Forums

Topic: Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Posts 9,561 to 9,580 of 10,553

VoidofLight

Animal Crossing games usually take a couple of months for someone to properly review or even form their opinions on, due to how the game itself is structured. I think I ended up with 500+ hours in New Leaf over the course of 7 years, and ended up with only 100 over the course of New Horizon's first year. I probably would've played New Horizons a bit more if I had more stuff to do honestly.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Mountain_Man

Clyde_Radcliffe wrote:

I still think New Leaf had a lot more content overall...

I think it's more correct to say that it has different content, not more or better, just different. I think what's driving this debate is that each game is structured differently. New Leaf is fairly rigid with a lot of gated content, some of which takes an obnoxious amount of time and effort to unlock. New Horizons, in contrast, is more of an open, free form experience with fewer explicitly defined goals.

The Mountain Man

Mountain_Man

VoidofLight wrote:

Animal Crossing games usually take a couple of months for someone to properly review or even form their opinions on, due to how the game itself is structured. I think I ended up with 500+ hours in New Leaf over the course of 7 years, and ended up with only 100 over the course of New Horizon's first year. I probably would've played New Horizons a bit more if I had more stuff to do honestly.

I played New Leaf for just over 500 hours over a period of 5-years. I'm currently around the 400-hour mark in New Horizons, and I'm still having a blast with it. If I ever get bored, I can always level my whole town and rebuild the entire thing from scratch which I will probably do at some point, but I'm not there yet. A new layout would take quite a lot of time and planning, but it would be fun. Someone even created a really cool online island designer to make the process easier.

https://eugeneration.github.io/HappyIslandDesigner/

Edited on by Mountain_Man

The Mountain Man

VoidofLight

@Mountain_Man for me, I had around 500 in New Leaf, but only 100 in horizons. I don’t find New Horizons to really be fun for me. I can’t even really bring myself to play it anymore.

Anti-Matter

@VoidofLight
What do you want to do in ACNH if you keep saying not fun as ACNL ?
Every Animal Crossing games are different.
There is always old features didn't featured on newer games.
I didn't complain in ACNH for not having star gazing from City Folk or unable to play hide and seek from ACNL.
If those old features didn't revive on ACNH, just let it go.
Try to embrace new features that emphasizing on building aspect.
If you still have less knowledge about designing, try to make your island as good as possible with very Basic design (less 2nd floor, give simple path road, place the villager houses at same area, put some outdoor furnitures outside)

Anti-Matter

VoidofLight

@Anti-Matter I have no interest in making good looking towns. I want the missing series staples and social sim aspects back. Shop upgrades, and other missing features. I don’t play animal crossing solely for the customization, just like I don’t play the sims for solely building houses. New Horizons has less of what I prefer to do in an Animal Crossing game.

FroZtedFlake

@VoidofLight Agree, I don't care as much about the island's design and look, but I actually love going all out on my house. I miss the villager games, activities, and unique dialog. I do appreciate the new stuff they've done with the series as I've said like the graphics are amazing now. I just hope they add a big content update sometime, chances aren't very high but it'd be really cool

Games I'm playing right now:
Tears of the Kingdom - Switch

Kingdom Hearts 2 - PS4
Ace Attorney Trilogy - Switch

Anti-Matter

@VoidofLight
So i think your island looking looks very raw without any paths on it. (trees anywhere)
Watch my island design from August 2020.
This is the basic looking of my island.

It's not hard to embrace the design aspect in ACNH. It's about make your appearance, your own island great to see enough because it looks tidy and organized well, it will motivate you to play ACNH oftenly.
Don't you like to see a very well organized island / very organized house furnishing ?

Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

@FroZtedFlakerZz
I don't even miss unique dialogues from villagers.
Glad Nintendo make it shorter dialogues in ACNH because i don't like yada yada yada conversations and i have to press B button repeatedly to skip the dialogues quickly.
I don't play ACNH for listening unique dialogues. Lyle and Resetti on ACNL were very disturbing for long train running yada yada yada dialogues, i want to seal their mouth for not saying any words.

Anti-Matter

FroZtedFlake

@Anti-Matter Yeah Lyle and Resetti were annoying, although Resetti could get me to laugh sometimes, I loved the smash bros brawl assist trophy. It is really nice to see an island neat and finished, but most of the time I just don't have enough time to do that stuff, or I'm not in the mood so I miss some of the smaller short activities. Seriously tho, that's a pretty lit island man

Games I'm playing right now:
Tears of the Kingdom - Switch

Kingdom Hearts 2 - PS4
Ace Attorney Trilogy - Switch

Anti-Matter

@FroZtedFlakerZz
When i watch other people's island tour, mostly they have very complicated island design and too many stuffs crowded.
Some of them looks very great but others looks very crowded.
Here i was thinking your island design could be your worst enemy.
The more complicated of your island, the more difficult for you to find Celeste or other NPCs (CJ, Flick, Saharah, etc) wandering around of your island.
And that's why i designed my island with Basic looking so i can recognize my island quickly from the buildings placement.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Mountain_Man

VoidofLight wrote:

@Mountain_Man for me, I had around 500 in New Leaf, but only 100 in horizons. I don’t find New Horizons to really be fun for me. I can’t even really bring myself to play it anymore.

I think this gets us back to the point I made earlier: it's not that New Horizons has less content, or that its activities are necessarily less enjoyable than its predecessor, it's just presented differently. You seem to enjoy the more rigidly defined structure of New Leaf with its copious gated content. New Horizons requires less "grinding" in exchange for considerably more freedom. To use an analogy, New Leaf is an established playground that you're invited to play in, whereas New Horizons is a sandbox that let's you build whatever you want. I personally enjoy both games, but at this point, I really couldn't picture going back to New Leaf and spending all those hundreds of hours grinding out the unlockables all over again.

The Mountain Man

Mountain_Man

Anti-Matter wrote:

@FroZtedFlakerZz
I don't even miss unique dialogues from villagers.
Glad Nintendo make it shorter dialogues in ACNH because i don't like yada yada yada conversations and i have to press B button repeatedly to skip the dialogues quickly.
I don't play ACNH for listening unique dialogues. Lyle and Resetti on ACNL were very disturbing for long train running yada yada yada dialogues, i want to seal their mouth for not saying any words.

I honestly don't remember the New Leaf villagers having a wide variety of dialog.

The Mountain Man

Anti-Matter

@Mountain_Man
The most memorable dialogue from ACNL was from Smug villagers.
They always mentioned about the fair numbers of cucumber things. 😂
But, yeah. They don't have wide variety of dialogues in ACNL unless if you talked them too many or hit them until they got upset.

Anti-Matter

MarioVillager92

Just thought I'd post my anniversary screenshots right here, courtesy of my Twitter page. Not sure if Nintendo Life will feature my pics in a future video of theirs, but we'll see. lol

Happy 1st anniversary, New Horizons! In advance, of course!

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

BrittGOAL14

Happy 1st anniversary... Gulliver sent me the golden shovel DIY!

Switch Name - Brittany.
Island Name - Derry.
Dream Address - DA-5536-3403-5812

ACNH Catalog

Switch Friend Code: SW-7041-9015-5250 | 3DS Friend Code: 0619-3807-4819 | My Nintendo: BrittGOAL | Nintendo Network ID: BrittGOAL | Twitter:

Mountain_Man

One thing I definitely do NOT miss from New Leaf is grass wear! All those ugly brown patches everywhere... ugh.

The Mountain Man

Kimyonaakuma

Happy ACNH..iversary?

Definitely enjoyed it over the past year, even if I'm not as dedicated as I was last spring/summer .

@Mountain_Man I didn't love grass wear, but now the island looks like it is covered in a green rug.
I'm more bothered by the rivers in New Horizons. I know it's part of the landscaping, but I miss rivers with smooth bends and transitions. Looks really "blocky" now...probably because it is.

Kimyonaakuma

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic