Forums

Topic: Hopes for 2021

Posts 61 to 80 of 102

Ralizah

I think an updated re-release of Xenoblade X is probably next on the docket.

I imagine Xenoblade 3 will be saved for Nintendo's Switch successor.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Lindhardt

Oh, I also hope we get more news on Monolith's new IP.

Favorite Games:
1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Portal 2
3. Hollow Knight
4. Fallout 4
5. Persona 4: Golden

Bolt_Strike

I would like to see all of the following by the end of 2022:

-BotW2
-Mario Odyssey 2
-Mario Kart 9
-2D Metroid
-3D Kirby
-Metroid Prime Trilogy

So any 3 or 4 of those would be good, with the last 2 or 3 happening in 2022.

Also remakes of Pokemon Diamond/Pearl. It's time for this to finally happen.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

TheFrenchiestFry

@Bolt_Strike You've got quite the pipe dream of a list lmao

I'd be happy if ONE of those things happened next year

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

kkslider5552000

Outside of Mario Kart 9, I'm decently certain all of those will happen by the end of 2022 also.

Honestly they're not really a stretch, and the only reason I'm thinking Mario Kart 9 won't happen soon-ish is because they'll want to save it for an early Switch 2 game.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Anti-Matter

Hope for 2021:
1. Vaccine to combat Covid-19
2. More indie games get physical release
3. Dance Dance Revolution on console again.

Anti-Matter

Kanbei

1) A new Virtua Fighter game
2) Wargroove 2 announced
3) Dragon Quest XII is officially announced
4) Xenoblade Chronicles X Definitive Edition for Switch
5) Personal goal: Continue to attack my backlog of JRPGs

Edited on by Kanbei

Nintendo ID: BeeBindy
Switch Friend Code:
SW-1496-0942-9208
Discord: BeeBindy #7636

Bolt_Strike

@TheFrenchiestFry Well like I said, this is a 2 year list. That much in 2 years should be perfectly reasonable because all of those IPs haven't released in 3 or 4 years, so they should be ready for new entries soon. I mean, look at their predecessors:

-BotW: 2017
-Odyssey: 2017
-Mario Kart: 2017
-2D Metroid: 2017
-Kirby: 2018
-Pokemon: Releases yearly

And we already know that Prime Trilogy is basically done, they're probably just saving it to market Prime 4. And since Prime 4 will probably release 2022/2023, releasing Prime Trilogy in 2021/2022 as a teaser would make sense.

So yeah, this list isn't a pipe dream. This is actually fairly reasonable considering Nintendo's development patterns, and from what we know and expect from them, we're almost guaranteed at least 3 of these.

@kkslider5552000 Mario Kart is one of those games that's going to sell no matter when and where they release it, and they probably have tons of ideas on what to do for an entry built from the ground up on the Switch to the point where they'd consider it worth it to release an original game. There's no real sense in waiting, especially when the next console is nowhere near ready.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Grumblevolcano

@Bolt_Strike Nintendo did say at the May 2020 investor meeting that the Switch was barely at the halfway point so it's reasonable to think the Switch's successor will launch around March 2023.

Follows 3DS too:

• March 2011 - 3DS/March 2017 - Switch
  • October 2013 - 2DS/September 2019 - Switch Lite
  • February 2015 - New 3DS/Early 2021 - Rumoured new Switch revision
  • March 2017 - Switch releases/Early 2023 - Switch successor launches

So I'd guess Mario Kart 9 launches early 2023 exclusively for the Switch's successor.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

SmartNickname

games I'd like to see on the Switch:

Trails of cold steel 1 and 2 (never played them before, they will come out in Japan)
Super Mario Galaxy 2
2D Metroid or the Prime Trilogy
Advance Wars (dead IP but they could port the old games)
More Gamecube remastered titles
Tony Hawk, the one that came out recently

SmartNickname

Bolt_Strike

@Grumblevolcano Yeah, no way in hell Nintendo is waiting 6 years to release the next main entry in this series, doubly so when the last main entry was a port. That would be the longest drought in series history, and by far the longest in recent history where they've regularly released 3 years like clockwork for the last 15 years.

Mario Kart 9 in 2021/2022 and Mario Kart 10 in 2024/2025. There's no reason whatsoever why Mario Kart 9 needs to be reserved for the successor's launch.

Bolt_Strike

Lindhardt

@Bolt_Strike If Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is selling so well, why would they put the effort into making a new one? Mario Kart has always been a one-per-system game, so I don't see why Nintendo would change that now.

Favorite Games:
1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Portal 2
3. Hollow Knight
4. Fallout 4

rockodoodle

Bolt_Strike wrote:

@Grumblevolcano Yeah, no way in hell Nintendo is waiting 6 years to release the next main entry in this series, doubly so when the last main entry was a port. That would be the longest drought in series history, and by far the longest in recent history where they've regularly released 3 years like clockwork for the last 15 years.

Mario Kart 9 in 2021/2022 and Mario Kart 10 in 2024/2025. There's no reason whatsoever why Mario Kart 9 needs to be reserved for the successor's launch.

I think that Mk Tour and MK live are really more marketing tools for a big launch for MK9. This could be an absolutely huge seller, both with software and systems.

rockodoodle

Maaryotyme

I can’t see another mariokart coming on switch. We did just get mario kart live home circuit and last year that mobile mariokart game.

Maaryotyme

Grumblevolcano

@Bolt_Strike Some big franchises have already passed that milestone without a new game like 2D Mario (if you count Mario Maker separately) and 2D Zelda (if you count Triforce Heroes separately).

Honestly I could even see a situation where we already know the big new 1st party Switch games for the rest of its lifespan with the gaps filled in with old games (Wii U ports, Wii HD remasters, Pokemon remakes, collections, etc.) and smaller games.

In that situation, I think Nintendo would ditch general Directs completely.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Bolt_Strike

@Lindhardt If they only wanted Mario Kart per console, then why would they waste their time with a port instead of porting the tracks like usual? And then why would they make Home Circuit, violating the "one per console" rule? Nintendo wants to make money, yes, but they're not this rigidly formulaic. Don't overthink the "one per console" pattern. It's not written in stone anywhere and they can abandon it anytime they think they can make another one. If they have an idea that they think people will like, they'll go for it. And do you really think they have no idea how the Switch can make Mario Kart 9 a new and unique experience? They probably have something they can do with Mario Kart on Switch and it'll sell any time they decide to release it because it's Mario Kart and people will buy it.

@Grumblevolcano 2D Zelda hasn't released on a regular basis since the GBA, and Mario Maker does not count separately since it's still a 2D Mario platformer. None of the higher selling IPs disappear for this long, they have some sort of main series game every 3 or 4 years. It may take a different form, as is the case for Mario Maker for 2D Mario or trading off between linear and sandbox games for 3D Mario, but they always have some manner of main series entry.

And no more new entries besides the ones we know? If Nintendo's serious about this being halfway through the Switch's lifespan, they know they can't get away with that. Switch sales will plummet if they don't. For Nintendo to accomplish that, they'll need a strong lineup of games in 2021/2022 to give the Switch a second wind, much like what some of the 2010/2011 games did for the Wii (stuff like Galaxy 2, Skyward Sword, DKCR, Kirby's Return to Dreamland, etc.).

Bolt_Strike

I-U

I would like to see Prime 4 to determine whether or not I would want to buy the game, and I do hope that it is released by November 2021. Breath of the Wild 2 then could make for a great Summer 2021 experience. Possibly some time next year see a trailer for the next new 3D Mario game which hopefully just tightens up on objectives (i.e. no ground pounding trash, kicking rocks, etc) and has an open design like Odyssey. A remaster of Xenoblade Chronicles X could be really amazing paired with the Switch's media features and play experience versatility, and confirm or disconfirm the Prime Trilogy early into next year. I would like MPT before April 2021 if it exists.

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

Lindhardt

@Bolt_Strike I'm sure they have ideas and I would love a new Mario Kart, but they aren't going to make a new Mario Kart for the same reason GTA an Skyrim keep getting ported: Tons of money for minimal effort. Unless 8 Deluxe sales start dropping hard, Nintendo isn't going to make a new one yet. Plus, Home Circuit is more of a toy or a spinoff than anything, and it reused 8's character models and music. I'm not saying I don't want a new one, but until 8 Deluxe stops getting in the top 10 best selling games consistently I'm not getting my hopes up.

Favorite Games:
1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Portal 2
3. Hollow Knight
4. Fallout 4

Bolt_Strike

@Lindhardt A new game takes several years to develop, they can't just base their release schedule on when the sales of the last game start to fall off. They have no idea what the sales of the last game are going to be like when the new one is ready for release. They would've had to have made a decision back in 2017 after Deluxe released whether or not to start working on a new game, and I would guess they didn't predict Deluxe would continue to sell this well years after its release, they probably expected sales would fall off and they would need an original Switch entry to provide a boost in sales. Plus again, it'll sell well because it's Mario Kart and Mario Kart always sells well. So most likely they already decided to start working on 9 for the Switch back in 2017 (I would guess they initially targeted a 2020 release but had to push it back because of COVID, so I think we'll probably see this in 2021 rather than 2022).

Bolt_Strike

kkslider5552000

I could see it happening.

But I dunno. There's a decent amount of notable game series where they clearly made the decision to not put out a new game this gen, and they had to have all been in the same position of deciding. GTA 5 is a go to example, being a last gen game that came out in the first year of next gen and never stopped selling. Though I don't think the Mario Kart team is spending 5 years on a game in the same genre as their most popular series, so its not quite the same either.

On top of that, it just feels almost inevitable that someone's gonna be working on some Switch game and it will end up also available on Switch 2 around launch, same day (Twilight Princess or BOTW), or maybe even turned into a Switch 2 exclusive (as what happened with Super Paper Mario and I think Mario + Rabbids).

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic