Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 51,561 to 51,580 of 52,625

Losermagnet

@BruceCM yeah it kind of is its own thing, comedy action thats heavy on stunts. Wheels on Meals, Police Story 1 & 2, Rumble in the Bronx, Super Cop, Miracle. When i was younger it seemed like he was more well known for Rush Hour and Shanghai Noon. It's weird because so many of his movies from the 70s and 80s aren't available in the US. I bought a region free blu ray player and i've been importing some every now-and-then.

@Tasuki Oh man, I'm so sorry. Glad your family and pets are okay. Things may be overwhelming now, but they will be alright again.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

Snatcher

@Tasuki I'm So glade everyone is safe, I also agree with everyone else, as if you think you need to, you should take a break off this site, Right now You should focus getting everything in order, and right now, your the biggest blessing everyone's got.

I hope my comment is helpful and not insensitive, Thats the last thing I want to be right now so tell me if I i'm ok?

Edited on by Snatcher

A sky with stars so bright the colors feel so right I nev, Uh I mean. I'm a Among us plus sonic fan. I have also been playing a unheathy amount of MHR (Don't try to stop me)

BruceCM

Yeah, not sure just what his 1st film that came out in America was but I think that wasn't very successful, @Losermagnet... Then, there was one I don't recall the name of that did a lot better but Rush Hour probably the big break & they are good

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Losermagnet

@bimmy-lee fighting games and beat em ups were favorites of mine as a kid. I'm not very good at fighting games anymore, but I do indulge in beat em ups still. I end up watching something like Rumble in the Bronx and then I really get an urge to play Streets of Rage.

Thanks for the heads up on Bloodsport btw

@BruceCM I want to say Rumble in the Bronx was the first one that kind of broke into the mainstream in the US, but it was Rush Hour that was the big hit. I may be wrong though.

Edit - Battle Creek Brawl may be the US movie that tanked. It was an early one and not very good imo. American made Jackie Chan movies are usually pretty tame as far as stunts go - I don't think any companies wanted to take the risk of insuring him 😆

@NintendoByNature My wife is usually pretty cool with that stuff. Truth be told she's kind of a badass. She'll fix my car and do the taxes. Im a cartoon character by comparison.

Y'know with movies I think I prefer older movies to most things in the 2000s, generally speaking. I'd pick an old samurai flick over a Marvel movie in a heartbeat.

Edited on by Losermagnet

MarioLover92

Was quite busy yesterday. I'm pretty much done with my last semester now! Decided to have one of my old profile pics back, too...and have Cat Mario take over my profile banner.

@Tyranexx Yeah...those GameCube games are quite expensive now from what I've seen. It's why I would love more rereleases of some sort. Agreed on Wii Sports - me and the other family members used to play bowling on it quite a lot! I like that, tennis, and golf personally. Wii Sports Resort is really good too.

Yeah, the TG-16 came out a few years before I came to earth, lol. Plus it wasn't nearly as popular as the NES, SNES, and Genesis at the time - we of course never had it, either.

Nintendo Life's (self-proclaimed) #1 Mario fan! Wahoo!

SMM2 ID: V1J-NRF-PWG
AC:NH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Let me know if you're gonna add my Switch FC. Thank you!

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-8582-2999 | My Nintendo: MarioFan92 | Twitter:

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee Haha, yeah I also remember those "life or death" choices as a kid, because I had similar grandparents, so they also let me choose toys and stuff. On top of that, I'm kind of OCD where it concerns numbers not being even, so especially with choosing action figures, that made my choices that much harder...

No rush on the videos, especially since you've already seen Kung Fury. I must say that I actually AM curious about what you think of that fanmade MOTU short movie, because even though it looks cheap and is kind of cheesy, probably a result of translating what works well in animation to live action, which in my view has a detrimental effect, it's still kind of a respectful/loving nod to the series, from a true fan of the show.

There's also a making of video on YouTube, which is actually pretty decent and funny at times, and in that video, the genuine fandom truly shines through.

@NintendoByNature @BruceCM @bimmy-lee Oh, dear. Mentioning martial arts movies and practitioners and then naming van Damme as the best/one of the best? He's good alright, but he's not even close to the real deal. As the Highlander once said: "there can be only one", and that one is obviously Bruce Lee. And what I was also expecting to be mentioned, is the Ip Man movies starring Donnie Yen, of which there are now 4 in total. Ip Man movies are some of the best martial arts movies out there, especially since there's also a historical/real life aspect to them.

Personally, I would definitely recommend watching the first two, at least. Especially seeing as these two are closest to the actual history of the character. The next two movies are "a bit" too frivolous with the source material, but still good enough to watch in their own right regardless.

An interesting side note: the real Ip Man was also Bruce Lee's inspiration and one time trainer/mentor in the art of Wing Chun.

Second side note: and when mentioning Bruce Lee, we can obviously also not forego mentioning Chuck Norris. These two brilliant martial artists were already plowing their way through waves of bad guys before one of the currently famous action stars were even known, let alone already starring in movies. In that respect, only Jackie Chan compares, who in his younger years actually also made quite a few more serious martial arts movies. Only in later years, did he decide to take the comedic path, combined with high quality stunt work.

@Tasuki Wow, I was just catching up to the last four pages of this thread, when I saw your comment. Glad you're okay, and I wish you all the best with whatever comes next, because losing a house is a BIG thing, so I guess you'll need all the wishing well's you can get.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NintendoByNature

@Losermagnet well that's cool then. Nice that she's into that kind of stuff. Maybe you both will enjoy this film then if you decide to watch it.

@thanosrexxx I'm not disagreeing with you, however JCVD is one my favorite actors of all time, so I'm partial to his films 😉. I think it's more nostalgia for me than anything as I grew up watching all of his films. On a side note, I don't think anyone was agreeing that JCVD was the best martial arts actor, that was just me lol.

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

ThanosReXXX

@Losermagnet Forgot to tag you in the martial arts movie-related bit of my previous comment. Long story short: put the first two Ip Man movies on your "to watch" list. Trust me: you'll thank me later...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

BruceCM

Yeah, I liked Rumble in the Bronx, @Losermagnet.... I'm sure someone will be more familiar with the details of the history

SW-4357-9287-0699

ThanosReXXX

@NintendoByNature I see I forgot to add a smiley to that specific part of my comment. Suffice to say that once I start a comment with "Oh, dear", that you can at least expect some part of it to be (mildly) sarcastic.

And I actually also like van Damme, AND Stallone, AND Willis, AND Schwarzenegger AND Statham and so on, and so on, because I'm a sucker for action stars and movies, so there's no argument there. But in martial arts movies there IS a list, and on that list, Bruce Lee is the ab-so-lute #1.

BruceCM

Oh, I keep meaning to get around to IP Man, @ThanosReXXX.... In terms of the amount of output, I don't think there's much competition Bruce Lee has done so many films & most of them are good, while he was the one who started the genre for the West
While Jackie's more seriously martial arts films are not what he became known for, I know he did some good ones, too

SW-4357-9287-0699

ThanosReXXX

@BruceCM Well, whenever you do have the time to watch them, I'm pretty confident that you'll like them, because with what's on show in these movies, fight scene-wise, you're definitely in for a treat...

BruceCM

Oh, yeah, I'm sure I will, @ThanosReXXX.... Wasn't he in Hero, with Jet Li, too? I'm sure I've seen a few other films with him in, too

SW-4357-9287-0699

ThanosReXXX

@BruceCM Yeah, I believe he was. Donnie Yen has indeed also made quite a few movies already. The Ip Man movies are definitely some of the best, if not THE best he's ever made, far as I'm concerned, though.

BruceCM

I've certainly heard good things about those, @ThanosReXXX.... Just not quite got around to them yet

SW-4357-9287-0699

pilot

Hello fellow humans, I want to share something important from my life. I recently got hired as a ride operator for my local amusement park! Feel free to ask questions although I may not be able to answer all given that I haven't actually started the job yet. Im super excited to start though!

Playing:
BOTW
Hyrule Warriors AOC
Mario 3D Allstars
SpidermanPS4
Looking Forward To:
Pokemon Diamond Pearl remakes
Pokemon Legends Arceus
BotW2
Hoping for:
Super Mario Galaxy 2 on switch!
Remake of Wii sports resort

Losermagnet

@ThanosReXXX no prob! They are added to the list 😁

Edit- what would you recommend as a good Bruce Lee movie to start with?

@NintendoByNature we watched Bloodsport. It's good! And now I get your posts with @bimmylee earlier lol. I expected the "breaking bottom brick" scene to be JCVD cracking a column of bricks, so when he slapped the top layer and only the bottom one exploded I almost spit out my drink.

@pilot congrats on the new job! I love amusement parks so that's exciting.

Edited on by Losermagnet

bimmy-lee

I’ve been waiting for @ogo79 to chime in with one of my all time favorite action movies, and I ain’t gonna give him much longer til I steal his thunder, Jack.

@BruceCM - I have to admit I’m behind on John Wick, I saw the first and liked it, and I’ve always meant to follow up but haven’t found the right time. I love a good knife fight, they’re just brutal. I’m a fan of Keanu in general. He was in a thriller a few years ago I enjoyed titled Knock Knock and shortly after had a funny bit role in a really crazy movie called The Bad Batch. I did whiff on Donny Yen earlier, he’s been in tons of movies and the Ip Man movies are great.

@Losermagnet - Hey, you watched it, that’s awesome man! You now know of bottom brick powers & making men say “matae”. I hope we didn’t get you in trouble with your wife. Hopefully she saw some comedy and at least enjoyed JCVD’s splits maneuvers. We’ll see what Thanos recommends for Bruce Lee, but I’d say just go right for the stone cold classic if you haven’t seen it, Enter the Dragon.

@ThanosReXXX - I did start my rant by saying I grew up on Bruce and Jackie, but it probably is shameful not to highlight Bruce Lee or throw out a movie. I kinda take for granted my age a lot of the time and just sorta assume everyone started with Bruce and Chuck Norris (before he was a meme, when he was just a BA). I did totally miss Donny Yen though, I love the Ip Man movies, and they should have been mentioned.

@NintendoByNature - I will put you in splits trees and humble you.

@pilot - Congratulations, please make sure they keep their hands at feet inside the vehicle at all times.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic