Forums

Topic: Mega Man 11

Posts 101 to 120 of 121

ed5275

I love this game. Very fun to pick up and play.

Switch: 5856-1332-4219

Dezzy

This is the first mega man game I've really played and I absolutely love it. I might have to go back and play the old ones now!
Are they all this same formula? I know the NES games are very similar in their style. I like the way you can choose which order to do the levels, and then it makes future levels easier because of the new power.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

linq

@Dezzy Yeah, 11 is a modernized version of the older Mega Man games. Mega Man 2 is a must play if you don’t mind going back to 8-bit era graphics. The first is good too but the boss rush at the end is brutal.

linq

Dezzy

@linq

Are all the other games the exact same formula too? What about the various SNES and PS1 games?

Nearly everyone says Mega Man 2 and 3 are the best.

DarthNocturnal

Mega Man 1-11 use the “choose your level“ mechanic. I know some of the X games do as well. Possibly all of them, but I know the series shook some things up around 7 or 8.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

linq

@Dezzy The SNES Mega Man games are great too. Similar formula with some new characters and gameplay mechanics. The NES games just have more of that old school charm. Mega Man 2 has some of the best music from that era.

I really hope Capcom makes Mega Man 12 and puts it on Switch. One of the best franchises of all time IMO.

linq

Cotillion

@Dezzy The 'X' games typically follow the same formula as well, but add a bit of exploration to it, where you have to find X's upgrades throughout levels, sometimes revisiting level with new weapons to get them). So, X1 thru X6 deviate a little bit here and there (X6 having some stupid hard parts and the story gets a bit convoluted from this one forward), it's X7 were the series went weird. X7 tried to do 3D and it didn't pan out so well. I find it playable, but it's definitely an odd one. X8 is more traditional.

Of the classics, I agree that 2 & 3 are the best. 1 is good, but they hadn't perfected it yet and it's known for it's brutal difficulty in some places. 4 thru 6 are more of the same gameplay in new levels, I like them, but it really depends on how much more you want. 7 moved the classic series to SNES and so it looks a lot different and you don't get access to all 8 bosses at once like previous games. 8 was on the PS1. It's my least favorite of the classic series. 9 and 10 were made during the Wii/PS3 era, but in the style of the NES games. They can be tough, but were good games, IMO.

I'll note that the mainline series form one massive storyline, some parts of which have yet to be filled in (one notably huge gap between 2 of the series has yet to be shown).
Mega Man classic series -> X series -> Zero series -> ZX series.

This post ended up longer than I initially planned, but I've been a Mega Man enthusiast for about 30 years now, lol.

Cotillion

link3710

@Cotillion You forgot ZX->Legends. Or well, ZX->->->Legends considering the time jump between them.

On the topic of Megaman games in general, each subseries represents an entirely different gameplay style that doesn't vary too much between main titles (with the notable exception of X7). So all Classic games play the same, X, Zero, ZX, BN, SF, Legends. But then the spinoffs for each era can be just about anything.

Also, anyone have any clue why Megaman & Bass wasn't part of the classic pack? It was basically the original Megaman 9, feels weird that it wasn't included.

link3710

Dezzy

Just remembered I have the original collection on the 3DS, so I'll go and play those next.

Cotillion

@link3710 Yeah, I kinda left out Legends because of the huge time gap to it and that it is nothing at all like a traditional Mega Man game.

link3710 wrote:

Also, anyone have any clue why Megaman & Bass wasn't part of the classic pack? It was basically the original Megaman 9, feels weird that it wasn't included.

I'm very disappointed it wasn't included. We (will) have pretty much all the mainline series up to ZX on modern systems except this one game. That they omitted it is a weird choice.
Even when Mega Man 9 proper came out, this game still fits in the overall story and wasn't overwritten, so it makes no sense to omit just because it isn't a 'numbered' entry and has a bit of a different choice progression system.

Edited on by Cotillion

Cotillion

Dezzy

The bosses feel like 2D Dark Souls bosses to me.

Zeldafan79

Can we just get Mega man X9 already? Enough with the classic series!

Zeldafan79

toiletduck

This topic just peaked my curiosity again for the X series. Just watched some reviews and decided that I'm picking up legacy x 1 during the next Capcom sale. Will be nice with the SNES controller that's almost arriving!

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

PACO_PEREZ

Loved Megaman 11. I grew playing megman and maaan they are great and difficult. X games are Logically more modern then the numerical series. Which are great but more unforgiving to players. Anyone that liked this game should definitely play/buy the legacy collections.

If you like this game but want a more modern take on the series, I recommend Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack on switch. Is a more modern (and anime style).

Megaman games are great... Just... Just don't play megman 1... Really like.. Just ignore it... Is hell on earth in megman style.

PACO_PEREZ

manicsounds

Just got the Japanese "Rockman & Rockman X: 5 in 1 Special Box", which includes the original 10 Rockman (Mega Man) games, the 8 Rockman X (Mega Man X) games, Rockman 11, a book with the Japanese voice acting script for "11" and an acrylic stand in a hard box. The previously download only releases are now on physical gamecards and the box is the only way to get them in physical form. All games have multi language options and include both the original Japanese "Rockman" and the localized "Mega Man" versions on each gamecard. Unfortunately no space in the box for the upcoming "ZX" collection.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

manicsounds

Agriculture

ed5275 wrote:

I love this game. Very fun to pick up and play.

This is probably why so many fans of the series don't like it. The original games were the opposite of "pick up and play". With that said, it's perfectly reasonable for Capcom to make a game that has broader appeal.

I'm a fan of the original series on the NES. Mega Man 9 was amazing, and Mega Man 10 was very good too (though not as good as 9). Overall I don't understand why people want so many Mega Man games. When the Mighty Number 9 fiasco happened, all I could think was how we already got two Mega Man games recently. 7-8 years isn't that long, since you play other games.

Agriculture

kkslider5552000

Agriculture wrote:

This is probably why so many fans of the series don't like it. The original games were the opposite of "pick up and play"

Sincere question here: Do you know what "pick up and play" means?

Pick up and play literally just means they require no time to understand how to play them and/or have the gameplay start ASAP. An NES game where you jump, shoot and run right is very much easy to understand and those games starts as soon as you pick a stage. It's called that because you can just pick up the controller...and play it. And in fact those old Megaman games have less mechanics to understand and honestly fit better into that criteria.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

Tasuki

@Agriculture You obviously don't know the meaning of pick up and play. The original games were very much that. Really the only strategy was what order to take on the bosses and even then you don't have to do that.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Agriculture

Tasuki wrote:

@Agriculture You obviously don't know the meaning of pick up and play. The original games were very much that. Really the only strategy was what order to take on the bosses and even then you don't have to do that.

Nobody can start up an early Mega Man game and just finish a level. It involves tons and tons of trial and error. Just because all you do is shoot and jump doesn't mean the game is "pick up and play".

Agriculture

the8thark

Agriculture wrote:

Nobody can start up an early Mega Man game and just finish a level. It involves tons and tons of trial and error. Just because all you do is shoot and jump doesn't mean the game is "pick up and play".

This is 100% false. The better Mega Man games have surprisingly little trial and error in them. They pre-empt all of what you need to do so you are ready for it. Sure the secret areas in games form the X series for example take a while to find but you can really pick up an early Mega Man game and just play it.

Mega Man 1 was just really hard and the controls were not that good. Not really trial and error, we knew what to do, jsut doing it was really difficuly. Mega Man 2 toned down the difficulty and also not that trial and error. The only trial and error parts are one of the Wily stages with the invisible floors and the wall canon boss that can screw you if you don't come in with enough of the right weapon ammo.

Mega Man 11 on the other hand is 100% trial and error. here's why:

1. The knockback from the enemies is so large that every hit in the stage proper is an instant death.
2. The enemies are placed in such a way that you either avoid then entirely or take a hit and fall into a pit or spikes because the being hit animation and knockback is so long. There's nothing you can do about it apart from not getting hit. Very different to other Mega Man games where you can take multiple hits from enemies and often you die from running out of life.
3. There's no warning to let you know there's a screen scroll segment in a level in Mega Man 11. These segments are just pattern memorisation. You learn it through multiple deaths as if you're too slow you are pushed into a spike or a pit and die.
4. Much of the game is designed around the slow down ability. Such that the ability feels like a necessity, not a powerup. This mostly applies to the sub bosses and bosses.

There's more wrong with Mega Man 11 but that's outside the scope of this direct reply to you.

Mega Man 2 as an example, though Mega Man X follows this too, introduces you to the main challenge in a level early on, in an easier way so you know what to expect and then later on in the level ramps it up so you have to get good to beat the level. Most of the challenge in these classic Mega Man games is not trial and error. It's practice makes perfect. You know what to do, just need to practice so you get good enough to actually do it.

the8thark

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic