Forums

Topic: Rock Music Discussion

Posts 141 to 160 of 184

CactusMan

@Rambler

That is mostly interesting only thing I´m aware couse I live on the border with Belgium. There must be rockbands all over the world.

Edited on by CactusMan

Bamm!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6657-1971-4787

Rambler

@SpringDivorce
I was in Leeds around the same time (& age), so lots of cool gigs in houses, squats, clubs, etc. Also 1 In 12 in Bradford for their hardcore weekenders.
Lots of fun

@CactusMan
I was thinking that most people from English speaking countries probably only really know bands from US and UK (plus Aus and NZ, of course).
This being an international forum, it might be a way of recommending bands not from the Anglosphere?
Having said all that, I'm not really thinking in a global internet way, so it's probably moot.

Rambler

jump

Rambler wrote:

I was thinking that most people from English speaking countries probably only really know bands from US and UK (plus Aus and NZ, of course).

I find it weird so many non-British/American bands will sing in English despite it not being their home language. There's a good few like that I think of Beatsteaks, Ghost, Volbeat, Gojira, Sabaton, Teddybears, Refused, The 5 6 7 8s etc.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Bizaster

Hey everyone! New question today.

Today’s question is:
What is an UNDERRATED album from one of your favorite artists?

My pick will have to be either Houses of the Holy by Led Zeppelin or Warning by Green Day.

Currently playing: Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition

My mean game score is 7.52/10!

DISCORD USERNAME: Bizaster#5354
INSTAGRAM: @bizasterous
FRIEND CODE: Ask me!

Switch Friend Code: SW-3465-0905-0701 | My Nintendo: RPGamer

CactusMan

@Bizaster Hot Cakes by The Darkness. That album had some really decent tracks.

Nimrod by Greenday is under rated too. I think Dookie and American Idiot deserve the praise.

Edited on by CactusMan

Bamm!

Bizaster

@CactusMan cool, I’ll check out that album! I don’t think I’ve heard of that band before.

And also YEAH, Nimrod is really underrated too. So many powerful Green Day tracks off of that one.

klingki

For underrated album, the first one that jumps into my head is Saturday Night Wrist by Deftones. For the most part, when I see fan rankings, it's never near the top. And even the band themselves don't really like it as it was made during a super tumultuous time when they almost broke up. When I saw them live in Korea, they played exactly 0 songs from it as I recall, haha. But for me, it's one of my favorites. It's strongly in the top 3, and possibly top 2, of their discography. I get why people dislike it, but I just think the songs are really good, if a little overproduced.

EDIT: And for a future question (or maybe now if people want to answer it) one that I always find interesting is: What are some of your top "guilty pleasure" bands/albums?

Edited on by klingki

klingki

SpringDivorce

@klingki

Hmm interesting choice. For me, despite the odd flash of brilliance it's definitely bottom of the pile, I even listen to Gore more than I do SNW.

Underrated for me is definitely Pearl Jam's 'No Code'. Seems to be mostly thought of as the beginning of their decline, whereas I think it's their last truly brilliant album. Backspacer aside.

Don't think I really have any 'guilty pleasures' as such, though I do own a Breaking Benjamin record so I guess I must have thought of them as decent at some point.

SpringDivorce

CactusMan

@Bizaster

Whith the Darkness the lead singer Justin Hawkins was a bit to gay and addicted to be accepted by the general public the 2 former albums that band made were better. If you don´t know them start by listening to Permision To Land.

Edited on by CactusMan

Bamm!

klingki

@SpringDivorce Yeah I get it. Probably how most people feel about SNW is how I feel about Gore. Gore, to me, just sounded kind of soulless. It's near the bottom for me, though even a bad Deftones album is still a decent album overall, haha. I know it's probably further blasphemy, but my least favorite of their albums is Adrenaline. Most put that one near the top. For me, it's just a little bit too raw and unrefined. You could tell where they were on the road to, but it wasn't quite there yet.

I'll get into guilty pleasures a bit later if that question gains any traction, haha

klingki

Bizaster

@klingki great pick, and - AMAZING QUESTION. I’m gonna do that for tomorrow’s question

Bizaster

@SpringDivorce I agree, No Code is such a great Pearl Jam album!

Bizaster

@CactusMan Nice Guys Finish Last is one of my all-time faves by Green Day.

jump

@CactusMan I remember the year that The Darkness were big, every festival had everyone singing their songs and the next year not a single person cared, which wasn't really surprising as they were a novely band rather than the comeback of cock rock hair metal.

It's still bit of a joke they managed to headline Reading festival with a 30min album plus a Xmas song when the other headliners were peak The White Stripes Elephant era and Green Day American Idiot era who had enough material to fill 2hours playing let alone 30mins.

My guilty pleasure...maybe Reel Big Fish. They are stupid and silly but they own it.

Not really a guilty pleasure but sort of related to the topic in the sense of liking a band you wouldn't expect to is how I 'm a fan of The The Interrupters who are more on the lighter side of things as as they are a ska punk band and I've got a hoodie of theirs. I've got a few band hoodies like Motorhead, Skindred etc and I'm in a crowd at a gig and no one cares but when I wear my The Interrupters one someone always comes up to me to say they are a fan of the band, it's happened to me when I've worn it to see Ghost, Royal Blood, Slaves, Rammstein, Frank Carter and a few more too which I wouldn't imagine there be that much crossover with.

Give them a listen, I reckon they must be Ghost and Rammstein fans' guilty pleasure.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

SpringDivorce

@klingki

Wouldnt say Gore is soulless, but it's hampered by a terrible production job, it sounds like one big muddy mess. Adrenaline I absolutely adore, in fairness I don't listen to it often these days, but when I'm in a bit of a crappy mood I play it LOUD. I love the rawness, you can tell it's a band finding its feet, but it still has more texture than a lot of rap-rock / nu-metal stuff of its time. And I agree, the 'worst' Deftones record is still a goal that most bands would aspire to in fairness.

SpringDivorce

klingki

@SpringDivorce You're right, I worded that poorly. I think you nailed it with the production. It really sucked out the extra "oomph" that feels like it should be there.

klingki

skywake

Bizaster wrote:

Today’s question is:
What is an UNDERRATED album from one of your favorite artists?

Radiohead - The Bends. Probably one of my favourite Radiohead albums but it, understandably, gets lost in discussions about Radiohead.

Some Aussie musics: Pond, TFS, Genesis Owusu
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

jump

@skywake I would say it's normally an argument between The Bends, Kid A or Ok Computer as their best one.

I've actually met Thom Yorke before and he was pretty cool.

Nicolai wrote:

Bizaster

I see a lot of you have already answered this one - awesome! But I’ll just ask it officially:
What is a GUILTY PLEASURE rock band, song, or album that you enjoy listening to?

For me, my guilty pleasure bands have to be:

• Korn (they’re an absolute laughing-stock, but I do love songs like Freak on a Leash and Blind.)
  • Three Days Grace (the most unironic overly emo, edgy band ever. I love songs like I Hate Everything About You and Animal I Have Become.)
  • Finger Eleven (they're... meh, but I love some of their songs.)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic