Metroid 2 and its remake, Samus Returns, and probably for good reason. The Spider Ball in both games drags out and slows down the pacing of exploring SR388. The Spider Ball in the Metroid Prime Trilogy is significantly better because it is focused, and Dread's Spider Magnet is an improved version of that kind of Spider Ball interaction since now we can free aim from the strip. It would be redundant to have both the Spider Ball and Spider Magnet in Metroid Dread.

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

Bolt_Strike

@I-U Yeah, and that's the other thing with the Spider Ball, it's really only been in 2D in one game and they don't seem to keen on bringing it back. I really think it only slows the pace down in the bigger rooms in II/Samus Returns, but since the rooms are bigger here, maybe it's best to just stick with Spider Magnet. Or they could limit it to only work on Spider Magnet surfaces and just be useful for crawling in tighter passages that Samus couldn't fit through without the Morph Ball, but that might be a fairly niche use.

The only real "Classic" powerup I'm iffy on is the Grapple Beam, but mainly because it was left out in Fusion (but even then, it was planned to be included, it just never made the cut). It's still useful for swinging to reach high places (at least before you get the Space Jump) and those block puzzles they introduced in Samus Returns, and maybe a bit in combat too, but it feels like it wouldn't be missed much if it wasn't in.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

JaxonH

Spider Magnet doesn’t seem to be any faster than the Spider Ball, and tbh it never slowed anything down for me. Metroid is game about taking your time and exploring. They could always increase the speed though, which they did for running speed anyways so I don’t see why they couldn’t do it there as well.

Having the ability to explore the walls and ceilings is really freaking awesome and makes every room feel like there’s more to search and more hidden passageways to find. If they don’t include it and they only have the climbing mechanic on blue surfaces, it’s going to be a lot more limited, there won’t be hidden tunnels in the ceilings or normal walls, it just feels like there’s nothing to gain by omitting that ability.

I wasn’t aware the ability isn’t as prevalent in 2D, all I know is it’s in at least 5 different Metroid games I’ve played. But I also think it’s been so long since a new, pure 2D game has been made, that a lot of abilities that have become a mainstay in the last two decades should carry forward. Magnetic rails make perfect sense in a Prime game or Other M. Not sure how I feel about it in a 2D game though, because you can’t really depict magnetic rail surfaces any better than the blue surfaces, In which case there’s no reason to not just just spider magnet. So I think if they do it, they’ll do it all the way.

But, they’re gonna do what they’re gonna do.

@Joeynator3000
No scanning in 2D games. It would break the flow even more than switching to 1st person in Other M for missiles. I love scanning too- it’s a phenomenal mechanic, but it really only makes sense in the context of a 3D game.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Snatcher

No joke, I would have never played super metroid if it wasn't for E3.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Raylax

I think the reason scanning doesn't work so well in 2d metroid is purely a matter of pacing - it could definitely be done without switching the view to first-person (just make it work like the X-Ray Visor in Super Metroid; look for scan targets within a cone in front of Samus), but 2D Metroid tends to be faster paced and more reactive than Prime, which leans more towards slower and more careful observation. Scanning and stopping to read lore in 2D metroid I think would kill the pace.

Not to say it couldn't be done at all, but I think you'd need to remove or de-emphasise the lore-reading aspect of it. Maybe giving an enemy or a boss a quick scan could (without pausing gameplay) give some quick visual indicator of its weakness / weak points, with any textual lore relegated to the depths of the menu to read at leisure at a later time. I think that could work.

Raylax

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1400-0117 | Nintendo Network ID: RaylaxKai

NintendoByNature

Fusion and zero mission were near perfection. II was ok, but a little tough to navigate. I still need to play through super in it's entirety. And finally after having it for a few years I'm going to finish samus returns. Got about 14 metroids left to take down.

As for dread, the gameplay looks so fast and frantic I love it. That sliding mechanic though 😍

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

Snatcher

@Slowdive LMAO! I thought there was nothing wrong with the gameplay at all, Its going to look amazing at launch, if it don't it wont LOL.

Edited on by Snatcher

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

Octane

I mean, you kinda have to play a game to know how good it is. That speaks for itself. Otherwise it's nothing more than an assumption.

Octane

Zeldafan79

I saw some fool watching the reveal and when he saw it said metroid 5 he goes what about Prime 4 are they just skipping it and releasing 5 ahead of 4? I facepalmed at that one. Two different series of games dummy!

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

BruceCM

That's true, @Slowdive.... But they can't then be complaining about the game they haven't played or saying its bad, etc, either

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

NintendoByNature

@Slowdive I guess they're right. Yea I haven't played it, but its 2d metroid. It should be solid. But that's what we have reviews for right? They can make their decision to purchase based on that.. as for the price thing, I'm not bothered at all by $60. That pricing seems inline with all of their 1st party releases so I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from. If we find out it's only a 5 hour game (which I'm doubting), I can see it being a tough pill to swallow for some. But whatevs, I've been wanting a 2d metroid for a good while. I'd rather have it and pay $60 than not have it but save the $60. Besides, at least in the US Walmart has games for $49.99. So there's that too.

NintendoByNature

Snatcher

@Octane Eeee? I have to agree with @Slowdive on this one, and yes there have been times were I was sure I wouldn't like a game, and ended up liking it alot Cough metroid Cough buuuuuut At the same time I do pick a lot of games just by a hella lot of research, And I'm pretty sure I know a good game when I see it.

@BruceCM True, true.

@Zeldafan79 I saw some people saying that to, like TF? There not the same, yes same world, but they play, and developed, by totally different people.

@Slowdive Ok I don't like how that if its not 3d and its Bursting with Textures, its not worth 60$ like were the hell did that thinking come form? How does a 2d title have any less value then a 3d one? they can be in joyed all the same, and even if its a 3d title, it might still not be worth 60, TBH with you I kinda miss 2d games, I mean kinda like crash, or Mario, or Well anything! 2d games are starting to fade out (Even if By a little) we must save them! I mean this type of thinking is proof of that.

Edited on by Snatcher

MajorTom

Slowdive wrote:

@NintendoByNature No, they claim that if you've not played you cannot know if it's an outstanding game. 😂 Also complaints about the price because it's a 2D title. Trolls really seemed to have come out of the woodwork today.

This is rather hypocritical and basically the same but on the other side of the coin.....

Ashes to ashes, funk to funky.
We know Major Tom's a junkie.
Strung out in heaven's high
hitting an all-time low.

MajorTom

Slowdive wrote:

@MajorTom Why? because I shared my thoughts? I never went after somebody personally, so please don't accuse me of similar behavior, thank you.

Settings others away as "trolls" because they don't share your view is pretty much doing the same.

Edited on by MajorTom

hitting an all-time low.

MajorTom

@Slowdive
Ok, I can agree with that. It just seemed like you would call someone rather easily a troll if they did not agree on you about having doubts about Metroid Dread being worth $60.
I myself also got my doubt at the moment. The gameplay so far looks fairly much like an upscaled version of Samus Returns right now. It certainly looks like the same engine. I myself am not sure if that really is worth the full price, since the engine feels more based on the 3ds. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate also had its similarities with Samus Returns, since they were both made by MercurySteam.

Edited on by MajorTom

hitting an all-time low.

JaxonH

Honestly, I don’t give a flying flip what engine it’s using. It could be running on the SNES for all I care. It looks amazing. It’s a brand new mainline numbered entry of Metroid in full HD visuals built for Switch with QoL features from Samus Returns and more to boot. Everything I could’ve wanted.

It appears Samus Returns has risen to be the #1 best selling 3DS game ever since Dread was announced. This is so good to see because Samus Returns has to be one of the most underappreciated games to date. Bad timing releasing after Switch had dropped and people were tired of 3DS.

Untitled

Untitled

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Snatcher

@JaxonH Metroid is underrated for sure, I mean nobody talks about that game.

link3710

@JaxonH Maaaan I need to finish Samus Returns... playing stuff on 3DS is really difficult for me these days. I always end up drifting to the Switch instead.

link3710

I-U

Bolt_Strike wrote:

@I-U Yeah, and that's the other thing with the Spider Ball, it's really only been in 2D in one game and they don't seem to keen on bringing it back. I really think it only slows the pace down in the bigger rooms in II/Samus Returns, but since the rooms are bigger here, maybe it's best to just stick with Spider Magnet. Or they could limit it to only work on Spider Magnet surfaces and just be useful for crawling in tighter passages that Samus couldn't fit through without the Morph Ball, but that might be a fairly niche use.

It slows the pace in every room it is used in, unless the room is designed around using the Spiderspark later in the game. I'm currently in my third run of Samus Returns, bouncing between it and Federation Force, and tested some movement out after @JaxonH talked about the Spider Ball. On a surface, fully tilting the circle pad either left or right, Samus is at her fastest when on her feet running. Going into Morph Ball lowers that speed a bit, and going into Spider Ball lowers the speed even more than the Morph Ball which already is slower than Samus running. With the Space Jump later in the game making vertical areas relatively quick and easy to traverse, I think Samus Returns would have been a much better remake of Metroid II if it simply dropped the Spider Ball entirely and instead have more of a focus on the Space Jump, having it as an early upgrade. With the Spider Magnet not making Samus any smaller, I agree that there could be instances where there are tighter passages that only a Spider Ball can go explore, but I think the extent of its role should be like the Spring Ball in Super Metroid. Be a late game upgrade that gets used in acquiring a handful of expansions for those pursuing 100% completion, but be largely unnecessary towards completing the main game.

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic