Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 9,081 to 9,100 of 9,143

jump

Why_Do_I_Exist wrote:

Mario 3D All Stars is a decent game
Mario 64 is buggy and disorienting and not a lot of fun

It seem odd you're saying 3D All Stars is a decent game only to then call 1/3 of it not fun.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Matt_Barber

Galaxy and the good bits of Sunshine are what make 3D All Stars worth the asking price.

Mario 64 should really have been an NSO freebie.

Matt_Barber

jump

Matt_Barber wrote:

Galaxy and the good bits of Sunshine are what make 3D All Stars worth the asking price.

I wouldn't say that, it's ultimately an emulation collection and if Sunshine was on the Wii U priced the same as Wii games like Galaxy then those 3 games still wouldn't equal the rrp nor does it feel like it's collection that is bigger than the sums of it's part.

It's only really being limited that has made it feel special. If they had put it in a steel case with a fancy manual or included the obvious missing game it would be a different story imo.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Genesistalgia

Well, I got plenty (I apologize if I'm offending anyone, I'm trying my best not to):

Haunted Castle is jaw-dropping, and absolutely stunning with its graphics and gameplay.

Double Dragon games are unfair, cheap, infuriating, and just not fun (looking at you harsh enemy and boss A.I.).

River City Ransom has some of the SLOWEST recovery time in a belt-scroller ever.

Sonic 1 is actually good.

The arcade versions of Contra and Super Contra are BETTER than the NES versions.

SEGA and KONAMI design the best games.

EDIT: I sounded like Nathaniel Bandy there.

Edited on by Genesistalgia

Genesistalgia

Balta666

Genesistalgia wrote:

Sonic 1 is actually good.

THANK YOU. And I will add Sonic 2 is the worst of the 16 bit era

Balta666

timleon

@Genesistalgia @Balta666 I'm not the biggest fan of Sonic 1 but it's okay. It's been quite popular to hate on it recently.

Personally I find Sonic CD to be the worst of the original games - the level design is just awful and completely drags all of the cooler features (new characters in Metal Sonic and Amy, the music, the FMV sequences) down for me.

Edited on by timleon

Previously "Buizel" and "HunterLeon"

Currently playing:
PC: Mass Effect Legendary Edition
Switch: Hollow Knight, Persona 5 Strikers
3DS: Pokemon Ultra Sun

Balta666

@timleon actually I never played CD. I never owned one and never tried to emulated it

Balta666

TheFrenchiestFry

@ChakraStomps But people who do speedruns are doing it for fun or experimentation?

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Losermagnet

The more I like a game the less I want to talk to other people about it. I'm not sure what the opinion is that I could draw from that...perhaps that gaming has become so social that it damages the intimate and personal experiences I use to have. It's so much harder to suspend disbelief and be absorbed by a video game I guess. Fan theories, achievements, youtubers, and gaming websites dispel the mystique for me. It makes gaming feel really impersonal and mechanical. And when I do talk about games I love, I end up feeling like a bit of a spiky thing. Nobody cares how much I like Earthbound or Donkey Kong Country 2.

The flipside of that is that multiplayer games are improved by that kind of thing, I think. I love the idea of having a group of friends all absorbed in a shared experience.

Edited on by Eel

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

Slowdive

@Losermagnet This is kinda relatable to be honest. Think the pre-internet age was overall more special when it comes to video games. That was a time when you'd sometimes take a risk, not knowing what you're getting yourself into, be it game or a new type of game. There was a time when every single genre was new to me. Even though I still take some risks from time to time, it's not on equal footing with that era.

jump

@Losermagnet what you are describing is being a hipster, if other people like it too then it must be rubbish ;p

I get what you’re saying though, the sense of excitement from an immersive experience is stripped away when there’s a need to watch a dozen YouTube vids about it, spoiler achievement to reduce it to a checklist, years worth of teaser trailer to artificially inflate excitement etc. In a sense I gravitate to arcade/multiplayer games more because its where the joy is solely in playing and when I do like a solo player game I rarely bother to watch it on YouTube about it. I have a thing about if I need someone else to articulate my opinion then it not my own and it’s why when people dump YouTube vids on the forum it annoys me.

Nicolai wrote:

kkslider5552000

I only get annoyed at talking about things I like when:
A. It's too predictable for anyone or me specifically to like a thing (and even then only in certain situations) or
B. I merely like it but everyone else adores it. Though this happens less with games than other mediums for me.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

Losermagnet

@jump I'm not a hipster - I was wearing this fedora before it was cool.

It's too easy (for me at least) to become influenced by outside opinions or media. I've been trying this year to make some changes: less youtube, less frivolous spending, no podcasts while playing games. Previously, I would buy most new releases and play them on autopilot with something on in the background. It would almost always be unfulfilling. Now I'm just trying to work my way through my deep backlog and focus on the game. If I think it sucks then I move on. It's like I'm retraining my brain to game.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

Snaplocket

Zero Time Delimma is STILL way better then most other visual novels.

Danganronpa v3 is easily the worst chunsoft vn for reasons that anyone who played the whole game can guess.

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

Ralizah

@Snaplocket DRV3 is my favorite game in that series. It used to DR2 (and, to be fair, I think there's still a good argument to be made for it being the best), but putting aside the main story mode in V3, the extensive, fantastic post-game content in V3 is on another level. The board game mode is a massive celebration of the entire franchise and reads like the ultimate Danganronpa fanfic in the way it allows characters from various games to interact, and the JRPG is a surprisingly fun, retro-style experience, and the way the card machine feeds into both is just beautiful.

V3 also has some of the best trials in the series, including what is, unquestionably, the best first trial in the series. Sort of like how Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulation's first trial blew away the first trials of the previous two games in that trilogy.

It's a shame to disregard the whole package because you didn't care for the way it ended (which I'll defend until the day I die, but I get why people wouldn't like it, even if I don't agree that this makes it 'bad' or inferior in some way)

I guess my own unpopular opinion would be that, while I enjoy the entire series, I feel like there is a massive divide in quality between the first game and all of the sequels. The first game isn't... great. It feels like a rough draft of what Danganronpa 2 would go on to fully realize. Most of the trials are disappointing, it has the worst cast in the series, and it never fully nails the unique tone that subsequent entries hit on so well.

@Losermagnet I'll play podcasts in the background of games like Picross or when I'm mindlessly grinding in an RPG. But I can't imagine having something else going in the background while playing a game with good music, character dialogue, etc. My young nephew plays through entire games while listening to people on youtube on his phone, and it drives me nuts. Imagine watching a movie that way!

Good on you for making those changes. I think it'll ultimately lead you to enjoy your games that much more when you're paying full attention to them!

...I've been struggling to not get caught up in the excitement of so many new releases myself. Although an even bigger issue is buying games on sale I know I won't be getting to for years. Ugh.

Edited on by Ralizah

ACTIVELY PLAYING
Persona 5 Royal (PS4)
Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

Snaplocket

@Ralizah Ironic because I actually liked the first game the most even though I agree the sequels are better in terms of pure gameplay. Again, V3 WOULD be my favorite if not for the ending and one OTHER plot point that happens early on and left an extra bad taste in my mouth due to the aforementioned.

Edited on by Snaplocket

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

Ralizah

@Snaplocket

Snaplocket wrote:

Again, V3 WOULD be my favorite if not for the ending and one OTHER plot point that happens early on and left an extra bad taste in my mouth due to the aforementioned.

Kaede's death?

ACTIVELY PLAYING
Persona 5 Royal (PS4)
Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

Dogorilla

I've only played the first Danganronpa but I thought it was really good (apart from the questionable portrayal of Toko's DPD and Chihiro's gender). The general concept of the game is a bit dark for my liking (I don't like overly violent or depressing stories), but there's plenty of humour which makes it easier for me to cope with, and I love the murder mystery aspect as well as the broader mystery spanning the whole game. Anyway, I've been told the second game is the best, so I'm looking forward to playing that but also a bit nervous...

Dogorilla

SpringDivorce

Zelda BotW was tedious.
I've never managed to find anything likeable about any of the Assassin's Creed games I've tried.
The two Doom reboots get really old, really quickly.

SpringDivorce

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic