Forums

Topic: Switch Controller Discussion

Posts 161 to 180 of 594

Octane

@Nintensity Well, yeah, each Joy-Con has its own shoulder button and trigger. I know that. But if you're using it sideways, you can't access that trigger anymore. There's only a control stick and four buttons you have access too. That's not enough for a standard shooter. It may be enough for a relatively simple sports game, or a party game, but I don't think that every multiplayer game will get support for individual Joy-Cons, some multiplayer games will require a second Pro Controller instead.

Octane

Nintensity

@Octane You would still have access to the triggers, but it will be on the side when split apart to use individually for multiplayer, but I see your point when it comes to certain multiplayer games requiring the use of all the buttons together. A pro controller indeed would make more sense for such games when having a 2nd player.

Nintensity

Octane

@Nintensity This is actually how you hold an individual Joy-Con, the trigger is located on the lower right (lower left for the left Joy-Con). You can technically still access the button, but it's not comfortable at all:

Untitled

Octane

Nintensity

@Octane It appears it may also have an additional shoulder button. Check out my previous post.

Nintensity

iKhan

Octane wrote:

@Nintensity This is actually how you hold an individual Joy-Con, the trigger is located on the lower right (lower left for the left Joy-Con). You can technically still access the button, but it's not comfortable at all:

Untitled

People are so picky about controller comfort these days. People used to play with a completely non ergonomic NES controller or the janky Atari Joystick. Nowadays if a controller isn't perfectly contoured people throw a fit.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

JaxonH

I like the Joycons. I mean, it was a portable system and had to have controls on the sides of it. The choice was either make it a permanent addition to the unit or make them detachable, and I think detachable definitely has a lot of merit over making them a permanent addition to the unit.

Obviously it's not going to provide the luxury comfort of a pro controller or anything, but for quick gaming on the go you can get two controllers out of the system at any time, and if you want to prop it up on its stand and detach them then you can have one in each hand (who needs the joycon grip anyways? This is like two wireless Wiimotes with analogs, way better than that goofy looking makeshift Joycon Pro controller, although I shouldn't knock it until I try it because it's probably really comfortable and works great).

I mean personally, I'm not going to be using them sideways in most scenarios unless I just happen to be around somebody else who wants to play a game in multiplayer, but it's nice that you have the option. I like options. And the Switch seems to be all about versatility and options.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Octane

iKhan wrote:

Octane wrote:

Nintensity This is actually how you hold an individual Joy-Con, the trigger is located on the lower right (lower left for the left Joy-Con). You can technically still access the button, but it's not comfortable at all:

Untitled

People are so picky about controller comfort these days. People used to play with a completely non ergonomic NES controller or the janky Atari Joystick. Nowadays if a controller isn't perfectly contoured people throw a fit.

Because that's exactly what I was doing, right? Read again. I was talking about the trigger, it's located on the lower right corner, it can't be used as a trigger anymore. Unless you want to argue otherwise..

Octane

Henmii

I probably never use the joy-cons seperately, unless its needed for some Wiimote-like stuff. However, its cool that you only need one device for 2-player gameplay. I also like that I basically only need one device for my handheld and console Nintendo-fix. I guess I will mostly play on the tablet, with the joy-cons connected.

I am a bit worried though about 2D/isometric games. I mean Zelda: Will that stay 3D forever? 3D Zelda's are great, but I surely wouldn't say no to a high-end 2D Zelda someday. Hopefully we get both!

I am also a bit worried about Memory. Everything is download and updates nowadays. Does the device have a strong harddrive? What about very big sd-cards (more then 64 gb, perhaps?)? That's VERY important!

Henmii

SNG_Official

I love how it looks so sleak and slim but i think i am going to pick up the pro controller for at home because i think it would be more comfortable.

SNG_Official

SuperLuigiTime

SNG_Official wrote:

I love how it looks so sleak and slim but i think i am going to pick up the pro controller for at home because i think it would be more comfortable.

Me too, but I like the Joy Con concept. Looking at pictures/video they seem like they could be uncomfortable because of how small they are, but at the same time it's nearly impossible to know that for sure until you actually hold one or both in your hands for yourself.

SuperLuigiTime

Switch Friend Code: SW-2814-0794-4500 | 3DS Friend Code: 0619-6949-4255 | Nintendo Network ID: tavorestye92

Araquanid

Octane wrote:

Untitled

Its less comfortable when you take that image and imagine using the pro controller.

Would kinda suck if you can't use pro controllers for certain games. I think I'm going strictly pro cause I can see day 1 I'll play around with the joy cons and lose one of them..

Bad enough the wii u controller wasn't replacable, but if these aren't there's 3 things you have to worry about losing. Smaller ones too...

Although I can't see how the joy cons themselves wouldn't be replacable.. imagine going to a party like in the trailer (who's really going to do that?) and mixing each other's up.

Edited on by Araquanid

3DS FC: 0774-5098-1425
Pokemon Sun IGN: Joe
My Shinies
(User name changed in November 2016, MegaBeedrill)

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

Bolt_Strike

I could easily see the Switch accommodating VR down the line. They could sell a pair of VR goggles for it and have you insert the screen in them and play with the Joy-Cons.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Octane

@Bolt_Strike That's 720p screen though.. It's absolutely fine for regular use, but strapped to your face you're counting pixels.

Octane

Stefky

The way people are holding the joy cons when they are split apart as micro multiplayer pads, it suggests that there are a couple of shoulder buttons on the top/inside as well.

Stefky

Peek-a-boo

I knew it was going to be small, but not this small!

Untitled

Good luck to those who have lumberjack hands or chubby fingers...

Peek-a-boo

ThainEshKelch

...Or just regular adult hands.

ThainEshKelch

Therad

The joycons are for gaming in a pinch, not to be super-ergonomical. I think most won't use them in that way, but rather have them docked on the go.

Therad

Sorry, this topic has been locked.