Forums

Topic: Breath of the wild extremely overrated or am I missing something?

Posts 241 to 260 of 262

Magitek_Knight

@kkslider5552000 Well I've played less of AC (maybe 1 hour of 1 and 3 hours of 2) than I have of BotW at this point and climbing towers to reveal the map is something it has common with them (and Spider-Man, which there was no excuse for because NYC). But then pseudo medieval fantasy has iPads now instead of actual parchment maps so...I don't even know what to think.

As for music...I've been listening to podcasts while playing, the ambience kind of makes me sleepy.

Edited on by Magitek_Knight

I didn't like Breath of the Wild, have I mentioned it yet today?

CupidStunt

@Magitek_Knight If it is taking you that long to get anywhere you are doing it wrong as there are 120 shrines to find that you can warp to and from. The World is varied and full puzzles. It had been years since a game left you to figure out everything on your own and never had I seen this done in a sprawling open world before.

CupidStunt

Magitek_Knight

@CupidStunt You have to reach the shrine and activate it first to use fast travel and that means walking, climbing, or gliding to them which is a pretty laborious process. I didn't realize before last night that that towns didn't serve as fast travel points, only activated towers and shrines. If you look at other games with open world and fast travel from over a decade ago (lool at New Vegas for example) you simply have to enter an area for it ro be added to ypur fast travel map.

It feels like BotW has a bunch of issues that other devs have already ironed out and said "nah, that makes it less fun to play" years ago.

I don't WANT to figure out a game for myself. This generation of games has a real bad habit of making you have to do homework to enjoy a game at all by things that used to get covered in the manual or tutorial. I've had this problem with Overwatch, Bloodborne, several games where it's like, within 5 minutes of booting up for the first time I have to look at a video or forum to understand things the game should have explained to me and with BotW I'm already struggling with an unfamiliar console and controls.

CupidStunt

@Magitek_Knight Some people like to use their brains when they play video games. They solve a puzzle and think "Wow, only a genius artist could create something like that". I would say that if you do not like to use your brain playing a game, then stick to games with map pointers, and more basic exploration like a lot of Western RPGs. I never once felt lost in BotW, and loved the exploration, challenge, and puzzles. Each area had its own puzzle theme. But that is just mine (and many others), subjective opinion. That is the beauty of art - it is subjective. I feel Modern gamers have been raised on a more basic and brainless form of game. Gamers who have been around since the NES/SNES/N64 I find are more appreciative of excellent level designs and puzzles, rather than reptitive quests and numerous conversation trees. Each to their own though.

Edited on by CupidStunt

CupidStunt

teo_o

Magitek_Knight wrote:

It feels like BotW has a bunch of issues that other devs have already ironed out and said "nah, that makes it less fun to play" years ago.

I don't WANT to figure out a game for myself.

I think we need to clearly distinguish what we subjectively don't like, to what the videogame press overrates.
Is Breath Of The Wild ovverrated by the press? despite being my second favourite Zelda i have to admit: yes. Botw doesn't invent any new gameplay mechanic and borrows a lot.
And this is technically true.
But when it comes to explore the overworld or the ambient music that goes along with it, these are choices by the team, not errors.
If you approach a game that is famous for having a strong free roaming component knowing that's not really your favourite cup of tea, you can't then criticize its fast travel solution 10 hours in pretending to call it an "error" of game design, because that's a subjective preference made into a technical evaluation.
@Magitek_Knight exactly.

teo_o

StuTwo

Balta666 wrote:

@StuTwo skyward sword is by far my least favourite in the series (bear in mind I never played Zelda 2 so cannot say if it is even worst and also that I played for the first time last year just after playing TP for the first time as well). FI is terrible and the only companion I have issues with, the dungeons are boring because they need to go with a mimick and the combat os something I never manager to get the feeling of it (all my boss fights were a struggle to do what it is intended at the right Timing) and the reuse of areas shows that not much time was put into its development

I do think that Skyward Sword is an incredible demonstration of motion controls integrated into a game that's aspiring to be something more than just a party mini-game collection. The art style is lovely and the puzzle design in dungeons was inspired in places. The characters were also great, the world was promising (but under-developed) and the story was mildly interesting (although even there I'd say it's not worth playing the game for that).

As a Zelda game it feels like they recognised that the formula was very stale by the time TP was released and Skyward Sword was a reaction to that. So you start to get the thought processes of "what if Link had a stamina wheel" and "what if vital equipment like shields can be destructible", "how can the fighting system evolve into something that's more continually engaging away from button mashing" and even questioning what the role of dungeons should be in a Zelda game. These were the right questions to ask - I think they asked the same questions again for BoTW and got slightly different (and IMO better) answers.

I think they misjudged their audience though (as Nintendo did throughout the Wii era and the early Wii U era). The audience that cares for Zelda doesn't want to be literally stopped every 30 seconds to be told that they've picked up a Deku Seed and it can be used to craft or that "there's a 73.4575% chance you're going the wrong way. Dowse, Dowse, DOWSE!". The core audience for the games wants to feel like they're on an epic adventure - however you achieve that.

Skyward Sword kind of felt like it was caught between understanding that but also wanting to be a game for those who've never played an adventure game before. That audience needs something very linear and easy to digest. I don't think it satisfied them either because the game is too long and too dense in some ways to be appreciated as a persons "first Zelda".

Recently there's been a lot of threads about Skyward Sword and comments like "oh great - I never played that one. Hopefully they can patch out the motion controls and fix a few things and I'll have a great Zelda game to play". I think these comments are misguided. Skyward Sword has some deep structural issues that a "swift sail" can't paper over. The compromises in the game can be justified because of the motion controls but strip that novelty from the game and I think it might be the weakest of the 3d Zelda's.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Euler

@Magitek_Knight Every town (and in fact, every stable) has a shrine either inside the town or a stone’s throw away. None are hard to activate, you can easily unlock them if you’re intentional about it.

Euler

teo_o

@Euler What? i have to WALK to unlock fast travel? i'm sorry blatant game design error

teo_o

BruceCM

That's the same as almost every game with fast travel in it .... In Witcher 3, it's signposts but you have to travel from one & you can only goto ones you've unlocked, mostly by passing nearby! Or Assassin's Creed Odyssey, where you have to 'synchronize' the points

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Euler

Don't half those games force you to climb the towers before you unlock anything in the region?

Euler

Eel

The towers in Zelda only really unlock the map of that region. There's nothing that really requires you to activate a tower (after the first). As far as I remember.

They are certainly useful for scouting and finding new shrines though.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Magitek_Knight

@CupidStunt So basically I'm dumb for not liking BotW. Classic fanboy move that will definitely make me more cobsiderate of your viewpoint and not make me hostile to you.

I don't get much intellectual stimulation from running across empty fields or looking up puzzle solutions online because the controls don't work the way they're expected to (I had to unattach the joycons from the console to solve the ball rolling tilting puzzle. Very meta) but then I'm not a galaxy brain BOTW fanboy.

Fallout has had fast travel to a location as soon as you enter it since 1997. No activating nodes or anything. BotW feels like they have a basic idea of an open world game from someone's description but they didn't look at actual examples to see where other developers had already fixed problems BOTW has so they could avoid thode nuisances.

Admit it, if it didn't have Zelda in the title it would be just another Watch Dogs or similar quickly forgotten open world also-ran.

Edited on by Magitek_Knight

BruceCM

Fallout must be the exception .... So, perhaps they looked at other games that do have that sort of system? If you dislike it that much, stop playing it! Solution

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

-Green-

Stop with this nonsense. Most of us are actually having actual conversations about the game and our thoughts without throwing needless accusations at each other. You guys who just pop in to make fun of each other just ruin the whole mood of the discussion and it always just devolves into mud slinging

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

porto

-Green- wrote:

Stop with this nonsense. Most of us are actually having actual conversations about the game and our thoughts without throwing needless accusations at each other. You guys who just pop in to make fun of each other just ruin the whole mood of the discussion and it always just devolves into mud slinging

True that. People get way to defensive about gaming it’s hilarious.

porto

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

teo_o

i really enjoy the discussions as long as they are prolific and well thought, i can't stand them when they degenerate in "having played a lot of games i consider myself a game designer and zelda is full of technical errors". no, you are a human being with your own tastes and you didn't like BOTW. end of story. was it overrated by the press? is it too much to say it's GOAT? of course, yes! that's just how the press works in every field.

teo_o

porto

kkslider5552000 wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I have no strong opinion about your opinion btw, do whatever

CupidStunt wrote:

Some people like to use their brains when they play video games..

The two types of posters

🤦🏻‍♂️ you took that way out of context. He was talking about using your brains to solve puzzles in video games. Also, using yourself as a good example isn’t going to earn you any more respect in the slightest.

porto

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

teo_o

If i may bring a happy sidenote for anyone who enjoyed Link's awakening remake, this weekend will go live a demo for TUNIC, a rather cute indie action adventure heavily inspired by Zelda.
Right now it's sadly planned only for steam and xbox but who knows, it's an indie after all...
-end of the sidenote-

teo_o

Magitek_Knight

@damien33ad I went against my better judgment and took someone on reddit's advice and tried it because "it's not like most open world games at all!"

How many other lies have I been told by the council?

Sorry, this topic has been locked.