Forums

Topic: Super Mario 3D All-Stars

Posts 2,461 to 2,480 of 3,125

StuTwo

Balta666 wrote:

64 stars into Galaxy. The game plays fine but the fixed camera is infuriating, I really cannot understand how people crap on sunshine camera that works fine and be good with this. 3d platformers need free camera to be able to always get the right angle to understand the depth of the jump required

In general Galaxy is quite forgiving because the combination of the long jump and the spin give you time to adjust yourself before landing. And the hit box is generous in your favour whenever it needs to be. I do wish that I had more control of the camera but it is generally very good at giving you a good angle anyway and I've found it very rarely punishes me like Sunshine often does.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Banjo-

@Toy_Link A bit long for what it reveals and he totally forgot about the triangular blocks in Super Mario World.

https://www.mariowiki.com/images/thumb/d/d1/TriBlSMW.jpg/200p...

I had assumed that Super Mario Galaxy uses that kind of gravity information and I had realised that Mario was shorter and his arms stood out like never before but now I see it's because of the spherical hit boxes. I don't think that the game design is as perfect as some people think, many times I fell off "discs" but it's quite interesting, anyway. At least, it makes easier to have an "intelligent" camera. Overall, Super Mario Galaxy needed to be easier and more forgiving for the idea to work.

I much prefer Super Mario 64 and Sunshine, though, camera included.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Don

I just finished Mario Sunshine and am thinking of getting all 120 sprites. Is it worth it? I heard the obstacle courses have to be repeated this time not only getting 8 red coins but it’s timed as well. I had quite a bit of trouble with some of them and got really frustrated not sure if I want to redo them with the added challenges. Does the game show which blue coins you already collected? I lost track of which specific ones I already got.

Don

porto

@Don the red coin missions inside the secret levels are mostly easy. The timer is generous and you have FLUDD. The end game reward isn’t anything special, so don’t get your hopes up. I’m not going to spoil it obviously.

If you press L, you can access the map of the island. Hover over the worlds to see how many coins you’ve collected. It won’t tell you what you need on each level though.

porto

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

Don

@Apportal
Thank you for your feedback. It’s a relief knowing FLUDD can be used in the obstacle courses for the red coins. I guess I will give the 120 a shot.

Don

MarioVillager92

@Apportal I have a tendency to get as much stars as I could, lol. So I took the first route you mentioned in my Mario playthrough in SMG. I kind of mixed things up in my SMS playthrough, flip-flopping between worlds while still getting all the shine sprites. I think I'll do that second route in my Luigi playthrough, just to change things up a bit - but I wanna take a break from SMG since I just got 120 stars.

@Balta666 You're welcome.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

Beaucine

@John_Deacon

I got 100 coins without having to reach the upper and more difficult areas, like the house and the ship.

With just the maze, between red and blue coins, you should be getting about half of what you need.

The rest are: in the rotating platforms before the maze, including the lakitu that chases you around; the lower portion with the swing and the dropping platforms; and the first platform with the electrical amp orb, right at the beginning, which has a whole bunch of coins.

Provided you get those blue coins by wall jumping onto the top of the maze, which is the hardest part of the run, the rest is relatively easy. Of course, it's still Rainbow Ride, so it's not actually easy. But you can at least avoid the most difficult parts and both of the branching flying carpet routes.

Edited on by Beaucine

Beaucine

porto

Man, Galaxy was a lot easier then I remembered. The only galaxy that gave me even remote trouble was Dreadnought, and that was more infuriating then challenging.

porto

RR529

Finished up the Shadow Mario mission in Pinna Park, and am up to 41 Shines now. It had a couple irritating missions (red coins on the pirate ships & clearing out the electric turtles behind the ferris wheel), but was otherwise a cool world. I liked the Mecha Bowser fight (a bit clunky in practice, but a cool setpiece)

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Qwertyninty

Mario 64 is just a horrible game.

Qwertyninty

porto

Qwertyninty wrote:

Mario 64 is just a horrible game.

So you have chosen, death

Edited on by porto

porto

porto

Rainbow Road is both my favorite and least favorite world in the game. I hate all the waiting and the unnecessary difficulty, but I love how vast and explorable it is. Instead of the usual "Get to the top of the mountain for the 5th time and get a star" You get to move around and use the magic carpets to explore.

So in case you haven't noticed, I moved back into 64. It took a little motivation, but I want to get my money's worth and 100% all three games. I got a couple of stars in Rainbow Road and finished off Tick-Tock Clock.

I want to ask: Is there any way to do the Metal Mario stage easier? I've been putting it off, since the seemingly only possible way to do it is incredibly infuriating. As far as I can tell, I have to go back to the Hazy-Maze Cave level and use Dorrie to reach the doors. Which would be fine if it didn't send me to the castle grounds every time I failed. I know it's an old game, but something that tedious and redundant is absolutely ridiculous. Any help would be appreciated.

porto

shazbot

Just wrapped a 120/120/242 run over the weekend.

Overall a couple thoughts:

Mario 64: I was surprised how gracelessly the camera has aged. I remember when my friend got an N64 as a kid and I was blown away (I mean isn't there a YT video of the crowd marveling at Mario running in a circle at SpaceWorld 95 or something?), and playing it again now I was annoyed at the camera more than anything. Beyond that, however, the level design is still slick, I like that the game doesn't explicitly tell/show you objectives (like Sunshine and Galaxy) and you need to do a bit more exploration. Fun, but clearly from another era. That said...I liked it more than Yooka Laylee which I played earlier this year.

Sunshine: I think in retrospect this was my favorite of the collection. Mario's handling is super tight, you can squeeze off a side jump in tiny spaces and the FLUDD allowed for more expansive designs (and challenging level structure) than in 64, but it definitely is still flawed. They pushed the difficulty too far in a couple places (poison river) but I enjoyed the exploratory component of the blue coins. It would have been nice to have a bit more variety in the missions, but it was nice to have 'secret' shines that aren't told to you anywhere.

Galaxy: Coming straight from a 120 run of sunshine, I was disappointed with how 'slow' Mario feels. Nothing crazy, but he just feels like he's wearing the wrong shoes or something. That said, visually this looks great, the 60fps looks great and the level designs are sumptuous. Had a lot of fun, but annoyed at the Luigi run to 100%. His physics are sloppy and I found him more annoying than anything else.

Overall: Worth the money, but sad no bonuses for 100%ing everything.

shazbot

Banjo-

Rainbow Ride is a really cool stage, the only thing I don't like is the music (which is also Tick Tock Clock's music). You never have to wait too long on the same carpet, there are obstacles to avoid: fire, platforms...

Apportal wrote:

I want to ask: Is there any way to do the Metal Mario stage easier? I've been putting it off, since the seemingly only possible way to do it is incredibly infuriating. As far as I can tell, I have to go back to the Hazy-Maze Cave level and use Dorrie to reach the doors. Which would be fine if it didn't send me to the castle grounds every time I failed. I know it's an old game, but something that tedious and redundant is absolutely ridiculous. Any help would be appreciated.

Stomp the green switch located in one area that you reach thanks to Dorrie, who looks in the same direction that Mario looks (for everyone else to understand, ground pound on "Nessie", stand on his head and look in the direction you want to go). When you reach the new area behind a double door, just jump from one platform to the other until you reach the end. If you fall down swim towards one side of the cave and you'll never be dragged by the current more than a few metres. Of course, ignore the block near the waterfall, it has a life.

Once you have hit the green switch, get in the water and walk on the bottom to get the red coins. If you need more Metal Mario time, there is a green block near the start (Metal Mario is not dragged by the current).

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Beaucine

@Apportal

What's giving you trouble there? Reaching the doors with Dorrie is pretty easy. Just remember to "steer" him by looking in the direction you want to go in. (I thought he moved around at random at first, until I realized I had control over him.) Then the actual stage shouldn't give you much trouble. Head straight for the switch, pick up the red coins along the way, and once you activate the metal cap, pick up the rest of the red coins underwater, around the switch.

Beaucine

Banjo-

@shazbot Congratulations and I agree with the whole comment. Just one thing, Super Mario 64's camera is not supposed to be controlled continuously but you choose a distance and angle for each situation. Lakitu's further away camera on Mario's side is usually good for platforming, same camera from behind is good for exploration and Mario's camera is perfect for narrow bridges.

ToadBrigade wrote:

@shazbot So there’s no unlockable Galaxy 2?🥺

A sad confirmation, indeed 😥.

Banjo-

Beaucine

Yeah, the Mario 64 camera has its own logic. I found there was almost always an angle that worked for each situation. It's definitely not how we're used to dealing with cameras today, but it does more or less work. There are a few times when there's no defending it. Whenever you're in cramped spaces — like in the underwater city in Wet-Dry or the platforms with the red coins in Tiny-Huge --, the camera does tend to break. And if you need to point the camera down to determine jump distances, it won't always let you do that. So the jump ends up feeling like that scene in Indiana Jones 3 where Indy steps on the invisible walkway. You just have to believe!

Anyway, I finished Mario 64 last night with all 120 stars. It was hugely satisfying, since I'd never really played the game before. I was actually not planning on 100%ing the game, simply because I almost never 100% anything. Just not a thing with me. I especially never expected to do the 100 coin stars. But then I got one in one level, and in another, and in another. Until I just said, screw it, I'll get all of them. I cursed the most with Rainbow Ride last Saturday. Those blue coins in the maze are tough to get. And you only get one chance per run. Harsh.

Beaucine

porto

@Beaucine It's not the level that's hard, it's getting to it. However, I never knew I could steer him. I thought I had to get him as close to the doors as possible and then jump, and if I missed I had to wait another 5 minutes for him to circle back. I'll try and knock that level out this afternoon. Thanks for the tip

porto

porto

@BlueOcean I didn't even see that. Thanks for the helpful tip as well

porto

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic