Forums

Topic: Wrestling Fans Unite!

Posts 1,541 to 1,560 of 1,960

Tasuki

@the_shpydar I thought Teal signed with AEW but yeah I agree with Tessa she is amazing.

As for TNA or Impact or whatever they're calling it nowadays is on the Pursuit Network since Anthem Sports owns that as well as TNA. If you don't get that network then it's aired on Twitch as well.

I am not sure if I get the network that has MLW, I have Sling but If I do I will check it out for sure.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

bimmy-lee

@Tasuki - You know something funny/sad? I honestly assumed WWE owned at least some portion of Cody’s actual name, and they were just choosing to be petty in this instance. I do find it a tad bit hard to believe they don’t at least own some marketing rights to his name, but maybe he was smart about what he signed, or they treated him a bit different because he’s a son of a son of a plumber daddy.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

Tasuki

@bimmy-lee The only name referring to Cody that WWE owns is Stardust. As @the_shpydar said WWE likes to be able to own their I.P. and they see their wrestlers as characters in a tv show or comic book for example. As Vince said to Ted Turner one day when Ted told Vince I am in the Wrestling business, That's nice Ted but I am in the Entertainment business.

One famous example of WWE owning the names is the infamous new Diesel and Razor Ramon angle when Kevin Nash and Scott Hall went to WCW.

My Backlog

bimmy-lee

I’m at a point in life where I have to choose between gaming and wrestling in my free time, so I don’t watch nearly as much as I’d like. That’s why the insane weekly time commitment WWE requires wore me down over time to the point that I don’t care much about what’s going on anymore. I’m excited about what AEW can offer, and I’ll spend my network money on quarterly AEW PPVs if they suck me in with their digestible weekly programming.

@Tasuki - That’s a great quote, and further evidence to me that Vince’s stuntmen should be covered by the actor’s guild as they portray sports entertainers on television.

I get it though, WWE wants to own the IP, whether they create or acquire it. That’s kind of why I assumed they owned some rights to Cody’s own name, and I thought maybe they were choosing to forego those rights so as to not advertise his name. But the factual explanations here make much more sense.

I went with the Dude Love figure for my son. He was 40% off, so it was an easy choice. He joins a stable with Macho, Daniel Bryan, and the Nasty Boys.

limby-bee was a jerk.

Tasuki

@bimmy-lee Yeah that's the point I am in life. Take in account if you follow WWE regularly for week thats 3 hours for Raw, 2 hours for Smackdown, and now 2 hours for NXT that's 7 hours a week on WWE. Now that might not sound like alot but add in time for work, family, personal etc. thats alot for just one thing. For me it got to the point where I wasn't enjoying WWE anymore, it almost felt like a chore to watch. Oh look Brock is Champ again. How are the going to try and force Roman on us this week. Why aren't they using so and so like they should. I started questioning myself why am I watching it if I am not enjoying it especially since I can use that time to do something I do enjoy.

Don't get me wrong I still follow it, I keep up with it online, and watch wrestling YouTubers recap videos and have a good idea what's going on and I am ok with not watching it.

Since I found out about AEW I genuinely look forward to each of their shows and if they keep the constant on how it is I will keep watching it. I also a few weeks ago found that I can watch NJPW on one of the channels Sling carries and I have been enjoying that as well. It doesn't feel like a chore.

Will I go back to WWE? That depends on them really if they step up their game due to AEW I may but if it's the same b.s. night after night probably not and that's tough for me to say that as a life long WWE fan.

As for Cody, I don't think they can copyright his legal name as I said before. Dashing Cody they could but Cody Rhoads. That's why alot of the older wrestlers did legally change their names Warrior being one of the firsts, but other like Steve Austin (Who's birth name is Steve Williams) and Chyna have done it. Heck even Ryback did it after he left the WWE (whose birth name was Ryan Reeves). That way can keep some control when they leave WWE.

My Backlog

bimmy-lee

So it sounds like Tony Shavonny is teaming up with AEW. Assuming so, Skeevone might be their biggest signing yet. I like Tony Skavonnie more now than I did back in the day, and I think Anthony will provide an excellent backtrack for JR solos and riffs. Shavone can carry the load, and JR can call the high spots. I think it’s going to be really great.

limby-bee was a jerk.

Tasuki

So Jon Moxley has a staph infection and has been removed from All Out. Pac will be facing Kenny Omega and supposedly Moxley will be back in time for AEW's debut on TNT.

My Backlog

bimmy-lee

That’s too bad for Moxley, but that Omega/Pac match is going to be great! Glad to hear he’ll be back in time for TV, hopefully sooner. I feel like he’s going to be a central figure and have a great run this fall to help get the ball rolling.

limby-bee was a jerk.

Tasuki

@bimmy-lee My only problem with the Pac/Omega match (and any match that they have to replace someone for whatever reason) Is that there isn't any build up for it. It's just a match. It will probably be a great match don't get me wrong and I will enjoy it but now it I am not hyped for it like I was for Moxley/Omega and thus probably won't be as invested into it but of course his health is more important. Hopefully they just don't kill the angle like WWE does when someone gets injured and AEW uses that storyline for when they are on TNT.

In other wrestling news It appears Kanta is the newest member of Bullet Club which can be a good thing. I am interested to see how he does as a heel. Also Kota Ibushi has become the G1 Climax Champion after a great match with Jay White. I was hoping that Jay White would win, but I am not to upset that Kota won. Overall the tournament was great all around.

My Backlog

bimmy-lee

@Tasuki - Yeah, it stinks to lose all the story between Moxley and Omega and jump into this match cold, but these two should be able to make chicken salad out of this situation in the ring. Moxley can pick right back up with Omega when he’s ready, and we’ll get a nice match that can maybe serve as an appetizer to an Omega/Pac feud in the future, though they may have to work a non finish in this one to stay clean. I’d love to see those two work an extended program together. I’m a big fan of the way Pac works, he’s a vicious, natural, believable heel. He’s explosive, athletic, and lays everything in deep. He’s kind of a modern day Dynamite Kid, and I don’t use that compliment lightly. I know he’s studied Dynamite extensively.

limby-bee was a jerk.

Tasuki

@bimmy-lee Yeah nothing against Pac I am sure he will be a suitable replacement. I have seen a few of Pac's matches outside of WWE so I know he can do some good things it was just Inwas looking forward to Moxley/Omega. It's like asking your parents for ice cream and they get you vanilla instead of chocolate kinda of thing. It's still good just that chocolate is so much better. Lol

My Backlog

bimmy-lee

@Tasuki - Ha, yep, good analogy, it’s still ice cream, but the chocolate would have been so much better. I knew you weren’t dismissing Pac, just bummed out we’re not getting a highly anticipated match they’ve been building for months when we were supposed to get it. I just used the mere mention of his name to go off on a brief tangent about how much I like watching him work. Ah well, as Steve Austin says as Ice Man King Parsons used to say, “It be’s that way sometimes.”

Do you listen to David Shoemaker’s pod? He talked about the heart punch and Ox Baker a couple episodes ago just a few days after we talked about both of them here. If the heart punch can’t get over as a finisher these days, it would make an incredible set up move for The Fiend’s mandible claw.

limby-bee was a jerk.

Tasuki

@bimmy-lee No I don't listen to Podcasts much. If I do it's usually when I am surfing around on YouTube. And yeah it would be an incredible set up move.

My Backlog

bimmy-lee

@Tasuki - Ah, I shouldn’t have assumed. I’ll stop quoting things from wrestling pods then, as you probably won’t get the references. Podcasting isn’t a medium for everyone, but please allow me to be the 250th rassle dork to recommend the Prichard pod as some excellent background noise.

limby-bee was a jerk.

Tasuki

@bimmy-lee No worries at all. In all honestly I forget about Podcasts. That's something those dang hip youngins do, well back in my time..... Lol Yeah I just forget that they are a source of info nowadays lol.

My Backlog

bimmy-lee

I’ve been thinking about, and watching a lot of Foley’s work recently, mostly focused on his time in WCW as Cactus Jack and his early Mankind stuff, as well as what’s available on Waylon Mercy. I’ve been wondering if there’s still room in wrestling to get an all in, vicious, deranged gimmick over? Not necessarily a monster gimmick (though early Mankind skewed heavily towards monster), but an actual person who’s believably scary and deranged. I thought Bray and Harper might be able to pull it off early on, but it fizzled out on them multiple times. Is anyone working effectively deranged right now?

@Tasuki - I’m officially “over the hill” next month, but I’ve always enjoyed podcasts. Probably because a sport writer I read jumped into podcasting pretty early, and it happened to be at a time when I had a long commute, partially on public transit. I use them as background noise when I’m working on stuff. The weekly WWE recap pods have kept me remotely in the loop for quite a while now. I just listen to what happened during any given show or PPV then decide what (if anything at all) sounds interesting, and watch it.

limby-bee was a jerk.

Tasuki

Great promo by Omega about Moxley's injury.

My Backlog

bimmy-lee

Real nice. I liked when he talked about being a pro, and how Moxley wrestled 24 matches in the last month leading up to their match. Nice shade of modern kayfabe, it’s something I enjoy about every AEW presentation and promo I’ve seen. If this was happening in WWE, they’d have Pac attack Omega back stage, keep Moxley off camera until Mania and never address his injury or talk about his match with Omega again, then put Omega on Sunday Night Heat for three years after his match with Pac.

limby-bee was a jerk.

Tasuki

@bimmy-lee I like how it will keep Moxley and Omega's feud on our minds even with Moxley out. It's like you said if this was WWE they would have just had Moxley disappear and then when he came back start a new feud with someone else and never giving a proper closer to this.

With Omega doing these promos I fully expect Moxley to come after Omega once he's healed. Basically hey you wanna talk **** about me while I can't right ok well here I am.

My Backlog

bimmy-lee

@Tasuki - Totally, it keeps their rivalry relevant while also building the pop when he does come back. Hope he keeps it up. I’m starting to get pretty excited about All Out on Saturday. I hope I can watch it live. I’m interested in every single match for one reason or another, and I’m definitely excited to see my guy Evil Uno again with Dark Order. The two marquee matches should be really great. I can’t help but feel Jericho/Page are going to tear the place down, and Omega/Pac are going to kick the crap out of each other. Should be a lot of fun.

limby-bee was a jerk.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic