Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 11,981 to 12,000 of 12,088

Summer235

I agrée with the easy/hard modes. If a creator wants a certain experience then they should be able to create it.
It sucks when people complain and the creator gives in, IMO video games are art and if the creator has a vision, then let it be.

Although I play on easy mode because 1) I have a life outside of video games and would rather not spend hours on a game. 2) I have a huge backlog so I want to get through it and 3) I play video games to relax, not get frustrated.

Edited on by Summer235

Summer235

Switch Friend Code: SW-2910-0073-1053

Anti-Matter

Game Awards is just pure trash and will always be trash in my opinion.
It just only glorified disgusting rated 18+ games as the winner.
Totally Disgusting.

Anti-Matter

FishyS

@Anti-Matter I mean, Breath of the Wild won once and that is rated E for Everybody. It Takes Two won 2 years ago which is rated 12+ I think and is kind of by definition a family game. Stray was nominated last year. Although I do agree there is a bias towards 'gritty' games which are sometimes 18+, it's definitely not always.

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

Anti-Matter

@FishyS
There were some kids / general games got nominated or won the specific award but overall the winner is (almost) always the rated 18+ games. And that made me felt disgusted.
I can't even stand for such things like that.

Anti-Matter

Snatcher

@FishyS honestly I wouldn’t say there is a bias it’s just those games are really well designed, sekiro and elden ring are great, and while last of us was surrounded by controversy it was a good series. God of war and ghost of tushima is the same honestly the gameplay fun and the story is great.

I think it’s also important to see which games are nominated, im not sure if those aren’t all just rated M too, but I think the fact a game gets nominated to be the potential game of the year shows you it’s promise.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

I’m very much alive!

Current obsession: Persona 3 reload.

FishyS

@Snatcher I wouldn't say rated M is the main thing. The games which actually win tend to be overly graphic-focused, often 'gritty', often overly action-focused, often open world or otherwise 'big'. Basically what I would call Hollywood type games. Obviously not every year, but a good half the winners are like that and some of the others have similarities. You can say they are good, and although that isn't a genre I tend to like personally I do agree with you, but the main thing is they aren't very diverse genre-wise. There are a lot of games out there. For example, there is the joke that a Nintendo game, no matter how good, is automatically slotted for 'best family game' rather than GotY unless it happens to be an overly grandiose open-world action game. And nominations don't count if we know they won't win. Again, there are ( a couple) exceptions, but personally the process definitely seems genre-biased to me.

Dave the Diver is higher on metacritic than Spiderman 2 and although it could get nominated to insert diversity into the nomination list no one actually thinks a game like that would ever win GotY. Suika Game currently has a higher user-rating than TotK but thinking about even nominating a game like that would be a joke, even though there is a decent chance that game (including the different versions on other platforms) will be played for more total hours than the GotY nominees.

Edited on by FishyS

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

VoidofLight

Removed - disrespecting others

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

JONOFTHEJONS

People calling Starfield a terrible game just because of its graphics, writing, and pronouns are rather delusional. Starfield is a good Bethesda game. That’s it.

You only need to know about my many obsessions, which consist of Lego, Fortnite, Nintendo, PlayStation and Xbox games, drawing on my Tablet, Dragon Ball Z, My Hero Academia, Thomas The Tank Engine, Star Wars, and Ninjago.

VoidofLight

@JONOFTHEJONS I believe its terrible because the game is primarily a reskin of other Bethesda games from the past, and the content really seems to be quantity over quality. The game feels about as wide as an ocean but as deep as a puddle.

Matt_Barber

I've not played a huge amount of Starfield but what I did was far from awful.

It's just not GotY standard in what's otherwise been an exceptional year. I could see it picking up a few nominations and maybe an award in one of the technical categories though.

Matt_Barber

D20Nat20

service based games are bad
Season based games are just there to make micro transactions
DLC has gotton bad like gone are the days of full add ons(simulators still do and some games get ok add ons but small dlcs are the norm)
Cloud gaming is a step back
Console is better than pc but i'll use pc for older stuff and non console stuff but i always end up back on console
Wii was not full of shovelware but eshop on switch is

D20Nat20

WoomyNNYes

@D20Nat20 Yeah, I don't think forever-games (service based games, season based games) are good for kids. I mean, it's nice to have something the play for a while, but the service & season based games seem to just foster fear of missing out.

Tangent to that issue, my niece wanted Tears of the Kingdom, but I couldn't recommend it to my brother or sister in-law. I think it's too big of a game for a kid in school that has a life.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

D20Nat20

WoomyNNYes wrote:

@D20Nat20 Yeah, I don't think forever-games (service based games, season based games) are good for kids. I mean, it's nice to have something the play for a while, but the service & season based games seem to just foster fear of missing out.
Tangent to that issue, my niece wanted Tears of the Kingdom, but I couldn't recommend it to my brother or sister in-law. I think it's too big of a game for a kid in school that has a life.

Thats correct thats why mmos are poor relatives of crpgs

D20Nat20

VoidofLight

I think MMOs are the only types of game that can pull off the live service element well. Esoecially games like XIV.

kkslider5552000

As always, I don't want to speak too much about the games I haven't played, which is nearly anything this year, but I do kinda question people's hype for this year as some amazing year for gaming. There was a lot of great stuff, and more big budget games actually living up to the hype than I've seen in a bit. But I dunno, there were quite a few giant failures and a lot of focus on remakes and remasters. I think if the best year in ages is because they brought back old games, that doesn't say great things about modern AAA games.

But it is also way better than last year I admit, because for like half of 2022, AAA games might as well have been a myth. That's the bar now I guess.

I dunno I think every year is a great year for gaming, AAA's waning relevance except for this year barely even matters.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

VoidofLight

This year wasn’t that impressive to me. I don’t really have a game of the year, and it kind of sucks. Last year I had xenoblade 3, but this year nothing really called out towards me in the same way. TotK was kind of an underwhelming mess, Mario Wonder was decent but not GotY material for me. I forget Pikmin 4 existed, mainly due it it feeling like an inferior Pikmin 2.

I have yet to play Baldur’s gate 3, so I’ll probably wind up enjoying that whenever I end up getting to it.

Zuljaras

@kkslider5552000 I agree that there were some failures this year (huh ... huh ...Starfield) but it delivered some of the best gaming experiences universally praised:

1. Lies of P
2. Zelda TotK
3. Spider-Man 2
4. Blasphemous 2

Yes, RE4R is a remake but ... what a remake! So good

This is the year of amazing sequels that beat their predecessors (Lies of P excluded as it is original).

Fizza

For as flawed as they can be at times, SEGA is genuinely one of the best 3rd-party devs in the industry....when they don't focus solely on Sonic.

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Mega Man 11 (Switch)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

Ralizah

@VoidofLight While I do think this was an objectively strong year for releases in a mass market sense, I sort of agree insofar as nothing I played truly wowed me. Xenoblade 3 and Triangle Strategy, on the other hand, are both top five Switch games for me. Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak was up there for me as well.

This year... lol I'm leaning toward my GOTY being either Fire Emblem Engage of Advance Wars 1 + 2.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

CJD87

2022 vs 2023 is a really interesting debate.

For me personally, last year heralded 2 of my favorite gaming experiences of all time - Elden Ring and Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak. These games both blew me away to a capacity that nothing this year has quite matched. 2022 also brought Return to Monkey Island, which was a breath of fresh air and got me really into Adventure/P&C titles.

2023 though... I've had a great quantity of wonderful experiences, albeit less 'impactful' (vs Elden Ring for instance). TOTK was great... until I burned out after 30ish hours, just felt I'd seen it all before. I really enjoyed Blasphemous 2 and Lies of P though. Also, a couple of weeks ago I played an indie P&C "The Will of Arthur Flabbington".... amazing, and very reminiscent of Monkey Island.

I am just about to start BG3, and this might change things. For now though, I think Lies of P is my personal GOTY...delighted it has been received so well by the 'Souls community' and can't wait for the impending DLC

CJD87

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic