Forums

Topic: DOOM

Posts 221 to 240 of 1,213

EvilLucario

@Peek-a-boo That's the 2014 game. I think the 2017 game is 30 FPS even on PS4/XB1, but I don't know for certain.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

FE Warriors is exactly why we can't judge on the fps situation just yet, that game has always been shown in the 1080p/30fps mode while the 720p/60fps mode was just an announcement. So just wait until closer to launch, maybe Bethesda will do the same.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

MarcelRguez

@Peek-a-boo And it isn't as fast-paced as Doom either.

@BLP_Software As someone who grew up with an European N64, you bet I had the time of my life with that slideshow of a game that was OoT. I would never play it again on the original hardware now that I own the 3DS version. The same might happen with Doom, only in reverse. I'm sure it's perfectly fine if this is your first experience with the game, but it's a hard double-dip.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

JaxonH

@Peek-a-boo
I could have sworn it was 30 and 60 for Pro. But apparently I'm wrong. No qualms if I'm wrong by all means correct me

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ryu_Niiyama

No complaints from me, looks good.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Peek-a-boo

@EvilLucario Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus is 60fps on both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, naturally so.

Even this gif for the PS4 version shows that silky 60fps goodness:

Untitled

@JaxonH No worries!

I was actually playing The New Order round my friends about a month or so ago, as it was only £3.99 (about $6) on the PlayStation store, and the 60fps is instantly noticeable. At least you acknowledged it.

Peek-a-boo

JaxonH

@Peek-a-boo
I played it years ago when it released. So it's been a while.

Spoony_Tech

I think we can all agree this is an important release for Nintendo! If Bethesda gets a better then playable version out they will get plenty of sales.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

EvilLucario

@Peek-a-boo Makes sense then. Thanks.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

NEStalgia

@Ryu_Niiyama LOL, I tried with the lights on with 3. Was kind of freaked out by the whole mood of it. I plugged the thing in the big control console or whatever Betruger set us up to do, the lights went out and the freaky stuff appeared on the screens, and I pretty much hoped out right then. Tried going on a bit....got mauled by the "imp" on the wall and was like "nope". I pushed on but the "view the specular surfaces with a flashlight while demons maul you in the dark in blood stained rooms" thing just didn't do it for me. That will forever taint my image of the Doom series....I didn't even pay attention to it when this new one happened.... But I've been reassured by the NL community it's really "classic Doom" in 3D. So I'll go with it! Just let me search for my key cards through the hordes of enemies I don't ever actually get to look at while I pop them like confetti. Not force me to slink along watching every corner as one or two monsters ambush me.

I do wonder what TES VI will be like. Todd has hinted that it will be very different. I don't know that it would exist on Switch (though if these 3 do well I can't imagine it not) based on what he said.....I fear it will be some MMO Sea of Thieves TES Online dreck.

NEStalgia

Ralizah

DOOM looks really good on the tablet. I'm fine as long as it's not dropping under 30fps consistently.

I think sales will be fine. 60fps snobbery isn't as prevalent among the general public as it is among so-called "hardcore gamers."

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

NEStalgia

Personally I think 60FPS is important in general, and is important for this type of game in general. But...it's Doom.....this game is well regarded because of how it compares to a DOS game that's arguably still the more popular one. In this case, 60FPS is indeed snobbery. The gameplay design itself, while ideal at 60fps was never actually designed for 60fps. OG Doom is still one of the most fun games, even if poorly designed at times, ever.

NEStalgia

FlyingFoxy

Without coming across as a PC fanboy, I'd just like to say this, those moaning about 30fps being too slow/sluggish would have a similar feeling if you'd been used to 120/144/165hz, and then immediately jumped back to 50-60fps to see the difference.

30fps isn't great no, but i still own a Switch for its portability, and at least the games with cartoon graphics mostly run pretty great and look nice too.

FlyingFoxy

Nintendoforlife

MegaTen wrote:

NEStalgia wrote:

The gameplay design itself, while ideal at 60fps was never actually designed for 60fps.

It was. Why does the game run on every platform at 60fps then? It's a ultra-fast game, and that's actually it's greatest strength. Nobody is going to design a game that is fast, but cannot be displayed fast. We've moved to higher standards since Space Invaders. This is not snobbery, but love of performance, gameplay - responsiveness to what's happing on screen.

The game is optimized to the high heavens on PC. It runs very very smooth on the PC at 30 FPS. I see no reason why the same optimization wouldn't take place here.

Nintendoforlife

NEStalgia

@MegaTen I meant the actual Doom gameplay design itself dating back to Knee Deep in the Dead, not specifically this new one. 60Hz is nice, but the actual play concept and design wasn't originally designed for it, and the new game is mostly designed around that design.

I'd always prefer an action game play at 60Hz. Nintendo gamers more than any other console gamers are accustomed to 60Hz. I just think Doom specifically has a long history at 30Hz.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@MegaTen Hmm, your text actually chilled my enthusiasm for the game. I'd heard it was a return to form of the old style doom. Describing it as an arena shooter style actually makes me less interested. They're a dime a dozen. THe original, and Serious Sam were fast pace enemy mob games....I was led to believe this was a return to that. The E3 footage seemed to indicate that too.

Personally I loathe arena shooters. Quake 1, Quake 2, Doom were great. Quake and Quake 2 online were great. QIIIA was boring, bland, and never felt worthy of the name....to me the day they announced Q3A was an online arena and I tried the demo, was the day id ceased to exist as a company I was interested in. Same happened with Unreal. Unreal 1 was great, Unreal Tournament was meh. Unreal 2 was honestly bad. And then all we got was Unreal Tournament. I havent managed to love an online arena shooter until Splatoon appeared and somehow addicted me. Reminds me more of Quake 1 & 2 online before the Q3A/UT craze ruined it

HOWEVER, the video you included reassures me slightly. I want to have to find keycards and I want to see tons more enemies on screen. I miss mowing them down like spraying a garden hose (reference to Quake 1 manual for the lightening gun there) . Serious Sam 1 let me do that. Serious Sam 2 was dumbed down for X-Box. Please tell me Doom lets me do that.

(Actually, looking at it again, the gameplay looks more like Quake 1. Not a bad thing at all. I miss my Doom hordes swarming though. But Q1's not a bad thing either.)

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Samus7Killer

DOOM and Overwatch are the best FPS games in the past 20 years. Nintendo got 1 of them and ill double dip it
If only they could get Overwatch I'd double dip that as well.

Samus7Killer

JaxonH

I really hope people go out and support this game.

Pete Hines says he wants to bring more games, and wants to start cultivating a relationship with Nintendo gamers. Says they think their games can do well because alot of Nintendo gamers have never played their games, and alot of people who have played them elsewhere will want access to them on the go as a portable game.

That's fantastic! A developer/publisher really putting their chips on the table. All in. Playing the long game to forge a lasting fanbase on Nintendo. Making the investment which so many developers refuse to make in favor of a short term mindset...

If that's not worthy of being supported and met halfway, Idk what is...

Edited on by JaxonH

NEStalgia

@MegaTen I think I'll give it a shot...the videos make it interesting enough despite that I generally didn't care when I first watched the E3 reveals a few years back.....I still had Doom 3 stuck in my head when I saw the word Doom and that was an instantaneous turn-off. Doom 3 was to Doom what a "Beach Party Edition" would be to Super Mario. I'm surprised they didn't remake Quake 2 as a romantic comedy while they were busy turning Doom into an atmospheric survival horror.

The whole "like an online shooter" thing does make me queasy (you wouldn't think so considering my addiction levels to Splatoon, but I otherwise loathe the genre and have since the day it existed.) But.....the videos still seem run & gun oriented....so I'll still give it a whirl. At worst it's the Doom 3 that Doom 3 should have been but wasn't.

@JaxonH FWIW, Pete's a really awesome guy in general. One of my two or three favorites in the whole industry. It's fun seeing him having risen up the ladder. I'm thrilled to see him so eager to jump into Nintendo even on an individual level.

Got to say of all the developers out there, Bethesda's probably the last one I ever imagined would one day suddenly dive all-in face first into the Nintendo market. I imagine the entire industry is pretty much in shock witnessing it and reevaluating some decisions in their boardrooms. And it's a great fit because despite the mass market appeal, PS4/XBox are largely casual systems (despite online "hardcore" personalities) while Nintendo gamers tend to be gamers as a lifestyle. Despite the visual differences on the surface, Bethesda (and id) games are gamer's games through and through. I do think it's a good match.

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic