Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 9,101 to 9,120 of 12,088

kkslider5552000

I feel like Nintendo could've justified at least a slightly cheaper price, but I'm not offended by it either.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

DiamondJim

Yep looks like I'm in the vast minority here. At least I'm in the right thread then LOL

DiamondJim

HotGoomba

@DiamondJim Oh no, how dare people not have the same views in pricing as you.

Yeah, just because something is not a 3D game or is a puzzle game doesn't mean it's not worth full price. If a rehashed Fifa can be a goshdamn $70 game, I don't see why a well made 2D metroidvania game or a beautiful evolution of one of the most iconic games ever doesn't deserve a $60 price tag.

Pro tip: If you don't think something is worth it's MSRP, just don't buy it or wait for a sale. Nobody gives a damn about a price tag of a game just because it's not a game with beautiful visuals (hell, both Metroid Dread and Tetris Effect have beautiful visuals). And it's not right to say something doesn't deserve a 10/10 just because you disagree with a few small things. It's not like the games will always be $60, the price will eventually go down or the game will go one sale, or it'll be resold for like half the price. I really don't get why people take the time to complain about a game's price tag when they're either gonna wait for a sale anyways, or is the same person to pay full price for a sports game yearly.

Wow I wrote a long comment. Btw this comment might've been a bit harsh lol, this is Unpopular Game Opinions however, people are bound to revolt.

Edited on by HotGoomba

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy there.

Matt_Barber

roy130390 wrote:

@Matt_Barber Depending on the genre, there are many games (shooters, platformers, metroidvanias) that will last about 8-15 hours so I would say that to me it has an average duration. It does fall short to the average open world or RPG in that regard, but I wouldn't say "for a full priced game" at least in comparison to many games that I have experienced. I do agree with what you are saying aside from that though.

Yeah, it's not terribly short and it's also about the same as most previous 2D Metroid games.

Still, the Prime games were a fair bit larger and I guess they're what would set my expectations.

Matt_Barber

VoidofLight

@HotGoomba I fully agree with this. I've had instances where I thought a game wasn't personally worth the price being asked, and due to that I just didn't buy the game simply put. If it was a game I was looking forwards to, I'd either buy it on sale, or buy it second-hand, if I didn't think it was the right price.

Skyward Sword HD is my biggest example, with the game being full priced on Switch, despite the fact that it's barely a remaster. I just skipped it, and bought Monster Hunter Stories 2 instead, mainly because I already didn't enjoy the original Skyward Sword, and I wasn't going to pay 60 dollars for a port.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Pizzamorg

HotGoomba wrote:

@DiamondJim Oh no, how dare people not have the same views in pricing as you.

Yeah, just because something is not a 3D game or is a puzzle game doesn't mean it's not worth full price. If a rehashed Fifa can be a goshdamn $70 game, I don't see why a well made 2D metroidvania game or a beautiful evolution of one of the most iconic games ever doesn't deserve a $60 price tag.

Pro tip: If you don't think something is worth it's MSRP, just don't buy it or wait for a sale. Nobody gives a damn about a price tag of a game just because it's not a game with beautiful visuals (hell, both Metroid Dread and Tetris Effect have beautiful visuals). And it's not right to say something doesn't deserve a 10/10 just because you disagree with a few small things. It's not like the games will always be $60, the price will eventually go down or the game will go one sale, or it'll be resold for like half the price. I really don't get why people take the time to complain about a game's price tag when they're either gonna wait for a sale anyways, or is the same person to pay full price for a sports game yearly.

Wow I wrote a long comment. Btw this comment might've been a bit harsh lol, this is Unpopular Game Opinions however, people are bound to revolt.

I do think the pricing of gaming has become more complex in modern times. Like if one game offers you 40 straight hours of next gen pushing tech and another offers you 10 hours of the most perfected version of a game you’ve ever seen from the late 90s, can these titles really be valued at the same price? That isn’t me suggesting that more content means inherently a better game or that one is inherently worth more than the other, but you’d have to see there is a disparity between the two, even if you don’t agree they aren’t worth the same value.

And maybe my most unpopular opinion of all, is every time a gamer tells another gamer to “not complain”, it makes my blood boil. As gamers, over the last two decades or so, we have been fleeced over and over again. We should never defend the corporations who ripped us off and we should complain every single time we feel hard done by, because if we don’t, they’ll keep doing ***** and ***** things because they aren’t getting any pushback, so it is a win win for them.

And your bold bit is complete nonsense, I am sorry. That is exactly the reason why you would think something doesn’t deserve a 10/10. The score of a game can only be weighted by the person who played it, it isn’t just a 10/10 game because IGN said so. People put way too much weight on the review scores specifically from publications to identify the worth of a product.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Losermagnet

Dark Souls is a perfect game. It's it man. An 11. Bigfoot playing the star spangled banner on a flying-v guitar. With a nacho grande and a coke on the side. It's finely crafted difficulty curve was achieved by Grecian articans responding to Da Vinci's 'Vitruvian Man'. That response specifically? "Git Gud son. If yew kent play Dark Souls yer nuthing." It was the real winner of the 2020 American election, but because of Hugo Chavez and Brie Larson the results were bungled. Now it appears as though only one person voted for a video game to be the leader of a free nation (me. I voted for it. Dark Souls 2024 battleforthesoulofthenation). Hopefully we win because i am so tired of gatekeeping. It's hard work! Can't they design an easy mode!?! That way I can find some time to play Super Mario Sunshine, Pikmin, Breath of the Wild, Pokemon Sword and/or Shield, Super Mario 64, Kirby Star Allies, Hollow Knight, literally every NES game, literally 3/4ths of all SNES games. But we really need this on one game series that started over 12 years ago (cough, cough demons souls cough, cough). Because video games are uncompromising art, not some toy for all ages.

And before anybody responds to my post. Really ask yourselves how seriously you want to take text that compares a game to a guitar playing bigfoot. The whole subject is so stupid. Both sides. And if you're really that upset about it my suggestion is go outside (i know im gonna). This isn't directed at any individual forum member, i've just talked about this subject too much in the last few days and I'm so tired of it. Hopefully you found something funny about this.

Edited on by Losermagnet

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

Kanbei

Going against what I often read in various Facebook JRPG groups, here is my unpopular opinion: Dragon Quest XI's symphonic soundtrack is great.

Nintendo ID: BeeBindy
Switch Friend Code:
SW-1496-0942-9208
Discord: BeeBindy #7636

Ralizah

@Kanbei I half-agree. The soundtrack is very limited, and too many tracks are older/recycled from previous games, but I enjoy pretty much every piece of music that is in the game. It's gorgeous to listen to (versus the synth version in the original release, which is pretty awful in comparison; DQ needs orchestras).

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Pizzamorg

Matt_Barber wrote:

Krull wrote:

@Pizzamorg It’s an excellent question. Is a game no longer good if it does the same things another good game did? It definitely seems like Far Cry 6 is getting penalised by player fatigue.

I have never played a Far Cry game. There’s every chance that Far Cry 6 might be the best game in that series for me.

Ubisoft is kind of a victim of its own success. It has pretty much perfected an open world formula, with a good engine, good visuals, good sound, and doesn’t really know where to go next. Does anyone? What it really needs to do is give everybody a break - staff and players alike - but can’t, because then it’s not making any money and will go under.

Let’s see where Ubisoft is in another couple of years. Maybe it can find a path to use the new generation of consoles in more interesting ways.

If you've never played a Far Cry game, I'm sure it'd all seem novel enough. Still, you could just go and pick up Far Cry 3 for a song these days and get something that I'm sure is just as good. It's aged fairly gracefully and the DLC - Blood Dragon - is perhaps the greatest example of how a game can be re-skinned into something totally different. Hell, you can get Blood Dragon as a stand alone; just go straight to that.

As for Ubisoft generally, things are looking a lot less dire for them than they were a year ago when they posted huge losses and all the abuse allegations came out. They've turned it around financially with a string of hits - Legion, Valhalla and Immortals all sold well even if some would say that they're basically the same game - and some high profile firings suggest that at least there's some willingness to improve their toxic culture, although obviously far more needs to be done.

Still, those profits give them the cushion they need to make changes in both their management style and their games, so I can only hope that they make good use of it. This is also the company that gave us Mario + Rabbids and Valiant Hearts in recent years; they've still got a lot of talent if they're prepared to harness it.

I do feel the setting/villains/story play a bigger role in Far Cry than maybe people claim, given all of the “it is the same game” claims. I didn’t vibe with Far Cry really until 5, I have gone back and tried to play the earlier ones and I just don’t vibe the same way. I’d actually regard Far Cry 5 as one of my favourite games, just can’t remember in recent memory a game I had that much unfiltered fun with. However, there was already moaning of “franchise fatigue” when that came around. So you never know, for all the claims that the franchise is tired, each new Far Cry has the potential to capture a new audience, because they just vibe with the latest aesthetics.

So while you can get 2 or 3 dirt cheap now, if there is a way you can have a little taste of the whole series - maybe a trial of Ubisoft’s game pass like thing? - I do suggest trying to opening portions of each game, as while they do have you doing fundamentally the same things, they each vibe just that little different, even if it may only be skin deep.

AlliMeadow

The problem with video game prices is that they seem to be the same all around the world to a certain extent. $60 for a game is about the same price as a theatre ticket where I live. Going to the cinema with a roommate plus snacks ends up at about the same price. That’s roughly 5 hours of entertainment put together for a movie, while a game usually is somewhere between 20-200 hours. Most people with median income can purchase a video game a month no problem. I mean, when a night out on the town usually means spending somewhere between $40-100 it isn’t expensive to buy a video game for $60.

But $60 in Norway vs $60 in the UK isn’t the same. Median income in Norway after tax is $22,684 while in UK the median after tax is $14,793. That’s quite a difference and since games are priced the same in both countries they are more expensive in the UK compared to Norway. If we use Spain as an example which have half the median income compared to Norway, but with the same prices for games we end up with twice as expensive games in Spain.

It’s incredibly easy for me to defend a $60 purchase for a 5-10 hour game I think I’ll enjoy. My wages are low, and I’m in the line of work called low income work in my country, yet I can easily afford $60 a month. If I had the same job in Spain I would have a hard time financing my gaming.

This is what the price debate should be about. There is no equity in video game pricing.

AlliMeadow

Nintendo Network ID: Alli-V-Meadow

AlliMeadow

@Meteoroid absolutely agree with you. Quality of time should be accounted for, not just quantity. Some of my all time favourite games are short. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (on Wii U), all the Metroid games and The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds are my favourites. Although I've played more hours in Pokémon games, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros. and Splatoon, I don't have fun as consistently as with the aforementioned games.

With that being said, I'm really lucky to live somewhere that allows me to enjoy several hobbies on a low salary. Many places you have to prioritize, and even then with the obligations that follows with adulthood you might not have room to prioritize gaming. It's easy for me to call $60 cheep, but my $60 looks more like $120 other places. And if games were $120 I wouldn't play as many games as I am able to now. The risk of buying a game I won't enjoy would discourage me from buying games from series I haven't tried yet.

AlliMeadow

Nintendo Network ID: Alli-V-Meadow

VoidofLight

@Meteoroid Gaming is expensive if you want to play anything of quality. Free games generally aren’t quality experiences, as they’re riddled with micro-transactions or pay to win garbage. If you want a quality game, you have to shell out 70 dollars now, which is getting to be a bit much for a game. 60 is the sweet spot, but 70 is nearly too much, and it worries me that in the future, games will be around 100 dollars. Sure, waiting for sales is a viable option, but in this day and age, it’ll ruin the game for you as spoilers will be plastered everywhere.

Pizzamorg

As I said in the Switch thread, that is the one true benefit of PC gaming over console gaming. Pound for pound, games are just inherently cheaper and you have lots more deeper sales/freebies pound for pound, too. Potentially PC gaming may have higher investment for entry, I am not sure if you could spec a PC as cheap as a Switch and find games that can even properly run on hardware that limited, but after a year you’ll probably about balance the scales, when you’re paying 2 or 3 times more each time for a new Switch game versus a PC game.

kkslider5552000

VoidofLight wrote:

If you want a quality game, you have to shell out 70 dollars now, which is getting to be a bit much for a game. 60 is the sweet spot

The majority of the best games coming out cost less. (including literally the game in your avatar, which was 2 games for 40)

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

VoidofLight

@kkslider5552000 Yeah, there are great games coming out for around good prices, like GAA, and so many more. I'm just bummed out that bigger games like Final Fantasy and other series are going to just keep getting more and more expensive to get ahold of.

Anti-Matter

@Pizzamorg
I prefer having multiple of different consoles than having PC for gaming.
I'm not a PC gamer so I played all my games on different multiple consoles and handhelds since I used my laptop only for working (typing, drawing, Zoom meeting, scanning documents, etc)
Also, I played completely different games.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Pizzamorg

Anti-Matter wrote:

@Pizzamorg
I prefer having multiple of different consoles than having PC for gaming.
I'm not a PC gamer so I played all my games on different multiple consoles and handhelds since I used my laptop only for working (typing, drawing, Zoom meeting, scanning documents, etc)
Also, I played completely different games.

I’ve historically always been one or the other, this is the first time probably since I was kid/young teenager that I have both consoles and a PC. Although I haven’t got as much use out of my Series X as I expected and actually ended up using my Switch way more than I expected, as I forgot about the simple pleasure of playing a game in bed.

Anti-Matter

@AlliMeadow
Here in Indonesia, a lot of US$60 games sold by under MSRP. With US$1 = 14.500+ IDR, a US$ 60 game should be priced more than 870,000 IDR but the fact it sold with price range from 690,000 - 750,000 IDR.
Indeed US$ 60 game is expensive but if you're lucky enough, you can get under MSRP of US$ 60 games.

Anti-Matter

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic