Forums

Topic: Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Posts 9,541 to 9,560 of 10,553

Clyde_Radcliffe

Mountain_Man wrote:

VoidofLight wrote:

I mean, even in every day things, New Horizons just feels lacking compared to previous games.

In what way? What variety of activities were available in New Leaf that are missing from New Horizons?

Getting coffee at Brewsters and talking to animals about their day/unique dialogue
Getting a job at Brewsters
KK Slider DJing at Club LOL where you could dance with animals
Listen to Dr Shrunk jokes at Club LOL
Happy Home Showcase
Boat trip and song with Kapp'n
Island Minigames and visiting Kapp'ns family
Having animals come to your house
Digging up Gyroids and collecting them
Renting rooms in the upstairs of the museum to display things/store items
Upgrade Nook's show 5 times and get an upstairs
Play hide and seek with animals
Enacting town ordinances
Gain signatures for a petition
View your town history at the town tree
Redesign the town hall
Visit the shopping street and all the missing shops, seeing villagers who moved out shopping
Visit Mr Resetti at the Resetti Surveillance Centre
Get your fortune told by Katrina
Buying a game system to play games on
Visit Booker and Copper at the police station
Bury a time capsule
Wash Gracie's car

There was a lot... A LOT more to do in Animal Crossing New Leaf on a day to day basis, especially for those of us who don't care that much for the designing side of things. I'm sure I've missed a load of things aside from these.

Edited on by Clyde_Radcliffe

Clyde_Radcliffe

Anti-Matter

@Clyde_Radcliffe
While other audience like me prefer ACNH than ACNL due to designing aspect. (The Sims)
I'm the right audience for Animal Crossing game with more design aspect, less conversations and interactions.
I only talked to my villagers only 1 - 2 times when i meet them, didn't even engaged in yada yada yada 101 conversations like previous Animal Crossing.
I don't buy Animal Crossing for long train running of yada yada yada (i will seal Lyle's mouth when he start to talk).

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Clyde_Radcliffe

Anti-Matter wrote:

@Clyde_Radcliffe
While other audience like me prefer ACNH than ACNL due to designing aspect. (The Sims)
I'm the right audience for Animal Crossing game with more design aspect, less conversations and interactions.
I only talked to my villagers only 1 - 2 times when i meet them, didn't even engaged in yada yada yada 101 conversations like previous Animal Crossing.
I don't buy Animal Crossing for long train running of yada yada yada (i will seal Lyle's mouth when he start to talk).

I think you should have the option to build permanent shops for visitors like Leif and Kicks as well as missing NPC's like Katrina and Gracie. This would actually ENHANCE the design aspect as you could incorporate them into your designs and move them where you like, like the museum. Replacing all the different shops with machines and little temporary stalls outside Resident Services really sucks the life out of the game for me and makes it feel like less like a living, breathing community.

I still love the game and have put a lot of work in to my design as there's not so much else to do, but it's definitely behind New Leaf and the GameCube original for me. I didn't play Wild World much and can't remember it too well and never tried the other games.

Edited on by Clyde_Radcliffe

Clyde_Radcliffe

Kimyonaakuma

I think the Island concept is part of the problem. It's nice building up the island for the beginning "story" section, but after that it feels too small.

We can't add a main street, and the shops can't really expand at this point without towering over everything else. I guess they could add more Islands like they have for the photo mode, but going to the airport always seems like a hassle.

Kimyonaakuma

Anti-Matter

@Kimyonaakuma
"It's nice building up the island for the beginning "story" section, but after that it feels too small."

Indeed.
After i compared with Portal Knights, the size of island in ACNH was around 110 x 110 squares while the smallest size of island in Portal Knights was 128 x 128 blocks. When i covered all surface with 128 x 128 blocks, it was so small and i could see the edge of the island from far away.

Anti-Matter

Mountain_Man

Clyde_Radcliffe wrote:

Mountain_Man wrote:

VoidofLight wrote:

I mean, even in every day things, New Horizons just feels lacking compared to previous games.

In what way? What variety of activities were available in New Leaf that are missing from New Horizons?

Getting coffee at Brewsters and talking to animals about their day/unique dialogue
Happy Home Showcase
Enacting town ordinances
Redesign the town hall
Visit the shopping street and all the missing shops, seeing villagers who moved out shopping
Bury a time capsule
Wash Gracie's car

There was a lot... A LOT more to do in Animal Crossing New Leaf on a day to day basis, especially for those of us who don't care that much for the designing side of things. I'm sure I've missed a load of things aside from these.

You're really stretching things here. Most of these "activities" you list here, like talking to Booker or Copper, enacting town ordinances, reading your town history, changing the appearance of town structures, talking to Resetti, getting coffee at Brewsters, animals visiting your house to say the same random things every time, etc. were not exactly engaging and were only something you did every once in a while. If I wanted, I could list all the activities in New Horizons that are not in New Leaf like

interacting with Wisp and finding his sprites
talking to Celeste
collecting bugs and fish for Flick and CJ
wishing on shooting stars and collecting the fragments next morning
interacting with regular town visitors
playing the treasure hunt game
collecting crafting recipes
crafting and customizing items
digging up clams to use as bait for fishing
sculpting your town terrain
collecting items for crafting
placing ramps
digging up Gulliver's phone parts
building custom paths that animals will actually follow
decorate the exterior of your residents' yards
planting and harvesting pumpkins
visiting mystery islands
checking the ATM at the town center for new specialty items
balloon presents that are actually worth shooting down (no more stupid balloon items!)
finding Gullivarrr's phone in the water
etc.
etc.

I think you get the idea. While you might prefer the activities in one game over another, to claim that one game has more activities than the other is not correct.

The Mountain Man

FroZtedFlake

@Mountain_Man @Clyde_Radcliffe I agree with both of you but honestly, if New Leaf had better online, I'd like it better than New Horizons, it does just have a bit more to do overall, that isn't saying that ACNH doesn't have a lot to do, because things like terraforming and placing furniture outside are monumental. But if they ported New Leaf to Switch and added better online, and possibly enhanced the graphics a tad, I'd get it and play it more than ACNH. I don't know about WW or the original GC version as I haven't played em, but I quite like City Folk (Not as much as ACNH) though it may be nostalgia.

Games I'm playing right now:
Tears of the Kingdom - Switch

Kingdom Hearts 2 - PS4
Ace Attorney Trilogy - Switch

Clyde_Radcliffe

Mountain_Man wrote:

Clyde_Radcliffe wrote:

Mountain_Man wrote:

VoidofLight wrote:

Happy Home Showcase
Enacting town ordinances
Redesign the town hall
Bury a time capsule
Wash Gracie's car

You're really stretching things here. Most of these "activities" you list here, like talking to Booker or Copper, enacting town ordinances, reading your town history, changing the appearance of town structures, talking to Resetti, getting coffee at Brewsters, animals visiting your house to say the same random things every time, etc. were not exactly engaging and were only something you did every once in a while. If I wanted, I could list all the activities in New Horizons that are not in New Leaf like

interacting with Wisp and finding his sprites
talking to Celeste
collecting bugs and fish for Flick and CJ
wishing on shooting stars and collecting the fragments next morning
interacting with regular town visitors
playing the treasure hunt game
collecting crafting recipes
crafting and customizing items
digging up clams to use as bait for fishing
sculpting your town terrain
collecting items for crafting
placing ramps
digging up Gulliver's phone parts
building custom paths that animals will actually follow
decorate the exterior of your residents' yards
planting and harvesting pumpkins
visiting mystery islands
checking the ATM at the town center for new specialty items
balloon presents that are actually worth shooting down (no more stupid balloon items!)
finding Gullivarrr's phone in the water
etc.
etc.

I think you get the idea. While you might prefer the activities in one game over another, to claim that one game has more activities than the other is not correct.

But many of the activities you list were in New Leaf as well such as bug collecting for CJ and Flick's parents, Wisp, Gulliver, Shooting Stars, interacting with villagers, Treasure Hunt (you could do it on Tortimer's Island) ATM items (you would just buy them from shops instead)

I still think New Leaf had a lot more content overall and personally don't think crafting and collapsible weapons are an improvement, but that's just personal taste. I think all the activities I listed were engaging and made the village feel more alive. New Horizons feels in many ways dead and lifeless in comparison and the activities are unbalanced, focusing on designing at the expense of everything else. Just my opinion anyway.

Clyde_Radcliffe

Clyde_Radcliffe

FroZtedFlakerZz wrote:

@Mountain_Man @Clyde_Radcliffe I agree with both of you but honestly, if New Leaf had better online, I'd like it better than New Horizons, it does just have a bit more to do overall, that isn't saying that ACNH doesn't have a lot to do, because things like terraforming and placing furniture outside are monumental. But if they ported New Leaf to Switch and added better online, and possibly enhanced the graphics a tad, I'd get it and play it more than ACNH. I don't know about WW or the original GC version as I haven't played em, but I quite like City Folk (Not as much as ACNH) though it may be nostalgia.

GameCube Animal Crossing is actually hilarious and different enough that it can be played alongside the other games. The villagers can be incredibly rude and grumpy in it and it can take a long time and a lot effort to make friends with them. It actually has the most holidays and biggest map of any of the games! Obviously it lacks quality of life improvements but I recommend trying it if you can because it has such a different and weird feel compared to the other games. It's definitely the most quirky one.

Clyde_Radcliffe

FroZtedFlake

@Clyde_Radcliffe I've seen some of the villager phrases in screenshots, and some of them made me snicker a bit because the other games are careful not to actually be mean or rude but that game just says it like it is

Games I'm playing right now:
Tears of the Kingdom - Switch

Kingdom Hearts 2 - PS4
Ace Attorney Trilogy - Switch

Clyde_Radcliffe

FroZtedFlakerZz wrote:

@Clyde_Radcliffe I've seen some of the villager phrases in screenshots, and some of them made me snicker a bit because the other games are careful not to actually be mean or rude but that game just says it like it is

They sometimes stole your items/bells and randomly paint the roof of your house a different colour too. Wolfgang once made me buy an apple off him for all my bells I was carrying because I lost a quiz with him and then laughed at me.

Clyde_Radcliffe

VoidofLight

@Clyde_Radcliffe you effectively hit it on the nose as to why I feel New Horizons has less.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

VoidofLight

@Jackpaza0508 I mean, photo stands won’t really keep me playing. Activities are, and in that case.. new horizons is severely lacking in them.

Kimyonaakuma

@Jackpaza0508 Didn't we just get those in the latest update? Don't really make custom designs myself but I think it's an option.

Kimyonaakuma

jedgamesguy

I... unlocked the credits two days ago.

I'm that far behind everyone else here.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

VoidofLight

One nitpick I have with New Horizons itself is the Hourly music. I'm not a real big fan of the main title theme being mixed into all the hourly songs, since it really just makes them all feel similar or like they same exact song. Some of the songs are different from one another though, like the 3 a.m. song and the 6 p.m. song.. which happen to probably be my favorite songs in that ost. I wish the game let people switch the hourly music to the other game's music through a nook phone app or something.

BrittGOAL14

@TheJGG That’s the beauty of Animal Crossing games. You play at your own pace.

Switch Name - Brittany.
Island Name - Derry.
Dream Address - DA-5536-3403-5812

ACNH Catalog

Switch Friend Code: SW-7041-9015-5250 | 3DS Friend Code: 0619-3807-4819 | My Nintendo: BrittGOAL | Nintendo Network ID: BrittGOAL | Twitter:

jedgamesguy

@BrittGOAL14 Very true. I usually play video games extremely quickly; if there's a game that on average takes eighty hours to beat, I'd take sixty... but Animal Crossing forces the pace to slow down significantly because it operates in real time and things like deliveries are rolled over to the next day. I've spent about fifty hours in so far and haven't gotten too burnt out yet.

At times I even prefer the brisker pace of RPGs and action games, because it feels extremely gratifying to make significant progress in one sitting, which isn't possible in Animal Crossing. But I enjoy that this game is the perfect antithesis to what I usually play, and so it makes for a nice distraction when I play it for thirty minutes a day or so.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic