Forums

Topic: The Dungeon and Dragons Thread

Posts 221 to 240 of 637

FroZtedFlake

We finally met up last night (as I said) and had a pretty fun session.
We spent a little too long chatting and shopping at the beginning but from the last session we gained some plot dump stuff and were expecting a raid on the town. To our surprise an adult white dragon came as part of the raid and our dragonborn paladin decided to fly up and try to reason with it. He was blasted out of the sky and hit the floor taking BIG damage. We had to finish our ground battles, we failed and they escaped with an unknown magic book. We rushed over and with some quick thinking we used a previous item to keep him alive, but his life is on a timer and we all know it.
It was a pretty crazy session but really fun.

@Themagusx1 I have a friend who harvests body parts from literally every monster we fight, and most of them just rot in his bag of holding lol

@Magitek_Knight Yeah, it can be tricky to get into it, and I'd always expect that improv comedy bit to be there. But, if you get the right group and a DM that's a good storyteller, there's nothing else quite as fun to do with your buddies. I personally kind of dislike DMing, I've tried it and usually just don't have as much fun. Also, with the math part, if you create a character on D&D Beyond, a ton of that math is automated and made a LOT easier.

Games I'm playing right now:
Tears of the Kingdom - Switch

Kingdom Hearts 2 - PS4
Ace Attorney Trilogy - Switch

Tyranexx

@Themagusx1 Probably a one-on-one duel with Landragosa (that half-dragon we downed in the recent big battle in our main campaign) earlier on. Our characters were weaker then, and the DM was rolling VERY well during that bout despite the fact that my rolls weren't too bad either. He downed my character but thankfully didn't off her after I started rolling death saves.

@Tasuki Ah, so it's worth it to harvest them....If you're daring, lucky, and want a hefty gold amount lol.

@FroZtedFlake That sounds like a great session! Though I'm admittedly quite biased towards almost anything involving dragons.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Themagusx1

@FroZtedFlake I wonder why your friend does that? Hey depending on the monster, some of those parts can be valuable lol

@Tyranexx is it not intense when you are downed huh? That sounds quite a bit like the intense battle, is that the only time you been downed?

Themagusx1

Tasuki

Had another great session tonight. The group ended up meeting some important people tonight. They meet the Scribe Warden of a place called the Vallum Steeple which is a library museum place. It was here that the company learned some more about the world as well as took a job to track down artifacts and such for the museum, think Indiana Jones. After that they group decided to return some items to the next of kin of the taverns owners that were killed last session., which he was grateful for. Not much in the way of combat but the story got to move forward a bit more.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Tyranexx

@Themagusx1 ...Come to think of it, yes I believe so. I've had a couple of close shaves since, but my character actually has a decent HP pool despite being a half-caster. Though I think all of our players have had a downed (if not dead) character at one point. Out of the four actual players, only two of us have our original character. One is on their second character, and the other is on their...fourth? He has an interesting way of playing. XD

@Tasuki Sounds like a great story session. While I quite enjoy combat in D&D, I'm usually a sucker for some interesting story bits and lore in any fictional world that catches my attention.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

FroZtedFlake

@Themagusx1 Yep that's why, he just wants them for money and trophies I guess, it's pretty funny sometimes.
@Tyranexx my current character is a cleric/ranger and their hp pool is surprisingly big right now... I have't taken as many cleric levels as ranger though so I'm sure that's why

Games I'm playing right now:
Tears of the Kingdom - Switch

Kingdom Hearts 2 - PS4
Ace Attorney Trilogy - Switch

Themagusx1

@Tyranexx one is on their fourth character? Dang, I wonder what this interesting way of playing is?
@FroZtedFlake that’s always a good way to make money. Does your own character have any strange quirks like that?

Themagusx1

Tyranexx

@FroZtedFlake I think I've been rolling pretty well for HP upgrades; our group hit level 11 recently, and I rolled pretty well for my HP this time. My character was made by the DM though. I suspect he made her a bit OP in terms of feats she came with. Her stats aren't bad either. The worst is her Strength at 11.

@Themagusx1 "Interesting way of playing" = kind of unpredictable/wrote out one character intentionally/forgot character sheet once, drew up another character, then intentionally offed him. XD

Themagusx1

@Tyranexx That’s an odd way to play lol. So I am, curious what would be the next class you would be interested In?

Themagusx1

Tyranexx

@Themagusx1 Definitely an artificer. It seems like a fun class that's somewhere between magic, technology, and steampunk. I wouldn't mind trying a barbarian either if only because it would be out of my comfort zone.

Themagusx1

@Tyranexx I think you would enjoy the dnd world Eberron which is magic and steampunk for sure. A Barbarian would be fun for sure. Any sub classes you would be interested in?

Themagusx1

Tyranexx

@Themagusx1 When it comes to Barbarian subclasses, it isn't something I've admittedly looked too far into yet. But Path of the Ancestral Guardian and Path of the Beast both seem to be attractive options.

Tasuki

Well my group was able to get together last night. The group managed to finish up some business they had in Uthodurn before deciding to head of to the region of Xhorhas in Eastern Wildemount. They decided to head over there as a job that they decided to take, which if they follow the bed crumbs right will lead them into the adventure, Call of the Netherdeep.

Xhorxas is an interesting area in itself. Most settlements are home to goblinkind, orcs, drow however they are not your typical "evil" races. They are less civilized if you want to call it that and more nomadic but like other races, they have good and bad ones.

Right now the group is on the way to a town named Jigow where a festival is going on, with all sorts of games and food. I figure it would be a nice way for the characters to unwind from their travels.

My Backlog

Tyranexx

Bittersweet to read that the Uthodurn adventure is already finished; I'd assumed the group would be there for longer lol. That said, Xhorhas sounds pretty cool too going off the description. Jigow does sound like a nice unwind point. That makes me wonder how a carnival would be set up in that world...

Tasuki

@Tyranexx The group stayed in Uthodurn for month. Mainly though it was training and selling/purchasing new gear. A few party members did also use that time to learn a few new skills and languages.

My Backlog

Tyranexx

@Tasuki Ah, so it sounds like Uthodurn wasn't too combat-heavy then? More of an exploration type setup? I was picturing something more akin to Tomb Raider, only with Dwarven architecture instead. XD

Tasuki

@Tyranexx Well, they wouldn't want to combat in Uthodurn. Uthodurm is one of the major Dwarven/Elven settlements in Wildemount.

My Backlog

Tyranexx

@Tasuki OH. For some reason I had it in my head that Uthodurm was mostly a ruined city abandoned ages ago. No idea why. It would make sense to avoid combat in a busy place.

Tasuki

@Tyranexx No, it's quite a populous city. Probably somewhere around the population of San Francisco. So yeah don't really want to start fights there, if you did you'd more then likely will get arrested if not worst.

We were able to play this past Saturday. The group made it to Jigow and participated in the current festival in town. There was a pie eating contest which our resident Fighter won. A maze which the characters went through and a tortoise wrangling event. The PCs really enjoyed this week and had alot of fun.

In other D&D news, I did get the Tal' Dorei Reborn campaign book for Christmas which is awesome. Now I can expand even more in my campaign.

Edited on by Tasuki

My Backlog

Tyranexx

@Tasuki Uthodurm equaled Moria in my mind I think. I've had LotR on the brain lately. Glad that your group made it to Jigow in one piece. Sounds like the festival was quite enjoyable! I think it would've been fun to participate in that as either the DM or a player lol. What kind of pies? Or was there a variety?

I just looked up the Tal'Dorei setting. It appears it's an original creation from the Critical Role folks? The description looks intriguing. Looking forward to seeing how it affects your own campaigns.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic