Forums

Topic: Gaming TVs, Soundbars, Headsets and Shelving

Posts 101 to 120 of 136

JaxonH

@Wavey84
You really like those Beyer Dynamics, huh. It's hard to know how much you'll like headphones until you try em. Guess that's why some ppl buy so many. Speaking of which, I got 4 new pairs in the last week alone. But it feels like each one has its distinct purpose...

560S: HiFi reference headphones
38X: go-to gaming headset
800S: high end gaming headphones
Clear MG: high end music headphones

Guess it's time to sell all the SteelSeries. I still have an itch to know what the Hifiman Arya sound like with those planar magnetics. Basically the 800S, Clears and Arya are the big 3 high end $1500 headphones. Having 2 out of 3 just feels so... incomplete lol. But those large oval earpads on the Arya seem like they extend to your jawbone. Not sure how to feel about that.

You get one life. I've been living like a cheap grinch for the last 15 years, never spending money on anything besides games. Getting close to 40 yrs old, working day in day out year after year. No fancy car or boat or any of that. I made like $80k investing in crypto recently and hadn't spent one cent of it to date. It's high time to enjoy something nice and buy some toys. Feels good to have something new and exciting for a change.

The future of hifi will certainly be wireless, with amp and dac built right into the ear cup. Once we have Bluetooth 6.0, Bluetooth 7.0 and 5G takes over. Higher bandwidths as standard. One day wired headphones will be a relic of the past. Or at least, constitute a much smaller share of the high end market.

PLAYING
NS: Warioware, Cruis'n Blast, Ni No Kuni 2
3DS: Metroid Samus Returns
Steam: Horizon Zero Dawn, Deathloop, Tales of Arise
PS5: Spiderman, Ghosts of Tsushima
MOST EXCITED FOR
NS: Metroid Dread, Monkey Ball, SMTV

Jesus is Lord.

JaxonH

@Wavey84
Is there benefit to disabling the auto brightness limiter?

I'm not really sure what that functionality even does. I'm guessing it caps how bright the TV can get?

I suppose that's good for longevity (I'd like to get 5 yrs from this tv) but perhaps good for Switch input if using Motion Pro. Hmm...

PLAYING
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Wavey84

@JaxonH
"ABL is a non-optional function of OLED. It's there to prevent both huge energy consumption and the OLED from overheating/driving individual pixels too hard and effectively being burned out prematurely."

This doesn't matter to me, because i upgrade my TV typically every 2 years haha.
The benefit though, is not having to deal with a big nose dive in brightness. You go from about 250nits(OLED Light 100) down to 140nits.

Dragon Ball Figtherz for example goes from being bright, beautiful and vibrant one moment, to dreary, dim and bleak the next once ABL kicks in. Quickly turning the TV off and then back on again restores the 245-250 nits but who in their right mind wants to constantly do that?

Edited on by Wavey84

Wavey84

Wavey84

@JaxonH
Who knows if we have one life or not. We all hope and prey that there's something else after we pass but nobody will ever know until our time comes, but then there's obviously a chance of not knowing if our mind/conscience is completely wiped out. If this was truly our only life and it was actually proven, like many i would be an absolute total wreck right now and probably would do things differently and nearly or completely drop some of my hobbies. It's bad enough that i've been dealing with this annoying Auto Immune disorder and High anxiety for the past 15 years. Not to mention the 2020's aren't exactly off to a good start. I find myself peeling away from politics and just trying to enjoy the things that i love doing. The last thing i want to be is a professional TV heckler that sits around with friends and bitc**s and complains about the world. The game is rigged and we're not part of the club in this corrupt rock we live on.

But ya, I just can't wrap my mind around nor accept not existing after my body eventually gives up. I used to be a lot more spiritual in my mid 20's, but my perspective has a changed(for the worse in most ways) and am fearing hitting the big 4-0 in 3 years and then another 10 until 50. good lord. Time is a ticken'.

But yes, I agree, in general life is too short to be a cheap skate. It's better to find a middle ground, indulge every now and then and enjoy the ride. Life is, after all meant to be enjoyed. I mean, as long as you're living within your means. But really, what good is having tons of cash in the bank when you're 80 years old and nearly dead. Can't take it with you. PS, I'm jealous of your Ambeo. lol

Anyways! yeah, i'm limiting myself to the DT770's simply because i dont want to deal with too much sound leak from a pair of open back head phones. i want one pair of headphones that does it all and for now the DT770's do the trick.

How long do you think it will be until a wireless 2.4ghz or Blurtooth 6.0 audiophile pair of headphones
will come to the market? And speaking of Crypto Currency. My cousins buddy has over 2 million dollars in BitCoin. If he pulls out now he's set for life! I can just see the guy waking up with a massive dragon ball Z grin on his face every morning. lol Lucky duck.

Edited on by Wavey84

Wavey84

JaxonH

@Wavey84
My bad, I should have said this natural life. As for life beyond, I am a firm believer in the Bible as the word of God. And having read it cover to cover several times over (even now, I read each night before bed), I can summarize as follows: God created man, who sinned against God (Romans 3:23 "All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God"), and we are all condemned for it (Romans 6:23 "The wages of sin is death"). The second death, or lake of fire, where there will be "darkness" and "weeping and gnashing of teeth" was not designed for man, but it is where we are all headed to pay the penalty of our crimes against God. The good news comes in the fact God planned this all along, and Jesus had already decided to die to pay our penalty before the world even existed. John 3:16- for God so loved the world he gave his only son, that whoever believes on him will not perish but have eternal life".

I encourage you to download the free YouVersion Bible app, and set the translation to NIV, which is also voiced for audio playback with a timer. Start in Matthew, Mark, Luke or John, the 4 gospels that begin the New Testament. Reading the Bible for yourself in a translation easy to understand is the single most important decision you'll ever make. You can be secure in the knowledge of eternal life through Jesus Christ, if you desire it.

If you seek truth honestly from your heart, you will surely find it. I believe the Bible beyond doubt, as it is a reliable collection of historical documents written by eyewitnesses during the lifetime of other eyewitnesses, who report supernatural events in fulfillment of specific prophecies and claim their writings are divine (rather than human) in origin.

Anyways, sounds like we're the exact same age- 37. And ya, you get it. I try not to indulge beyond measure, as the desire for wealth and being rich can be a trap. Moderation in all things. Maybe splurge every now and then. Just so long as it doesn't become a habit. It'll leave you broke and unfulfilled. You're so right- we came into this world with nothing, and we can be sure we'll leave it the same way.

If I had to guess, in 10 years we'll probably start seeing quality wireless headphones that start to solve all the problems. We're already seeing some now. Hifiman has Bluetooth Ananda, and Audeze has the Penrose. But it'll take some time to perfect it. I suspect that, in 10 years time, we'll have high grade wireless headphones that can play near lossless audio. But, that's just my speculation.

Sounds like your friend invested early. Good for him. I didn't get in until the March 2020 C19 selloff. But it was a great time to buy. Bitcoin was only $6k, Ethereum was $180, and Cardano was 4 cents. Now BTC is $50k, ETH is $4k, and ADA (Cardano) is $2.50. Absolutely insane returns. If you ever want to get in, I don't think it's too late. Nowadays I dollar cost average in each week. Alarm set for every Monday at 9am. I buy $20 BTC, $20 ETH and $20 ADA. No matter what the price. As long as the market goes up long term, you're set. It takes away the risk of jumping all in at the top before a selloff.

PLAYING
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

JaxonH

@Wavey84
Looks like it's happening already.

Lossless audio via Bluetooth coming in 2022 with aptX Lossless. Can transmit CD quality audio over Bluetooth. Obviously audio quality can go even higher than CD but still, being able to transmit that kind of quality over Bluetooth is quite a feat.

https://www.whathifi.com/news/qualcomm-says-aptx-lossless-can...

PLAYING
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

JaxonH

Here is the perfect setup to run headphones through a DAC that works for PC, PS5 and Switch.

Untitled

• Soundblaster G6 DAC/AMP ($150 shipped via Amazon JP or $190 shipped via Amazon US)
  • 4 to 4 port USB Switcher with remote ($25 via Amazon US)
  • USB-A to micro-USB cable

This DAC/AMP can drive anything. Literally anything. And it's the only one I've found that works on Switch, PS5 and PC. JDS Atom DAC+ and AMP+ do, but they're separate and require separate firmwares for each system, so they work on all 3, but not simultaneously.

Also am using the Fiio EK10 to drive cans from my phone. Helm Bolt dongle DAC and Hidizs S9 Pro dongle DAC (more power, but more battery drain) are great for portability, but to just plug in on the couch from phone and get enough power to sound better, this is perfect. Just set phone on wireless charger and run a USB-C male to USB-A female dongle into phone, with a USB-A male to micro-USB male cable into the DAC.

Untitled

Here's the Hifiman Arya [July 2021 revision with Stealth Magnets like their $3500 HE1000-se model, increased sensitivity from 90 dB to 94 dB and decreased ohms from 35 to 32] at the top. Sennheider 800S on bottom left. Focal Clear MG on bottom right. Had to buy a headband cover to prevent stains on the cushion over time.

Untitled

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

NintendoDad

Ok . . . can my old 21+ year old Surround Sound System (JVC RX-6100V) be able to handle 5.1 surround sound from our Nintendo Switch?

It is really old. On the unit it says it does Linear PCM, Dolby Digital and DTS.

• The issues is that the JVC Amplifier only has a coaxial and optical digital input. (No HDMI input.)
  • The coaxial input I have our DVD player hooked up to it.
  • The optical input I have it hooked up to the optical out from the LCD TV that we play our Switch on.
  • Our Nintendo Switch is hooked up to the LCD TV with HDMI.
  • On the TV I have the digital sound as "Passthru", not "PCM".
  • And with this configuration the JVC Amplifier picks up Linear PCM and outputs 2 channel digital from the Nintendo Switch.

Questions:
1) What is a standard (or cheap) game that for sure has surround sound on Nintendo Switch so I can make sure there is surround sound data to try to send through as I test the set-up?
2) Would one of those HDMI to optical converters be able to extract the surround sound data from the Switch's HDMI output and convert into something my 21+ year old JVC Amplifier would understand via. optical TOSLINK?
3) Is there anything I am doing wrong with the set-up (above) that would prevent it from working?

NOTE: We had the surround sound system since new — 21 years LOL. Got it when DVD players were just coming out. But we got tired of all the wires in the TV room, so we got a simple sound bar for the TV room, and this surround sound system got moved to the game room. It definitely sounds better playing games on the surround sound system (even if only in analog 2 channel) than playing sound through the TV. What got this started is I had an optical cable lying around, so I hooked it up between the TV and the JVC Amplifier. Got 2 channel PCM to work from the Nintendo Switch. And . . . now wondering if that is the end of the road, or if I can actually get surround sound to work. LOL.

Any help greatly appreciated!

NintendoDad

JaxonH

@NintendoDad
You don't need a game. On your Switch, go into the Settings > TV Settings > TV Sound and select Surround Sound. It will then ask to test the surround with 6 fuzz noises that come from center, left, right, side left, side right, and subwoofer.

Make sure you don't hear just two sounds. That means you're only getting 2 channel stereo. And make sure it's not just 6 sounds coming from the same two speakers. That's surround that's only playing through two speakers. Make sure all 6 sounds come from 6 separate speakers.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

JaxonH

@NintendoDad
Keep in mind, I couldn't get surround to work with TV pass-through (I use eARC from TV to soundbar which works for PS5 and PC but not Switch or Wii U). I had to run HDMI directly into the soundbar and pass the video to the TV via eARC (since eARC is bi-directional).

But, you never know. Switch is temperamental with surround so it just depends on the system and the TV. You very well may get it to work. Worth a shot, anyways. And if not, you can always buy an HDMI audio extractor to splice the audio out of the HDMI running to TV and send it directly into the optical. That would almost certainly work. And they're cheap. Like $40 on Amazon for an easy solution. Just make sure it has optical out on the extractor.

PLAYING
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

NintendoDad

@JaxonH,

+1 — Thanks!

Oh, yeah. I forgot about that. But, yes, as I was hooking all this up, I went through the Switch setup menu and I stumbled across that test. When I forced surround sound on, I only heard the sound twice. But when I did auto, I heard it 6 times, but only through the front speakers. And . . . on my JVC Amplifier, it only shows the front 2 speakers being used.

So along the path it is dropping down to only 2 channels.

Also, I was thinking about it. RE: HDMI extractor. Would I be better off going from HDMI to coaxial (instead of optical)? Would that make a better chance of getting surround sound to the JVC Amplifier?

Or is the 21+ year old amplifier just too old and won't understand the surround sound coming out of the Switch? Or can the extractor downgrade the surround sound to something my old JVC Amplifier would understand?

NintendoDad

JaxonH

@NintendoDad
It's hard to say. I don't know much about old tech, but I do know Switch outputs surround as PCM 5.1, so theoretically it should receive the signal. I don't think it's your soundbar that's the issue but rather, Switch being finnicky with surround. I have a 2021 TV with 4 HDMI 2.1 ports and eARC, and a high end sound bar with HDMI 2.0 ports and eARC, and even still I had to route audio directly to the soundbar to get it to work. I haven't read a single report of someone getting pass through to work for Switch through a TV.

But I do know plenty of ppl use audio extractors for Switch. Maybe get one with coaxial and optical outs (if such an extractor exists) and try each. I don't think it would make a difference tbh. Optical should work fine. I'm convinced it's just the Switch not working with pass through. Extract and send directly to soundbar and you should be 100%

PLAYING
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

JaxonH

@NintendoDad
Here's one that's full 4k with multiple HDMI inputs so you could run multiple systems into it and splice the audio out via Optical. Only $25 too, and I've read at least one report of someone successfully using it with Switch.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JDGBBXF

And here's another one reported to work with Switch for $50 that has both Optical and Coaxial out.

https://smile.amazon.com/Monoprice-Blackbird-Switch-Toslink-E...

I'd maybe order both, and see which one works well, then return the other. You never know with different surround systems and system updates, etc whether something will still work today.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

NintendoDad

@JaxonH

Ok. So I ordered some sort of extractor.

Has HDMI IN / OUT, coaxial out, optical out, 3.5mm stereo out and a switch to switch between 2 channel, 5.1 channel and passthru. But . . . no HDMI Input switching.

There's a couple more uses I can get out of this, so I figured, OK, let's try this.

Hopefully it actually works. LOL.

But . . . if my HDMI TV is cutting the digital audio data down to 2 channels, or if the optical connector (with its limited bandwidth) is the culprit, then hopefully this adapter can help out.

1st by-pass the TV. And then try out both optical and coaxial into the surround sound amplifier.

But even if I don't get surround sound from the Switch, I still wanted to try to see if I could get surround sound from the HDMI connector going from my daughter's gaming PC to the surround sound system. We play Netflix and Disney+ through her PC to the TV / surround sound system. Netflix is supposed to have Dolby Digital Plus. So I am wondering if I can get that to work with my surround sound system.

And worst case scenario . . . if neither of those work, I'm going to use it to extract audio from the HDMI signal from my work PC. The audio out port doesn't work on my computer. The monitor's speakers aren't loud enough. And there is no 3.5mm out from the monitor. LOL. So worst case scenario is I get louder audio on my work computer.

Thanks for your help.

It will be interesting if this works! LOL.

NintendoDad

JaxonH

@NintendoDad
Wow, hope it works! I think it will. It should, anyways. I watch Netflix and some shows have 5.1 surround, while others have Dolby Atmos. Unfortunately, you'll never be able to transmit Atmos without a TV or soundbar with eARC HDMI inputs. Too data heavy for optical. Best you'll get is 5.1 so make sure whatever show you're watching, you set it to English (5.1) in the show settings. When you click on the show and play it, whenever you pause you can toggle through the different options.

PLAYING
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

NintendoDad

@JaxonH

I hear you on Dolby Atmos.

Thanks again for the help. I was reading about being able to change audio in Netflix, but hadn't gotten that far to figure that out yet. LOL.

For me, I think this is mostly an exercise to see how much I can squeeze out of this old (21+ year old) surround sound system.

If it is capable of doing surround from the Switch, and I didn't give it a go, I'd be kicking myself down the road. LOL.

Same thing with playing Netflix and Disney+ as well.

If it doesn't work, the 2 channel digital sound from the Switch is more than enough to play games with. And the haptic feedback of the controllers adds another dimension to playing as well. Almost like having .1 (subwoofers) in your hands.

NintendoDad

JaxonH

@NintendoDad
For sure. And, you can always buy a new soundbar or even headphones if your budget allows. They both sound good. Tbh though, of all the video game platforms, I think headphones are best, since they all have virtual surround options using HRTF tech to simulate how you would hear objects at different positions and elevations... except Switch, of course. For Switch, I think 5.1 surround (for the games that support it anyways- not all do) is just as good as headphones.

PLAYING
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Joeynator3000

So...the Switch has a bluetooth update. My 5.1 sound bar has bluetooth...no idea when I'll mess with this, but...will it work? Or are we still screwed? lol

EDIT: Yeah, saw Jaxon's reply on the article...so this update is pointless...as usual.

Edited on by Joeynator3000

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/joeynator3001

JaxonH

@Joeynator3000
I wouldn’t say it’s pointless. A lot of people apparently like it. I think the lag is unbearable and the quality is about as subpar as audio can get. But if it makes other people happy what’s the harm.

If you want surround just get an audio extractor like that other guy did. Run it into your soundbar directly. Or, skip the surround for gaming and get high quality wired headphones with a DAC/AMP to drive them.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Joeynator3000

An extractor/converter doesn't work, plugging it in directly requires more HDMI cables and an splitter for everything to work, and even then the audio cuts out whenever the speakers detect silence for a split second...and takes another second for the audio to activate again, it's highly annoying. lol

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/joeynator3001

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic