Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 63,161 to 63,180 of 64,431

Eel

As DreamlandGem (who by the way is the community manager and head moderator of the site) kindly asked already, let's please not bring that discussion here.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Anti-Matter

Today, 17 August 2022 is my country 77th anniversary of Independence Day celebration.
Merdeka !
Untitled

Top 8 Konami's Rhythm games:
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Kermit1

@Anti-Matter Happy Indonesia Independence Day!!!

Currently playing: Valkyria Chronicles

DA-2802-3315-4367

#TeamSlime

known to be quirky on occasion

Tasuki

Eel wrote:

As DreamlandGem (who by the way is the community manager and head moderator of the site) kindly asked already, let's please not bring that discussion here.

So only staff members can bring up subjects like this. Wow just wow. This site has sunk to a new low.

So if I can't bring it up in the chit chat thread where mind you, is a thread created to talk about anything so other threads don't get derailed, and I can't created a new thread to discuss it, then where do I put it??

Edited on by Tasuki

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Maxenmus

@Tasuki
I think they just don't want posts like this to exist and stir up drama... like what's happening right now.

Maxenmus

Switch Friend Code: SW-7926-2339-9775 | 3DS Friend Code: 3539-9678-8621 | My Nintendo: Flare | Nintendo Network ID: OriusPrime

Tasuki

@Maxenmus I honestly don't see any drama coming up by other users, just the staff to be honest. Us users are actually having a drama free conversation.

My Backlog

Kermit1

@Tasuki ya we are having a drama free conversation. Hopefully we can have one with the staff.

DA-2802-3315-4367

#TeamSlime

Maxenmus

@Tasuki
True, but even I'll admit that conversations like these are rigged kegs with the potential to ignite, more so than ordinary, less sensitive conversations online. I can see where they're coming from, even if I don't fully agree with it. But it's their site and their rules, so I'll respect it.

Maxenmus

Switch Friend Code: SW-7926-2339-9775 | 3DS Friend Code: 3539-9678-8621 | My Nintendo: Flare | Nintendo Network ID: OriusPrime

Anti-Matter

@Kermit1
Thank you.
Also, we have flag ceremony to celebrate Independence Day at school with grade 4 - 6 students and all teachers.

Top 8 Konami's Rhythm games:
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

kkslider5552000

I don't wanna get into this because I find these discussions generally obnoxious, even with people I agree with but I do need to say

Maxenmus wrote:

The whole thing with Nintendo makes sense less sense though as I don't see why sexuality needs to be discussed in children's games.

In a world where Nintendo games were never bluntly (and mostly consistently) cishet or in a world where there would be no backlash for it or if no one needed an escape from bigotry in their own lives, I would strongly agree with this. To say that is not the world we live in would be an understatement. And to only point it out now is ignoring how heterosexuality is basically always in children's media (often far more bluntly too).

I don't want to get into anything, but none of this is interesting or fun. I'm more than willing to give the benefit of the doubt but it is upsetting to see people unable to grasp the inconsistency of this reaction compared to cishet discussions or the significance put towards insignificant internet discussions or why said things would be of interests to both writers and an audience. Because at the core of it is my identity, and I don't like my identity being a part of unending culture war nonsense. Whether you mean to or not, that is what you are doing here. Ignore things you don't care about, roll your eyes at cringe, please don't take things to be anything more than what they actually are. I just wanted to be happy at what could be a cool bit of subtle representation and the apparent lack of being required to fit into a gender for your mute squid/octo kid.

also plz don't assume cynicism from non-business minded people, its just a dumb article from an underpaid writer looking at a theory based on the writing (and localization) made from a likely overworked largely unknown character writer. Corporate people aren't deciding this, they're just deciding letting it happen would get them more money.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Misadventures of Tron Bonne Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy TRON BONNE < Link to LP

Tasuki

@Maxenmus Your right. It's just that I need to realize that this place isn't going to be like it was years ago, it's just trying to find somewhere on the internet that is, if that makes sense. Everyone nowadays just gets all offended over the silliest *****. But then they bring it up and you just join in the conversation and instantly your offensive. Sometimes I just feel like an outsider here now that's all.

My Backlog

Maxenmus

@kkslider5552000
And here's the perfect example why the staff didn't want us talking about this because it leads to passive aggressive exchanges like this. The keg has been blown. KABOOM!

Honestly, I grew up in Singapore, and the country isn't nearly big enough to care about your American culture wars, so I have no idea what the heck you guys are even bickering about, since all I see is a bunch of corporate agendas that have nothing to do with the environment I grow up in. Good for you Americans to support the things you love, but don't expect me to pay a dime.

Like, you guys want to have your little tribalism, your gatekeeping about genders and race and whatever, starting up crap in video games, that's your business. I just want to be in a fictional world that doesn't remind me of the toxic politics in the real world.

Of course, you didn't want to get into this, kk, but you did, and now we're here talking about politics. Yay. Because at the end of the day, let's face it, it's all about politics. My gender is better than your gender, my race is more deserving of attention than your race, blah blah blah. Who the heck cares? I don't give a flying heck that I'm Chinese anymore than I care you're white and cis.

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

Kermit1

@Maxenmus I'm America's neighbour and I don't understand the needless arguments.

DA-2802-3315-4367

#TeamSlime

Maxenmus

@Kermit1
I don't really care much about arguing about these things either, but people just keep loving to drag us back in the conversation about such political ideals.
Untitled

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

Kermit1

@Maxenmus I second that. I don't want to see this forum become toxic because of bad staff.

DA-2802-3315-4367

#TeamSlime

kkslider5552000

Maxenmus wrote:

Like, you guys want to have your little tribalism, your gatekeeping about genders and race and whatever, starting up crap in video games, that's your business. I just want to be in a fictional world that doesn't remind me of the toxic politics in the real world.

Of course, you didn't want to get into this, kk, but you did, and now we're here talking about politics. Yay. Because at the end of the day, let's face it, it's all about politics. My gender is better than your gender, my race is more deserving of attention than your race, blah blah blah. Who the heck cares? I don't give a flying heck that I'm Chinese anymore than I care you're white and cis.

I'm sincerely sorry to whatever misunderstanding has made you think that I would think this, but appreciation for minority identities being given more prominence in media is not the same as a disregard or superiority to another. I don't know what you've dealt with or who told you otherwise, but that has never been my take. My wish generally begins and ends with seeing more underappreciated identities being in media because it makes people with those identities happy and feel welcome and "seen".

Maxenmus

And here's the thing, @kkslider5552000, I'm all for representation and stuff, but more often than not, modern corporations try to offer such "representation" in a very preachy, unnatural and patronizing way that makes me uncomfortable even when they're representing me. That's the whole beef I have with said representation, that they're profiting off people's identities without actually caring all that much about said identities to begin with, dragging us into the very same culture war you claimed you wanted your identity to be excluded from.

Whereas take a film or a video game that had progressive roles, but the creators didn't set out to make said film/game to be "progressive," like for example, those Alien films with Sigourney Weaver as the lead or those Terminator films with Linda Hamilton. They showed women in a strong, confident role, but they weren't trying to push onto our faces "WOMEN ARE SUPER POWERFUL! FEAR THEM!" like many modern films try to do; Ridley Scott and James Cameron were merely trying to tell good stories regardless of gender politics. That's my real problem with it, how feminism turned into misandry, how men getting humiliated get equated to feminism. That's the real hypocrisy of your so-called "progressive movements" in films and video games.

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

kkslider5552000

Maxenmus wrote:

I'm all for representation and stuff, but more often than not, modern corporations try to offer such "representation" in a very preachy, unnatural and patronizing way that makes me uncomfortable even when they're representing me. That's the whole beef I have with said representation, that they're profiting off people's identities without actually caring all that much about said identities to begin with, dragging us into the very same culture war you claimed you wanted your identity to be excluded from.

Whereas take a film or a video game that had progressive roles, but the creators didn't set out to make said film/game to be "progressive," like for example, those Alien films with Sigourney Weaver as the lead or those Terminator films with Linda Hamilton. They showed women in a strong, confident role, but they weren't trying to push into our faces "WOMEN ARE SUPER POWERFUL! FEAR THEM!" like many modern films try to do. That's my real problem with it, how feminism turned into misandry, how men getting humiliated equated to feminism. That's the real hypocrisy of your so-called "progressive movements" in films and video games.

I think you'd be happy to know that progressive people (in my experience) do often prefer what you are talking about and generally would agree with you.

I won't get into politics I'll just say, the loud talking heads and big wigs of hollywood are neither the majority nor beloved by the majority progressive people, to say the least.

And I'm sincerely with you on not wanting to see forced, insincere attempts to "progressive" just to make a buck.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Maxenmus

@kkslider5552000
Well, that's good to know, and I'm sorry that I misunderstood your point; I tend to respond emotionally than with my head to be honest. But like I said, these conversations tend to act like powder keg. I think our exchange here has exemplified that quite well.

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

kkslider5552000

Maxenmus wrote:

Well, that's good to know, and I'm sorry that I misunderstood your point; I tend to respond emotionally than with my head to be honest. But like I said, these conversations tend to act like powder keg. I think our exchange here has exemplified that quite well.

I get it. I had a longer and much harsher response before I decided to post what I did at first instead. I respect that you said you responded emotionally, I get it. I'm frustrated by this stuff too.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic