Forums

Topic: Rock Music Discussion

Posts 121 to 140 of 282

SpringDivorce

Oooh, dissing Staley is fightin' talk to me. Have you ever seen the unplugged set? Absolutely magical.

I really have no time at all for Metallica, I just find their songs too long, the soloing tedious, and I don't understand how they became so big. Oh well.

SpringDivorce

jump

So Hellfest have just announced their line up for next year. It's like Hellfest has decided to have a big wiener contest and just slapped Rock am Ring, Download and the other rawk festivals around. The Nine Inch Nails day has been curated brilliantly and as impressive as the headliners are the undercard is so good too.

Touchwood I can get tixs and then I will have the insane task of deciding between clashes.

Untitled

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

SpringDivorce

Woah. I'm massively surprised to see Deftones topping a bill while Korn are only second. Just had the impression for some reason that Korn were the more commercially successful of the two.

SpringDivorce

jump

@SpringDivorce I'd say thay are very close but KoRn are always touring so it's less of an occasion to see them. I've seen Korn at their own gig maybe twice but I've seen then about ten times as they are at the festivals so often.

Hellfest is bit of a weird fest anyway with it's booking, like The Offspring have headlined it before and now they are 3rd down on the mainstage. That Deftones is great too as the main two stages are clashless so the day goes The Offsrping, Five Finger Death Punch, The Dropkick Murphys, Volbeat, Deftones.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Lugazz

@jump Man I would love to go to Hellfest, and that lineup for 2022 is great!
Alas, I don't plan to be living in France anymore, future is still quite foggy to buy tickets

Lugazz

jump

@Bizaster In all honesty I may have to skip seeing Metallica and Gun n Roses if I do get tixs. I've seen them both before and they are clashing with The Exploited who I've somehow never managed to see and Monster Magnet who are one of my personal favourite bands plus I've seen Metallica so many times already. I once went 3 years in a row seeing them as they just play ever fest I went to.

If I was to limit it to 5 bands I'm most excited to see it would probably be the awesome Frank Carter plus as he's not big outside of the UK it means he's got a low mainstage spot so he's not gonna clash with someone big, Monster Magnet who are lyrically one of my favourite bands ever, The Distillers as I've not seen them since they have reformed and I was very drunk when I did see them, NIN as they are one of the greatest live bands I've ever seen and Volbeat who are just really fun live.

Nicolai wrote:

Rambler

The breadth of music at that festival is fantastic!
Something for everybody who likes rock and metal.

ATR and NMA on the same night and stage is an odd mix.

Would've thought Godflesh and Napalm Death would both be headliners. Having Om and High on Fire seems like a missed opportunity to have Sleep do some tunes (or tune).

Rambler

Rambler

@Slowdive
The issue I've always had with Lush is that they started out as an excellent shoegazer band then morphed into a fairly mainstream (if very successful) generic indie band.

The Chameleons were brill though.

Rambler

Rambler

@Slowdive
I didn't know that about Lush! Will have to check out the new stuff!
Ride did a couple of albums recently, but I wasn't too take with them (unlike the albums Mission of Burma did when they reformed which were brilliant).

Among my school friends a lot stick to music from the school days, and I imagine that a lot of people do view their music like that - they have their bands and singers and it's not really going to change.
From general online comments, this seems to manifest itself in that "modern" music is rubbish.
Nothing wrong with liking what you like, just a pity that it has to come out as a disparaging online comment on the tastes of others.

Considering the above makes me look like some sort of uber-music snob, I'll admit to being disillusioned with modern guitar bands of the indie rock variety.
That's just me though, I'm sure that The Kids will love them.

Rambler

jump

Rambler wrote:

Considering the above makes me look like some sort of uber-music snob, I'll admit to being disillusioned with modern guitar bands of the indie rock variety.
That's just me though, I'm sure that The Kids will love them.

There's a few newish indies who I think are good like Wolf Alice (it took me seeing them live to get into them first), Fontaines D.C., IDLES, Phoebe Bridgers, Royal Blood etc but looking at the Mercury Prize announcement it does come off as a bit dull at the momennt. Time to get into dubstep instead or is that fad over yet? ;p

Also has Slowdive quit the forum again as all of his posts are missing so it looks people are talking to an imaginary friend.

At the moment I've listening to The Pretty Reckless,

and Zack Wylde,

and Creeper

Any fans of these in the house?

Nicolai wrote:

jump

@Bizaster Tom Morello is on a right tear at the moment and seems to be doing loads of “featuring Tom Morello” songs. He’s worked with Frank Carter, The Bloody Beetroots, Pussy Riot, The Pretty Reckless and a few more in the last couple of years. Its probably because after Prophets of Rage split up so they can reform Rage Against The Machine which was then canned because they couldn’t tour with the lockdown restrictions he’s been keeping himself busy just doing collaborations instead.

The Pretty Reckless on paper just sounds like it shouldn’t work, a teenage actress from a tween drama wants to be a rock star now just screamed rubbish but they are a legit good rock band, and not even they have a couple of good songs good, their albums are filled with deep cuts. I feel like I should apologise to them as I could of seen them during their early/first album days in a small club but I had just assumed it was something like Paramore which I was too cool for and my mates saw them without me.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Rambler

@jump
Ironically (in the Alanis Morisette way), this is the first year I seem to have a bit from the Mercury list, with Hannah Peel, Sault and the Floating Points / Pharaoh Sanders / LSO album.
Once again metal is conspicuous by its absence.

I do like a bit of dubstep, but it prefer that stuff that sounds like instrumental grime, rather than the Casper or Skrillex stuff.
Get yourself some Footwork/Juke mixtapes

Anyway, er rock. I've been listening to Filth by Swans quite a bit recently:

Rambler

jump

@Rambler yeah, metal is never a Mercury Prize type thing but I’m not sure if there’s any legit brilliant UK metal albums that could be entered this year. Maybe Bring Me The Horizon or Architects (which was okay) but I can’t think of much else.

Nicolai wrote:

Rambler

@jump
Possibly Rose Golden Doorway by Pulled By Magnets, Seb Rochford's grindy sludge band.
By including that they could cover both the token jazz and metal albums.
Not heard of Architects, so will check them out

Rambler

jump

@Rambler Architects are one of the faces of the current UK scene, they are getting fairly big now too and sold out Wembley arena back when gigs were allowed. While She Sleeps are another band who are becoming the face of the UK metal scene too. Personally I’ve always been more of a punk guy than a metal guy myself so a lot of the ones I like a more of the hardcore crossover type stuff than flat out metal so I’m not that in sync with the metal scene.

Speaking of jazz metal, I was very disappointed with Shining’s new song. I’m all for experimenting with a bands sound but this seems to have just dropped any resemblance of jazz metal in favour on getting onto one of those “party hard” playlists on Spotify.

Nicolai wrote:

jump

First post lockdown gig booked for Gorillaz in a couple of weeks! 🤘

Nicolai wrote:

skywake

Hey, any rock fans interested in a MP3 DL code? Have one for Queens of the Stone Age - Like Clockwork... . Picked it up on Vinyl yesterday despite already having it on CD so, spare code I'm not going to use.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

jump

Ah like Clockwork, that was around the time Josh started producing Artic Monkeys to start making them sound more rock n roll but it just ended up with Queens getting more indie/Britpop.

I do miss the sense of danger they had in the Rated R/Songs for the Deaf days.

Nicolai wrote:

skywake

@jump
Probably an unpopular take but IMO Like Clockwork is their best release. Villans was definitely a step back though so I agree with that but Like Clockwork is a pretty good mix. Then again, Radiohead and Blur are two of my top 3 most listened to artists over the last 10 years so I may be coming from a different angle.....

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

roy130390

I didn't even know that we had a rock thread... And you are even talking about QOTSA! Anyway, this year I discovered a band called Dead Pirates. UGO and Recorded by the devil are 2 songs that I really liked from them, if anyone is interested.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3916-4876-1970

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic