Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 10,001 to 10,020 of 10,122

VoidofLight

I honestly dislike people who try an entry in a series that's known for being challenging, and revered as such, and then demand changes be made because it's "Too hard" for them, wanting an easy mode, or some sort of difficulty adjustment, instead of spending time getting good at the actual game. I'm not trying to come across as toxic, but nothing grinds my gears more than people who aren't fans of a series, and demand that it changes just so that the series caters to them. If you aren't good at a game, or don't like a game, then it's fine to not like said game, but don't try to demand that they make specific changes for you, and only for you. If you don't like RPGs, don't play a RPG, instead of demanding that it becomes a first person shooter battle royale game. If you don't like Darksouls, then just don't play Darksouls. I remember one guy I saw on Gamexplain wanted pokemon to be entirely different gameplay-wise, since he couldn't get into it, refusing to acknowledge that maybe the series just isn't for him.

Edited on by VoidofLight

Currently Playing: SoulCalibur VI, Professor Layton and the curious village, SMT V.

DarthNocturnal

Asking for an easy option isn't nearly as outlandish as asking for a complete genre shift though.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

VoidofLight

@DarthNocturnal In games like SMT or Darksouls, it is. Given how they're designed in their core.

Currently Playing: SoulCalibur VI, Professor Layton and the curious village, SMT V.

DarthNocturnal

@VoidofLight

Didn't SMT V add one or two easier settings? It seems Atlus didn't think it was outlandish.

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

Losermagnet

@VoidofLight yeah it bugs me too. Generally speaking I think most games should have options and try to be accessible, but when there's one series that makes its namesake on being challenging without offering an easy mode it somehow becomes a topic worth publishing articles over. I feel like it's a bit disingenuous too because, with something like Dark Souls, I feel like even if the game had an easy mode I doubt those people would suddenly like the game. They might be able to tear down one brick wall stopping their way, but behind that is just another brick wall.

And, this may be a hot take, but there are tons of games that don't have difficulty options that gamers dont complain about (a good number of Nintendo franchises for instance) so I don't believe the lack of it is even the problem. The problem is that gamers are faced with something they can't do and don't want to be bothered with. If somebody doesn't like Dark Souls - I totally get it, it has a lot of flaws. It's just that the difficulty isn't one of them.

Edited on by Losermagnet

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

VoidofLight

@Losermagnet The thing with Dark Souls, is the fact that a difficulty option would just break the game entirely, due to how difficulty is baked within the core of it's mechanics. They could make a game that doesn't have those mechanics, but it'd just end up ruining their artistic vision.

@DarthNocturnal It has a casual difficulty and easy difficulty, but the thing is that they're still pretty hard despite that.

DarthNocturnal

@VoidofLight

Wasn't there also the "Safety" option, via free DLC? Or is that what you meant by Casual?

VoidofLight

@DarthNocturnal That's what I meant by Casual. Aside from that though, all three of the built-in modes are pretty hard, even on the easiest setting.

Losermagnet

@VoidofLight definitely. Dark Souls is effective because it really feels hostile and it keeps you tense. Reduce that and it loses it's bite so-to-speak. Not to mention that death is part of the lore (constant death leads to hollowing, etc.) and the bloodstain mechanic when you die you lose all of your souls but have one chance to retrieve them. If you're not dieing as often then you will presumably have more souls which would further influence game balance. And you'd be less likely to interact with the community, asking for help, leaving/reading messages in-game. The only reason to do any of that is if you needed help, which is less likely to happen if you could adjust the difficulty. I really wish folks would understand why some of us get defensive about an "easy mode" in these games.

I'm having a similar experience with Returnal. You have to die to experience part of the story. I'm not finished with it yet but I dont mind getting killed in the game. Sure it stings when a good run that took a couple hours abruptly comes to an end, but the game keeps you on edge even when you restart. It's pretty great. But there's a ton of 1 star reviews on Amazon where people are complaining about just that. Again, there's no accounting for personal tastes but I feel like they can't see the forest for the trees.

Edited on by Losermagnet

DarthNocturnal

@VoidofLight

Ah. Still, the fact they offered more options means they can't be against it.

For the record, I agree that a game's difficulty is up to the developers. It's a "take it or leave it" situation. That's why I've not bothered with Dark Souls or Sekiro; I'm not confident in putting down money on something that might just be more frustrating then fun for me (then again, for all I know, I might like it). But then, I did get Cuphead, but a tough difficulty is common trait for it's genre. I may never beat it (not that I've been trying recently), but I'm OK with that.

I'm just not sure everyone asking for difficulty options is equivalent to asking for a game to be gutted and moved to a different genre altogether.

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

Pizzamorg

DarthNocturnal wrote:

Asking for an easy option isn't nearly as outlandish as asking for a complete genre shift though.

Amen.

SMT V is the ultimate example that all the claims that Dark Souls can’t have an easy mode without losing it’s identity or some crap are utter bollocks.

My @ handle everywhere is Pizzamorg.
My Friend Code is: SW-6997-6872-4381
Switch games currently playing: Wrestling Empire. Mario Party Superstars. Monster Hunter Rise and Generations Ultimate. Dicey Dungeons. RingFit Adventure. Loop Hero. Skyward Sword HD.

roy130390

@DarthNocturnal I really recommend you to give the series a try. Dark Souls games aren't even that challenging most of the time, at least not in the sense of games like Cuphead, Hollow Knight or classic Castlevania games. Sure, there's need for reflexes and a certain dexterity just as with most games, but there's lots of more ways to face a challenge than in those games and the difficulty can be considerably modified if you understand the world and it's builds. Some can destroy bosses in a few hits and tank a lot with little to no abilitiy needed.

It honestly makes me kinda sad the exaggerated reputation that these games are getting as I have been playing them since Demon's Souls on PS3 and I feel like it's pushing some people away. The challenge comes through understanding and accepting the one rule that these games have, which is "don't be stupid" within the game's logic and rules. Learning to not spam attacks and be aware of stamina, to be cautious when advancing and facing an enemy at once if possible, to have your shield ready and to understand and take care of equipment goes a really long way in these games. It really is all there is for the most part and for most challenges.

Just to be clear I'm not a great player, I'm pretty average. I might be selling their difficulty short for many but I really think that these games are way more accessible than many other games out there and that most of it's challenge comes from how intimidating their world is until you understand the game. Then, it's like you suddenly take a big step and whatever was blinding you has been removed.

I might lose some credibility as I have a Dark Souls profile picture haha.

Oh and if you ever play them, always remember to Log out! That prevents other more experienced players from attacking you until you are ready.

Also, happy Holidays to everyone!

Edited on by roy130390

Switch Friend Code: SW-3916-4876-1970

VoidofLight

@Pizzamorg The thing is, Dark Souls can’t without losing it’s identity. SMT got around it, given it’s a Turn based rpg. Darksouls was made to be punishing, and made to be frustrating intentionally. It’s the entire reason the game exists, and to make an easy mode would mean they’d have to cut mechanics that were made purposefully to screw with the players. It’s a game made to be hard for the sake of it, and if you learn how to play it, and learn the boss patterns it becomes satisfying. Same with Metroidvanias intentionally being difficult. Hollow Knight isn’t a game that’d benefit from having some sort of easy mode, given how it was designed to be intentionally hard and frustrating. You’re meant to learn as you play, and if it’s not having that effect on you, then it’s probably best you don’t play the games.

Games like the souls-like games are niche for a reason. Same with metroidvanias.

VoidofLight

@roy130390 Wait, the souls games are online? Also, I’ve been looking into getting into the series, since I like games where I need to learn enemy patterns to be successful. The only thing that’s really stopping me is that I’m not really great with gore. I can handle blood spray, but nothing like guts or dismemberment. DOOM levels of stuff basically.

roy130390

@VoidofLight Yup! Online allows for communication with brief messages, co-op and pvp. Even though co-op is another great way to make the game more accessible, I recommend to stay logged out as much as possible as invaders are quite active in many areas and will be quite bothersome. Just as with everything, online works within the game's logic, so for example, if you died and haven't revived yourself, invaders can't invade you. However, it also means that you can't summon other players for help. A good way around it is to be alive/revive yourself in the bonfire while logged out and reach the boss door (fog wall), quit the game, log in, and then load it as the game lets you continue wherever you are as long as you don't die and now you'll probably see summon signs of players that are willing to help. If you get invaded, just cross the fog wall so that at least you can face the boss without having to face the invader.

As for the gore, I don't like it either. I wouldn't say that these games are gory as the most that you will see is blood. There's lots of creepy/ dark fantasy stuff all over the place though, so as long as you don't have trouble with that you'll be alright. I'd say that Doom is more gory/ graphic than this.

Oh, just to mention it in case that it's relevant, there's some kind of dismemberment: you can cut some creature tails, but it's optional and it really isn't gory as the part disappears/turns into an item and I think that there's just blood for a moment. No guts, organs of any other kind of stuff that I can remember.

Edited on by roy130390

Switch Friend Code: SW-3916-4876-1970

Pizzamorg

VoidofLight wrote:

@Pizzamorg The thing is, Dark Souls can’t without losing it’s identity. SMT got around it, given it’s a Turn based rpg. Darksouls was made to be punishing, and made to be frustrating intentionally. It’s the entire reason the game exists, and to make an easy mode would mean they’d have to cut mechanics that were made purposefully to screw with the players. It’s a game made to be hard for the sake of it, and if you learn how to play it, and learn the boss patterns it becomes satisfying. Same with Metroidvanias intentionally being difficult. Hollow Knight isn’t a game that’d benefit from having some sort of easy mode, given how it was designed to be intentionally hard and frustrating. You’re meant to learn as you play, and if it’s not having that effect on you, then it’s probably best you don’t play the games.

Games like the souls-like games are niche for a reason. Same with metroidvanias.

I mean that is simply not true at all, mechanical changes are not the same as difficulty changes. Difficulty is not a universal, binary, thing. Things that are hard for some, are not hard for everyone and vice versa. You can leave the mechanics entirely alone and just tweak things like damage outputs, input windows etc for different gamers. Granular difficulty really is the future. Any argument otherwise is exclusivism, elitism or goal post moving.

Switch games currently playing: Wrestling Empire. Mario Party Superstars. Monster Hunter Rise and Generations Ultimate. Dicey Dungeons. RingFit Adventure. Loop Hero. Skyward Sword HD.

Losermagnet

@roy130390 Thank you for your post - I have been saying that the Soulsborne games aren't that hard for awhile but I felt very alone in that opinion. I think in most cases you can get through the games with some perseverance and lateral thinking. And I don't play them online either, so I never encountered any grief from other players lol. Anyways, thanks again and happy holidays 😁

@VoidofLight Dude if you get into the games let me know. I played through all of them this last year and I've been dieing to talk more about it 😂 roy130390's post is really on-point with everything, but I'll add the horror/gore elements will vary slightly depending on the game. If it's just Dark Souls you're looking into then you're fine but something like Bloodborne has more blood and gore in it (though nothing like DOOM). Anyway, happy holidays to you as well!

VoidofLight

@Pizzamorg Changing damage outputs won't make a game that's hard mechanically any easier.

VoidofLight

@roy130390 Ah, alright! I'll probably look into the souls games more, and eventually get into them. Demon Souls for ps5 caught my interest, but I might start with the Dark Souls switch port.

Pizzamorg

VoidofLight wrote:

@Pizzamorg Changing damage outputs won't make a game that's hard mechanically any easier.

Obvs, which is why it isn’t the only thing I listed.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic