Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 51,581 to 51,600 of 51,660

Losermagnet

Ryu_Niiyama wrote:

One lady was putting gas in a trash bag.

Truelly we are only a few steps from living in a Mad Max-esque apocalypse. Also that has to be illegal.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

TheJGG

@Zuljaras Let’s be honest, America’s a haven for conspiracies.

"I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours." - Cheshire Cat.

If you'd like to add me on Switch, tag me first!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG

TheJGG

@Zuljaras What’re you talking about?! Lizard people really do exist! Just look at the guy that owns Facebook... ;p

Zuljaras

@TheJGG No no he is a cyborg that works for the Lizard People in exchange for bitcoins!!!

Zuljaras

MarioLover92

@Tyranexx Agreed on the motorcycle thing. My area is pretty bad with it...they get really loud sometimes and that annoys me to no end. Seems like they want to show off how fast they're going. All I'd like is peace and quiet.

Yeah that'd be cool to have that Wii back, especially since it can play GameCube games. I got a red Wii a few years ago, which actually benefits me because my platinum GameCube is unfortunately starting to break down. Plus I have all my Wii save data and downloaded games already transferred to my Wii U. Had I not got that red Wii, I wouldn't be able to play my GameCube games unless I go the emulation route. I was actually thinking of playing Wii Sports for nostalgia's sake, lol! I miss playing it, hopefully my copy still works.

I made it to area 7 in Blazing Lazers. It is indeed frantic, like a lot of other shmups! Most of the time I had that sonic wave weapon (it's the item that has the roman numeral II on it), which I found to be the best weapon in the game since it covers a large portion of the screen. It helped to have a watchful eye on enemy bullets too. It was originally for the TurboGrafx-16 - perhaps you've heard of it. I never knew it was even a thing until the Wii Virtual Console came out.

Nintendo Life's (self-proclaimed) #1 Mario fan! Wahoo!

SMM2 ID: V1J-NRF-PWG
AC:NH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Let me know if you're gonna add my Switch FC. Thank you!

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-8582-2999 | My Nintendo: MarioFan92 | Twitter:

Zuljaras

Season 4 of Castlevania was perfect!!!

Zuljaras

ThanosReXXX

Tyranexx wrote:

which is why I likewise don't do much posting during the day unless it's something short

@Tyranexx And you're CERTAINLY making up for it with the slabs of text here in the Chit-Chat thread. Especially of late. I blame @TheJGG, though. New guy coming in to upend the whole shebang...

@ogo79 Well, at least that light-up-in-the-dark Skeletor is officially licensed, so my soul is at ease again...

ogo79 wrote:

couldnt resist it, please understand

On a related side note: you're really on a roll with buying/collecting figures again, huh? I thought I remembered you saying you were gonna stop with all of that a while ago. Then again: I may be wrong...

@bimmy-lee Crossing Souls, huh? Looks interesting. Guess I might have to add that to the list, then.
As for Masters of the Universe: yes, we most definitely did have all of that over here back then. My cousin and his little brother, the ones with the parents that have the Irish café, were pretty spoiled back in the day, and they basically had whole play sets of most, if not all popular toys from the eighties and nineties. So, think Star Wars, LEGO, Playmobil and indeed also Masters of the Universe.

All the figures, Castle Greyskull and various vehicles. Needless to say, I spent a LOT of time there, back in the day...

Sorry to hear about your dog, but then again: 13 years is indeed quite a long time for basically any larger pet, so at least you had a good run with him. Here's hoping that the new mutt will last you an equally impressive time.

EDIT:
I'm just going to leave a trailer from Crossing Souls here, in case anyone else has become curious by you mentioning it:

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

TheJGG

ThanosReXXX wrote:

And you're CERTAINLY making up for it with the slabs of text here in the Chit-Chat thread. Especially of late. I blame @TheJGG, though. New guy coming in to upend the whole shebang...

@ThanosReXXX AHEM... I do believe that is quite callous! I’ve only been here seven years less than you: at least gimme SOME slack! I take full responsibility and pride in my perfectly readable and awesome text walls!

ThanosReXXX

@TheJGG The Chit-Chat thread is NOT the place for hubris...
(slowly flexes Infinity Gauntlet)

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

ogo79

@ThanosReXXX lol no bootleg

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

ThanosReXXX

@ogo79 Well, then you did break one promise to yourself already.

bimmy-lee

@ogo79 - I shoulda looked at those pics a little longer than I did, there’s several clues on the packaging & extra articulation, but awesome regardless. I didn’t even know about that Origins line. My son reeeally wants some MOTU figures, so I’ll look into these.

@Tyranexx - Thanks, he was high maintenance all 13 years he was with us, but we still loved him somehow. Birdie stripped the leaves off one side of the big jade plant and also pulled all of the support rods out of the soil, which is an especially jerk style maneuver; but I think it’s going to survive minus the embarrassment of being bald on one side.

Thanks for the info on Inmost, I’ll put it on the wishlist and keep it in mind. If you’re into the genre, River City Girls is great fun to play, but I do think it would make for decent watching on a let’s play video because it’s really flashy and stylish, and the music rocks.

@ThanosReXXX - Man, the MOTU section at the toy stores was a dream. It was just an entire aisle stuffed with figures, vehicles and playsets. Grayskull was actually the only playset of any kind that I had. Sounds like your cousins had it made!

I’ll say that Crossing Souls starts a bit slow, but it’s a solid game, and the ending had stuck with me for a while now. If you see it in a Devolver sale and have the desire for a somewhat challenging puzzle loaded with nostalgia; it’s a good choice. And thanks for the condolences on the pup. He was abandoned, sheltered, adopted twice, and returned twice before we took him, so I’d say he more covered the spread; he crushed it.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee I always remember toy aisles like that as sections that my mother dragged me through a LOT faster than any of the other aisles, because she didn't want me to linger on something that they weren't ever going to buy me anyway... But I still had my cousins, so I got to play with it and admire it up close anyway.

On a related side note: here's what could have happened with any of us that liked/loved Masters of the Universe, in case that love got somewhat out of hand:

And duly noted on Crossing Souls. But it is already on the list, as mentioned before. One tiny niggle, though: they've got all the classic VHS/composite video effects down pat, but in a somewhat stark contrast, the animated cut scenes feature an animation/character drawing style that is WAY too modern, so for me, that kinda stands out, and not in a particularly good way. But obviously, that's nitpicking on my part: I'm still interested in playing it, and I'll eventually get over that, but I do feel that when you're going to use effects like that, then ALL the boxes need to be ticked.

My personal all-time favorite retro skit to this day, which REALLY nailed all of that, is the brilliantly made 80's tribute "Kung Fury". You may possibly have seen it before, since I've already posted it quite a while back, when it was only just released, but just in case you missed it, here it is in all its faux-eighties glory:

It also has a simply brilliant theme song by none other than The Hoff:

Tyranexx

@NintendoByNature I'm unsure if there are any definitive hints for the quests outside of the flavor text itself (L/R for the quest blurb you see on the loading screen), where for example one quest mentioned bringing antidotes for Pukei-Pukei. Of course there's always looking up advice online or hitting the very helpful Monster Hunter Rise thread here, but I agree in-game pointers would be better lol.

By the by, my copy of Three Houses also shipped earlier than Amazon originally listed. It should now arrive early next week!

@BruceCM Thanks for the link! With all the talk I've seen about the game, I'm surprised the original release is that old. Or maybe time flows by too fast. XD On ReBirth, did you mean to tag me? That previous post was the first I've heard of the series.

@MarioLover92 Maybe it's a gearhead thing, but I've never understood the appeal of noisy vehicles just for the sake of it. I'd like to keep what I can of my hearing into old age, thanks....

On that Wii: I did check, and it definitely is GCN-compatible. It was funny because I didn't know for YEARS that it could do that! I was very thrilled...until I started looking up prices for the games I was interested in lol. Wii Sports is a fun, casual game, one of the closest things to gaming I can get other members of my immediate family to do lol. My favorite games are boxing, tennis, and bowling.

Glad you seem to be having fun with Blazing Lazers! As for the TurboGrafx-16, I wasn't even aware that machine existed until I came across posts of others reminiscing about their experiences on the platform. That one was slightly before my time.

@ThanosReXXX I've actually been trying to ramp them down the sizes of the monster posts a bit, but then I get dragged off on explaining a point or tangent and often end up close to the same length as before....

@bimmy-lee Hah, gotta love the fur children, even if they grind our gears a little sometimes! Leaf stripping AND rod removal? Sounds like you have quite an interesting case of lovable yet adjusting dog on your hands.... I don't currently have a pet. I'd love one, but I don't feel I'm home enough to properly care for a dog and don't really wish for any indoor animals. Unfortunately, putting an animal outdoors where I live is suicidal due to heavy traffic at certain times of the day.

I love the Switch eShop's wish list, though I wish it would remove a game from said list if you purchase it through the eShop. Seems weird to leave it on there otherwise. As for River City Girls, it's a game I'd try for free if given the chance, but I don't know if I'd buy it; fighting games and beat-em-ups, while I don't dislike them, usually don't hold my attention for long. Duly noted on the great music though!

Currently playing: Monster Hunter Rise, Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia

Switch Friend Code: SW-3478-2466-4791 | Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

Tyranexx

@TheJGG In terms of puzzles, I tend to try and solve them on my own unless I'm irrevocably stuck. Then I'll willingly turn to a guide for at least a nudge. Usually that's enough, but there are rare cases when I need to look up the full solution. I played most of the games you mentioned blind in terms of story and most puzzles, but I did use guides for many of them when it came to item upgrades, collecting, etc. I'm rarely a completionist with video games these days, with the exception of most Zelda games. I made an exception with Breath of the Wild though; I've dumped 135+ hours into the game so far and STILL haven't 100%ed it! Or grabbed the DLC yet for that matter. As for Link's Awakening and, by extension, both Oracle games, the later dungeons get pretty tricky. In my first playthrough of Link's Awakening DX on the 3DS several years ago, I had to look up how to progress in Eagle's Tower at one point.

To be fair, the first time I tackled the Forest Temple in OoT, I also had quite a headache at the time. It worsened as I kept playing, but I knew I didn't have much of the dungeon left and stubbornly tried to power through it all. I finally had to stop just before reaching Phantom Ganon as my headache had reached "Icepick status", which is often accompanied by some nausea. All those sensations coupled with that psychedelic tune hammering it home definitely didn't help matters. In terms of temple themes from the game, I much prefer the Spirit Temple (especially the first ~30 seconds), the Shadow Temple (Love the drumbeats in the background, I feel they nailed the sound effects perfectly), and the Fire Temple (Both versions, but I actually prefer the version that replaced the chanting; it seems creepier). I mostly agree on Wind Waker's dungeons being a bit unimpressive when compared to other series entries. The Earth Temple, as mentioned, is the only major standout in my book, but that's mainly due to the general setting (Yes, I like temples with undead themes lol) and how enjoyable I find Jalhalla's fight to be.

On XCX: You've nailed why I like exploring in most games so much: there's always some cool secret to find, be it from something useful to just a nice little Easter Egg. I didn't know about the enemy types earning their names from the elements, that's an interesting tidbit! The names were some of my favorite things about the game, though it's been long enough that I've forgotten most of them. XD

I'm actually not bothered that Breath of the Wild doesn't seem to adhere to the timeline in any concrete way, though it has been fun to look at a few of the theories floating around. I'm interested to see what direction the sequel takes the series. I think some of TP's similarities to OoT actually hurt its reputation a little, at least with those who played the latter. As mentioned previously, TP was my first Zelda game, so I had nothing to compare it to and had a blast after giving it another chance. Perhaps nostalgia is partially why it ranks so high in my book, but I feel like it handled a majority of its story well, had plenty of interesting mechanics, had some interesting items (I really wish the Spinner had seen more use!), mostly amazing bosses, and some excellent music (Midna's Lament anyone?).

On Octopath Traveler: Confesson....I own the game, but haven't played it yet. I feel like I should get a move-on now that the team responsible for it is working on Project Triangle Strategy, but I at least have until next year to potentially shove it in. Of course, I've been saying that about a lot of games lately....

I could never get a good feel with Riki like the other characters. In hindsight I wished I'd spent more time with Melia, but I don't think her play style quite suited me; she played like a shaman/mage. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I didn't like relying on the elemental orbs and their cooldowns for attacks. Seven was a decent hitter for me, kind of a DPS/melee damage dealer and decent backup tank in the right situations. Right as Reyn you say?

Oof. Forced grinding in Kingdom Hearts III? I don't mind some grinding, but extensive periods of it get old fast IMO. I probably would have went with Arendelle too, though that choice would have been a hard one; I like both movies/areas! Correct; from what I've gathered, KH is basically a FF + Disney fanfiction mashup that actually got greenlit many years ago.

I'd say the world has a ways to go on a lot of things, but getting this bug under sufficient control is one of them! Still working my way through. Hopefully by the time my sister's wedding rolls around, everything will be less nuts.

Currently playing: Monster Hunter Rise, Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia

Switch Friend Code: SW-3478-2466-4791 | Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

ogo79

bimmy-lee wrote:

@ogo79 - I shoulda looked at those pics a little longer than I did, there’s several clues on the packaging & extra articulation, but awesome regardless. I didn’t even know about that Origins line. My son reeeally wants some MOTU figures, so I’ll look into these.

scare glow has risen in price online, im talkin about the version ive got on hand. i payed 15 bucks at the store for him 4 days ago. hes twice that online. im looking to get a second one, if i find two, ill pick you up one. ive got pretty secure connections to say the least

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

ogo79

@ThanosReXXX

ThanosReXXX wrote:

@ogo79 Well, then you did break one promise to yourself already.

i think yer right...
@bimmy-lee

bimmy-lee wrote:

scare glow has risen in price online, im talkin about the version ive got on hand. i payed 15 bucks at the store for him 4 days ago. hes twice that online. im looking to get a second one, if i find two, ill pick you up one. ive got pretty secure connections to say the least

the_shpydar wrote:

BruceCM

Yeah, well, I hadn't heard of the rebirth stuff at all, so I was checking I'd found the right info, @Tyranexx.... Definitely do try to get around to Octopath, though

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

TheJGG

Now that HotGoomba has taken a sabbatical, I took a look at the vacation/goodbyes thread. It's a nice addition that'll give people good temporary or permanent sendoffs. People like @Losermagnet, @Ryu_Niiyama, and @Tyranexx all took long spells away from the site at various points in time, but I'm lucky enough to be in their presence now. It's quite depressing when you really think about it but it's a very firm reminder that behind every avatar and username is a real person. I'm a real person too of course. So... to anyone reading this that isn't an active forumgoer, don't feel bad about taking a break.

As Nintendo says in their own games: "You've been playing for a while. Why don't you take a break?"

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic