Forums

Topic: Super Mario Odyssey

Posts 461 to 480 of 2,057

Maxz

@meleebrawler We've already seen him become a Bullet Bill, which is kinda close. It wouldn't surprise me if he were able to possess an actual bird, or maybe even plane (he can possess tanks, right?) in some section the game. Probably not very often though, as allowing the players to frequently fly over stuff kinda defeats the purpose of a platforming game.

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

Zyrac

Mario Galaxy already had no fall damage, y'know. Granted, it mattered less with the level design.

Zyrac

Twitter:

SKTTR

@Meowpheel Right, if you don't count Donkey Kong on NES and Game Boy.

Fall-damage in Super Mario 64 was never really a bad thing, as you could always save yourself with a timed buttstomp or divejump or airkick and land softly. Really, there were at least 3 buttons that could save you from losing energy from a long distance drop, which made it easy even for beginners to avoid taking fall-damage (and we all were beginners back then in the realm of 3D platformers). It was something new and innovative back then and it felt right, and it showed some of the N64's physics and gave Mario even more skills and animations, even though they could have done without it.
Similarly in Super Mario Sunshine, you could just hover with your water tank or perform a dive jump to slide and be safe, in Galaxy you could shake the Wiimote and spin, etc.

I've no problem with taking fall-damage, especially when it's done as nice as in Donkey Kong for Game Boy and the 3D Marios. Seeing it gone in Odyssey doesn't make much of a difference to me, I will still save myself with a timed slide, just so I don't have to see Mario's crashing-into-the-ground animation and lose time. I'm fine with the game not punishing you by taking Mario's health or life, because it's punishing enough looking/playing like a noob and watching Mario's crash animation at nearly every drop, when it's so easy to avoid it in the first place.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

rallydefault

Yea, the fall damage was easily avoidable with the "butt stomp" and such, but like @Octane said, it was still a gameplay input that the player had to make to avoid the damage, which in a small way adds to the game. They should have just kept it that way.

rallydefault

TuVictus

If I was in the decision chair, I probably would have kept it in, but it's in no way a real deal breaker for me. Like was mentioned, it depends on the level design. We may be surprised at how little we find ourselves falling great distances. Either way, nothing could make me lose hype for this game unless they introduced micro transactions or a season pass

TuVictus

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Rough translation: "Good morning! It is a basic action "crouching". You can also attack or crouch and walk."

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

TuVictus

Man this is going to be THE Switch game. Similar to Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, this is the game that will always be vivid in my memory

TuVictus

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Untitled

Rough translation: "This is "Capture Senobi" which captured the new character "Senobi". It is a character image of a bulb. You can see chopsticks in the distance! What?"

"You can move to high places, break blocks and things."

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

Tyranexx

Those eyes.... O________O Kinda spoopy.

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

meleebrawler

@Tsurii It's probably not going to happen, but it'd be really neat if Isle Delfino happened to be one of the ''kingdoms'' visited in this game, with an expanded Delfino Plaza to explore.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

Octane

I think Isle Delfino is too specific to be considered a ''Kingdom''. There's no point unless it's an actual replica of Isle Delfino, and at that point, why not release it as Sunshine HD? The Mushroom Kingdom can be anything. Ask anyone to draw a map of the Mushroom Kingdom, and well, you can't. As long as there's a castle (which changes appearance from game to game), bits of green, mushroom, it can be anything. I think in most (2D) games they also call the desert, ocean and whatnot worlds part of the Mushroom Kingdom, but I don't think they're going to focus on that.

What we need is a ''Wii U Kingdoom''

...I'm sorry...

Octane

Luna_110

It would be great to revisit Isle Delfino in an HD remaster, but it seems Nintendo has no intentions of remastering anything else.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

Grumblevolcano

I think Nintendo will return to GC remasters once they've got the important Wii U games released on Switch.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Eagle9

Day one buy for me, only Mario Kart has been so far. For Switch.

It all started from Game&Watch.

3DS Friend Code 5455 9594 9430.
Switch Friend Code 7313-1538-3028.

Shmickle

CANNOT WAIT! I can easily see myself putting countless hours into Odyssey

Shmickle

Switch Friend Code: SW-1285-4208-8901 | My Nintendo: Shmickle

Old_Goat_Ninja

Pre-ordered this and will be getting it on release day, but I've been avoiding this thread. Just curious, how on earth have you guys been rambling on for 27 pages about a game that isn't out yet lol? I hope a new thread is made when it actually releases so that people that are wanting to talk about playing the game don't have to search through 50 pages of nothing first.

Switch: SW-8029-5307-6701
PSN: Old_Goat_Ninja
XBL: Old Goat Ninja
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/OldGoatNinja

Old_Goat_Ninja

@Tsurii Yeah, I know. It would make sense to start a new thread to be honest though. All the regulars who get it on release day it wont matter, but new people that join a month or two after release will have a hard time knowing where to start for any useful info.

Anyways, I just thought it was funny that's there's so much talk about a game that isn't released yet haha. I've been avoiding this thread for the most part. I'm one of those types that prefers to wait and see what we actually get. I'm looking forward to it coming out.

Switch: SW-8029-5307-6701
PSN: Old_Goat_Ninja
XBL: Old Goat Ninja
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/OldGoatNinja

Maxz

I don't think there's much risk of coming across 'useful informal' in many many of the previous 26 pages. It's largely just wild speculation, absurd dreaming, and misty-eyed reminiscing.

I don't know what good starting a new thread would do except replace 27 pages of meaningless content with 0 pages of meaningless content.

I just don't understand the motive. Forums are just for discussing stuff, not for accumulating meaningful information. We have the main site for news and features about the game. The forums don't provide any service other than to give people a place to talk about something. And in however many months it's been since the game was announced, these 27 pages are evidence of exactly that.

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

Zyrac

Maxz wrote:

Forums are just for discussing stuff, not for accumulating meaningful information.

I wish the Smash community would realise this. There's all this helpful information that's mostly found in forum posts and tweets because nobody bothers to put it somewhere more convenient. Some other places do this as well, of course.

Zyrac

Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic