Forums

Topic: The Dungeon and Dragons Thread

Posts 141 to 160 of 638

Tasuki

@Tyranexx Ahh Boots of Spider Climbing such a fun item. Sounded like another great session!!
I am looking to get back to my game this weekend after such a long hiatus. The player that had COVID is over it for the most part. Last week though I canceled because of my cat being on his death bed, I just wasn't there mentally for DMing. It will be nice to get back to the game.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

FroZtedFlake

@Tyranexx Sounds like a fun finish to your last encounter, glad the player switching to his Kobold could take his character death in stride.
@Tasuki Oh no, I'm so sorry about your cat! That's really awful. Glad your sick player is doing better at least, hopefully it'll be a fun return. I wasn't able to play at all recently because of scheduling conflicts and today is one of my buddies birthdays, so looks like next weekend will have to do.

Games I'm playing right now:
Tears of the Kingdom - Switch

Kingdom Hearts 2 - PS4
Ace Attorney Trilogy - Switch

Tyranexx

@Tasuki Yep! They're Boots of Spider Climbing. I couldn't think of the name when typing that post. It was a very good session, even if we had to deal with friendly fire and down the bard lol. Unfortunately they were still barely in the room when that trap went off, thanks to Mage Hand's limited range.

Glad to read that the player with Covid is doing a lot better. Hospitalization is no joke. Once again, my sympathies on your poor furball. It's never fun to lose a pet. I don't blame you for canceling. Hopefully you can get back into it this coming weekend!

@FroZtedFlake What's funny is that the now-dead oathbreaker paladin is still in the game...in a sense. The Kobold signed a contract when joining the paladin's cult, and now they're calling a lot of the shots to the poor guy from their current plane of existence. They can even be summoned, though their form is quite twisted and looks VERY different from their female Tiefling shape. I'll need to ask my DM where to find the image he used as a visual aid.

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Tasuki

@Tyranexx So game didn't happen again this week because my one player got an attitude and things didn't go the way they should according to him. Whatever. Next we will play for sure even if that player gets an attitude again, we have another game ready just in case.

My Backlog

Tyranexx

@Tasuki That's a bummer. Hopefully you can play next time, difficult player or not.

Tyranexx

Our group did meet this past weekend, though we took a break from our usual campaign and briefly stepped into the background Grim Hollow campaign another player occasionally runs. It'll eventually fully replace this campaign should we ever finish it. We didn't get up to too much, mostly just a group introduction to our final playable character (Loxodon cleric) and went to gather a bounty on some thieves known as the Canal Crawlers; the city has a setup much like real world Venice. We were able to knock down most of the thugs and incapacitate their leader. This actually was somewhat thorny since we were all level 1; all other players except yours truly had a downed character at one point or another; good thing a certain Tabaxi rogue can 1. climb and 2. use a short bow from an abandoned home's roof for some sniping.

Long story short, all characters dinged to level 2, and most of us did some shopping after splitting our reward. I ended up with studded leather armor that needed resized, giving my character +1 AC. I also bought a minor Potion of Healing for extra "insurance" for next time.

FroZtedFlake

@Tyranexx Sorry for the late reply, I forgot to respond! That dead Tiefling touch is really quite cool though, I love flavor like that, especially references to now dead PCs. Okay but Venice combat? That sounds freaking awesome, I really want to play in that environment now...

Games I'm playing right now:
Tears of the Kingdom - Switch

Kingdom Hearts 2 - PS4
Ace Attorney Trilogy - Switch

Tasuki

So my campaign might be over after an incident this past weekend. Hopefully we will continue but that's on the players. If they don't well then I guess I will be looking for another group.

My Backlog

Tyranexx

@FroZtedFlake Our group really had fun with the Tiefling bit; the rest of our characters were quite suspicious about any contracts that might've come from that way. Turns out we were right. XD As for the Grim Hollow setting (link), the location we're currently in via a map on that site is the island city-state of Morencia. It's a post-gods dark fantasy setting with some of its own monsters, races, sub-classes, etc.

@Tasuki Oof....Group discord. I won't ask for details, but hopefully the group can work through things like adults...if you guys even continue, that is.

Tasuki

@Tyranexx Well my group was finally able to act like adults and we finished the adventure this past Sunday night. They were able to save the town get themselves to level 3 and sit, relax and plan their next adventure at the local tavern.

Edited on by Tasuki

My Backlog

Tasuki

@FroZtedFlake @Tyranexx Here's my thoughts of the adventure Frozen Sick

As starting adventures goes, Frozen Sick, I think is a great starting adventure. It had a good mix of investigation, and combat. The fact that it took place in an Arctic setting instead of say a forest or hills was nice. The enemies weren't to tough either if players were smart.

The only drawbacks to the adventure is

1) it does use the Wildemount setting so if you want to use it for another world say Forgotten Realms or your own homebrew campaign then you will have to modify some parts.

2) The travel section can be a bit tedious unless you plan ahead. So going from the starting village to the next village takes roughly 7 days travel (won't go into details here so as not to spoil anything) but the adventure book doesn't go into detail on what can happen, random encounters, daily interactions between the PCs etc. So as a dm it might be a good idea to prepare a few random sncounters or ideas that your PCs can do during that trip. Either that or shorten the trip or fast forward through it. Then, later on in the adventure the PCs must travel 200 miles walking across the tundra which by according to the DMs guide takes roughly 10 to 15 days. Again it's up to the DM to create the encounters and such. In my honest opinion I would shorten the length of travel to 100 or even 50 miles. I mean maybe if the PCs had a mode of transportation it could go faster, but if not it can become quite boring and redundant.

With some prep time this adventure is great for beginner DMs how long of prep time depends on how much you want to add into the travel times as mentioned before. I recommend as with all adventures that a DM reads through this adventure a few times before running it mainly because of the investigation segments involved. The PCs can tackle this part in any order so you will need to be ready if PC's go C, A, D, B instead of A, B, C, D.

The ruins are easy enough to follow and the book contains 2 maps one for the PCs one for the DM so its easy enough to follow where the PCs are going from room to room. Again though you will want to read through to know which room has want so you can be prepared for the PCs when they enter.

Final recap as I said before, great starting adventure for any group and even with a bit of tweaking can be a good one for higher levels. Definitely worth a playthrough.

My Backlog

Tyranexx

My group hasn't met since I last posted. We originally had a session planned for Sunday afternoon, but we had to cancel due to a sick player (Not Covid as was feared; just a cold or allergies). Unfortunately, my schedule won't allow for us to play this coming weekend at all, so hopefully the weekend after next.

@Tasuki I'm glad to read that your group was able to mend things enough to at least continue their adventure. Glad that the adventure as a whole went over well and that you think it's a solid experience for a starting adventure. Not to mention that expansive icy areas/tundra aren't too common in fantasy settings I've found.

Themagusx1

@Tyranexx I was going to ask how your game been going but it seems like you guys have not played recently. I forgot but what was your character again and it’s level?

Themagusx1

Tasuki

@Tyranexx It is a solid experience indeed, as I mentioned you could even use it for higher level characters as well, just beef up the enemies HPs and such.

My Backlog

Tyranexx

@Themagusx1 Not recently, no. Hopefully during the next weekend or the one after that. We've also been invited to do another one shot game with the same person who set up the D&D campaign I was in that was based off of the animated series but have yet to set a date for that.

In the main campaign I'm in, my character is a level 10 human drake warden ranger.

@Tasuki Where do you think the group will end up once they're fully defrosted?

Themagusx1

@Tyranexx ahhhh got ya on the Drake Warden. So another one shot sounds like fun. Do you know what it’s going to be about?

Themagusx1

Tasuki

@Tyranexx I am hoping that they will go to a Dwarven stronghold a few days travel to the south of where they are now, but in the end it will be up to them.

My Backlog

Tyranexx

@Themagusx1 A Drake warden functions a lot like a beast Master, only with more draconic attributes. I can't wait until our group finally hits level 11; I'll finally get an awesome breath weapon! One use a day, but it'll be a nice free AoE attack.

As for the one shot, I think a D&D campaign is getting tossed around along with a session of either Hyperborea or Numenera. We'll see what we end up with lol.

@Tasuki A dwarven stronghold? I'm curious; what would compel the party to go there?

Tasuki

@Tyranexx Well, I planted some seeds in the last adventure, they found a tale of a lost Dwarven stronghold kinda like El Dorado. They were th8nking about going to the current stronghold to learn more about this legend and maybe go exploring a bit to find the lost stronghold.

My Backlog

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic