Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

Posts 521 to 540 of 726

HobbitGamer

I’ve already sunk about four hours and only done 2 dungeons. I’m exploring and doing side things, played with Dampe some. Certainly worth my $60.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Joeynator3000

The framerate thing doesn't bug me too much, but I'm still sure they could fix it....question is....will they?

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

DenDen

The frame rate is noticable, and they should fix that.
Like mentioned above me to trash a game because of it well thats a little too hars for me, BOTW had also massive framedrops.

Im 4 hours into the game and on my way to dungeon 3 now.
Slowy taking my time explorering the area listening to the GREAT soundtrack.
And take my time for it.
I see many 100% runs already and then Im thinking that whould ruin the expirience for me playing it so darn fast.
Yes I played every version that is released of this game so I could do the same, BUT I dont want too I want too enyoy every bit of it.

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

Zeldafan79

Remember in the 80's and 90's when nobody talked about framerate in videogames? Ahh good times! I recall little me about 1992 purchasing my very own copy of Link to the past. I don't however recall asking the clerk um sir does this game run at 60 frames per second? LOL Jeeze the expectations of gamers these days. Back then nobody cared. We be like... COOL THE NEW ZELDA IS OUT! yoink!

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

Zeldafan79

Of course i didn't pay attention back then I was 13. I was just a kid who wanted to play videogames. Not analyze every minute detail like some highly educated electronic and computer expert. Also i wasn't trying to derail anything. Just a humorous observation. I never heard any kids talk about framerate probably until the PS2 came out. Maybe I'm just a simple guy who loves his videogames.

Edited on by Zeldafan79

Anti-Matter

@Galenmereth
I don't really mind if Link's Awakening fps is between 30 - 60 fps, as long the game is not broken / crashed.
Same case with Dragon Quest Builders 1 Switch on handheld mode.

Anti-Matter

Zeldafan79

Wow somebody's uptight. I figured the reason nobody talked about it is because kids back then didn't know what the hell framerate was. Am i the only one here who just thought videogames were cool and wanted to play them? You obviously know more about this stuff then i do so i look forward to your thesis on BOTW 2 or whatever they call it.

rallydefault

@NintendoSlav
You're being absolutely ridiculous, and I stick to that.

But I'll give you a shot at having an actual conversation about this, because people come here to gain an impression about the game and whether or not they should purchase it. So tell me, what makes the game "poor value"? You made it clear you haven't played the game on Gameboy, and you are also relying on reviews to determine the length of the game. That being established, what makes this game not worth 60 dollars to you?

• Are 9 dungeons not enough? (Not counting smaller "dungeons" like the Dream Shrine, the castle, etc.)
  • Is the Overworld too small? (You're a "few" hours in, so you most likely haven't uncovered it all, but go ahead and humor me)
  • Have you experimented with the dungeon maker? Have you finished all the dungeon maker quests? Do you not enjoy its functionality? Do you resent the use of amiibo to get more parts/share the dungeon?
  • Do the gameplay mechanics not feel right to you? (character movement, item response time/functionality, sword swinging, hit detection etc.)
  • Do you not enjoy the story? Is it not engaging enough? Do the characters not resonate with you/are there too few characters to enjoy the game?
  • Are there not enough side enterprises like minigames that slightly tweak gameplay, collectibles to search for, etc.? Do you believe the rewards for finding these things (the shells, for instance) or not worth the time?

Please, I'm interested now. For someone so willing to come out and label this a "cash grab," you better have the feedback and intellect to back that up.

@Galenmereth
Those facts are lovely, but to my eyes, frame rates dips are frame rate dips. I would wager the same can be said for most people. (Except for you, oh gaming god/dev.) When I'm just chilling on my couch playing a game without any other media around to compare framerate to, my eyes can't tell if it's dipping from 30 to 20, 60 to 40, blah blah to blah blah. Thanks for the info, you made an impressive-looking wall of words, but unless I'm running BotW and LA side-by-side, dips are dips. It's disappointing LA shipped with these dips, and they are EVERYWHERE in the game, but they are nowhere near as jarring as you're making them out to be, at least to me. Or let me put it this way: they are as jarring to me in this game as they are to me in other games with these issues.

Your comments about framerates only becoming an issue lately is also...puzzling, to put it mildly. How long have you been gaming? I'm old enough to have owned an NES when it launched, and by god I remember some horrible frame rate chugs on that thing. Do you not remember Zelda II when you were in the field and a bunch of monsters would show up and circle your character? Come on, man. You make a big post like that but then ruin your credibility/make me question your experience with a silly little post stating "they rarely and only in extreme cases were significant" years go.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

redd214

Game is great, framerate issues are noticeable but not really a big deal to me and definitely doesn't distract from the fun at all. Game is worth the price of admission imo.

redd214

Dezzy

Galenmereth wrote:

As a developer myself, the issues here seem to come from memory leaks. I obviously don't know for sure but it's very consistent with those types of issues when I've had them in the engines I've written myself. And it's absolutely patchable if so, and it's something I really hope they do. And it can only help that people complain about it.

Memory leaks don't last for 3 seconds then disappear without a trace, repeatedly.
The frame rate drops whenever you go into a new area. It's obviously some kind of data streaming issue. They're trying to load the adjacent area into RAM too quickly. Which seems like a kind of weird issue for such a simple game as this. If Breath of the Wild and Xenoblade 2 can handle loading 3D maps, this game should be able to handle loading a 2D map.
To be honest, I would've preferred they just fixed the whole thing to 30fps if they can't maintain 60.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

rallydefault

@Galenmereth
Now the CRT difference makes sense to me, I can "see" that (ha). But like I said, honestly, 60-30 or 30-15 makes very little difference to me unless I'm running a game next to another game/some other image for contrast. Providing numbers is fine in an academic sense, but in a practical sense they make no difference to me. It's still a framerate dropping frequently, and it's a shame they shipped it like this. It's not gonna stop me from pouring hours into this game just like it hasn't stopped me in games from Ghosts and Goblins all the way to Breath of the Wild.

@Dezzy
I thought about that, too. It seems to me they must have some kind of reason for not just target 30fps. I can't think of one, though. It's not like this is an fps that relies on insane response times or anything.

rallydefault

NintendoSlav

@rallydefault LOL did are you feeling OK today? Sounds like you spent the last hour blowing steam from your ears and throwing a tantrum because other people don't like the same game as you. Doesn't sound like you're in the frame of mind for an actual discussion but for the sake of it:

Are 9 dungeons not enough? - 9 dungeons is plenty, but they're not nearly as long or challenging enough as later Zelda titles. Majoras Mask only had 4 dungeons IIRC but just getting to them was hours of work, and figuring out how to get thru them took a lot of critical thinking and tough battles.

Is the Overworld too small? Yes, compared to modern Zelda titles which had a much larger world and required horses to get around.

Have you experimented with the dungeon maker? - No, because I already paid the developers to make the dungeons for me. If I pay for a pancake I expect to be given a pancake, not the ingredients required to make one. I shouldn't have to put up hours of my own time just to create a dungeon to enjoy.

Do the gameplay mechanics not feel right to you? (character movement, item response time/functionality, sword swinging, hit detection etc.) - No, they don't actually. Movement is 8 directional so you're mostly locked on set paths. The jump button is wonky and doesn't always work when you're trying to clear quick platforming segments. You can fall in a hole just by getting to close to it because the game engine can't recognise the difference in position. Sword swinging is just a matter of button mashing - no technique or variation at all. And yes, sometimes the hit detection is a little wonky too.

Do you not enjoy the story? Is it not engaging enough? Do the characters not resonate with you/are there too few characters to enjoy the game? - No, not really. The main premise is basically that Link is stuck on an island, and for some strange reason someone has put all these dungeons on this island for no apparent reason. There's no character development, relationships, or much of a backstory compared to previous Zelda stories. BoTW's story felt like a novel. It had a backstory changed over time, and most of all it made some sort of sense.

Are there not enough side enterprises like minigames that slightly tweak gameplay, collectibles to search for, etc.? Do you believe the rewards for finding these things (the shells, for instance) or not worth the time? Compared to past Zelda games, no not nearly enough. BoTW had like 900 Korok seeds.

NintendoSlav

Dezzy

@Galenmereth

Yeah that's weird. If you scroll around the map when it's zoomed out, it's 30fps. If you scroll around when it's zoomed in, it's 60fps.

I just get the sense that Grezzo don't have quite as good programmers as Nintendo EAD do. None of these things feel like they should exist in such a simple game.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Octane

Frame rate is noticeable. Kinda annoying, but whatever. Gameplay it's my jam; top-down classic Zelda.

I personally think it should've been a €40 game, but that's just me. Compared to any other €60 game, it's quite small in scope, and they could copy most of the stuff from the original (map layout, characters, story). So yeah, I personally think that a remake should never be €60, but that's just me.

I'm enjoying the game though.

Octane

bimmy-lee

I’ve only had a chance to glance at the icon on my home screen, and that alone has been worth the voucher I spent on it. Everything else will be added value.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

HexagonSun

I'm absolutely loving this remake. I'm glad it's been so long since my last playthrough that I've forgotten most of the puzzles.

Is it just me or does anyone else find Link's screams when he falls down a hole slightly disturbing? He sounds hilarious when he falls in water.

HexagonSun

rallydefault

@StephanDLW
lol yea...he directed that at me? The guy defending the game (for the most part)? I never cease to be perplexed around here lol

rallydefault

Sadist

As someone who loves the original to bits, the remake is pretty damn solid. Yes, framerate issues; they’re there, but I don’t notice them that frquently. I might have not have eagle eyes like others, but hey.

Its weird that while I played the game for the first time in ‘96 I believe, I remember so much about the game. Really tells you something about the tight design of the game.

Sadist

Nintendofantendo

Okay, so I'm stuck. It's to the right of the tail cave. That little island with a plant on it. I was able to use my Pegasus boots and jump to get to the island but now I can't get back. Every time I land on the island I drown again. I really don't want to start my game over again, does anyone have any advice

Nintendofantendo

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic