Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 9,281 to 9,300 of 12,088

kkslider5552000

Ralizah wrote:

Having nope'd out of the ME trilogy after the second game, though, I have no opinion on the original ending to ME3 itself, although the idea of a developer releasing an alternative ending to appease angry fans irritates me to no end. I hate cowardice.

The point I've always argued for is that they DECIDED to make the ending they did and then they DECIDED to change it. While I don't know who decided what necessarily (and I've not personally looked into that aspect of it), I don't immediately assume it is any less of a valid artistic intent to change one's mind. Certainly plenty of times where I could think something and then when I look at other people's reactions, I agree that my previous opinion was dumb. Makes sense to me that writing would work the same way.

But I do agree if it was purely because of backlash rather than an earnest re-write, that it is cowardly. But that cowardice only proves to me that Mass Effect 3 is a corporate product made by EA, which was already obvious before that change. And it gets weird because of how its come out before that sometimes people at EA would make decisions and then the developer would have to pretend THEY made the decision, and also IIRC the main writer changed for 3, so this was not likely the intent of the writer of the previous two games this was building towards (especially since much of the foreshadowing to justify it takes place only in 3). But whatever happened, what I got from it in hindsight was a version of that ending that didn't contradict what it was inherently going for in the first place but just made a bit more sense for a Mass Effect conclusion, so it seemed like an earnest creative decision.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Pizzamorg

They made the dev team crunch like crazy to come up with a new ending, because people cried on the internet. Just an absolute sorry state of affairs.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

kkslider5552000

I hope you wrote that to contradict my point based on actual things confirmed to have happened and not because you ignored my post for no reason lol.

I mean, if they actually did, **** EA on that one. Keep the ending being complete **** if the alternative is EA crunching you to appeal angry people on the internet.

Pizzamorg

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I hope you wrote that to contradict my point based on actual things confirmed to have happened and not because you ignored my post for no reason lol.

I mean, if they actually did, **** EA on that one. Keep the ending being complete **** if the alternative is EA crunching you to appeal angry people on the internet.

https://kotaku.com/after-backlash-mass-effect-3-devs-say-team...

kkslider5552000

Pizzamorg wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I mean, unfortunate crunch aside, I don't think that answers things that clearly. I mostly wanted to know if the writers (particularly the head writer) wanted it changed or agreed at all with the criticisms towards it, and all this seems to say is that people at Bioware were split on the issue. So it could be one of those cases where enough important creative people wanted to change it, and thus people lower on the team who just wanted to take a break of some sort could not. That is one of the things that has regularly lead to crunch, people having to crunch because some people on the team wanted to do some more work and guilt over going home early while co-workers were still hard at work.

They shouldn't have crunched regardless, but if the writers wanted to change it, I don't see an issue outside of that.

There is a nearly half hour video in there, which presumably has a lot more than the article, so I might watch that.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Pizzamorg

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Pizzamorg wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I mean, unfortunate crunch aside, I don't think that answers things that clearly. I mostly wanted to know if the writers (particularly the head writer) wanted it changed or agreed at all with the criticisms towards it, and all this seems to say is that people at Bioware were split on the issue. So it could be one of those cases where enough important creative people wanted to change it, and thus people lower on the team who just wanted to take a break of some sort could not. That is one of the things that has regularly lead to crunch, people having to crunch because some people on the team wanted to do some more work and guilt over going home early while co-workers were still hard at work.

They shouldn't have crunched regardless, but if the writers wanted to change it, I don't see an issue outside of that.

My main takeaway, based on all of the reports at the time and now, is that the ending was never necessarily what the team wanted but rather whatever they could achieve in the context of the pressures they were under, whether that be by EA or fan expectations. It is suggested a bunch of stuff was cut at the time and then was partially restored when the DC was made and I feel this important context to have, because if it is the ending the team weren't particularly happy with in the first place because they had to compromise on their vision, it'd probably make it easier for them to just say "***** it" and make whatever corporate mandates they were given to tweak things further.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

kkslider5552000

That also makes complete sense. Though it does make whoever made them rush the game out (this I've also heard, that ME3 was relatively rushed) seem really obnoxious to have as a boss.

"Hey, don't care, get it out by January. Doesn't matter if the ending is too brief, get it done!"
Later: "Hey, the fans are demanding fixing the ending. We have multiplayer and a huge franchise here, we want to keep this thing alive, improve that ending!"

I'd be so mad.

delaying games is good, actually, but i hope that isn't an unpopular opinion in 2021

HotGoomba

Unpopular opinion: The Wii was a masterpiece. Sort of.

The link on my profile got even worse.

Don't click on it.

Or you can, at your own risk.

kkslider5552000

HotGoomba wrote:

Wii was top tier stuff when you actually found the good games (on top of being top tier retro gaming machine). Unfortunately half of the best 3rd party games combined seemed to sell worse than like....Carnival Games.

Anti-Matter

HotGoomba wrote:

Agree.
Wii is one of Nintendo masterpiece.
I have 52 USA wii games so far.
Beautiful machine design, beautiful white game box retail.

Anti-Matter

Pizzamorg

kkslider5552000 wrote:

That also makes complete sense. Though it does make whoever made them rush the game out (this I've also heard, that ME3 was relatively rushed) seem really obnoxious to have as a boss.

"Hey, don't care, get it out by January. Doesn't matter if the ending is too brief, get it done!"
Later: "Hey, the fans are demanding fixing the ending. We have multiplayer and a huge franchise here, we want to keep this thing alive, improve that ending!"

I'd be so mad.

delaying games is good, actually, but i hope that isn't an unpopular opinion in 2021

Yeah, that is one of those things as someone who has never worked for a games company, I just can't put the two and two together on. And I mean this across the industry, not just EA, but almost every company.

Like, you would assume they have crunched the numbers, ran the risk scenarios etc but every time a game comes out broken, or unpolished or partially finished and clearly needs like a period of time further in the oven - I am just like... how does this keep happening?

Every time I just wish I could see the data behind the business decisions, to understand what data they were were using to come to the conclusion that releasing the game in this state was better than delaying it for x time and releasing it finished and polished.

kkslider5552000

It's what happens when people who don't know gaming and only care about short term profit lead gaming companies.

Pizzamorg

My unpopular opinion:

There seems to be this modern consensus that "open world = bad". Seemingly, primarily, due to a combination of oversaturation and lack of innovation. The whole concept of a "lack of innovation" is a topic for another discussion, because gamers love to pick and choose when something is "faithful" and something is "homogenous" so whatever on that regard.

But my unpopular opinion is "open world not bad?". I'm not saying every open world game is completely perfect or flawless or whatever else. But I dunno - maybe I am a bit on the spectrum - but there is just a simple joy to me in an open world game. There is almost no friction, it is just "here map, clear map" and that is your whole loop. There is such wonderful, joyous, simplicity in that for me saved usually just for shovelware.

I just think it is often hard when you go back to linear games and have to figure out a very linear path to everything - figure out the one solution they will allow you to solve a problem, when you come fresh off an open world game, that lets you just want to play how you want in their sandbox. Choose your path, choose your solution. Have some fun.

I took a week off work earlier in the year to just grind out Biomutant, I played it while listening to podcasts or songs on Spotify and it was just lovely, getting up each and every day, sitting in front of my PC and making very clear, constant, progress each day towards an end goal.

I just think it is such a pure pleasure, that even despite the oversaturation, is just missing in so many other places.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

MusicalFeline

My unpopular opinion: I really don't like Super Mario 64, and I don't think people like it as much as they think they do.

Personally, I hated the controls. It just feels like Mario is constantly walking on ice, slipping all over the place, the jump feels awkward, and the long jump, my favorite move of all time, feels uncontrolled and loose.
The level design also felt poor. On the surface level, the open-worldish feel of getting to run around searching for stars seems great, but I found it awful, and this is what also made me dislike Super Mario Odyssey. It just feels so disconnected and unlike games like Super Mario Sunshine, which gave you a clear objective within this free-roam area, you were left to stumble around until maybe, if you were lucky, you'd find a star.
I'm not going to dog on the graphics, since that's just classic N64 for ya'. And I will admit, the music is fantastic - Koji Kondo did a wonderful job with this one.
This said, I'm glad a lot of people absolutely adore this game. I just didn't find it enjoyable, and I think for some, they only really like it because of the nostalgia. I only got it on Switch when Super Mario 3D All-Stars came out, so it was 100% new to me.

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but hey, this is the place for unpopular gaming opinions, and well, that's mine.

MusicalFeline

HotGoomba

@MusicalFeline I like the game, but I 100% agree with you.

Don't click on it.

Buizel

@MusicalFeline Personally I respect that people can still enjoy Super Mario 64.

Mario 64 was probably my first 3D game as a child and I remember being absolutely enamoured with it for years. I never owned an N64 myself, and went on to get a PSone and Gamecube - and even through the years of playing these I looked back with fond memories of Mario 64.

But when I finally got back to it (first with Mario 64 DS 2004 and then with the Wii virtual console a couple of years later)...I was disappointed. The game is still somewhat enjoyable but it just didn't meet the standards I'd set for it, nor did it blow any 3D games of the time out of the water IMO.

Essentially, I find it to be revolutionary for the time but not so much something I'd go back to for more than a couple of hours (compare with something like Super Mario World which I think is arguably less revolutionary, but I still believe to be the best 2D Mario to this date). There are even other 3D platformers for the fifth generation that I'd much rather play, such as the Spyro trilogy.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

Zuljaras

I do not get why people like the No More Heroes series. It looks ugly and from the videos I watched also seems stupid. All in all a meme game.

Edited on by Zuljaras

Snatcher

@MusicalFeline I to like the game, But I agree with you.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

HotGoomba

@Zuljaras The goofiness is on purpose, and the graphics are received differently based on people's taste. I like the graphics, but I haven't played the game so can't speak on the gameplay.

Don't click on it.

Snatcher

The issue is not that there are to many FE characters in smash, the problem is they didn't pick good FE characters for the game.

Because we have quit a few mario characters, Legend of Zelda Characters, and so and so, I think if we were to get 3-4 more Metroid picks, As long as they were interesting characters, I couldn't care less,.

Idk if this is unpopular or not LOL.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic