Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 9,241 to 9,260 of 12,088

Anti-Matter

Smash Bros fighting style is very unattractive, unpredictable and unfair by put all players fighting each other.
I want a fair fight by 1 vs 1 like Street Fighter, but even 1 vs 1 from Smash Bros doesn't look interesting at all to play.

Anti-Matter

Pizzamorg

Losermagnet wrote:

@Pizzamorg there's much deeper conversation here, that I'm not prepared for. Suffice it to say I guess I never saw movies, books, music, or video games as passive mediums because they all require the participant to interpret. It's just in the case of video games that interpretation involves motor skills.

I guess creating music requires motor skills, maybe video games are more similar to that? (I'm thinking outloud here)

In any case, using the movie comparison since its still fresh in my brain, someone being able to enjoy a silent movie by overlooking the lack of sound is analogous to someone being able to enjoy a 3d platformer with a fussy camera (maybe. I'm still thinking out loud here lol). Both exist because of limitations that existed during their respective time periods. Although crummy 3d camera controls really do suck 😑

I guess the distinction I am trying to make here, is that if you press play on a movie, that movie will go until it finishes or you stop it, regardless of whether you understand it, it will still complete. That is why you can sit back and simply bask in what the film offers, and what it achieved at the time.

You can't necessarily do that with every game. If there is a dated element or elements, this may actively block your engagement, in a way just not present in a film. You could argue that comprehension and physical blockers are the same thing, but I don't necessarily agree, because, you can still see that film to the end regardless and appreciate elements of it. Something you aren't going to do necessarily, if a game is running in 20 fps and is a collection of unintelligible polygons - for example.

The exception here is if you change it into a passive medium, like say watching a playthrough on YouTube, but that really confirms my point.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Losermagnet

@Pizzamorg you've made some interesting points that i'll have to think about more. It makes sense but I can't help feeling like, on a personal level, I've put way more effort into understanding movies than I have with games 😂

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

Sunsy

I like the arenas mode in Apex Legends more than the battle royale mode. This is coming from someone who actually likes the occasional BR game of Apex.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

Anti-Matter

Despite i like Nintendo Switch games, but as games collector, Nintendo Switch game box design was the worst from all my Nintendo games (NDS, 3DS, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U).
The red spine and generic fonts from Nintendo Switch are really ruined the beauty of game in box when being displayed on the shelf.
Also, I'm not a fan of Long rectangle size of game box like PSP style.

Anti-Matter

Pizzamorg

Losermagnet wrote:

@Pizzamorg you've made some interesting points that i'll have to think about more. It makes sense but I can't help feeling like, on a personal level, I've put way more effort into understanding movies than I have with games 😂

I guess at the end of the day, it is an accessibility thing, right? You are using pretty different types of comprehension when it comes to processing a film versus processing a game, and a game has an additional physical/dexterity/motor skill requirement as well. I am sure there are those out there who are simply wired in a way that it is much easier for them to process a text in the form of a game, than they can process a text in a more passive form. Just like how someone may choose to watch the film, rather than read the book, because they require two different types of comprehension levels.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Sunsy

I'm gonna say it, Smurfs: Mission Vileaf may be one of the best games I've played this year. I love the Smurfs, Smurfs: The Lost Village is one of my favorite movies, so I bought the game on PC because I love the series.

After completing the main story today, this game exceeded my expectations. I found this game to be a really fun and polished platformer. I enjoyed it more than the usual cartoon based game.

Filing this under unpopular opinions because licensed games have a negative stigma from the gaming community. I do feel this is one of the better licensed games IMHO, one I think Smurf fans will like.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

Anti-Matter

@Sunsy
Have you tried Smurf Vileaf on Switch or PS4 version ?
I want some fps checking from both version.
Also, is the gameplay easy enough for casual player by Easy difficulty setting ?

Anti-Matter

Sunsy

@Anti-Matter The console versions are delayed to mid-November unfortunately. I do not own a PS4, so I couldn't play that version. The PC version was released yesterday on GOG (the version I have) and Steam. It is a multi-platform game, so what I played should be the same game the consoles are getting.

I thought the game was pretty easy, and I was playing on medium difficulty. Kind of expected being a kids game.

Worth noting the game has different names for difficulty. "Elementary, my dear Smurf" is easy, "Simply Smurfy" is medium, and "A real thorn in your Smurf" is hard.

Edited on by Sunsy

Anti-Matter

@Sunsy
Ah.. That's why I only found PC version gameplay videos from Youtube so far.
It got delayed to mid November 2021 ? 😣
Also, are the previous places revisitable after you finish the game ?

Anti-Matter

Sunsy

@Anti-Matter Yup, you can revisit areas and levels after you finish the game. You can even replay levels as different Smurfs after the story is complete. Levels can be accessed from the map in Smurf village, following signs to travel to them, or previously visited areas from the pause menu.

Yeah, the new date is November 16th. Microids tweeted about the delay.

Buizel

@Sunsy I'm tempted by this game but £35 seems like a lot to ask for a licensed game in this day and age.

What platformers would you compare it to in terms of gameplay / overall quality?

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

Snatcher

Buizel wrote:

@Sunsy I'm tempted by this game but £35 seems like a lot to ask for a licensed game in this day and age.

What platformers would you compare it to in terms of gameplay / overall quality?

I to would like to know this.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Sunsy

@Buizel @Snatcher The core gameplay element is the gizmo Handy Smurf creates, the Smurfizer, which in a way reminded me of Fludd from Super Mario Sunshine. One of things your smurf does is sprays plants that have been contaminated by the Vileaf. Spraying plants makes certain obstacles (like barriers) disappear. This spray also can be used to defeat enemies. There's also an upgrade that will allow you to glide from place to place for a short time, kind of like Fludd.

Potential spoiler, but posting because gameplay mechanic...
Around chapter four, Smurfette actually figures out how to suck up enemies with the Smurfizer, then fires them at other enemies, this also adds a puzzle mechanic by sucking up certain items and aiming them at targets to access new areas.

The Smurfizer can even spray certain plants to create new paths to reach new areas. You spray a contaminated flower for example, and when you keep spraying it grows a path made out of leaves to reach a new area.

The game for most of the part is like an open-ended world. There is usually one path to follow to go from point A to point B, but each level can be fully explored, and Smurfizer upgrades helps find new areas.

There's also mushrooms to bounce on to reach places, and some of the layout reminded me of Sonic. The times where Sonic would bounce from spring to spring. Another level was kinda like a side scroller, but you could move in all four direction. Also, similar to other platformers, Smurfs can stomp on some enemies and break crates. Usually pressing A to jump, then B to stomp (PC uses Xbox inputs on a gamepad, so controller buttons will vary for when the console versions launch).

There are some gameplay of the PC version on YouTube too if you're curious to see the game in action, some PC players have been posting gameplay. I hope my experience gives you an idea what gameplay is like at least. The presentation of the game was really polished, especially since there's no day one patch. The game was complete by release.

Edited on by Sunsy

Snatcher

@Sunsy So its Mario sunshine like? Interesting.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Sunsy

@Snatcher Yeah, the core mechanic of using the Smurfizer. For a licensed game, I'm pleasantly surprised at the amount of polish in it. Smurf village feels like a living breathing world. The smurfs go about their day, chit chat, you'll see then sitting on benches, or resting on the grass. It all feels natural. Presentation of this game is great.

I even laughed when Hefty argued with Brainy during Brainy's levels, it felt faithful to the series. The amount of care they put into this would make any Smurfs fan happy IMO.

Anti-Matter

@NeonPizza
Nintendo Switch game box size and dimension should be as big as PS VITA since the Switch cartridge has similar size and dimension so the cover art for Nintendo Switch can have same rectangle ratio as PS4 cover, not as PSP cover style (long rectangle). Imagine the new Nintendo Switch game cover exactly like PS VITA but with swapped top banner color into red and Switch logo.

Anti-Matter

Buizel

@Sunsy sounds pretty good tbh. I hope the Switch version turns out as polished - I will probably give it a week or so to breathe once released so that I can see what it looks like / how it reviews.

That said, November also has Pokemon and SMTV. Will I find time? x_x

Back to unpopular opinions:

Although lockdown got me into the habit of playing my Switch more in docked mode with the Pro Controller, the sheer beauty of the OLED Switch has had me playing more and more in handheld mode. In doing so, I realised something: I think I prefer the joy-con's d-pad "buttons" to an actual d-pad. Having discrete buttons just feels so much more precise --- this has been particularly noticeable for Tetris Effect. If I want more fluid control I tend to opt for the analog stick instead.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic