Forums

Topic: Gaming TVs, Soundbars, Headsets and Shelving

Posts 181 to 186 of 186

Ryu_Niiyama

Alright I caved. Went ahead and bought the LG C2 and got a bigger one than planned (55") after going to BB and seeing them in person. Since the bezel of my old LG makes it about the same size (Old school LED with that thick bezel) it's an even wash. I don't have spacing yet. So I won't get it for another two weeks.

Bought an mclassic as well.

Edit got my TV hooked up. I’m impressed! I played a little Like a Dragon on it (my switch pro con is charging) and considering I haven’t used a TV in 4 years this was a nice change of pace. Work is still running me ragged so I don’t think I will get to play much.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

NintendoDad

"Retro" Gaming TV.

Ok.

I totally just went the other way. LOL.

I just hooked up our Switch to our 23-year-old 27" CRT (Tube) TV with an HDMI2AV adapter. LOL.

Let's just say . . . when trying out NSO SNES, I did not need to use the CRT filter.

Works ok. But cuts off all sides of the image a bit. And I am sure it is stretching it to fill the screen better.

Just goofing around with it though. LOL.

I had the Tube TV left over from our surround sound system. I had a Wii hooked up to it for our kids to play Just Dance on it with friends.

But swapping up the layout of our basement so this Tube TV got moved to where I like to watch shows so I was trying to figure out how to watch Netflix on it. So I got a cheap HDMI2AV adapter and it works great with one of our Roku Express 4K dongles.

But since I got the HDMI2AV adapter I was just goofing around seeing if the Switch would work through the CRT TV.

It is one way to get a bit of the retro feel playing NES and SNES games through NSO!

For that matter . . . this is the TV we used with our Game Cube, Wii and Wii U. So now it has been hooked up to our Switch! So 4 generations of Nintendo Consoles!

NintendoDad

JaxonH

Wasn't sure where to make this post, but this thread seems most appropriate.

NintendoLife recently reviewed a pair of XR Glasses (Extended Reality, a form of Augmented Reality) from Viture.

There's also a review from ThePhawx and BeatEmUps

It's main use case for gaming is outputting the display of whatever you connect, be it a Nintendo Switch, Steamdeck, mobile phone, PS5, Xbox, PC, etc.

It has a small OLED screen for each eyepiece with mirrors that project the image in front of you, so it appears as if you're watching a massive screen in front of you. About 120" screen 10 feet away, or a 24" screen 2 feet away, or a 60" screen 5 feet away. I checked the distance I sit from my TV and it was 80 inches. So it's the equivalent of me watching an 80" TV at that distance. Basically the screen size equivalency is 1" per 1" distance. So 10 feet (120") is like a 120" TV. Easy enough to remember.

Anyways, I was impressed. This is such a cool way to game, and you can use them anywhere. They even partnered with Harmon for built in speakers, and the glasses don't need to be charged as they run on the power of whatever plugs into them.

The lens are translucent so you can still see through the projected image a bit, and you can see around the image, but they can change their transparency from 5% to 80%, and there's an optional magnetic cover to black everything out if you want.

I had to order a set. They'll be shipping in May.

But I started doing research and it seems there's other alternatives. Some better than others when it comes to Switch gaming.

See, to connect Switch it needs to output as docked. So Viture sells a portable battery/dock for your Switch to connect to, which then connects to the glasses. It more than doubles Switch battery life as it's a 13,000 mAh battery. Other alternatives like Nreal Air require a similar separate dongle but have way less battery and only accept HDMI, meaning you need to buy a 3rd party Switch dock dongle that converts USB-C to HDMI out, and then connect that to the little battery powered adapter. Not the best solution.

But Rokid Air has a much more streamlined solution. Instrad of relying on batteries they sell a tiny little USB-C to dual USB-C dongle for Switch that makes the system think it's docked. Not only that, it has an extra USB-C port to charge the Switch while it's outputting to the glasses. So not as portable as the Viture's battery dock solution but far easier and streamlined.

So I ordered a pair of those also. I wanna see which one's better for Switch gaming. For Steamdeck, both of them are super simple as you can connect the Steamdeck directly to the glasses.

Viture One XR Glasses
Untitled

Rokid Air AR Glasses
Untitled

I'm really not into VR, as I hate the heavy headsets and multiple thick cables and running separate games. But AR/XR... this I can dig. A lightweight pair of glasses that could pass as a normal pair of sunglasses, that actually let's me play normal games on a big OLED screen in front of me without carrying a massive TV with me everywhere I go... that's hype.

I'm even more excited for this new waveband technology from Lumus that's going to revolutionize AR glasses, as it finally gets the form factor down slim enough to be the same size as a normal pair of glasses. They're still working on the tech but say it'll be hitting the market in consumer grade products in 2024 (though it could slip to 2025)

Lumus AR Glasses coming 2024-2025
Untitled

What I really love is how on the Viture, everything is magnetic. The cord magnetically snaps onto the glasses, the black out cover magnetically snaps on and off, and if you wear glasses, they've partnered with prescription lens companies to make them for your rx and that also magnetically snaps inside so you don't need to wear glasses with them. It's built in.

Magnetic Prescription Lens
Untitled

Magnetic Lens Cover
Untitled

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

Sennheiser 800S Headphones on sale for $1199 (MSRP $1800). The best gaming headphones money can buy, bar none.

https://www.adorama.com/se506911.html?sdtid=16504564&emai...

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ryu_Niiyama

Welp since the heat and spiders destroyed my last receiver, I finally ordered a replacement. Onkyo TX-NR7100 just showed up on my doorstep. Will be spending the day hooking everything up. Not sure if I have enough speaker wire though.

Next up is a good pair of bluetooth headphones and a good pair of wired headphones. Will probably wait another year. Focused on other things now.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

NintendoDad

@Ryu_Niiyama,

Sounds like you had a fun day! LOL.

Me . . . I've gone the other way, again.

I packaged up our old 23-year-old surround sound system and took it to my dad's.

His hearing is going, so he couldn't hear the portable CD / Tape players that he had.

So I figured that our surround sound system with the big speakers would be his best chance to keep listening to music. It even had a record player so he can listen to his collection of records now!

For sound on our Switch . . . it's just TV speakers in the game room, and a cheap Philips sound bar in the rec' room.

Oh, yeah . . . in the rec' room, I finally got rid of our old 27" tube TV. (I gave it to my nephew.) We ended up getting Nanny's old 42" Plasma TV, because the speakers failed on it. So we helped her by swapping in our completely working 49" TV for her. 'hence the Philips sound bar in the rec' room.

The 42" Plasma works fine enough for gaming and the Roku.

The Philips sound bar wouldn't connect to the old Panasonic TV through HDMI, so I just used an optical cable. But that means turning on the sound bar separately. And if you pause a movie too long, the sound bar would turn itself off. Kinda a pain for a set-up, but it works. LOL.

Take care & Happy Audiophiling!

NintendoDad

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic