Forums

Topic: Games you recently DROPPED

Posts 281 to 300 of 344

xeofate

@Andee That does sound like a chore. I remembering one of the first games to introduce Quality of Life options was Bravely Default where you could speed up battles. I still dropped that one though. Games like Dragon Quest where you can see the enemies walking around and can choose to encounter them are an improvement but they still require quite a bit of grinding to level up. You could see the enemies in Yakuza also but a lot of time there's no avoiding them if you're trying to get to a certain place on the map and there can be huge difficulty spikes meaning you need to keep your level relatively high. I guess if the combat in these types of games were more varied it wouldn't be so much of a problem but generally that's not the case. I do tend to get FOMO when a JRPG get's overwhelming praise which is one of the reasons I started playing Like a Dragon in the first place. I just have to be more picky about which ones I do play I think.

xeofate

Andee

@xeofate Yeah, it was specifically Bravely Default that I'd meant to mention as a perfect example of an update to the formula — the combination of speeding up battles, and turning off encounters completely makes a massive difference. Although, BD1 has problems of its own (well, one very specific problem, which I'd rather not spoil, but anyone who's played it probably knows what I'm talking about). And yeah, seeing enemies roaming the land at least makes getting from point A to B less of a slog. DQXI I actually found an incredibly chill affair, right up to the final boss, which was the only point at which I actually needed to grind

Edited on by Andee

Andee

NintendoByNature

After about 4ish hours, I dropped dead island 2. It was a decent enough time, but there's some very frustrating moments where there are just way too many enemies and all with different movement speeds. After an hour tonight of hitting 4th horde, and with some damage sponge, giant zombie variants, I just kept dying and Uninstalled the game from gamepass.

Anywhere from 2-3 zombies was manageable, but once you get anymore than that, you're basically swinging a weapon wildly and praying your hitting them where it counts. Not to mention, the combat was extremely basic, at least in the amount of time I've played. Maybe it gets better down the line? Not sure. Just performing the same attacks got a tad boring. Oh well, that's the beauty with gamepass I guess. If you don't like it, just delete it 🙂. I played pentiment for 20 minutes after and I'll see what the fuss is about.

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

Tasuki

@NintendoByNature I have zero interest in playing Dead Island 2. I played Dead Island Riptide years ago and had the same opion of that game that you have of Dead Island 2. Although I say as a multiplayer game it rocked. But that seems to be thing with the Dead Island games, they are better multiplayer games then single player.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

NintendoByNature

@Tasuki yea, I mean it wasn't bad. But it would've been much more fun with a friend. Or at least manageable. I got as far as the movie studio mission which is a little over 1/3 of the game.

NintendoByNature

Sugar-Rushed

Pikmin 4, namely because I beat the game 100% five times already.

Couldn't really get into Luigi's Mansion 3, even though I loved the first iteration of the series on the GameCube. Something about it seems too clean and it didn't really vibe with me.

"CTRL+ALT+DEL!"

Tasuki

@NintendoByNature If your looking for a good Zombie single player game I suggest Dying Light. What's interesting is that Dying Light is made by the same team that did Dead Island and Dead Island Riptide but it's more of a survival horror game then am action RPG. It's basically what the developer wanted Dead Island to be but was stopped from doing due to the publisher. I found Dying Light alot more manageable and not as cheap as Dead Island.

My Backlog

Magician

@Tasuki Once you get to Dying Light's endgame it flips from survival horror game into more of an action game. After you unlock camouflage you can move around at night without a care in world. At that point Night Hunters are as deadly as a kitten. Max out that power skill tree in no time.

Apply camo, stealthily break necks for 40 seconds, apply camo, repeat. From then on your hotkeys are pistol, shotgun, assault rifle rather than melee weapons because firearms don't have durability. Mmm, Dying Light, still one of my favorite games from the past decade. Right up there with Warframe.

If only modded weapons had infinite durability or something, DL might've been an all-time favorite.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,252 games (as of April 30th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

NintendoByNature

@Tasuki I tried dying light as well a while back. Wasn't too much my cup of tea for some reason. I guess I just like RE/Dead Space style horror games. Alan wake is lumped in there too. Too many enemies at one time overwhelms me and I end up having less fun as a result.

NintendoByNature

Tasuki

@Magician Yep I enjoyed Dying Light, I still have to play 2 at some point, its in the backlog. It's is one of my favorite zombie games probably that and Left 4 Dead.

@NintendoByNature I never enjoyed the Resident Evil series myself, I tried both 1 and 2 back in the day on PS and played 4 on the Wii and even playing 4 once was enough for me. To each their own. Dead Space I was never interested to be honest which is funny since the creator of it did my favorite Call of Duty. Just something with Dead Space just doesn't make me want to play it.

My Backlog

Magician

Tasuki wrote:

Yep I enjoyed Dying Light, I still have to play 2 at some point, its in the backlog. It's is one of my favorite zombie games probably that and Left 4 Dead.

@Tasuki

My brother.

It's unfortunate Back 4 Blood didn't turn out as well as L4D did.

Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Magician

Livestream: Escape from Hotel Izanami
Much like Sense: A Cyberpunk Ghost Story, this is a 2D adventure/horror game. You need to collect items and use them in the right place at the right time. About five minutes in I sort of knew I wasn't in for a good time. The first "puzzle" I experienced was removing a grate from the floor of the bathroom.

Wire hanger. Easy enough. But then I was attacked by a mass of hair and needed scissors to free myself. But the game allowed me to removed the grate without having the scissors = game over. Fine, reload, try again.

The next puzzle is freeing a friend from a blockaded room. Oh no! The stalker is heading my way, better run and hide. So I hide in the closet in a nearby room. I wait about twenty seconds, no sounds, so I left the closet. Turns out the stalker warped into the room (I did not hear a door open and close) and merc'd me as soon as I stepped out of the closet.

Game deleted, moving on.

Edited on by Magician

Magician

Return to Shironagasu Island
I assumed this was a straight up visual novel. Nope, it's an adventure game. Normally that would be fine, I don't mind adventure games. You have to click some random place on the screen, sometimes multiple times in the same spot, in order to progress the story. And there are no hints or aids that suggest what spaces or items are clickable.

This qualifies as a "pixel hunter", which is no bueno in my book.

Jhena

Rune Factory 3 for the Switch. I was told ,I would not have to marry, to beat the game, so I played until I had to and quit (THEY ARE CHIlDREN!!!). The rest of the game is pretty good, definitely feels more fun than Rune Factory 5.

I will inform myself better from now on, before I purchase a game like this.

Jhena

Switch Friend Code: SW-2361-9475-8611 | Nintendo Network ID: Traumwanderer

AndrasLOHF

Messenger. GREAT game, but I just got bored of the gameplay loop. Run through a level relatively quickly, and then struggle on a boss for hours/days got old.

AndrasLOHF

FishyS

@AndrasLOHF I don't know about that game in particular, but I do find it odd when a 3/10 difficulty game randomly has a 8/10 difficulty boss rather than e.g a 4/10 boss. Unless it's a boss rush game, bosses are just supposed to break up the rest of the game, not completely overwhelm the rest of the game.

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

Andee

@AndrasLOHF yeah the backtracking in that game, particularly in the second half, did test my patience somewhat. The game was a maybe a few hours longer than I felt it needed to be.

Andee

NintendoByNature

Dead Rising. It was just way too clunky, confusing, unforgiving, and frustrating. I love the idea. And I remember being so amazed by this concept back when this game launched. I even played it for a short while back then. It's just not fun unfortunately. I did buy the triple pack, so I'll eventually try 2, and 2: off the record. I've read those are a bit more forgiving.

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

Jhena

Removed - inappropriate

Jhena

Switch Friend Code: SW-2361-9475-8611 | Nintendo Network ID: Traumwanderer

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic