Forums

Topic: Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Posts 181 to 200 of 1,049

Ralizah

@JaxonH LOL the block-climbing sections are the main character's dreams. What really pulls people to Catherine is the highly mature and sexual storyline. It's unlike anything else you'll ever play.

I won't play Full Body, though. On principle. There is no reason whatsoever for that game to be skipping the Switch. I'll stick with the X360 version.

I'd be more offended by Atlus' snubbing of the Switch with ports if we weren't getting SMT V. The series might not be as high profile as something like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest (or, hell, even its own spinoff, Persona), but, I'll tell you this: SMT is a dream series for hardcore JRPG fans. It's top of the list. I'm literally struggling to enjoy playing classic JRPGs I used to love now because the SMT series raised my standards for what can be done with traditional, turn-based JRPG gameplay.

The only thing that has been holding SMT back at all has been the fact that it transitioned to handhelds. And, as a handheld gamer, I do love my handheld JRPGs, but the wimpy tech was absolutely holding the developers back on how ambitious they could make the games. Now we have a home console that can be used a portable system, and SMT is being developed with these upgraded specs in mind. It's going to be fabulous. I'm more excited for SMT V than I am Breath of the Wild 2, and you know how much I love BotW.

@BruceCM It's possible NIS might develop a Switch port. While it bombed in Japan, I think the Switch port did best overseas, despite its late release. I won't get my hopes up until we hear something, though.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

BruceCM

Yeah, I'm hyped for SMT V, too, @Ralizah .... I'm following the Ys IX news, so as soon as I hear anything definite, I'll be sure to make sure it's posted in the forums, which it will be before I get here

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Luna_110

The maps look fantastic, and with how expansive they are they remind me of those from Radiant Dawn and Path of Radiance.
I hope we get giant maps that are divided into different parts, like Serenes Forest in PoR.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

JaxonH

The maps really do remind me of past console entries. It's a much prettier game when in grid-based battle than it first appears.

@Ralizah
My brother LOVES Shin Megami Tensei. He said SMT IV was his fave game on the 3DS. I enjoyed it but never played past the beginning parts.

But given his high praise, and how much I trust his opinion, I'm more excited for SMTV than a Persona port.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ryu_Niiyama

@Ralizah Wait what?!??! New Sakura Taisen?! How did I not know about this? Don’t care what system I am getting this day one.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

CanisWolfred

JaxonH wrote:

Never got the appeal of Sakura Wars. It looks so low budget, basically just a cheap visual novel with some light tactical gameplay here and there.

Because some people want simulation/visual novel elements in their strategy games. If anything, Sakura Wars' story holds it up on its own, the fact that it's also a decent strategy series is only icing on the cake. It's an anime game for anime fans who also game, with production values that were certainly great for its time. And "cheap? Like, seriously? Have you ever actually seen a visual novel? The intro cinematics in Sakura Wars 2-5 would probably break the bank for roughly 90% of VNs out there.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

JaxonH

@CanisWolfred
Don’t take it so personal. I never said there wasn’t an audience for it. I said I never got the appeal.

And ya, seriously. It’s always looked cheap to me.

For the record, fans self describe it as “part visual novel”. It’s not an insult, it’s just a descriptor.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

CanisWolfred

@JaxonH And I was trying to explain the appeal, so you could at least understand the appeal - from what I've gathered, I don't think its fans see it as an alternative to Fire Emblem. The story, setting, characters, and their relationships have been developed over the course of 5 games, and I think its safe to say that the fans are more invested in these aspects compared to other strategy games. It also helps that the games have always had professionally done animation on par with anime OVAs of the mid-90s, adding to the appeal for anime fans - so much so that nearly every game in the series have been adapted into an anime at this point. The mix of strategy and sim elements add more situations to get to know and interact with these characters, something with we've only seen crop up in strategy games more often in the wake of Sakura Wars' success.

And I only complained about it "looking like a cheap Visual novel" because I've seriously never seen more than a handful of VNs that have more than just text with still images in the backround, aesthetically speaking. Even the more successful ones that are guaranteed to make their money back.

Seriously, Steins;Gate 0 looked like this:

Still portraits, stock backrounds, panning art and effects when necessary for emphasing an emotional or climactic moment, and maybe an animated opening and climax scene if they can afford it - that sums up my experience with Visual Novels from a visual standpoint. I'm genuinely curious as to what VNs you were comparing it to, because in my opinion, to call Sakura Wars a "cheap VN" undermines the amount of effort that went into it.

Sakura Wars is like a VN with the budget and interactivity of a major console RPG.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Ryu_Niiyama

@Ralizah so first off. Darn you segggggga I am trying to be mad at you for no new VF or shinobi.

Second thank goodness 2020. Ima have to sell a kidney this year as is.

Third. It looks sooooo good! Also Tite Kubo doing characters?! Already found my Yoruichi and SoiFon expys. Looks like 2020 is gonna rock as well. Good thing I snagged an extra job.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

SNES64DD

@JaxonH Steampunk mechs and romance simulation set in the Taishō period. What's not to love? So Long My Love was pretty good. Also a big fan of Valkyria Chronicles of which I've played the first and 4th entries and enjoy them both more than the Fire Emblems I've tried...all of which I have yet to finish.

SNES64DD

Switch Friend Code: SW-6514-9557-3207 | My Nintendo: SNES64DD | Nintendo Network ID: SNES64DD

JaxonH

@CanisWolfred
handful of VNs that have more than just text with still images in the backround

Which... is exactly the kind of stuff shown in the trailer I posted. (Aside from blinking eyes). It’s not the only thing but it’s certainly a part of it (and from descriptions I’ve read, a big part of it).

If you feel differently that’s fine but I make my assessments based on what I see. Again, don’t take it so personally. Nobody’s trying to strongarm you into changing your opinion.

Edited on by JaxonH

JaxonH

@SNES64DD
what’s not to love?

a big fan of Valkyria Chronicles of which I've played the first and 4th entries and enjoy them both more than the Fire Emblems I've tried

Well that’s probably your answer right there. I like Valkyria Chronicles, and spread word about that game when it released. I’m not against it. But it doesn’t come close to Fire Emblem. Not playing in the same league.

So if you enjoy that more, that’s probably why you find the game appealing and I don’t. Taisho period? I don’t even know what a Taisho period is, which probably explains my lack of interest in it.

Edited on by JaxonH

CanisWolfred

JaxonH wrote:

@CanisWolfred
handful of VNs that have more than just text with still images in the backround

Which... is exactly the kind of stuff shown in the trailer I posted. (Aside from blinking eyes). It’s not the only thing but it’s certainly a part of it (and from descriptions I’ve read, a big part of it).

If you feel differently that’s fine but I make my assessments based on what I see. Again, don’t take it so personally. Nobody’s trying to strongarm you into changing your opinion.

Are you blind??? There were lip movements, 3d backrounds, animated movement in even small details...look, I'm not trying to change your mind on the game, but your willful ignorance is frankly appalling. It'd be like if I said that Fire Emblem Awakening looks like a mobile game with no feet, and then flagrantly ignored comparisons like this:

I mean, there are just clear visual differences I could spend all day pointing out...but I won't, because you've clearly demonstrated that you know literally nothing about except that the hypothetical version that exists only in your mind based on what I assume is exactly 30 seconds of research considering how it took me at least a couple of minutes to find and read through the Sakura Wars wiki...pales in comparison to Fire Emblem, and therefore doesn't matter to you.

I'm sorry if I mistook the phrase "I never got the appeal of ______" as an invitation to learn about something. Now I know that what you meant was "I don't care for it."

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

SNES64DD

Ralizah wrote:

I'll tell you this: SMT is a dream series for hardcore JRPG fans. It's top of the list. I'm literally struggling to enjoy playing classic JRPGs I used to love now because the SMT series raised my standards for what can be done with traditional, turn-based JRPG gameplay.

This. So much truth.

Atlus has become my favourite jRPG developer after I discovered them upon the Square Enix merged.

SNES64DD

Switch Friend Code: SW-6514-9557-3207 | My Nintendo: SNES64DD | Nintendo Network ID: SNES64DD

DenDen

Never have been a big fan of fire emblem, wanted to try this one.
But yesterday the news of DLC announce on day 1 (paid) is a hughe turn off doe me so no not for me

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

CanisWolfred

@DenDen Looking at the expansion Pass details, it looks like the "Day 1" DLC is the bonus costume stuff, while new quests and stories come out far later, if that makes any kind of difference. I'd compain, since I still wish BotW had a complete pack, but I wound up buying the base game anyways and now I have to pretend the DLC doesn't exist until there's a time where I would rather purchase expanded content on an old game over a brand new game I haven't experienced before. I'll probably do the same here as well...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

SNES64DD

@DenDen Day 1 as others have said is only bonus costume and stuff. The rest will be released later down the line kinda like how Torna the Golden Country works. I hope it becomes standalone so it will move more units.

SNES64DD

JaxonH

@CanisWolfred
This is why I had you blocked for a long time.

You go unhinged, off the rails over the smallest things, you take offense to and relentlessly argue against opinions you dont like, and you aggressively respond in a civil discussion.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt this time, but respond to me like that again, and it'll be the last post I read from you. I've lost patience with being disrespected by people who can't handle differing opinions.

Edited on by JaxonH

JaxonH

New info

• the continent of Fodlan is about 2/3 the size of Europe
  • the game’s story revolves mostly around the three major countries (Adrestian Empire, Holy Kingdom of Faerghus, Leicester Alliance), but characters from other countries will also show up
  • other than permanently scouting students from other houses, you can also ask them to assist you, after which they will join you for one month only
  • if you tap a Fire Emblem amiibo, you will receive a music track from their respective game that you can set as the background music for non-story battles

I LOVE the amiibo use. I really hope the songs chosen are good ones. Like the track from chapter 6 of Path of Radiance, or the track from chapter 10 of Awakening, or the main theme of Fates.

Edited on by JaxonH

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic