Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 9,061 to 9,080 of 9,143

Snatcher

@jump I agree His spelling is off, he totally meant luigi's mansion, its the best one on the GC.

A sky with stars so bright the colors feel so right I nev, Uh I mean. I'm a Among us plus sonic fan. I have also been playing a unheathy amount of MHR (Don't try to stop me)

the_weakest_link

Replaying the 3D All-Stars version and Wii U eShop version, it is my considered opinion that Super Mario 64 controls very poorly.

You may now take me to the firing squad.

the_weakest_link

jump

@the_weakest_link I think that's the only (main) Mario game he can actually punch in it. BEST MARIO CONTROLS EVER! ;p

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Matt_Barber

I'd think the thing with Mario 64 is that the controls to any game are going to feel second nature when you've been playing it for 25 years. As such, it's only to the people who've never played it before that the reality of how clunky and counterintuitive they are become truly apparent.

Mind you, it seems like no amount of time can make Sunshine's controls feel good.

Matt_Barber

Balta666

@Matt_Barber Imo sunshine plays better than Galaxy (the camera in Galaxy is the worst one in the series and the on small planets is infuriating )

Balta666

Nicolai

@Matt_Barber Things like: how long it takes Mario to come to a stop; the exact angles on the joystick Mario will skid instead of arc around; the exact velocity that changes an aerial B press from a kick to a dive; the narrow window you need to press A for wall-kicking combined with the fact that the A press is much earlier than anyone would expect; the delay between crouching and standing up; all the places you can't turn the camera for some unexplicable reason, and the fact that it will often move when you're trying to run in a straight line, or lock into one of two angles that are not where you need it to be.

I can recognize all of these faults, and I can't imagine how I managed to grapple with these when I was young. But 25 years later, they've all melted away for me. None of these shortcomings actually inhibit Mario's capabilities, it just makes it harder to execute when you first play, and in some ways it enhances his capabilities. In some ways the difficulty, like in wall-jumping, makes it more satisfying to pull off.

I'm not going to defend these controls or say that it would be smarter if Nintendo continued with some of those design decisions. But it definitely is a bummer for me that a lot of what makes SM64 fun for me will probably never be developed ever again.

Edited on by Nicolai

Getting married in August.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

ToadBrigade

Galaxy has the best controls, followed by Sunshine and then 3D World and then 64. I seriously don’t see the problems people have with Sunshine. Especially after the total mess that is 64.

Hollow Knight for Smash!
CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Splatoon 2
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury

MarioLover92

I also didn't have a problem with Galaxy's controls. Yeah they're somewhat limited, but in the context of the game they work perfectly. I do think Odyssey has the best controls overall though.

Nintendo Life's (self-proclaimed) #1 Mario fan! Wahoo!

SMM2 ID: V1J-NRF-PWG
AC:NH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Let me know if you're gonna add my Switch FC. Thank you!

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-8582-2999 | My Nintendo: MarioFan92 | Twitter:

Ralizah

Came late to both Sunshine and 64. Sunshine feels great to play, honestly. Mario is extremely responsive, and I love his moveset with the FLUDD.

64, on the other hand, is a clunky nightmare of a game, and Mario always feels like's running on ice. And the inclusion of punching always baffled me. Not once have I felt the need to punch anything in that game.

Galaxy actually wins in terms of controls for me. Odyssey has the better moveset, but certain movements being locked to motion gestures knocks it down a peg.

Edited on by Ralizah

ACTIVELY PLAYING
Persona 5 Royal (PS4)
Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

timleon

Personally I find that the controls get better with each 3D entry, with Odyssey > Galaxy > Sunshine >>> 64. 64 is the only one I really have any issue with, but it's still totally playable.

Previously "Buizel" and "HunterLeon"

Currently playing:
PC: Mass Effect Legendary Edition
Switch: Hollow Knight, Persona 5 Strikers
3DS: Pokemon Ultra Sun

AnnoyingFrenzy

Having now just beaten all three BioShock games. 2 > 1 > Infinite and frankly, Infinite isn't even close to the other 2.

Xbox Live Username: Annoying Frenzy
Switch Status: Purchased!

I-U

@kkslider5552000 What is as good as City Trial in Melee?

@jump @Snatcher Luigi's Mansion wasn't entirely new like Pikmin and Chibi-Robo were, and at the time I mainly thought of it as a spin-off of the Super Mario franchise rather than something new. Beyond that, it took over a decade before Luigi's Mansion had a follow up. In that time, Pikmin had a sequel and a third game set for the Wii U and Chibi-Robo had two sequels on the Nintendo DS. Chibi-Robo sits at 5 games, Pikmin at 4 and Luigi's Mansion is at 3. The shortest time between LM games is a little over 6 years. It's an IP that has not had a stride yet.

Favorite Game: Metroid Prime Hunters

kkslider5552000

I-U wrote:

What is as good as City Trial in Melee?

Fair, but Smash Bros understands the basic logic of why multiple buttons are on controllers, so it evens out. (I love Kirby Air Ride, but that's very much despite the Balan Wonderland control scheme)

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

jump

I-U wrote:

Beyond that, it took over a decade before Luigi's Mansion had a follow up. In that time, Pikmin had a sequel and a third game set for the Wii U and Chibi-Robo had two sequels on the Nintendo DS. Chibi-Robo sits at 5 games, Pikmin at 4 and Luigi's Mansion is at 3. The shortest time between LM games is a little over 6 years. It's an IP that has not had a stride yet.

The saying quality over quantity exists for a reason ;p

I find it mental that Ninty turned those two into 2D platformers, it was at a time when they were releasing so many other legit great ones (and other meh ones) that it was almost like Ninty wanted them to flop so they could point to that to kill those games off for good.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

PoliticallyIncorrect

I don't really enjoy Nintendo games anymore. I did when I was younger because they were actually challenging back then. Now they are all easy peasy and lead you by the hand. I bought my Switch to play everything but Nintendo games for the most part.

PoliticallyIncorrect

Balta666

@PoliticallyIncorrect I recommend you try donkey Kong tropical freeze if you have not yet. It probably the best 2d platformer ever made (well Celeste is a masterpiece too) and really challenging.

Balta666

I-U

jump wrote:

I-U wrote:

Beyond that, it took over a decade before Luigi's Mansion had a follow up. In that time, Pikmin had a sequel and a third game set for the Wii U and Chibi-Robo had two sequels on the Nintendo DS. Chibi-Robo sits at 5 games, Pikmin at 4 and Luigi's Mansion is at 3. The shortest time between LM games is a little over 6 years. It's an IP that has not had a stride yet.

The saying quality over quantity exists for a reason ;p

I find it mental that Ninty turned those two into 2D platformers, it was at a time when they were releasing so many other legit great ones (and other meh ones) that it was almost like Ninty wanted them to flop so they could point to that to kill those games off for good.

I ordered Zip Lash after making my post, so I'll see what that game is like soon. It's likely not going to be the greatest 2D game or Chibi-Robo game I've played, but I'm not expecting the game to be a dumpster fire either. Hey! Pikmin is a game I have played, and I enjoyed the game more than I did Pikmin 3. I may prefer it to Pikmin 1 as well, if not Hey! Pikmin is just slightly below for me. Nothing is touching Pikmin 2. I don't think taking a series in a different direction necessarily means poor quality.

Favorite Game: Metroid Prime Hunters

Diddy64

Two unpopular opinions. Megaman X5 and X6 are better than X4. Megaman 6 is better than Megaman 7, 5, 4 and 3 (yes, I have said sacrilege )

Undergoing games:
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Megaman X Legacy Collection 2
Fire Emblem Awakening
Zelda BotW
Smash Bros Ultimate

Why_Do_I_Exist

Oh I got plenty:
Fortnite is a piece of crap, always was, always will be
Mario Golf games aren't very good
Bloblobber mains are a disease
Clash Blaster mains are brain-dead
Mario 3D All Stars is a decent game
Mario 64 is buggy and disorienting and not a lot of fun
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon is actually good
I guess these aren't that controversial or whatever, but still.

Why_Do_I_Exist

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic