Forums

Topic: The Table Top Gaming thread

Posts 381 to 400 of 444

Themagusx1

@Tasuki Nice I will have to track down those two books. Contenders sounds pretty awesome. The perfect warrior I will have to track down. Thanks for the link to the wiki page. I think I will see if I can track down the missing books for the whole set. So you said earlier you ran this game a few years ago?

Themagusx1

Tyranexx

@Anti-Matter I too would suggest looking into the board game Hex and creating a simplified form for young students. If they were a bit older I'd suggest something similar to Catan, but that's typically for ages 10 and up.

@Themagusx1 I kinda figured it was based on some version of Street Fighter II going by the dates, but I wasn't sure which one. I'm not normally very into fighting games, but the Turbo version especially holds a special place in my heart. I've not played the TT version of Vampire The Masquerade, but I'm interested by WoD as a whole and have played a couple Switch VNs that are set in it. I'd also like to try Bloodlines on PC eventually.

@Tasuki I appreciate the explanation! As mentioned above, I've not played any TT World of Darkness campaigns, but they do intrigue me, particularly Werewolf: The Apocalypse. Including the gameplay systems. I didn't realize this game was a big thing back then. Crazy that there are that many books!

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trials and Tribulations (Switch/AAT)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Themagusx1

@Tyranexx Nice I got the Vampire VNs as well but have not played them. I also have one based off of Werewolf:the apocalypse. There is also White Wolfs chronicles of darkness line which I own several of those. It’s different t versions for example they have Vampire:The Requiem instead of Vampire the masquerade.

Also I think my group and I will be playing Dread the rpg that uses a jenga tower instead of dice. Have you told you about that before? I think I may have.

Themagusx1

Tasuki

@Themagusx1 Well, I ran it back when I first got it for my group of friends I want to say between the years 1995 to 1999. I did play it again about 8 years ago when I was introducing my son to TTRPGS.

@Tyranexx @Themagusx1 I played WoD for awhile as well, most Vampire the Masquerade but I did play Mage the Accession too. Did you guys know that at one point Fox had a television show based on Vampire the Masquerade?

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Themagusx1

@Tasuki A tv show based on Vampire? That’s pretty cool, I did not know that. I always wanted to play mage. How was Mage compared to vampire?

Themagusx1

Tasuki

@Themagusx1 Yeah it was called Kindred the Embraced

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kindred:_The_Embraced

Sadly it didn't last.long only 8 episodes before it was canceled due to several factors, low rating and then the death of the main star. It was released on DvD about 20 years ago and can probably be found on the internet somewhere.

As for Mage it pretty much played the same as Vampire only thing instead of Vampire Clans you had something else. I just don't remember now as I only played it for a few months and that was 20 years ago.

My Backlog

Themagusx1

@Tasuki Gotcha, so it uses the same system that Vampire did. And as for the tv series, that sucks, but maybe hey have it on YouTube since it’s only eight episodes long. I am curious if you are familiar with the Rage card game which is based off of Werewolf the apocalypse. I had two decks when I was in middle school, but everyone was playing Magic though.

Themagusx1

Tasuki

@Themagusx1 Yeah all those World of Darkness games used the same system which was neat because you have everything in one big campaign. Funny enough my friends and I discussed that when we played years ago. One of us would get Vampire the Masquerade another one Werewolf the Apocalypse another one Mage and so on to do one big Super Campaign.

I am not familiar with Rage play wise but I do remember seeing it. I remember the Vampire the Masquerade card when it was called Jyhad. I played that back in High School along with MtG. Obviously now it's no longer called that but I believe it's still around.

My Backlog

Themagusx1

@Tasuki Yeah that is a cool idea mixing all of those different characters into one super campaign. Speaking of the card games, oh yeah there was a vampire one too. I wish I had my rage cards not sure what happened to them. I wonder what the vampire card game is called now.

It’s cool you have back ground with a lot of the White Wolf stuff. Did you ever play Exalted?

Themagusx1

Tasuki

@Themagusx1 It's called Vampire: The External Struggle because obviously they didn't want to use Jyhad anymore, I can only imagine what a PR nightmare that would be.

I never played or even looked at Exalted before. Most of my experience with White Wolf is Street Fighter and the WoD games.

My Backlog

Themagusx1

@Tasuki I will have to look into that card game. I am always looking for a new card game to play.

I never played exalted, but the only thing fantasy from White Wolf I am familiar with is the Sword and Sorcery line that they released for D&D 3.0 and 3.5.

Themagusx1

Tasuki

@Themagusx1 Right, I remember they are the ones that did Ravenloft for 3rd Edition. Always thought that was ironic that White Wolf did Ravenloft for 3rd lol.

My Backlog

Themagusx1

@Tasuki lol that is pretty ironic. I never played the 3e Ravenloft but I did own some of the S&S monster manuals and I think I even had a deity book from them as well. This conversation makes me want to dig out my Chronicles of Darkness books.lol

Themagusx1

Tyranexx

@Themagusx1 I got VtM: Shadows of New York and found it...okay. Not bad but not great. Wasn't fond of the MC. Sorta wish I'd gotten Coteries since you can choose from three different characters to play as instead. I still might sometime. Conversely, I quite liked Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Heart of the Forest. It feels a bit rushed once the pieces for the MC start coming together, but I found it enjoyable enough - with different story paths you can take - that I've played through it more than once. I know of the existence of the Chronicle of Darkness line, but I know very little about those.

As for that Dread RPG, I think you have mentioned it before. Not sure if I've even played normal Jenga, so I'll take your word that it's fun.

@Tasuki Vampire The Masquerade seems to be the most popular of the bunch, and I can understand why since they are, ultimately, closer to humans and their ambitions. I don't know if I'd make a good vampire in that universe though. At least not when it comes to the The Camarilla or Sabbat. Maybe that means I'd make a decent Anarch. I had no clue there was a TV show!

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trials and Tribulations (Switch/AAT)

Tasuki

@Tyranexx Yeah Vampire was the most popular. I think it was just the timing of the release. It came out when Vampire's began the rise in popularity. In the cinemas you had Bram Stroker's Dracula with Gary Oldman come out around that time not to mention Interview with the Vampire with Tom Cruise and of course Marvel's Blade with Wesley Snipes. You also had the whole goth subculture movement going on too at the time.

As I said a few posts back, you may have missed it, the TV series was only around for 8 episodes it aired on Fox here in the US and was called Kindred the Embraced. It did have a DVD release about 20 years ago but I am pretty sure you can find it somewhere on the web. Heck it migh be on YouTube. It actually portrayed the game really well. Only thing was not every clan was in the show. From my understanding season two was going introduce the clans that weren't in season one but as I said before cancelation and the main star's death in real life meant that a season 2 was never made.

My Backlog

Themagusx1

@Tyranexx I will have to play through all three of those VNs for the worlds of Darkness. I have them and I been on a Visual Novel kick as of late I am tempted to play at least one of those VNs. As for Chronicles of Darkness, they were initially a reboot of The Worlds of Darkness, but now they are considered a separate line. If you could would ever try to get your group to play the World of Darkness? There are so many table top rpgs out there….

Themagusx1

Tyranexx

@Tasuki Makes sense. The Dracula adaptation with Gary Oldman is pretty good IMO. Haven't seen the other two movies mentioned, but I've heard they're also decent. I believe Interview with the Vampire was originally an Anne Rice novel? Kindred the Embraced....Sounds interesting from a historical perspective. I might search the episodes sometime. Shame the main star passed away though. Mark Frankel?

@Themagusx1 Part of my problem was not buying Coteries first, but I didn't know Shadows of New York was a direct sequel at the time. Many of the same characters make an appearance. What governed my decision was space mainly. XD Steam is currently running VN Fest if you don't mind playing on PC. I did know Chronicles of Darkness was intended as a reboot, but I didn't know the status of WoD and am happy to read that's also still going. Not sure if my current group would try a WoD setting, but I'd be open to some of them.

Tasuki

@Tyranexx Yeah Mark Frankel. He played the prince of the city and sadly after the first season wrapped up he was killed in an automobile accident. His son is an actor now he's in House of Dragons.

Interview with the Vampire is based off of Anne Rice's novel. As a movie adapted from a book it's decent it's not Harry Potter but it's not as bad as say Fantastic Four.

My Backlog

Themagusx1

@Tyranexx I need to play those vampire games, and yeah saw that awesome VN sale on steam. I know this is off topic, but are there other VNs that might interest you? Any hoo I wonder if my group would play either worlds or chronicles of darkness.

On the board game(card game) front been playing a quick and fun game called Here to Slay. It’s only twenty bucks and well worth it. It uses little animal takes on fantasy tropes and whoever slays the most wins. But other players can sabotage you.

Themagusx1

Tyranexx

@Tasuki Oof. It's usually the unexpected deaths that hit the hardest. I've heard of him before, though I admit I would have been pretty young when that happened. As for Interview with the Vampire, I'd like to read the book before I watch the movie, though I think I've somehow seen a couple scenes online from it.

@Themagusx1 I'm fairly interested in some Visual Novels and have a small handful backlogged. Mostly from Ace Attorney series, but I have AI: The Somnium Files waiting on me too. There are others I've heard are worth my time, like Danganronpa and Higurashi. Those will be awhile off due to my current backlog though.

Here to Slay sounds interesting for sure. Sabotage games are always great fun. My only worry is finding the wrong group where friendships are ended.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic