Forums

Topic: The Unoffical TV Show Mega Thread

Posts 361 to 380 of 962

jump

@Mioaionios @Mioaionios Its just people being lazy innit. Empathy/understanding requires work so they default to "I'm not gonna get pOLiTiCaLZ but that thing is PoLiTcAlZ and therefore bad" (which is just insulting to actual politics) to avoid trying to understand it. It's sad as She Hulk is more like Deadpool of quippy fun than the rage trauma of Hulk so they threw it out as a valid reason of controlling her rage so they can move on from it but people are so hung up on it. Some folks had their minds made up already before watching it as they have jumped on this silly zeitgeist outrage which is filling a void that was once held by The Satanic Panic, The Red Scare or The Salem Witch Trials fads. It seems to mostly affect popcorn entertainment like Disney which is kept simple enough to attract a wide enough audience but as it's simple it also brings people with simple opinions. The same thing happened with Turning Red, an article was posted on here so the comments section went nuts over a kids cartoon.

Anyway...almost all things I watch are completed seasons/shows but I have two exceptions and both of them are on at the moment. 🙂 The glorious nihilist rant which gets hidden behind it's fart jokes Rick & Morty which is already hitting top form this season by picking up it's loose threads and it typical cynical fashion mock themselves for it whilst building on them.

The other is Star Trek Lower Decks, a glowing love letter to celebrate all things Star Trek but still pokes fun at Star Trek. They have brough back one of my favourite old Trek characters General Martok and used him brilliantly, it's just a shame it was only an one off appearance.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Mioaionios

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power episode 3 was magnificent, and surprisingly violent at the end. I'm really digging this show so far.

Mioaionios

RR529

Finished up a couple shows over the weekend.

Midnight Diner season 2 (Netflix) - Continues to be a good watch with some surprisingly emotional episodes. You can definitely tell it had a higher budget compared to season 1 as well.

Cars on the Road (Disney+) - I've always had a bit of a soft spot for the Cars franchise, so I thought this was pretty cute, and elicited a few laughs.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Maxenmus

Oh boy, looks like I missed some spicy She-Hulk talk over here. lol Not that I'd ever watch that horrible show. Oh no, I'm a sexist because I won't watch a stupid show. Bite me.

Maxenmus

Switch Friend Code: SW-7926-2339-9775 | 3DS Friend Code: 3539-9678-8621 | My Nintendo: Flare | Nintendo Network ID: OriusPrime

Kevesilanz

I pulled the plug on Disney+ yesterday.
It was a long time coming, but the current crises combined with the low amount of actual good stuff being released on the service, made me realize that money is better spend on other things... like M&Ms.

Xenoblade Enthusiast

jump

@Monoahlith I find Disney+ is really a legacy platform for it's old stuff however the best new offerings aren't Marvel & Star Wars (which always hits a certain level of quality where even the "garbage" shows people obsess over it) but really the adult shows. Atlanta, Abbot Elementary, The Drop Out, Pam & Tommy, Dopesick, Pistols, Prey etc are exceptionally good.

I am feeling mixed by Solar Opposites though, created by one of the creators of Rick & Morty. It leans too much towards Family Guy rather than Rick & Morty, I find the subplot of the miniaturised abducted humans living in a make shift world better than the main show, and it makes me end up appreciating Rick & Morty more as they keep getting it's writers pinched by Marvel yet the quality has remained tight.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Kevesilanz

@jump
Its legacy content is indeed excellent, but most of those can be found elsewhere.
Prey I thought was pretty good but if that's the best D+ original movie until now, that's pretty sad if you ask me. Not into Rick & Morty or Solar Opposites, so can't comment on those. Atlanta is excellent.

I'm going to handle D+ like I do with other subscription services from now on and subscribe for a month every once in a while to catch up on everything and then cancel the subscription again for a while until enough new content has been released. Been doing that with Netflix for years now.

Xenoblade Enthusiast

jump

@Monoahlith I would have thought you would have rated Luca as their best original movie since you had it as an user name/profile many, many users ago.

I'm struggling to view Netflix as something to keep. These $100+ million movies they make are so unremarkable even with the A list talent both in front and behind the camera yet still come off as straight to DVD quality and the drama/thriller movies seem more miss than hit with the good ones seem to be independent movies sold at film festivals rather than Netflix produced. Alot of the shows I liked have now all ended now and there's not much coming into fill the gaps, even Stranger Things I'd be happy to miss as it's gone too teen rather spooky wooky. It also didn't help that Millarworld wasn't the Marvel replacement they thought it was and should have just saved their money and renewed Daredevil. Plus I'm still sad over Cowboy Bebop, they were SO close to getting it right.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Kevesilanz

@jump
No, you're right. Luca for animation, Prey for live action. I should have specified that.

Xenoblade Enthusiast

Kevesilanz

Reviews for the new Star Wars show Andor are out and they're very strong.
I might have to re-subscribe to Disney+ to watch this.

Xenoblade Enthusiast

RR529

Shows I've finished in the last few weeks.

Midnight Diner season 3 (Netflix) - Pretty much more of the same, but that's no bad thing. There was an episode early on centered around the younger Yakuza guy (can't think of his name off hand) that was absolutely gut wrenching. Loved the final episode where they got everyone back for the New Year celebration though.

High School of the Dead (Blu-Ray) - I'll never get over how genuinely good this show is. Yes, it's filled with OTT ecchi/cheesecake, but it genuinely takes it's concept & world building surprisingly seriously. It's animation is leagues above what I've usually come to expect from "fan service" fare, the action is super fun, & yet it knows when to step up and clue you in on how the world at large (and government/military agencies) is reacting to the breakout. I even warmed to all the American-isms that were almost certainly added to the dub (references to Wal-Mart, the NRA, even Sarah Palin, etc.) which ended up complementing the tone, IMO. I'm stunned it never got a season 2.

Triage X (Blu-Ray) - Based on a manga by the same guy who made HOTD above, I have similar thoughts about this one. The animation is noticeably not quite as good, but here we have another "ecchi" anime that vies to take it's narrative/action elements seriously (this time about a group of hospital workers, & students from an affiliated high school, who moonlight as vigilantes during the night, "operating on the health of the city"), to be more than just T&A. Like the above, it never moved beyond it's first season though, which is a shame (at least I have the manga to fall back on).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

XandertheWise

tonight ive been watching the pilot episode of Eureka that i recorded earlier today since the Sy Fy Channel had a little marathon of Eureka during the morning

XandertheWise

jump

Yo @Kevesilanz are you still about or have you changed your name again and I didn't realise?

I remember you talking about having a huge amount of love for Deep Space Nine. I've just watched the new Lower Decks episode where they did a cross over with DS9 with the actors playing Quark and Kira coming back to reprise their roles. The opening is fantastic where they poke loving fun about having to stare in awe at the station pylons.

Nicolai wrote:

Okami1

There is a Barney true crime series coming out.

also true crime legit needs to stop right now and slow down.

dysgraphia awareness human

jump

@Kermit1 I vaguely saw something about this already as Amber Heard’s mates are producing it. Not that it would change the quality of this as it’s gonna be rubbish no matter what.

I think you’re being abit hard on true crime. Just like any genre there’s complete pish and shows of genuine quality. Like for example I really enjoyed Dopesick as they explained the how and why the US legal opioids epidemic happened by showing the set up of an aggressive sales system and tricked doctors with tricky mathematical graphs and talk of being liable for not treating pain.

Nicolai wrote:

Okami1

@jump I probably should have said it needs to take a chill pill. But then again it's making someone money somewhere.

jump

@Kermit1 all shows are making someone money regardless of the genre.

Ignoring thrash like Depp vs Heard which is really celeb gossip or crass and inaccurate sensationalism like that new Dharma show I think true crime about white collar criminals is good for the average person at least. Like the point I was trying to make earlier it makes those crimes more accessible to understand as too often it flys over the average person’s head so they don’t care as much as they should.

Nicolai wrote:

Okami1

@jump I don't really know how to feel about true crime. On the one hand it shows the true evil of people and can educate people, on the other it kinda slightly glorifies pure evil in a way.

I'd say more but if my George RR Martin rant (that was on this thread) is anything to show I'm not good with words.

Keveseunie

I've been watching Rings of Power and while I liked the first two episodes for its grandeur, episodes 3, 4 and 5 were way too slow and it got very apparent that they're breaking canon from the books left and right. Episode 6 was really good though. I guess the only ways to appreciate this show is to either ignore everything you know about what Tolkien wrote in the Silmarillion and appendices or never having read them in the first place.

Also been seeing Andor on D+. My goodness, this is real Star Wars. By far the best SW content Disney has made so far.

jump wrote:

I remember you talking about having a huge amount of love for Deep Space Nine. I've just watched the new Lower Decks episode where they did a cross over with DS9 with the actors playing Quark and Kira coming back to reprise their roles. The opening is fantastic where they poke loving fun about having to stare in awe at the station pylons.

Still haven't gotten around to watching Lower Decks but every time you mention it my interest gets piqued.

Yes, Eunie's the boss!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6743-9539-7390

Fizza

In today's edition of 'random news story you won't be able to predict until you read it'.
https://twitter.com/i/events/1577327739807272960
It's been hinted at for ages but still: good for her.

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic