Forums

Topic: Is the Switch's Second Year a Disappointment for you?

Posts 141 to 160 of 206

Trajan

Bunch of good games have come out.

I just hope Nintendo isn't trying to become a portable PS3. The ports are a bonus, not a feature.

I also haven't gotten any indie games. Idk they seem cheap to me. Plus a lot of it is shovelware. I wish they they focus on quality and not quantity.

Sakurai: Which is why I think we should forget about console wars and focus on what’s really important: enjoying the games themselves.

"If we did this (mobile games), Nintendo would cease to be Nintendo." - Iwata

FaeKnight

The problem with Indie games is that literally anyone can make one. The tools are readily available, and often don't require much skill to use. And because anyone can make an indie game, a great number of people do. But most of them aren't programmers or experienced game designers. Neither do they know anything about art and how to create their own game assets. This leads to the glut of shovelware that drowns out the few good indie games. And there's few way to police it. Console manufacturers want to promote indie games, but with so many being submitted it's hard to filter the good from the bad while still appearing to encourage the Indie scene.

A similar thing happened with the Atari 2600. There was a glut of people publishing games who had no idea how to make a good game. This flooded the console with games, but most weren't very good. Leading to the big industry crash of the early 80's.

So, what criteria do you set to filter out the shovelware? Does it have to be 3d graphics? That'll let through a lot of shovelware made using Unity, while blocking very well done and fun games using retro art styles. How about excluding games with hand drawn game assets? That'll exclude good games too while allowing shovelware through. Only 16 bit style pixel art is allowed? But how much shovelware uses that art style?

You could filter them by having someone actually play every submitted game. But that too has it's issues. How much time do you give any given game to impress? And what criteria are you going to enforce? But then you have to consider that the public absolutely adores some games while despising others, and there's no seeming rhyme or reason. Why do people love WarioWare, but hate indie games with similar mechanics? Why is Minecraft huge, while another survival and crafting game flops?

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

Boshar

No.

I have a backlog of games thats only getting larger. The myriad of games and genres that are released each week is stunning and it includes the best of the Indy games, great JRPGs and beautiful rereleases that can now be played on the go. I have a hard time to just not buy it all on release.

Boshar

3DS Friend Code: 5112-3401-8648 | Nintendo Network ID: HarryB

Gameplay_Matters

Hmm, a bit, yes. I am very salty about the lack of Virtual Console. I completely misunderstood when Nintendo said it won't be available at launch. I assumed I could eventually repurchase my game collection of old and use the Switch as perfect SNES local multiplayer madness on two tiny joy-cons. When there will be a hardware revision, I will absolutely get that and hack the old Switch to load some roms. Sorry, Nintendo!

The Switch nonetheless has absolutely great games and it's mostly Indie titles pulling me back into quick gaming sessions between the few big Nintendo releases. So it was a good purchase overall.

Gameplay_Matters

LaVelle

@Switchcraft It probably sounds extremely foolish but I am also pretty irritated by the fact that Nintendo never made a Virtual Console available. After they let us use discounts to repurchase games from Wii to Wii U I finally decided to start building a virtual collection of some of my favourite classics as was confident that I'd be able to carry them over to future consoles [eventually]. There is a limit to how many times I'm willing to buy Super Mario Bros. and I'm not expecting anything more than a small handful of NES and SNES games to be drip-fed once their subscription service goes live. I was really hoping we'd have got to Gamecube in VC releases by now.

LaVelle

Vriess

@LaVelle
Agreed. Peeeeeeed off!!!! I want the classics THAT I PAID FOR ALREADY!!!!.... NOW!!!!!

Vriess

Nintendo Network ID: kcvriess

superguy123

in terms of games, i feel like this year is sightly better than last year

superguy123

FaeKnight

Vriess wrote:

@LaVelle
Agreed. Peeeeeeed off!!!! I want the classics THAT I PAID FOR ALREADY!!!!.... NOW!!!!!

Uhm, correct me if I'm wrong... But don't you already have them on the older console that you bought them on? In which case, you do hae "the classics that you paid for already".

The release of the Switch didn't remove your games library from your Wii or Wii U.

FaeKnight

JasmineDragon

FaeKnight wrote:

Vriess wrote:

@LaVelle

Uhm, correct me if I'm wrong... But don't you already have them on the older console that you bought them on? In which case, you do hae "the classics that you paid for already".

The release of the Switch didn't remove your games library from your Wii or Wii U.

You need to stop using so much logic and making sensible arguments. This is the Internet, we don't hold with that kind of thing around here.

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

Agriculture

JasmineDragon wrote:

FaeKnight wrote:

Vriess wrote:

@LaVelle

You need to stop using so much logic and making sensible arguments. This is the Internet, we don't hold with that kind of thing around here.

It depends on what the competition does. Microsoft are working to get backwards compatibility to the Xbox One. If we start seeing other systems carry over game purchases over generations while Nintendo requires you to re-buy them, then most consumers won't approve.

Also, most people aren't collectors and it's common for people to get rid of old consoles. And even if you are a collector that keeps all of your systems, eventually they'll break down and you won't be able to get a new one.

Agriculture

Agriculture

JasmineDragon wrote:

Where I disagree with Agriculture is the idea that being too complicated for mainstream success automatically makes the game bad. There's nothing wrong with a game aiming for more of a niche audience, being complicated and having multiple systems to learn.

That was more a matter of how many mainstream games have been released. I just thought it maybe wasn't the best idea to have such a niche game be the big story driven game of 2018. Overall I just want the Switch to be a mainstream success, like Nintendos consoles of the past. A complicated game that is tutorialised well can of course be great.

Agriculture

FaeKnight

Agriculture wrote:

JasmineDragon wrote:

Where I disagree with Agriculture is the idea that being too complicated for mainstream success automatically makes the game bad. There's nothing wrong with a game aiming for more of a niche audience, being complicated and having multiple systems to learn.

That was more a matter of how many mainstream games have been released. I just thought it maybe wasn't the best idea to have such a niche game be the big story driven game of 2018. Overall I just want the Switch to be a mainstream success, like Nintendos consoles of the past. A complicated game that is tutorialised well can of course be great.

What about those people who like complex games, and think that the "mainstream" games with their overly simplified and streamlined controls are horrible? You'd deny them a game that fits their tastes just because you want the Switch to only have games aimed at the lowest common denominator?

I am enjoying Mario+Rabbids. It's a hilariously fun game. But X-Com is a better strategy game. As is Hard West. Both of which are brutally hard games, and very much a niche game.

FaeKnight

JasmineDragon

@FaeKnight X-COM on Switch is one of my fondest dreams.

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

FaeKnight

That would be amazing. I haven't been able to devote anywhere near enough time to X-Com. Too many 80+ hour games I'm working on.

FaeKnight

SwitchForce

Magician wrote:

I didn't expect Nintendo to continue pumping out quality games in 2018 as they did in 2017. 2017 was a culmination of effort from Nintendo consolidating their portable and console divisions back in 2015. So it was unrealistic to expect that level of production year over year. However, due to the slow first half of 2018, I expect Nintendo to be fully loaded for 2019.

Must need to get out of the box don't we. There are enough quality games in 2018 you just need to open your horizon here and not just be cherry picking. NSW and games are bonified sellers for NSW. It's just how you want to skew the years to match how you think it is going. NSW games for all ages and genre and that is it's something the other two can't seem to match they are going for AAA games but failed to miss the other half that wants games. Nintendo has done something the only the Wii can stand next to and that is Innovations and taking risk when other were rooting for NSW(NX) failures. So now Developers are taking more interest in 2018 and more are coming aboard rightly so because of it's appeal and that it can DOCK and be Portable must to the ire of xbox and ps4. Vita was good but Sony did a number on it to kill it and has only themselves to blame for it.

Edited on by SwitchForce

SwitchForce

Trajan

@Agriculture. NES classic kind of defeats the purpose, no?

Also, if your old console breaks down, you can always get it fixed. If the person is from the disposable generation, then they likely arent interested in these games anyway.

I'd like to see Wii, Wii U level games on the service, buy we know that won't happen. So $20 for backing up saves, playing Splatoon 2, and using your own internet. That we know of for now.

Sakurai: Which is why I think we should forget about console wars and focus on what’s really important: enjoying the games themselves.

"If we did this (mobile games), Nintendo would cease to be Nintendo." - Iwata

FaeKnight

The NES Classic's game list is rather static. While Nintendo says they will be adding to the list of games available via Nintendo Online subscription over time. And who knows, we may get some of the good (note I didn't say great) platformers and other game types that didn't make it onto the NES Classic due to them not being "fan favorites". I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd always thought Wolverine on the NES was a fun game. Brutally difficult, of course. But fun.

FaeKnight

Gameplay_Matters

ReaderRagfish wrote:

@JasmineDragon Plot twist: What if all the people saying they want to buy old games rather than access them from a Netflix style service are undercover Nintendo employees trying to convince people that it's worth it to pay four times for the same game?

I'd gladly pay 5 €/month for the next 30 years to access the complete library released on older Nintendo consoles. But what you refer to as "Netflix style" is just bread crumbs with not a single game that is of interest to me.

Gameplay_Matters

Agriculture

Trajan wrote:

@Agriculture. NES classic kind of defeats the purpose, no?

Also, if your old console breaks down, you can always get it fixed. If the person is from the disposable generation, then they likely arent interested in these games anyway.

I'd like to see Wii, Wii U level games on the service, buy we know that won't happen. So $20 for backing up saves, playing Splatoon 2, and using your own internet. That we know of for now.

iPhone users are a pretty solid example of what you call the disposable generation, and they generally react poorly when a new iPhone doesn't support an app they've purchased. I don't expect the Wii and WiiU to be made compatible with the Switch, but I would be disappointed if a next generation Nintendo console didn't have full support for both physical and digital Switch games.

Agriculture

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.