Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 11,081 to 11,100 of 11,745

Rambler

@Zilock @kkslider5552000
The shrines were great (despite looking and sounding identical), the dungeons were really poor apart from the castle.

But yes, if the assets are not expanded for crying link I will not be happy.

Rambler

Matt_Barber

I liked the shrines. They served the dual functions of waypoints in the landscape as well as providing the puzzle element to the game. Sure, there's some filler but the sheer quantity of them adds up and there are a few really well crafted ones. The standard of the DLC shrines is way better, bar a couple of obvious exceptions, which suggests that time might have been a factor.

The divine beasts were a little disappointing, although I'd think they're best compared to the final door puzzle and boss fight of a traditional Zelda rather than the entire dungeon as, by that stage, you've typically also explored a region's shrines to get to them.

I'd think that the dream ticket would be a game with the overworld of Breath of the Wild that, alongside shrines, also contained as many individually themed and complex dungeons of the sort that you'd expect in a traditional Zelda game.

If that's what they're doing for Tears of the Kingdom, it'd go a long way towards explaining why it's taken so long.

Edited on by Matt_Barber

Matt_Barber

Zilock

Matt_Barber wrote:

The standard of the DLC shrines is way better, bar a couple of obvious exceptions, which suggests that time might have been a factor.
The divine beasts were a little disappointing, although I'd think they're best compared to the final door puzzle and boss fight of a traditional Zelda rather than the entire dungeon as, by that stage, you've typically also explored a region's shrines to get to them.

I'd think that the dream ticket would be a game with the overworld of Breath of the Wild that, alongside shrines, also contained as many individually themed and complex dungeons of the sort that you'd expect in a traditional Zelda game.

If that's what they're doing for Tears of the Kingdom, it'd go a long way towards explaining why it's taken so long.

I agree that the DLC shrines were much better than those in the base game. I'd take 20-30 Champion's Ballad style shrines over 120 mini ones anyday. This brings to mind another area where Tears of the Kingdom could improve which is fun and meaningful side activities. If future titles incorporated 30 or so "mega quests" of the quality and variety of the Master Sword Trials, Tarrey Town Quest and Eventide Island instead of boring fetch quests then we're easily into GOAT territory.

Edited on by Zilock

Zilock

Rambler

@Matt_Barber @Zilock
The DLC quest was really really good, but it was more of the same, only better. I was hoping for some sort of variation, but it kept to the parameters established by the base game.

So yeah, for the new game, I'm hoping for some underground exploration - doesn't have to be actual dungeons, but just more places with ceilings!!

And yes to fewer smaller quests, but more large, multi-stage quests
(Although Tarry Town was essentially a load of fetch quests!)

Rambler

kkslider5552000

I feel like I'm kinder to the Divine Beasts then a lot of people were. Yeah, they didn't live up to big Zelda temples, but I found them to be very interesting and novel and cool to solve for what they were. I think if the next game just makes them a bit more different from each other, and adds like one other thing (possibly taken from how past Zelda dungeons worked) to make them feel like a larger part of the experience, you're probably good.

But to be fair, it is also awkward that it has less focus on them than even the Majora's Mask temples (the sidequest Zelda), despite being a vastly larger game.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Misadventures of Tron Bonne Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy TRON BONNE < Link to LP

VoidofLight

I just want dungeons with unique bosses and themes to them, that's all.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Grumblevolcano

@kkslider5552000 That is the result of pretty much the whole game's content being optional and completable in any order. It'll be interesting to see how Pokemon Scarlet/Violet approaches this.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

VoidofLight

@Grumblevolcano I mean, not really. A Link Between Worlds did it's dungeons in any order, and they still had their own unique themes, puzzles, and storylines. BotW's dungeons just kind of failed because they felt like the interiors were soulless carbon copies, and the bosses were pretty much similar to one another. Even though I get what they were going for, I feel like they could still do actual legitimate dungeons in an open world game.

kkslider5552000

VoidofLight wrote:

A Link Between Worlds did it's dungeons in any order, and they still had their own unique themes, puzzles, and storylines.

Ok, let's be honest here though. The Divine Beasts are a tiny portion of BOTW. ALBW's dungeons is almost like half of ALBW, even more if you go by content not taken exactly one-to-one from LTTP. Not too shocked the latter put vastly more priority with dungeons than the former, to say the least.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Misadventures of Tron Bonne Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy TRON BONNE < Link to LP

Grumblevolcano

@VoidofLight There's still a sense of linearity in ALBW even though you do have some choice in the order you do things. You have to go to Hyrule Castle first, you have to beat the first 3 dungeons after leaving Hyrule Castle before you can access the Dark World, etc. Meanwhile in BotW there's a start point (exiting the Shrine of Resurrection) and an end point (defeating Ganon in Hyrule Castle), what else you do and in what order is completely up to you with no limits.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Xyphon22

@kkslider5552000 I agree, and have always thought it odd how much hate the Divine Beasts receive. Yes, them and the bosses within all LOOKED the same, but they were different otherwise. And I liked how they were essentially like four gigantic puzzles. I guess if you're the kind of person that likes Oracle of Seasons more than Ages then that might not appeal to you as much, but I loved it. I just want more than four.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

kidkytes

I'm a weird person in that BOTW does absolutely nothing for me and I tried it for 5 hours from a friend giving me their copy. I didn't find it fufilling to play, I heavily dislike the weapon breaking system and it's boring. Doesn't help that shortly after this I got told by quite a few people and an old streamer community that, "You don't really enjoy it until 20 hours." which is just...what? That's a terrible way to even pitch anything to anyone! Then the icing on the cake of me simply saying that it isn't a game made for me and getting a reply of, "Well you're not playing it properly." just made me dig my heels into the ground of outright disliking it lol.

kidkytes

kaisu

@kidkytes tbh, there is no "right" way to play BOTW and the game only gets better when the player wants it to get better ( it wont change its pace or have some massive plot twist/new gaming changing mechanic, you have to do it yourself by exploring random areas, challenging powerfull monsters, getting into the lore habbit hole or creating your own battle tactic) and it is this freedom that make BOTW the game many love, if it didn't clicked to you in the great plateau, or the first main quest, it really isn't the game for you, and forcing yourself to play the game to the end probally won't make the game more enjoyable.

Edited on by kaisu

kaisu

kidkytes

@kaisu Yeah which is why I'm glad I never bought it lol. It's apples and oranges in that I'm more intrigued by an 'open world' design like in Nier Automata more because it just feels like it's bursting with personality rather than the bland BOTW style to me. I give games 5 hours now or maybe 10 hours if it's a JRPG and if I'm not feeling it, then I'm not gonna continue playing it.

kidkytes

Fizza

I actually really like/enjoy the brand new weapons Splatoon 3 introduced to the series.

I remember playing the Tri-Stringer and Splatana Wiper during the Splatfest World Premiere and feeling only one emotion: crushing disappointment. The Stringer was as slow as molasses, couldn't paint to save its life and felt damn near impossible to actually get a kill with while the Splatana felt like whacking someone with pool noodle most of the time, never really getting the chance to use its OHKO whatsoever. I dropped them almost as quickly as I started them to focus on my loves from 2 (Aerospray/Dualie Squelchers my beloved) and thought it would be the exact same when the game finally came out.

Fast forward to today and those two classes are arguably some of my most played out of all of them. I still have issues with the both of them (such as Stringers painfully miniscule shot hitbox and Splatana's tap swipes feeling a bit unresponsive at points) but between learning how to properly utilise the two mentioned previously in addition to the absolutely busted stats and kits of the Reef-Lux 450 and Splatana Stamper? Suffice to say they've gone up in my good books considerably (the Splatana Wiper is actually my most played weapon as of now, with a 10.7% use rate according to SplatNet).

Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
The Owl House is so good you guys omg
Currently performing a summoning circle for a 2nd Ace Attorney Trilogy
'You're always you, no matter what you look like' - Captain 3, Splatoon 3

kidkytes

I've been trying out the Splatanas and they're really fun! Since the pre release splatfest was limited time you weren't given much opportunity to experiment with the new weapons. The thing that has been most surprising is that I've finally started enjoying using rollers! I hated using them in Splatoon 2 but since I gave them a shot in 3, I've discovered I'm actually quite good at them. Going back into Splatoon 2 I've got a new appreciation for them and decided to go back and unlock the Hero Replica Roller.

kidkytes

VoidofLight

@Grumblevolcano It's true that BotW just lets you do anything at any time, and I... sort of hated that? Like I'm all for an open world Zelda, but a lot suffered while they left it completely open. ALBW had a perfect amount of freedom with the dungeons and stuff that made the game replayable, and I don't see why they can't end up just doing that but with a bigger map and more side stuff to do. Sure, there's a "dungeon order" but it's less restrictive than being told you have to do every dungeon within a specific order, and it actually gives the game some semblance of story other than "Wander around empty world endlessly and collect cutscenes that happened so long ago with characters who died."

kaisu

@kidkytes yeah, it isn't for everybody. It cliked to me because i used to buy a few games at a year, and BOTW gave a big replay factor, so it was a gold mine to the early teenager me lol. And with time i got intrested in world design, and liked the more geographic exploration focused BOTW model instead of the "follow this quest objective" model most games use, it focus too much on map/UI and rewards than making the world itself more interesting to explore

kaisu

Anti-Matter

After some play, I felt less impressed by Battle system of Paper Mario The Origami King as it felt I have to think in rush to allign the enemies before fighting.
I prefer Color Splash and Sticker Stars battle system as it felt like FF VIII style in term of using the ability cards and the Things summon.

My Top 3 Dance Dance Revolution Arcade:
1. Dance Dance Revolution X2
2. Dance Dance Revolution EXTREME
3. Dance Dance Revolution 3rd Mix

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Snatcher

The combat for origami king, tbh, wile it wasn’t really a good system compared to previous entry’s, it could be satisfying, and enjoyable from time to time, but the dialogue, the characters, (Even with the limit they had) were so fun and enjoyable, it made it all worth it. But I haven’t gotten to 100% the game, when I do get to that who knows when, I will probably have different opinions, but as of now, I love that game, surprisingly.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside.

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it) Remind me to ask jump about those ninja skills of his.

New edited pfp! Merry Christmas!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic