Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 9,981 to 10,000 of 10,076

VoidofLight

@iLikeUrAttitude Yeah, it's strange that this dude's talking like Xenoblade was responsible for Golden Sun's death or something.

Currently Playing: SoulCalibur VI, Professor Layton and the curious village, SMT V.

Pizzamorg

On the topic of MH/demos, I think one of the biggest problems with MH is how unfriendly they are to new players. I am honestly sort of amazed MH ends up having as big of an audience as it does, as while there will always be those who take pride in overcoming the unintuitive, otherwise as each game utterly drowns the player in mechanics and systems, and either provides no tutorialisation at all or very limited/hard to access tutorials, I am amazed that like 95% don't just bounce.

I remember with World I had some limited experience with some older games and a vet to the franchise walking me through and it probably still took me like 30 hours before I really started to understand what was actually going on and properly started to engage/click with the game. That is just frankly an insane investment to ask of a player and honestly had I not been playing with my friend, I would have just given up in a fraction of the time.

I do feel like Rise makes a lot of changes to make it a more friendly experience for a new players, with a better designed hub area, simplified gear systems and more modern feeling combat but then maybe I just felt that way because I was fresh off of World at the time. The thing that does make me think Rise is just generally a better new player experience is going back and playing Generations Ultimate, which as a new player, kinda reminds me of being dropped into World for the first time, with it's confusing and unnecessarily maze like hub areas, convoluted skill thresholds on gear and some very dated feeling moment to moment gameplay.

My @ handle everywhere is Pizzamorg.
My Friend Code is: SW-6997-6872-4381
Switch games currently playing: Wrestling Empire. Monster Hunter GU. RingFit Adventure. Loop Hero. Skyward Sword HD.
PC games currently playing: Monster Hunter Rise. Expeditions Rome. Wolcen.

Snatcher

@Pizzamorg Oh ya, the older ones where just like, here weapon, here monster, kill. there is actually a really funny online comic poking fun at it.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside.

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Pizzamorg

Snatcher wrote:

@Pizzamorg Oh ya, the older ones where just like, here weapon, here monster, kill. there is actually a really funny online comic poking fun at it.

Yeah, it just drowns you in a mixture of monster hunts and quest straight out of an MMO and then doesn't tell you what quests actually progress things forwards, so you either have to look up a guide or be ready to invest A LOT of hours. And like for some people that might be fine, even a selling point perhaps, but I don't have time for that style of game any more.

Oh and trying to play that game with other players if you aren't playing with friends is kind of a nightmare, too.

You compare that to Rise, where it is so easy to jump into a game with strangers and it is structured in such a way that it is always clear what you are progressing towards and how to get there. Going through the Village quests as like a tutorial and to make your starting build, before going into the GH and playing with randos.

Switch games currently playing: Wrestling Empire. Monster Hunter GU. RingFit Adventure. Loop Hero. Skyward Sword HD.

Snatcher

@Pizzamorg I love MH but the people asking for older monster hunter to come back, some things just need to stay in the past.

Also did you know, if you want to do a story quest with friends, each and every one of you is going to have to do the quest as a leader of the party? crazy stuff.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside.

Pizzamorg

Snatcher wrote:

@Pizzamorg I love MH but the people asking for older monster hunter to come back, some things just need to stay in the past.

Also did you know, if you want to do a story quest with friends, each and every one of you is going to have to do the quest as a leader of the party? crazy stuff.

Yeah, there were some pockets of the MH community who complained about Rise being "too easy" or "too streamlined" and other such things, but I am really glad Rise didn't listen and pushed forwards with making a more modern, more accessible, title. In a day and age where every game seems to want to be the next Dark Souls, the fact that Rise went for more fun rather than more frustration, is just kind of a miracle.

My only worry is Sunbreak will see some buckling to the older, harder, clunkier MH due to the complaints, rather than the ethos that drives Rise. However, I can only hope they stick to their guns and Sunbreak remains as fun as Rise was.

Also in GU, I will probably work my way through the Village quests and then just put that game down. It's too complicated/unintuitive to try and do multiplayer quests. And it isn't like I won't get my moneys worth, I think it took me about 15 hours just to get to three star village quests.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

VoidofLight

I wish that they didn’t get rid of the more survival elements of mh though; like warm and cold drinks, and wish that harder hunts were actually harder.

Currently Playing: SoulCalibur VI, Professor Layton and the curious village, SMT V.

Buizel

VoidofLight wrote:

@Snatcher Two games that demos never click with me, but I like: Tales of and Monster Hunter. The demos just don't really ease you into the complex systems.

I find the opposite with Monster Hunter.

I played the Rise demo with some friends and got a bit of a kick trying out all the classes to defeat the monsters on offer.

But whenever I play a full game I get bored after a couple of hours. I'm just not keen on the core gameplay loop - it feels too grindy and repetitive to me.

As for the Xenoblade 1 vs 2 discussion: personally I put them on equal footing. I think 1 has the better story, and 2 the better gameplay. And to that I add another unpopular opinion: I don't think the XC2 battle system is too complicated at all.

Edited on by Buizel

Previously "timleon" and "HunterLeon"

Currently playing: Pokemon Brilliant Diamond, Shin Megami Tensei V, Ghost of Tsushima

Pizzamorg

VoidofLight wrote:

I wish that they didn’t get rid of the more survival elements of mh though; like warm and cold drinks, and wish that harder hunts were actually harder.

Whereas I don't miss any of that at all. I am glad Rise focused on fighting the monster and basically removed everything else. For me, the fact you need to keep consuming things in GU just slows everything down and makes it unnecessarily frustrating. With World, needing to navigate those massive maps, chasing monsters around... no thank you.

Also in regards to the difficulty, I don't really agree either. Most of World's difficulty come from BS/frustrating design decisions which actively throttled the player's power. I can recognise why some may be more disappointed that we are on like a more equal footing in Rise, but I like in Rise that when I die, it is on me, my mistake. The amount of times I died in World to just complete random nonsense, which you couldn't learn or plan for or build around, I just don't miss that at all.

But I know I am kinda niche on this, I don't like survival mechanics at all. One of the worst parts of BOTW for me was locking areas of the map effectively behind elements, to me it adds nothing to the experience to need to wear a specific outfit or need to drink a specific potion or whatever every now and then.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

Snatcher

@Pizzamorg GU is going to be the long run, I too a break around rank 5, so if you need a break you should do it.

@VoidofLight I do miss cooling drinks, they were so easy to make anyway.

Snatcher

@Snaplocket Xenoblade came out on the wii, many people liked it, it became popular, Golden sun, people liked it, it became popular, and its last entry, was on a DS!

As much as I think it would have been cool for it to be in smash, (Assist trophy) Xenoblade was having its wii and 3ds port at the time, so not only did it make sense, but it was also one of nintendos good RPG's (Sorry if its not an RPG), and then SSBU got one character from xenoblade 2, and remember how xenoblade 2 was sell out when they were shown off?

So lets look at why Xenoblade might have this favoritism you speak off.

Xenoblade was on the wii, it got ported to the wii u and the new 3ds, so already, new console owners could play and try those games,

Its got ported to the switch, on top of getting a part 2, again, very accessible, at this point you can (Almost) get every xenoblade, the two main parts, on any nintendo console of choice, form the last three.

Wile golden sun over here, is stuck in the past, with there last game being on the DS, so to be fair, even if I wanted to play this game, I can't even if I wanted to test it, buy it, Can't!

But if they were to bring it back one day, that would be great, but saying Xenoblade gets favoritism? there not even milking it, they had 2 games, and they just ported said games to there next consoles.

VoidofLight

@Snaplocket Well if Xenoblade 2 had better voice acting, explain why Rex legit can’t scream, and why Shulk’s scream manages to send chills down people’s spines to this day.

CactusMan

@VoidofLight The one ho wrote the script is more to blame. The first Xenoblade chronicled highlights were screaming ´Dixon!´ and ´Dunban!´. I don´t know who was the voice actor of Rikki I would hire that person for Looney Tunes cartones.
Those Final Fantasy x voice actors did a great job too. Blame the script wtiters.

Edited on by CactusMan

Bamm!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6657-1971-4787

VoidofLight

@CactusMan I mean, the script writer isn’t responsible for the voice casting or direction.

VoidofLight

@CactusMan I mean, that was still majorly from the voice director, and the scene was purposely meant to be like that. Xenoblade 2 wasn't supposed to have a protagonist that sounds like an old dude throwing out his back when he screams, neither in the script or in the voice direction, but they just had a terrible voice director that time around.

kkslider5552000

I think Xenoblade 2 (and tbh BOTW) might've had issues of the dubbed voice acting being done ASAP because the game had to come out ASAP in America as well as Japan. That combined with getting a consistent lineup early in the Switch's lifespan probably made it so doing various takes was not considered. The fact that the Warriors spinoff of BOTW had the better voice direction and Xenoblade 2 stands out from the rest of the series for its inconsistent voice acting adds to my theory.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

VoidofLight

@kkslider5552000 I just think 2 itself was incredibly rushed, hence the horrible tutorials, and the missing options that were added back as DLC. The only thing that I don't think was rushed was the story, which wasn't great until it got to the end.

kkslider5552000

What's weird is that because X was made by a different team at Monolithsoft, people assume 2 was in development since 1. I feel pretty confident in saying that's not true, or at least not in the way that they had a real full team for the majority of that time. And I can't possibly imagine even the biggest fan of 2 believing its a flawless game (unless they focus only on a few of the core parts of the game and switched to Japanese).

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic