Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 51,541 to 51,560 of 52,624

NintendoByNature

@BruceCM timecop, universal soldier, and double impact were all good too. Lionheart was also up there. As was kickboxer. I haven't seen Ong Bak though.

NintendoByNature

BruceCM

Well, if you like martial arts action films, you really should watch that one, @NintendoByNature..... Kickboxer is another series that got terrible by the end but the first couple were good, I guess
Tell us some other action stars u like or something?

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

bimmy-lee

@Losermagnet - Oh man, those test your might minigames were so stressful because I always started button mashing too early and ran out of steam at the very end. I used the three finger swipe technique.

@BruceCM - The Ong Bak series is good, I like Tony Jaa. Have you seen The Raid? It’s one of my favorite martial art/action movies. The reason I have both Bloodsport and then Kickboxer as JCVD’s finest movies is because of the intentional and unintentional comedy in those movies, both of which continue to get funnier through the years. While I also enjoy the movies you listed, they’re a little too “self serious JCVD” for me. I also really enjoy JCDVD, and apparently I was one of the few who absolutely loved Jean Claude Van Johnson on Prime. I thought the first season was great, but it wasn’t renewed.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

BruceCM

Oh, yeah, the Raid films are great, @bimmy-lee.... I mostly watch action films, with some that might be primarily horror or Sci fi, etc Do tell us some others you like, then

SW-4357-9287-0699

NintendoByNature

@BruceCM I am also a huge Stallone guy(although not martial arts). For my money, there's no better than those two. Some of his later films that felt all too familiar but I loved nonetheless were the quest, desert heat, hard target( another favorite), sudden death, no where to run, in hell, and double team. I'll check out your recommendations though. Always love a good martial arts film.

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

bimmy-lee

@BruceCM - We’ve probably watched a lot of the same movies then, as those are the genres I also tend to watch when I get to choose. Speaking strictly martial arts action, I grew up on the Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan classics and watched The Warriors on repeat. Got swept up in the late 80s/90s Hollywood phase with JCVD, Steven Segal, and loved Best of the Best. My favorites are some of the wire dancing movies from the 00s: Crouching Tiger, Iron Monkey, and House of Flying Daggers. Also enjoy Tony Jaa as mentioned and Jet Li movies. If I had to pick a favorite experience, I’d go with Kung Fu Hustle and I like all the movies by that group.

Whew, I’m sure I missed a lot of great ones, what are some that you enjoy?

limby-bee was a jerk.

1UP_MARIO

Bloodsport is a great watch even today. The true streetfighter movie.

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5229-5058-9308

BruceCM

Yeah, Stallone is generally pretty good, although I haven't seen all his stuff, @NintendoByNature.... Well, since nobody else mentioned them, I'll throw in Around Schwarzenegger, Jason Statham & Bruce Willis, @bimmy-lee
I trust you both watched the Red & Expendables films? Then, obviously, there's John Wick series & The Matrix trilogy Better add Liam Neeson with his Taken films, too

SW-4357-9287-0699

TheJGG

I've been on a music spree... I finished my cover of One-Winged Angel, by adding in isolated vocals from the original. I'd say now out of the Kingdom Hearts version, the original, and the one from Advent Children, mine sounds better than the Kingdom Hearts one. It took about four hours in total to make from scratch so I'm very happy with how it turned out.

I’m getting a lot into Final Fantasy arrangements now… I covered Final Fantasy VII’s Main Theme. It was fun but the harmonies were tough to pull off. Eh, it’s nine minutes.

There's a proverb... I don't know if it's a proverb, I dunno... but a saying, that you usually only appreciate something when it's gone. I'm adamant that this can very much be applied to Nintendo. They completely shaped my childhood, taught me values about life, death, friendship and hardship, and made me proud to have been there when they released a game. @Tyranexx… appreciate it for their simply being there!

I wish I could erase my memories of the Zelda games, plus a handful of RPGs, so I could experience them again. The Zelda games for their puzzles and the raw feeling of joy you get when finishing a game, and various RPGs (Persona 4/5, all three Xenoblade games to name a few) for the emotional stories and amazing god-killing endings. I don’t try and 100% games, it feels like overkill. Closest I’ve come is with Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima… Breath of the Wild in terms of quantity without proportion, I’m nowhere. I have zero patience to get all the Korok seeds, let alone… what, 453?

Sorry to hear about that long departed headache, now unfortunately you’ll associate the theme music for the Forest Temple… with migraines. Shame of course because the track itself is so good. Last time I felt nauseous was seven years ago when I went on this flying carousel. I felt quite sick and went home quickly. It did NOT feel good, so I feel for you.

Temple themes from Ocarina of Time is a subject I could discuss for ages. All three themes you mentioned are ones I love as well. The Fire Temple is my favourite of the three. The percussion is quite nice, but the Islamic chanting takes the cake for me, any day of the week. It’s so atmospheric, a real shame Nintendo didn’t trust the public to handle this song. The choir makes it consistent with other dungeons but this would have been… maybe a few steps below the Sephiroth Latin Choir. The Sprit Temple theme is second, it has such a haunting vibe, with the seemingly random notes. The Shadow Temple is downright terrifying in the right lighting conditions (dark room at night), and though I always played in a well lit room during the day. The Wind Waker doesn’t have these kinds of background tracks, so maybe that’s a factor for people hating the dungeons.

To your comments on X I have this for you:

Breath of the Wild kinda does have a connection to the timeline, it’s been confirmed that it takes place after all three timelines, when they somehow converge. Nothing concrete from Nintendo themselves after this, but MatPat from Game Theory proposed that Hyrule Warriors would be the game that manages to connect all three timelines, because of multi-dimensional time travel. I think the theory is extremely good, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Nintendo just adopt that as their alibi. Interesting to see the timeline evolve like this but I hope this doesn’t spell the end of Zelda games from the traditional timeline.

I agree wholly on your ideas on Twilight Princess, it felt like the game design choices backfired. Though the fans (or the vocal ones anyhow) were very inconsistent with voicing what they wanted. First they wanted great graphics, and hated Wind Waker. Then they mostly disliked Twilight Princess’ art style, calling it washed out and ugly. I love the game to pieces and I think it was a massive amount of fun. I will always love the Clawshot items, and the Spinner, those two items stood out to me the most as having the most potential for future fun. And Skyward Sword brought the former back.

There’s so many games you haven’t played now, that you actually own. If I was dead I’d be turning in my grave, this is absolutely criminal! But honestly I wouldn’t make it a priority if I were you, with your restricted free time games like that don’t respect your time that well. It’s a fantastic game with some decent combat but there’s so much grinding involved that it really hurts the overall package. I’ll be thinking about getting the soon-to-be-renamed Project Triangle Strategy, if they add an easy mode!

But I’ll have a few more games added to my backlog, I downloaded Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 ReMIX today. Six games for… thirteen dollars. What a goddamn steal!

Nintendo Fan Soundtrack II

"I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours." - Cheshire Cat.

If you'd like to add me on Switch, tag me first!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG

NintendoByNature

@BruceCM oh ya, all good stuff. Love expendables, although I only saw the first. Love some Willis, and Neeson too.

NintendoByNature

Losermagnet

@NintendoByNature i may just watch Bloodsport tonight, if I can find a place to stream it. My wife and I usually watch a movie on the weekend and we havent picked one yet. I've seen Timecop before and thought it was pretty good, I think thats the only JCVD movie I've seen (unless we're counting Street Fighter). As far as martial arts go i'm partial to Jackie Chan, although now that I think of it he may be more of a stunt man. You can't go wrong with Police Story or Wheels on Meals (Police Story is prolly a top 10 movie for me).

@bimmy-lee it's weird that I remember that mini game so well because i'm pretty sure I only ever rented the original MK like once or twice. But it's burned into my memory (and fingertips). And The Warriors is such a good movie.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

Tasuki

Got woken up yesterday at 2 in the morning as my house was on fire. Lucky for us all occupants, humans and animals were able to get out safely but the house is a total lost.

I don't know what I am going to do now everything is just overwhelming now.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

TheJGG

@Tasuki Mate... I’m so sorry that happened to you. First, I’m glad you and your family and pets were all unhurt by this disaster. But the most important thing to do is to stay calm and not to anything irrational. Grief can be a powerful mention, for all the wrong reasons. So stay calm, and get a read of the situation. Anything you can safely retrieve so do. Take time off here if necessary, maybe getting your own life sorted is a priority?

Take care either way and I hope you can salvage some things.

Nintendo Fan Soundtrack II

"I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours." - Cheshire Cat.

If you'd like to add me on Switch, tag me first!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG

BruceCM

Heh, Jackie Chan is great, @Losermagnet.... But the stuff he's best known for is almost it's own genre Which do you like, I know he's done loads but I don't remember the names of a lot of his films?

SW-4357-9287-0699

NintendoByNature

@BruceCM I will for sure.
@Losermagnet yea its probably a guy movie so your wife may tune in and out. But I shouldn't speculate on that. My mom loved jcvd movies as well so your wife could be an outlier like my mom was.
@Tasuki dude, I'm so very sorry to hear that. Do you know how it happened? Hoping insurance covers the losses although I'll admit I really don't know how all of that works. Ultimately, I'm glad to hear you guys got out safe

NintendoByNature

Eel

@Tasuki oh wow that terrible! I’m really glad to hear everyone is ok, but losing your house is also traumatic. Yes, the best for now would be to attempt to remain calm and focus on your family, you all need each other more than ever.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

My dead channel.

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

bimmy-lee

@Tasuki - That’s horrible dude, I’m glad everyone is safe, but the rest is just awful. I wish the best for you and hope insurance treats you fairly.

@1UP_MARIO - It’s on a short list of movies I started watching and just never stopped. Totally right about the SF reference too, even back in the day we would talk about who was who in the movie and game.

@BruceCM - Yep, I’ve seen most of those, really like the Matrix trilogy. I do tend to stick more to the martial arts action movies though as my interest tends to go down as the gun play goes up, but not always. For pure action movies, I am a bit stuck in the 80s and early 90s preferring big, dumb action flicks like the Rocky, Die Hard, and Terminator franchises along with the first Predator. I do also enjoy the gritty, mid and late 70s Clint Eastwood and Charlie Bronson movies, along with old war and western flicks I used to watch with my dad.

@Losermagnet - Those mini games were epic. I also LOVE beating up the car in SF games. Bloodsport is streaming on prime, as are quite a few of the JCVD movies we’ve mentioned. My wife watched it with me a few years ago, and she loved it. It’s when I fully realized it’s a comedy classic. It’s also awesome as well. Hard to explain, but I think it holds up really well. She still makes references to it from time to time.

limby-bee was a jerk.

Zuljaras

@Tasuki I really, REALLY wish everything works in the best way possible for you now!

Zuljaras

BruceCM

In a general sense, @NintendoByNature... But I have known some girls who did like action, horror & so on! Sometimes as well as the more traditional girly films but other times they weren't keen on those, too
Well, John Wick has a good mixture, @bimmy-lee! Especially the 3rd film has some great knife bits, as well

SW-4357-9287-0699

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic