Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 46,721 to 46,740 of 96,481

NintendoByNature

It's been a while. Wanted to check in and say hello to everyone. Hope you're all doing well.

NintendoByNature

Heavyarms55

I'm officially old. I showed the kid I've been baby sitting and helping with the learn from home stuff, the first episode of Pokemon. It first aired on September 8th 1998 in the US. Now I'm an adult and showing it to a kid who was born well over a decade later. Feels so weird.

I just realized, my dad did the same with me, showed me the shows he watched as a kid too.

Anyway, Pokemon TV has an absolute ton of episodes for free to watch on their website (at least in the US, not sure about elsewhere) and to my utter shock, no ads! When I saw that it was free, I thought it would be commercials like every 5 minutes, but nope, not even Pokemon related ads. Very nice!

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Tyranexx

Jeez, when you put the original Pokemon episode into perspective like that...I do feel old. That makes me think of when my mom introduced me to some of the Hanna-Barbera cartoons. I still love watching some of those lol.

Yeah, the Pokemon anime was basically an ad. I fell for many of the multimedia crazes as a kid. Pokemon, Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Monster Rancher, Mega Man NT Warrior (based on the Battle Network games), Medabots....I fell out of some of these over time, but I still quite enjoy a certain Blue Bomber, Pokemon, and Digimon.

@NintendoByNature Hey, long time no see! How's DQ XI going?

@Heavyarms55 Outside of intentional breeding and hunting in some older games, I never really dealt with shinies much lol. Some lament that they're easier to obtain, but I'm fine with that. It likely preserves some time and sanity.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

NintendoByNature

@Tyranexx yea, its been busy! Dq11 has been fun. Nice and relaxing, graphically its appealing and everything. Im about 10 hours in. It might be one I finish in early next year since AoC will be here in 4 weeks. I also kind of want to grab oceanhorn 2 😋

NintendoByNature

Vinny

Guys, just think about this concept: Kirby but he has an angry expression and has "Damaged" written on his forehead. The youngsters will love it!

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

Tyranexx

@NintendoByNature Glad you're enjoying it! I still need to play XI, but the Dragon Quest games I have played were very enjoyable. If online impressions are anything to go by, it's definitely a keeper.

I'm still gonna wait a bit on AoC. Still need to look into the Oceanhorn games; I've heard the first one was pretty good!

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

MarioVillager92

Recently I started replaying A Link Between Worlds. Was in the mood for a Zelda game and I missed playing it back in 2013, so there ya go. I wonder how much heart pieces/upgrades I can find on my own. I'm replaying Super Mario Galaxy 2, as well.

@Tyranexx Oh that's cool your mom introduced you to those Hanna-Barbera cartoons, I remember seeing reruns of them (and Looney Tunes) on Cartoon Network way back when I was like 10. I vaguely recall seeing a few Disney cartoons from the 80s and 90s as well. But I had way more memories with those Disney movies we had on VHS. Previews included. XD I do remember seeing Goof Troop and Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers (and I think DuckTales - I still remember the theme song from way back when) though.

And yeah, I totally remember those anime you've mentioned too. Especially Pokemon and Digimon. I saw some episodes of Mega Man NT Warrior as well. Oh and as a kid, I watched a lot of Sonic X during each and every Saturday morning - that was during my Sonic phase. XD

@NintendoByNature Doing pretty good, just staying healthy. I really need to finish that DQXI demo. lol

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

NintendoByNature

@Tyranexx yea, its definitely worth your time( and time you'll need lol).

I dont blame ya. Take your time if your backlog is built up. Oceanhorn 1 was solid. Nothing ground breaking but worth the price..especially when its on sale so often.
@MarioLover92 glad to hear you're doing well. Good news during these times rjays for sure. Based on what I heard its about 10 hours long! That's about what I'm at right now haha. The story is good so far. There's one character i absolutely love but im sure he's hated by most. Hes kind of outlandish and wild but it works compared to the others, and thats sylvando. When you meet him you'll know it lol

NintendoByNature

ogo79

@App
hey whats up?
didnt know you had backloggery
i added you.

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

Heavyarms55

@Tyranexx They're really not much easier to obtain. Not really. There's a bunch of people who seem to think they are, because of all the people who hack or spam use exploits to get them. But for those of us who play mostly legitimately it's still significantly difficult. Yes, post XY they're twice as likely, going from about 1 in 8000 to 1 in 4000 base odds. But 1 in 4000 base odds are still extremely rare. Looking at multiplayer, you'd think they were really common, but many people fail to understand that there are both a lot of cheaters among the fan base, and among legit players, we want to show off our favorites.

The rarity has simply gone from outrageous to somewhat more possible.

I've managed to build up a reasonably sizable collection. But I've played literally thousands of hours over the last 20+ plus years. As a result, I can put together a reasonably coherent competitive team of all shiny Pokemon. And I do like using my shiny Pokemon whenever I can. I know mine are pretty legit, and that's good enough for me. And I like seeing other people show off theirs too. Except when they are all hacked. That still bugs me.

Edited on by Heavyarms55

MarioVillager92

@NintendoByNature Yeah that's what I heard too, the demo being about 10 hours. So far I enjoyed what I played!

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

Tyranexx

@MarioLover92 I also really like a lot of the original Looney Tunes episodes as well. Same with Tom & Jerry. Classic Western cartoons along with anime have cemented my love of animation well into adulthood. I don't understand why some consider it to be a medium only fit for children. /shrug

I didn't get to see a lot of the Disney shows outside of what migrated over to the local ABC station on Saturday mornings, but I did have some exposure to Ducktales through some old VHS tapes I used to have. I'm pretty sure I've seen Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers and Goof Troop in passing, but I didn't have normal access. We only had local channels at home until my parents got basic satellite programming when I was in high school.

@NintendoByNature Haha, it better be! HLTB doesn't list it as a short haul. Which I'm fine with as long as I'm enjoying a game and it isn't too grindy.

On Oceanhorn: precisely. I can usually wait until most digital games go on sale before snapping them up, especially some that go on sale every few months.

@Heavyarms55 I knew the odds to get shiny Pokemon were move favorable, but only 1 in 4000? I thought I'd read that this number is more favorable in recent games, but only under certain conditions. My memory is foggy on the exact details though.

I can definitely see the difference between those who actually put in the work and those who cheat. I suppose the latter speeds up the process, but IMO it would be more rewarding (Not to mention, ahem, legal) to actually hunt for and/or breed what you need.

Outside of some obvious scenarios with really rare Pokemon, how can you tell a shiny Pokemon has been hacked? I'm pretty sure I received a hacked shiny Typhlosion via Wonder Trade a few years ago in either Sun or Omega Ruby. I bred it to get a normal Cyndaquil for my own use and then traded it on as I was uncomfortable owning it. Some would call me nuts, and I did consider keeping it, but....

Eel

If you got a shiny from wonder/surprise trade it's probably either...

Hacked. These usually come with urls as the name or trainer and are little more than spam.
Or
Cloned. Probably from a previous generation with easy cloning glitches.

I myself once caught a legit shiny celebi, cloned it a few times using in-game glitches in Crystal, and sent a few on wonder trade in Pokemon Moon

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Heavyarms55

@Eel you can see if it's from an earlier game at least. Gen 5 and earlier has no symbol, gen 6 a pentagon and 7 a sort of rounded cross thing.

Could be legit and some jerk wonder trading away his brother's pokemon. Lol

@Tyranexx you can get much better odds with the shiny charm and the masuda method of breeding. About 1 in 512 doing that. Still very rare, but doable.

Eel

@Heavyarms55 earlier Pokémon have “it traveled through time and space to meet you” or something like that in the information tab.

Once Pokémon go is fully supported in Pokémon home, we can also expect to see an increase in shiny surprise/wonder trades during Community Days, I’d say.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Heavyarms55

@Eel Oh yeah. I forgot about that detail.

And yeah, I am sure some people will surprise/wonder trade some community day shinys away.

I just had a great idea! If PoGo integration comes before Christmas, then I will send some out Christmas eve, hoping some kids get them.

kkslider5552000

So I just found out something bizarre about Sega in the late 90s. The last Sega Saturn game released in North America was in November of 1998. The Sega Dreamcast came out in September of 1999.

Did Sega literally just do nothing in North America for 10 months? And yes this includes 3rd party games, not a single video game was released for the final 10 months on the Saturn, before the Dreamcast, in North America. I even looked into the Game Gear and Genesis even to see if they maybe kept on like the NES did after SNES was already out. Genesis got 1 game in 1998, so I'm guessing, not so much.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic