Forums

Topic: Diablo III: Eternal Collection

Posts 121 to 140 of 606

Mountain_Man

FaeKnight wrote:

Mountain_Man wrote:

I think my least favorite is the Crusader and Barbarian. Interesting story about the Crusader, I once created a build that was indestructible. He could stand in the middle of an elite pack and regenerate health faster than the enemies could damage him. Even act bosses couldn't put a dent in him. Unfortunately, his damage output was so low that he would take forever to kill things. It took a lot of rejiggering of skills and gear to get a decent DPS character, but then he was a lot more vulnerable as a result.

That is, of course, the trade off. You can have incredible damage, insane tanking capability, or crazy utility. Pick two. If you optimize for utility, damage and defense go down. If you optimize for defense then damage and utility go down but you'll survive nearly anything. If you optimize for damage then most enemies will drop in seconds, but anything tough enough to withstand the alpha strike can and probably will kill you. Going for a mix of 2 gets you decent levels of the two you picked. Trying for all three means no one aspect is particularly good.

I've made Witch Doctor builds that can kill everything on screen in seconds but could die from a single hit. Great for rift runs but took a lot of concentration to keep space between him and his foes.

The Mountain Man

Mountain_Man

FaeKnight wrote:

bilboa wrote:

FaeKnight wrote:

Watching the trailer, one thing I didn't see was them using a single joy con for a controller. So for local multiplayer you'll need multiple sets of them?

I have the Xbox 360 version, and the control mappings use all the controls: both sticks, d-pad, all buttons and both sets of triggers. Even that's a compromise compared to the PC version where you have the whole keyboard for shortcuts. I think it would be very awkward trying to make the game playable with a single joycon. Even Nintendo's own Breath of the Wild didn't try to do that.

At the same time, Hyrule Warriors uses every button and both sticks. Yet it manages to have a 2 player mode using single joy cons. It wouldn't be that hard to have the SL and SR buttons be used to modify which ability tray the face buttons (ABXY) are used for. Considering the X-box version only allows 6 powers (and health/mana potions) for any given setup it wouln't be that difficult.

Yep, I was thinking of Hyrule Warriors, too. If the shoulder buttons were used as shift keys instead of direct commands then a single Joy-Con would offer more than enough flexibility for Diablo 3.

The Mountain Man

JaxonH

BestBuy needs to hurry up and get this game listed so I can preorder!

I'm fiending to play... and locking that sucker in will help satiate the urges.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

FragRed

@Zuljaras That is an odd thing to say as I doubt the build they are playing is from a cartridge. So how do they know that this is all going to be on the cartridge to begin with and not a download?

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Mountain_Man

Looks like single Joy-Con control is confirmed:

There was also the option to play the same section, docked, in single-player - which we did with both a Pro Controller and a single Joy-Con.

[...]

You do still have all of the same actions available to you, Blizzard emphasised, they've just been optimised for the platform and this configuration specifically. "Adapting to using the single Joy-Con was an iteration on the buttons, but they're still all there," a developer confirmed.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-08-20-hands-on-with-d...

Edited on by Mountain_Man

The Mountain Man

EvilLucario

That's insane. I wonder how that would work.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Mountain_Man

EvilLucario wrote:

That's insane. I wonder how that would work.

There are a number of ways you can achieve this. One is to do like Hyrule Warriors where the right shoulder button acts as a shift key to modify the face buttons. Another is to differentiate between quick taps and holding a button down

The Mountain Man

Mountain_Man

So no official confirmation or direct quote from a Blizzard rep, but this is certainly promising.

The Mountain Man

bilboa

Mountain_Man wrote:

Looks like single Joy-Con control is confirmed:

There was also the option to play the same section, docked, in single-player - which we did with both a Pro Controller and a single Joy-Con.

[...]

You do still have all of the same actions available to you, Blizzard emphasised, they've just been optimised for the platform and this configuration specifically. "Adapting to using the single Joy-Con was an iteration on the buttons, but they're still all there," a developer confirmed.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-08-20-hands-on-with-d...

Interesting. The other part of that quote though is:

The only concern is that it doesn't feel all that comfortable to play on a single Joy-Con - potentially an issue if players are hoping to play on the same console at the same time. It's responsive and serviceable, but the lack of a second thumbstick in particular doesn't really feel like the optimal or most comfortable way of doing things - and that's from someone with tiny hands.

So it sounds like a sub-optimal way to play the game. But glad the option is there.

bilboa

Mountain_Man

bilboa wrote:

Interesting. The other part of that quote though is:

The only concern is that it doesn't feel all that comfortable to play on a single Joy-Con - potentially an issue if players are hoping to play on the same console at the same time. It's responsive and serviceable, but the lack of a second thumbstick in particular doesn't really feel like the optimal or most comfortable way of doing things - and that's from someone with tiny hands.

So it sounds like a sub-optimal way to play the game. But glad the option is there.

Eh, that's just a general criticism about how the Joy-Cons can be uncomfortable when held horizontally. I have large hands and have not found it to be a problem. The trick is to not try and grip the Joy-Con like you would a typical controller but to hold it more loosely. It shouldn't be a problem.

The Mountain Man

rallydefault

Everything being on the cart is no surprise. Blizz does stuff right.

rallydefault

Trajan

I downloaded the demo for PC. I think the demo is the full game just locked behind a pay wall since its 16gb. The game is actually fun. I figured it was some basement virgin game, but I actually enjoyed it. How are the controls on console? I hate playing PC anymore.

Sakurai: Which is why I think we should forget about console wars and focus on what’s really important: enjoying the games themselves.

"If we did this (mobile games), Nintendo would cease to be Nintendo." - Iwata

FaeKnight

Much better. For one thing, it's not a click fest where you're wearing out your mouse to both move and attack.

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

Nemodius

I had heard the name of the "Diablo" series for years, I didn't know anything and honestly, the cover art just made me think of another dungeon crawl, I asked friends and all I got was vague "oh yah, fun as crazy", "you can get caught up real easy", but no one actually told me anything, so i ignored it....then I hear a D3 port is coming and I was like "Oh good God, BFD", then was at a friend's and saw him playing what looked like a clone of one of my favorite arcade games...Gauntlet, I was "hey, this is nice, what are you on ???"

Well, D3 is now in my Switch collection, well I set aside an open slot in my carry case specifically for it

can't wait !!!

lesson, don't judge a book by its cover !!! (look at the cover art of the ORIGINAL NES Mega Man 2)

"If failure is the greatest teacher, how come we are not the most superior beings in the universe ???"

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic