Forums

Topic: Breath of the wild extremely overrated or am I missing something?

Posts 221 to 240 of 262

Eel

Ah, Zelda assistants. We have them in all the flavors.

"Master, you seem to be low on health. I calculate there's a 91.5% chance of failure in your mission if you do not do anything about it immediately. I recommend collecting "Hearts" at once to improve your health. Do you want me to set "Hearts" as our dowsing objective?"

"Hey Listen! You are looking a bit down. Why don't you try playing Saria's Song to speak with her? Maybe he has an idea on what to do."

"You're gonna die, idiot. So do something about it."

"I need a Sail!"

Too bad the Sheikah Slate doesn't have Siri installed.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

jump

@Eel

You left out Tatl.

I may put BOTW as the best Zelda game simply as it doesn't have a hand holding nag with you.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

CupidStunt

The fact that it was almost bug free and it was 1.5x the size if Skyrim, already makes it infinitely more impressive than Skyrim. There was no handholding either; Skyrim involved going to a to b to c to d and following constant map pointers. BotW just left you to explore and puzzle away through everything on your own, which is a far more complex type of level and game design.

CupidStunt

jump

@damien33ad there's 900 Korok seeds, not 800 in the game.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Balta666

As a major Zelda fan i can agree that the game is overrated (and I will add the very common "bad Zelda game").

I miss the themed dungeons, I absolutely hated the weapon degradation mechanic and I feel i never got to BE good atvl fighting because i didnt need to as I always had infinite health in my inventory.

And if you think Open worlds and good story telling cannot be together i will suggest you play Witcher 3 next

Zeldafan79

As a fan of Zelda since the beginning who's played every game in the series thus far i gotta say. BOTW is not my favorite. I miss the full dungeons, an actual story and I'm not so sure Zelda games need to be open world. They should have just called it Hyruleans creed.

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

StuTwo

Eel wrote:

Ah, Zelda assistants. We have them in all the flavors.

"Master, you seem to be low on health. I calculate there's a 91.5% chance of failure in your mission if you do not do anything about it immediately. I recommend collecting "Hearts" at once to improve your health. Do you want me to set "Hearts" as our dowsing objective?"

Statistically I wonder how many of the people who are very eager to slate BoTW eever actually played through Skyward Sword.

I liked the game in many ways (I personally think it was a tour-de-force of what a big motion based game built entirely around motion control can be) but it was one of the poorer selling games in the series and every time Fi came out of the sword felt like a nail in the coffin of the Zelda series even though she's really just a symptom of bigger problems with the game.

It definitely felt like the series had reached the end of a cul-de-sac.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Zeldafan79

I mostly loved skyward sword myself! Had a few problems rolling bombs with the motion controls and some fights had me a reeling in frustration at first but the dungeons were fun. I loved the sand ship one! My favorite of all! it had real music and not just ambient noise. Oh also a story too! The more i think about it the more i honestly think it's better than BOTW. Heck Twilight princess was better!

Don't get me wrong BOTW has it's strengths but i really miss Zelda being Zelda.

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

Balta666

@StuTwo skyward sword is by far my least favourite in the series (bear in mind I never played Zelda 2 so cannot say if it is even worst and also that I played for the first time last year just after playing TP for the first time as well). FI is terrible and the only companion I have issues with, the dungeons are boring because they need to go with a mimick and the combat os something I never manager to get the feeling of it (all my boss fights were a struggle to do what it is intended at the right Timing) and the reuse of areas shows that not much time was put into its development

teo_o

@Balta666 yeah I agree. The flooded dungeon appeared more like "***** I'm limited by the hardware" than "I have this cool idea that would transform the dungeon.
I liked the sword combat system, particularly against ghiraim.

teo_o

jump

Skyward Sword and Breath Of The Wild are both the wrong answer to what the worst Zelda game is, it’s Tri Force Heroes!

Nicolai wrote:

teo_o

@jump that i haven't played! Mostly because everyone says it's bad which is strange to me, because four swords was very good

teo_o

porto

damien33ad wrote:

Just a joke...take a deep breath @HobbitGamer

It’s not a joke if you repeat it twice. We can like or dislike BOTW, but we don’t need to make other people agree with us.
We can share why we like/dislike it, but changing other people’s opinions on such a minor topic is douche.
You clearly need to chill and realize what you’re saying before posting.

porto

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

glaemay

@Balta666 Witcher 3 doesn't even have half of the game mechanics BOTW has. But most people are unable to judge the work behind the game design of a game. Opinion of uneducated gamers shouldn't be taken very seriously.

glaemay

jump

@teo_o don’t, it is virtually unplayable on your own and the region locked multiplayer and general lack of interest makes it too hard to find other players.

Four Swords was great but they didn’t use that as a basis for Tri Force Heroes which is baffling really. This was the around same time Splatoon and Metroid Prime FF came out so I’m assuming Nintendo had an internal memo about needing more online multiplayer games.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Eel

@jump oh, my bad.

“So... Do you mean to be low on health, or are you just that incompetent? I don’t really need to tell you how to heal yourself, right?”

Bonus, Ciela:

“Follow me!”

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Balta666

glaemay wrote:

@Balta666 Witcher 3 doesn't even have half of the game mechanics BOTW has. But most people are unable to judge the work behind the game design of a game. Opinion of uneducated gamers shouldn't be taken very seriously.

You have your opinion as I have mine. I don't put the climbing or handgliding ahead of storytelling.

Witcher 3 has a massive world but whenever you go people talk to you and you can make a Change in their lives

Edited on by Balta666

Cynas

I didn't mind Tri Force Heroes, but I was lucky enough to have a couple friends to play with at the time which I think is the only way the game becomes fun. I enjoyed it more than Four Swords multiplayer personally. I've only played Four Swords Adventures solo, and I wasn't a huge fan. But I personally don't really count the multiplayer Zeldas as mainline Zelda games even if they're considered officially canon within the series.

I had fun with every Zelda game, but I'd say my least favourite modern Zelda game is Spirit Tracks.

Edited on by Cynas

Cynas

Switch Friend Code: SW-5466-6715-6498

Magitek_Knight

I probably shouldn't have, but I started playing BOTW before I finished up my playthrough of LttP (and by extension other Zelda games).

I've got about ten hours in and...eh.

BOTW has problems other games have solved already (it looks like they copied Silent Hill Origins' terrible weapon system wholesale, and Assassins' Creed's tower climbing.) It suffers from having a big empty world with too much copy paste of enemies. I'm no Zelda scholar but in LA you saw more monster types on the way to get your sword at the beach than I've seen so far. Maybe it gets better later, but I'm pretty underwhelmed. Right now it takes me half an hour just to get anywhere. I'm currently spending 8-10 hours a day on the road, I do NOT want to jump into a game and have to have MORE mind numbing travel going on. Or I get somewhere and get one-shotted by an enemy with instakill.

Also the dungeon puzzle where you have to flip your console around in your hands is infuriating and the controls never feel precise or like the tilting corresponds to the direction you're trying to move the thing.

I think I'm gonna shelve this one for a while. I know my tastes and knew BotW pretty much runs opposite to them; why couldn't I leave it alone?

Edited on by Magitek_Knight

I didn't like Breath of the Wild, have I mentioned it yet today?

kkslider5552000

Magitek_Knight wrote:

Assassins' Creed's tower climbing

this is the 2nd least true complaint about BOTW, behind the music. There's like sixteen towers in the entire world, some of them involve (admittedly usually basic) puzzles, an early ability I got made them a complete non-hassle. You're early enough that you don't know that at least. They're such a non-issue.

I have no strong opinion about your opinion btw, do whatever, this was just a good opportunity to bring this up.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Sorry, this topic has been locked.