Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 11,081 to 11,100 of 12,088

kkslider5552000

I loved BOTW but I am sympathetic to people who didn't (at least when their criticisms aren't stupid like implying the game doesn't have memorable music). If BOTW was merely a game I liked, I would've been FURIOUS that they turned my go to example of how a game should be structured in the Zelda series into current trendy game genre. It pretty much needed to be one of my favorite games of the past decade, which it is, for me to have been ok with it. Well that combined with the fact that they've been doing lots of things other then open world Zeldas in the meanwhile and to a much lesser extent that there are like 15 games in this style to go back to, so it isn't like when Paper Mario gave up after two games that were proper turn based RPGs.

And even with BOTW's success, I'd much prefer if 3D action adventure games on average were closer to how Zelda games worked rather than open world games. I don't know how anyone even bothers with more than...2 open world games a year.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Snatcher

Tbh I thought I was going to get murder’d for mine, but I’m alive yay!

Edited on by Snatcher

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

VoidofLight

I feel like there's a difference between having an unpopular opinion and being wrong though. There's a huge difference in saying a game has nothing in it, or is a way that it isn't, rather than saying an outright opinion. @Pizzamorg

The guy here claimed that WindWaker was for kids, and that the game feels like you only walk around, when that's like incredibly far from the truth of what the game is in general. The game has more to it than just walking around.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Pizzamorg

VoidofLight wrote:

I feel like there's a difference between having an unpopular opinion and being wrong though. There's a huge difference in saying a game has nothing in it, or is a way that it isn't, rather than saying an outright opinion. @Pizzamorg
The guy here claimed that WindWaker was for kids, and that the game feels like you only walk around, when that's like incredibly far from the truth of what the game is in general. The game has more to it than just walking around.

I agree, like that person who was in here arguing Pokemon isn't a JRPG, that isn't an opinion, that is straight wrong.

But saying you dislike Wind Waker is your opinion, it isn't up to anyone here to decide if you think their reasoning is up to standard. People are very quick here to shut someone down if they challenge reasoning (flashbacks to me getting dogpiled in the Arceus thread for the challenges I made on the weak defences people made for the Noble battles), unless those people don't like the reasoning and then challenging the reasoning is apparently now fair game. It is either one, or the other, not both.

Obviously, a forum cannot be a truly neutral space, and discussion is what drives a forum, but going into an unpopular opinion thread, getting triggered and then dogpiling the person is straight ***** conduct.

You can disagree with opinions - if anything, I would hope you do disagree, given the nature of this thread. But given the nature of the thread in turn, you shouldn't start challenging someone for sharing an unpopular opinion in the unpopular opinion thread, that is the only "nonsense" I've seen here lately, not the person's opinions on BOTW's lack of dungeons.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

Life to the living, death to the dead.

VoidofLight

I feel like I'm sort of losing touch with Nintendo as a game manufacturer. I don't find any of their first party offerings to be that great anymore, and it just sort of feels like they grew complacent with the swift success of the Nintendo Switch. The only games I like on the console aren't even made by them, but rather published. I dunno if I'm just growing out of this company or not, but I just feel like the switch is inferior compared to what the 3DS was. Like, even now I play the 3DS more than I play my Switch.

I feel what partially makes me feel like this, is the fact that most of the first party offerings felt incomplete in a sense, or if they weren't incomplete, they felt "off", or so close to reaching a potential but cut off right when things were about to get good. Tons of people praise Super Mario Odyssey, but whenever I play it, it just doesn't feel right to me. I can't put my finger on as to why, but I seriously just can't bring myself to enjoy it like I can with other 3D Mario games.

Nintendo also has been releasing tons of games with minimal content at launch, only to have "Free updates" later down the line, which adds in the missing content. It irks me, since I don't really stick around with a game if the launch experience doesn't grip me, and so many of the games they do this for lacks the content it needs to be engaging for me after launch. Games like Animal Crossing New Horizons, Nintendo Switch Sports, and more of their "online" causal-friendly games.

The Online is a rip-off, and I hate how you effectively have to pay 20 dollars a year for effectively just the privilege of being able to connect through peer-to-peer multiplayer, the ability to use cloud saves which don't support the games that it needs to support, and a catalogue of dusty games that perform worse than they did on the original consoles that they were made for. Not to mention all this DLC that was effectively made just to sell the "Expansion Pass", which is an even worse deal. They made shoddy DLC for Mario Kart 8, all because they wanted to sell people on the idea of the Expansion Pass, and it's evident by the fact that the new courses don't even match with the quality of the actual game.

It just disappoints me to be chalked up as a troll all because I don't find the Switch to be the best console. If the first party experiences and online were good, this would've been my dream console. I've always been wanting a portable console that can play full home console games on the go, but the lack of quality experiences (outside of a fleeting third party market, which is pulling exclusives from the console), and the shoddy online just kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Unless Nintendo turns themselves around next gen, I'm probably just going to stick with the 3DS and Sony for a while.

blindsquirrel

@VoidofLight
I agree, outside of tears of the kingdom, nothing Nintendo does interests me anymore. It feels like every game they release is Pokémon, Kirby and party games.

Currently playing: Pokemon Soul Silver, Mario RPG
Enos 1:15

dew12333

@VoidofLight Your opinion is more than fair, I don't feel it too the degree that you obviously do, but I can see your point. However you are on a nintendo fan site and expressing opposite views generally is classed as trolling, I know this because I have commented similarly and been called out the same way. So I don't think it has anything to do with your opinion, maybe just were your putting it.

dew12333

blindsquirrel

@EaglyTheKawaiiShika
That’s true, while I’m not personally interested in those, they seem to have gotten great reviews.
Splatoon 3 as well.

Currently playing: Pokemon Soul Silver, Mario RPG
Enos 1:15

VoidofLight

@EaglyTheKawaiiShika The only one I liked out of that was Xenoblade. The rest I don’t care about, or really don’t enjoy.

HotGoomba

Am I the only one who likes the Switch menu? Other than the lack of music and features taking forever to roll out, I like it, way more than the Xbox's menu.

Edited on by HotGoomba

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy there.

Buizel

@HotGoomba yeah personally it's my favourite of any gaming UI.

Pretty much every other gaming UI is much too cluttered.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

HotGoomba

@Buizel I feel like Nintendo does a decent job with UI, usually making it simpler than PlayStation or Xbox, or more interesting in the case of the GameCube, and I do like how Nintendo does fill up its home screen with advertisements.

Say what you want about Nintendo, but they make some sexy menus.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy there.

Kermit1doesmath

HotGoomba wrote:

Say what you want about Nintendo, but they make some sexy menus.

Yes they do

dysgraphia awareness human

kkslider5552000

As a counterpoint, I genuinely vastly prefer, on average, Nintendo's output this gen over their last systems. Wii U failed and failed to get software and failed to utilize its own gimmicks half the time and collapsed into failure. It has its moments that I appreciated but it was overshadowed by underwhelming ideas and a relative lack of truly standout, great games. Same with 3DS and its 3D gimmick was annoying to even use on a regular 3DS, and whatever issues I've had with my hands has been most obvious when playing quick paced games on it.

I do think it helps that I don't really buy sports games or mainline Pokemon games anymore. Sports games to me will always be defined by the early 2000s, as it feels like so much of what was good and fun about them started disappearing in the era of HD game consoles, so the fact that sports games are underwhelming, from Nintendo or otherwise, is just how its been for a long time anyway.

I've critiqued Nintendo when necessary but I'd still rather play their games, on average, then any other major gaming company. And with AAA gaming feeling like its collapsing into literally nothing, it really stands out how Nintendo is the one company left that puts out games that people regularly notice even exist and also like. That sounds like so little, and yet here we are. In a similar note, the Switch feels like the one place that still reliably appreciates the types of games I'm fond of beyond the super mainstream stuff (both old and new), and as someone who spent the Wii generation especially nearly begging people to play anything other than the most mainstream games (poor Little King's Story, you deserved better), its also helped by fondness for this gen of Nintendo, regardless of if Nintendo ever even intended that or not.

in a related note of giving Nintendo credit because of how bad comparable things are, people sure are loving what will probably be an ok-ish movie because "video game movie made by Illumination with hilariously over-celebrity'd voice cast" is so bottom of the barrel and lame on the face of it that competence is amazing when taken into account. It also looks very nice visually, so fair enough. I do think its funny how many hardcore Nintendo fans are sick of Mario games only bringing in the most obvious old Mario references and nothing else new, and yet are loving it when a movie basically does the same thing. Probably a reason why I've not been as excited. I'm pretty sure Nintendo relied so much on Mario 3 nostalgia during the 3DS/Wii U days that it would make Disney tell them to slow down with the overselling of nostalgia.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

VoidofLight

My issue with the Switch library is more just how many of the first party offerings feel as if they do the bare minimum. Aside from Zelda, Xenoblade, and Luigi's Mansion, most of the first party offerings I've played left a bad taste in my mouth. Games like Mario Odyssey having this incredibly off feeling, as if the game was so close to reaching what it could've been, but then they released it the way that it was, or other big games that are just releasing with minimal content only to be added in later. Nintendo failed to understand how the balance of Decorating and Life Sim elements in Animal Crossing is what generally makes it special, with them overloading the decorating sim aspect in the newest game. The update models (which while tons of game companies do, doesn't mean it's good for Nintendo to do it) also ruin a ton of the switch first party games.

Again, maybe I'm just growing out of it, and Nintendo isn't for me anymore.

kkslider5552000

VoidofLight wrote:

Again, maybe I'm just growing out of it, and Nintendo isn't for me anymore.

I mean, part of it is you should play better Nintendo games (Mario Odyssey aside), but playing better non-Nintendo games is an equally valid point.

Or y'know, just not buying games at launch either, which is a very overrated concept in the first place (I've bought two games near launch this year, and that suits me just fine).

VoidofLight

@kkslider5552000 All I can say is that I’m most definitely not going to purchase the next animal crossing game until a year or two after release.

Pizzamorg

I have a couple in the wake of the Callisto Protocol reviews.

Puzzles should be exclusive to puzzle games, I’ve never played a game that uses puzzles as a pacing mechanism where I’ve thought “God, I love these puzzles, they are so fun! I am so glad the entire game I am playing has come to a complete standstill so I can do this puzzle!’.

In almost every game that uses this method, I solve the first couple and am bored to tears, so I then look for the answers for all the rest just to get through them as fast as I can, so I can get back to the real game. I am the player, let me pace my own experience, rather putting the game behind a wall of tedium and just locking me out of progression instead.

Secondly, linear, almost on rails, experiences have become a sorta dirty word in gaming. It is like every game is supposed to be a sprawling open world designed with almost a sole intention of making sure the player gets lost and somehow everything other than that is apparently a disappointment.

But when I think about my favourite games over the years, they are all basically fancily dressed corridors the player is Sheparded along, not those modern bloated open world games. I dunno when or really why linearity became a bad thing, but I honestly wish more games were a 10ish hour, tightly controlled, linear experience I can just play, put down and be done and free to move onto something else. I can think of a bunch of modern open world games that would have been vastly improved had they used this formula.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

kkslider5552000

Pizzamorg wrote:

I have a couple in the wake of the Callisto Protocol reviews.
Puzzles should be exclusive to puzzle games, I’ve never played a game that uses puzzles as a pacing mechanism where I’ve thought “God, I love these puzzles, they are so fun! I am so glad the entire game I am playing has come to a complete standstill so I can do this puzzle!’.

In almost every game that uses this method, I solve the first couple and am bored to tears, so I then look for the answers for all the rest just to get through them as fast as I can, so I can get back to the real game. I am the player, let me pace my own experience, rather putting the game behind a wall of tedium and just locking me out of progression instead.

Secondly, linear, almost on rails, experiences have become a sorta dirty word in gaming. It is like every game is supposed to be a sprawling open world designed with almost a sole intention of making sure the player gets lost and somehow everything other than that is apparently a disappointment.

But when I think about my favourite games over the years, they are all basically fancily dressed corridors the player is Sheparded along, not those modern bloated open world games. I dunno when or really why linearity became a bad thing, but I honestly wish more games were a 10ish hour, tightly controlled, linear experience I can just play, put down and be done and free to move onto something else. I can think of a bunch of modern open world games that would have been vastly improved had they used this formula.

I don't entirely agree with puzzles, particularly for games where the variety is part of their fun. But there are definitely enough examples where the puzzles are just there to kill the pacing more than anything (first ones that came to mind are that one area of the Earth Temple in Wind Waker and the slide puzzle in RE4).

I 100% agree with smaller games. Nearly all of my favorite games are 20 hours, 30 with side content, at absolute most. One of my top 20 games is just an hour long game with excellent replayability. Maybe if they made more of those, there would've been actual AAA game releases this year. Linear games became bad to people I assume because of the backlash to extreme examples like Final Fantasy XIII and most shooters that gen. I made a joke a long time ago that games need to stop with the extreme ends of being either a hallway simulator or open world in a game the size of a US state, and I think instead of more games with a happy middle ground they mostly just replaced the former with more of the latter.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic