Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 63,281 to 63,300 of 96,538

Mioaionios

@WoomyNNYes
I watch a lot of StarTalk as well. The original Cosmos by Carl Sagan is what fuelled my curiosity for space and science in general and its follow-up series got me to know Neil deGrasse Tyson. Been following everything he does ever since.
PBS Space Time is way too complicated for me and I totally forgot about Veritasium for some reason. Anton Petrov I didn't know about. Will check his content for sure!

@Kermit1
Ancient caves can be really beautiful.
Never been a fan of Labyrinth unfortunately. I preferred The Dark Crystal.

Mioaionios

Kermit1doesmath

@Mioaionios I love anything Jim Henson, Labyrinth is not for everyone though I adore it's cheesiness and world. My Mom loves The Dark Crystal... It still scares me lol.

Has anyone seen Dog City (the movie) it's pretty underrated in my opinion.

dysgraphia awareness human

Rambler

Surely it's the mass of a black hole rather than the size?

Rambler

MarioVillager92

@Sunsy Yeah, I can't blame you. I guess that's just the nature of most internet forums. Same thing with social media platforms nowadays. I don't think I'll ever go on another forum again, I'm perfectly happy with the one here on Nintendo Life. That's cool you liked it, the multiple endings is an interesting concept for sure. I just wish the controls weren't as slippery, and that the stages were more straightforward.

@Tyranexx Ah all righty, I might give that movie a watch at some point. There's also one Disney movie I'm wanting to see, which is Sleeping Beauty. Have you seen that one? I did hear good things about it, and it's one I've never seen as a kid. That's definitely understandable on that reading thing, I can relate to that as well. I do sleep with a fan on, too.

Yeah, Nintendo has always been family-friendly in regards to what games they make, especially stuff like Mario, Kirby, and Pokemon. They've been like that since the NES days. I didn't quite get into those shooter games during the 360/PS3 days, but was (and still is) into Mario. I did eventually start playing stuff like Halo and Doom much later on though, and actually, I went ahead and finished the first Doom game not too long ago. Ah man, that would've been cool to take that world history course back then. Most of my HS classes were...all right, I think, I remember taking a 3D modeling class which was interesting.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

cordova94

@Tyranexx nah you aren't a weirdo, I didn't party either. In my case, it was more the format of engineering and the fact that my brain isn't wired to learn and recall quite that way. I have no regrets......I knew what I wanted to do since I was 11 and I feel like I am doing what I was called to do......so it was worth the struggle to get the degree that would best open that door for me. It's more that all through those years, one hears a constant refrain of "best years of your life" and "you'll discover hard when you start working".....uh no, on both fronts. Now is better and easier (not counting toddler parenting hahaha).

@MarioLover92, thanks! I missed you guys!

I want to go to Disney World SO BAD! I'm excited to hear more!

Currently Playing: Pokemon Sword, Disney Dreamlight Valley
Friend Code: SW-5717-7937-5089

Fizza

I've been reminiscing about my time playing Paper Mario recently (still need to go beat it, currently in Flower Fields trying to remember how you actually play it) and, whilst the game has a shockingly high amount of memorable moments, one moment in particular has always stuck with me as a highlight of my playthrough.

SPOILERS FOR THE ORIGINAL PAPER MARIO (SERIOUSLY, GO PLAY IT. IT'S GREAT)

So, a bit of context: I was currently in Tubba Blubba's Castle trying to get the info I needed in order to defeat him. I had already ran into him before and got molly-whopped so every single time I heard those thumping footsteps of his, I scrambled to turn invisible as quickly as I could. After about half an hour of doing this (in addition to looking for secrets and avoiding annoying enemies), I managed to reach the room where you free his key. And, just as I was about to grab his key, the idiot bloody RATS ME OUT WHILST TUBBA IS SLEEPING NEXT TO US.

The minute I could, I absolutely booked it out of there and, just when it seemed like I would cross the bridge to safety, Tubba comes out from the room, ground pounds the bridge and smashes it to utter smithereens. From here on out, I proceed to have perhaps the most tense chase I've ever had in my entire life, spinning as fast I possibly could whilst constantly hearing Tubba's footsteps get louder and louder, closer and closer, to the point where I could see his outline from the right side of my screen. We manage to escape outside where you'd think the tension would finally let up. NOPE. Instead, the Boos from earlier rally together to block the door whilst me and Beau hurry off to the windmill, key in tow. ALL WHILE THIS PLAYS THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE SEQUENCE:

The chapter as a whole, including the boss fight itself between both the Heart and Tubba himself, was great, but that chase sequence is one that I will never forget for as long as I live. God I need to get back into it.

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Extreme-G (N64)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

MarioVillager92

@cordova94 Yeah anytime! You're not alone... I really want to go to Disney World, too!

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

Kermit1doesmath

Alright, who wants to start the GoFundMe for a group Disney World trip.

Tyranexx

@Kermit1 Looking back, Calamity Ganon actually isn't the hardest fight or challenge in the series (almost all of Zelda II...oof), but the scale of it makes for a pretty epic setting.

As an aside, I need to watch Labyrinth sometime. I think it's a cult classic I could get behind.

@MarioLover92 Ah, you mean the original Sleeping Beauty? It's good, but my main problem with that one is how it's the whole "damsel in distress" thing. While I don't like a lot of the live action Disney spinoffs or adaptations (with rare exceptions like Beauty and the Beast; that was actually decent), the dark fantasy spinoff Maleficent was enjoyable IMO and made the original villain three dimensional and more sympathetic. More of an anti-hero really.

I don't think there's any problem with Nintendo being family-friendly, only that their games definitely have more nuance than that...especially these days. Most FPS games don't interest me; I'm not fond of the mechanics, and at least a lot of the earlier games had the same type of color palette. They didn't really stimulate my imagination. At least a franchise like Splatoon, while I'm not into it, really changed (colored up, I'd say. ) the turf war/combat formula for the better IMO. Most of my high school classes were...okay. Not all were boring, but many (though not all) were fairly easy for me. I would've loved more computer classes, but we didn't have much in the way of them. Just a mandatory typing course (most of which was review) my Freshman year, and then a new digital media class my Junior year; that was actually fairly fun but didn't go too in-depth into anything since it (and the teacher) was so new.

@cordova94 Hah, I wasn't a party animal even in my high school years; I went to a couple, but usually not the ones you'd expect. I was and still am an introvert at heart, so that factored into it lol. Plus, I have enough problems remembering what I'm up to sober; drunk would probably be even worse. XD Being hung over and upchucking every hour never sounded like fun to me. There are some things I miss from childhood - less responsibilities and no bills, for example - but some of it I'm completely fine with leaving behind. Plus, where college was concerned, my programming classes, prereqs, and electives all kept me pretty busy.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Kermit1doesmath

@Tyranexx I quote Labyrinth on a (almost) daily basis. It's not perfect, but I love it.

(Zelda II is really hard)

Tyranexx

@Kermit1 Not sure why I never watched it as a kid. It was probably equal parts of me being a Disneyphile and my parents not really getting into fantasy settings like that.

And yeah...Zelda II is insanely hard. I've beaten it, but I had to use save states. The difficulty spike after the first temple is no joke. X--X

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Eel

That reminds me that’s the only game I’ve not even launched on my Zelda Game and Watch… I could start a Zelda 2 file…. Or start a new Zelda 1 or Link’s Awakening file again and actually have a good time…

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Kermit1doesmath

@Eel If you beat Zelda 2 on a Zelda Game & Watch, I will change my pfp to Link's design from Zelda 2 for a month.

NintendoByNature

Zelda II is decent when you use a guide. The difficulty is definitely out of whack but after going back to the GB and NES tmnt games in the cowabunga collection, it actually makes Zelda II seem...fair?

NintendoByNature

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic