Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 5,021 to 5,040 of 69,988

MarcelRguez

There's this new SMD video in which he contemplates the possibility of the NX using a custom version of AMD's Radeon RX 470 GPU.

Now, I'm not exactly a big fan of the guy or of his petty one-sided war with Eurogamer, but I have to admit that he makes some valid points. Besides that, I would be all over a Nintendo system with those specs, even if it means paying $400 for the console. There's a compilation of rumors pointing at the NX being more powerful than a PS4 in the video's description.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

dtjive

I saw that video- pretty much gave up straight away when he said how he thinks Nintendo will use a "budget" RX 470 and how that fits the rumours of "industry leading chips" whilst the Tegra doesn't.

Firstly is that (and I'll admit I don't know much about this) but the term budget probably does not reflect that the chip can be "industry leading". He seems to use that rumour has support for why it can't be the tegra, despite the fact that it probably would also rule out a budget chip no? Second is I'm pretty sure the eurogamer rumour did suggest it was possible to achieve 1080p, 60fps with a Tegra X1 esp if it is going to be custom designed.

In general SMD just appears to follow the general rule of thumb of more rumours circulating one argument must mean that it is more likely than something that has been rumoured less often. Whilst sometimes that can be true, there is also likely to be lots of cases when that doesn't make sense. For example, a lot of people were/still are expecting the NX to be more powerful than the current gen so it would make sense to 'create rumours' that support that. Secondly, it makes sense for people who are creating rumours to copy existing ones to aim to give it more authenticity.

I'm not saying eurogamer is necessarily right about the NX btw, but I think something that sticks out in my mind as to why I think it has a lot of credence was that it was against the grain of the current consensus at the time. We were all expecting the NX to be a powerhouse that would blow PS4/Xbox away- but nope- it suggested the exact opposite.

dtjive

LzWinky

I suppose I spoke out of line there. Sorry

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

MarcelRguez

@dtjive He's discrediting Tegra's status as an "industry-leading chip" due to its lack of power, not because of its price, if that's what you mean. And while I agree with everything else you mention (especially your third paragraph), I also think that if the NX turns out to be a home console and not what Eurogamer describes, then there's no reason whatsoever for it to be weaker than current gen systems. I can't come up with an example of a new gen console that was weaker than the most powerful system of the previous generation. It would be a new low for Nintendo.

MarcelRguez

Samurai_Goroh

All I really wanted was a new home console from Nintendo. But, I hope there's more to it than just the "does 1080p like a charm" angle. Some uniqueness is expected from Nintendo after all. If not the hybrid thing, I hope they have something new on the motion controls to show, something worthwhile to upgrade the Wii Remote Plus or the Wii U GamePad.

Samurai_Goroh

MarcelRguez

@Samurai_Goroh Whatever it is, I'd like them to focus 100% on one of the two aspecs: either it's a regular, relatively beefy console, or a new concept that will change the way we play Nintendo games. No more middle-grounds and half-commitments like the 3DS and Wii U.

MarcelRguez

ntdojoe

@gcunit It's not "personal advertising", I obviously don't get any money from this. As I said, I created this concept to give people an idea of what NX could be and to start a discussion.

@ProjectX1991 Thank you man. You have any suggestions for it? I'm still not entirely happy with the name for their operating system :'D

Check out my big NX concept on http://ntdojoe.wordpress.com.
Concept includes Nintendo Portable, Nintendo Ultimate, NintendOS, Miitopia, RePlay, N Cam and more.

Twitter:

Octane

@ntdojoe Sorry, but those are just the rules. We have to draw a line somewhere and the rule is not to link to personal sites, projects, YouTube channels or anything along those lines. We don't want to open the floodgates to people that do come here with the intention of using these forums as a big billboard. If you have any further questions, please use the contact form; https://www.nintendolife.com/contact and let's get back on the topic.

By the way, nobody's stopping you from posting your own ideas or speculation, that's what this thread is for after all. Just don't post links to your own site in the comments; however, you can post them in your signature.

Octane

MarcelRguez

@BiasedSonyFan Agree. It would be very redundant to have yet another device doing the same things, playing the same games. Reggie's comments about that were very telling. However, I'm not too fond of looking at past history to predict the future, especially when talking about companies like Nintendo.

MarcelRguez

ntdojoe

@Octane I do understand the issue, though I think there's a difference between someone linking to a concept to start a conversation —which, I assume, is what forums are for— and someone linking to something unrelated to the topic or discussion only to promote him or herself or even profit from it.

I'll write everything in the concept in a post then, but needless to say I find this very dumb. Obviously not the end of the world though, so that's good.

Concept includes Nintendo Portable, Nintendo Ultimate, NintendOS, Miitopia, RePlay, N Cam and more.

Twitter:

ProjectX1991

The more I read, the more I hope that the NX will have more of a draw to it than just a home-console/portable hybrid. There's got to be an extra layer to "changing the way we play" than just the fact you can play on the go.

I'm so sceptical of this view by some that the handheld will be the main focus - I want a home console primarily, not the other way around.

ProjectX1991

ntdojoe

I actually hope they will not make another new type of controller for the sake of making a new controller. We've got to a controller with its own screen, I guess we've had everything now. Let's stop before getting gimmicks that are nothing more than that.

The actual killer feature of NX will be that it's one platform, means we no longer have to buy games and shell out money for several systems and also that software droughts are virtually a thing of the past. Developers would love NX, and so would we.

To sum it up, I've always thought that Nintendo should focus on and impress with their games and that their hardware shouldn't be anything more than the stage for them.

Edited on by ntdojoe

Twitter:

erv

ntdojoe wrote:

What? @erv

I wanted to see what you were saying but couldn't due to mod edits. So the post became blank, which became the subject of my tongue in cheek remark.

Though I understand why the rule exists, so no worries.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

TuVictus

Yeah im hoping that if it's a hybrid then that'll be it's gimmick. We don't need another weird non conventional controller. Unless it's like the gamepad which did everything a regular controller could with the addition of its screen. Minus the triggers.

TuVictus

MarcelRguez

Operative wrote:

Minus the triggers.

Don't get me started. I usually play games on my PC with an Xbox 360 controller, analog triggers and all. Then I go back to the Wii U and... urgh.

MarcelRguez

TuVictus

A gamepad with a 720p screen and proper triggers would make me so happy

TuVictus

Samurai_Goroh

Yoshi x Raving Rabbids is something I would like to play, but it just sounds too farfetched.

Samurai_Goroh

gcunit

@MarcelRguez From my observation post, the content of that 'rumour' seems very credible to me. Though a Yoshi x Rabid Rabbits crossover seems kinda hard to imagine.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

MarcelRguez

@gcunit A portable console comparable in power to PS4, even at 720p/900p resolution? I can't wrap my head around that. How would that even be possible?

Other than that, I don't see FFXV making the cut, it's not like it's running in Unreal 4, they'd have to port the engine too and I don't think Square is willing to do that much job. The game has eaten enough resources as it is, porting it to even more devices might not be worth the effort.

MarcelRguez

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic